• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Mario 64 footage?

JavyOO7

Anyone have the first-ever released Mario 64 footage?

I heard it was never released on the Internet, but at television and such. I'm just wondering if any of you know where to find it, because I'm really interested in seeing it.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
are you talking about the footage of mario running around in a city? Or something later. Not sure if you would call that Mario 64 footage or not.

JavyOO7

Naw, not that one. That was Super Mario Sunshine.

But it's EXACTLY what I'm talking about.

That was pretty badass seeing the first ever footage of SMS in Spaceworld, hearing the music and seeing the goo and waterpack and the city was so badass.

I'm just wondering if anyone has seen the first ever footage of Mario 64. How was it like if you ever saw it?

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
JavyOO7 said:
Naw, not that one. That was Super Mario Sunshine.

But it's EXACTLY what I'm talking about.

That was pretty badass seeing the first ever footage of SMS in Spaceworld, hearing the music and seeing the goo and waterpack and the city was so badass.

I'm just wondering if anyone has seen the first ever footage of Mario 64. How was it like if you ever saw it?

No, I was referring to "project reality" or whatever it was referred to at the time footage of mario running around a realistic-modern city. Never saw it in video form but pics were in gamefan I believe.

JavyOO7

No, I was referring to "project reality" or whatever it was referred to at the time footage of mario running around a realistic-modern city. Never saw it in video form but pics were in gamefan I believe.

Really? Man, that sounds cool. Can someone help me out with finding screenshots of that?

I know it's pretty ridiculous, but I just think it's awesome viewing games for the first time. Like SMS or such.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
I'd be interested in seeing this, too. The first time I ever saw Mario 64, it was some tiny screenshots in GamePro that were from a beta of the game that wasn't too far from what the final product looked like. I'd be interested in seeing some earlier footage.

jett

D-Member
Er...I saw pictures of the Project Reality BULLSHIT. It was just a realistic CG background with *2D* pictures of Mario characters pasted on them. Not real time and not a game.

I've also seen pictures of the first public showing of Mario 64, didn't quite look as good as the final product, backgrounds were more simple. :p

Chittagong

Gold Member
Super Mario 64 was unveiled for the first time ever in Shosinkai '95, November 1995 in Tokyo. Featured along it playable was Kirby Bowl (or Ball), no other games. On video they showed a Zelda tech demo, Wave Race 64 (back then a futuristic boat racer), Blast Corps, GoldenEye 007and some others.

The first screenshots were published on the very same day on Nintendo.com. The Super Mario 64 screenshots featured Mario spinning Bowser from the tail, standing in front of the castle and in the entrance hall (which looked entirely different back then), among others Also the HUD was very different. Many of the textures were placeholders.

I didn't come accross any official video footage back then, I don't remember even seeing any B-rolls on it.

Video footage might have been featured in some promotional N64 stuff during Spring 1996, but the first time I remember was the pre-E3 footage of the vastly progressed version on CNN just under the show.

Now, that makes me feel old.

SantaC

prjr.jpg

I remember downloading that footage as the show was happening. Can't remember the site I did it from, but the wait for each video (14.4k modem) was incredible.

Almost thought I'd confused this with E3, but Shoshikai? had WaveRace in the cool top down perspective and E3 had the really bland open ocean racing (Which has greatly enhanced in the next couple months.)

Edit: It may have been from Nintendo's Japanese site.

jarrod

Banned
Shoshinkai '95 debuts...

Super Mario 64
mario01.jpg
mario02.jpg
11.jpg
17.jpg

Wave Race 64
wave01.jpg
wave02.jpg

Super Mario Kart R
kart01.jpg

Star Fox 64
sfox01.jpg

...and a bunch of other early stuff was shown too (The Legend of Zelda, Pilot Wings 64, Kirby Bowl 64, Body Harvest, Buggy Boogie, Blast Dozer, Creator, Star Wars 64, etc)

human5892

Queen of Denmark
^^^
Hmm, I remember seeing all of those screenshots in some form or another.

Perhaps I really did see the games at their earliest.

SFA_AOK

There were a couple of UK TV shows at the time (Bad Influence and Gamesmaster) that showed footage from the show. Good times. I remember the week before, Dominik Diamond said something like "Next week, Nintendo will be showing off it's new Ultra 64 console and if they're to be believed, it should be more powerful than my mum."

SantaC

wasn't tim boon on that show? I remember watching it on sky one. (no i am not british)

Gamemaster = Ultimate Rad, executer etc?

SFA_AOK

SantaCruZer said:
wasn't tim boon on that show? I remember watching it on sky one. (no i am not british)

Gamemaster = Ultimate Rad, executer etc?

The one with Tim Boone was Games World, same production company (Hewland), different show. Ultimate Rad, executer... they sound like the "expert" gamers that were on the Friday show (Beat the Elite). It's quite mental to think we had a game show that was on every week night all the way back then heh heh

SantaC

SFA_AOK said:
The one with Tim Boone was Games World, same production company (Hewland), different show. Ultimate Rad, executer... they sound like the "expert" gamers that were on the Friday show (Beat the Elite). It's quite mental to think we had a game show that was on every week night all the way back then heh heh

That show was hella fun. I remember that the contestants had to spin a wheel which game they would play. That old lady was owning it up in Columns. I also remember that Ultimate Rad was a reviewer on NMS. (Nintendo Magazine System) What happend to that magazine? I imported it every month.

digit

Nintendo wants to create virtual worlds for the player rather than limit themselves with footage from recorded video, which is what current CD-ROM games are limited to.

WTF? I know Nintendo's decision to go with cartridges (and its difficulties with 3rd parties because of that) have been discussed to death. But it's funny to see EGM back in the day falling for Nintendo's justifications. Even in 1995, it was clear that CDs offered a lot of advantages besides FMV -- lower production costs, faster manufacturing, room for high quality sound files, pre-rendered backgrounds.

SFA_AOK

SantaCruZer said:
That show was hella fun. I remember that the contestants had to spin a wheel which game they would play. That old lady was owning it up in Columns. I also remember that Ultimate Rad was a reviewer on NMS. (Nintendo Magazine System) What happend to that magazine? I imported it every month.

Yeah Gamesworld was indeed quite good, some of the shows during the week weren't so great but the two gaming challenge shows were good, the reviews programme was good and it had the games mistress ;)

Not sure I remember Ultimate Rad but I'm sure it's Radion Automatic, he wrote for EMAP mags for ages, he was a writer back before Mean Machines split into MM Sega and NMS. NMS became Official Nintendo Magazine which I think JohnTV writes the occasional column for. (I think ONM is the only gaming mag that Emap has left...) Not sure what happened to Rad, maybe he started writing under his real name? ;) heh heh...

SantaC

SFA_AOK said:
Yeah Gamesworld was indeed quite good, some of the shows during the week weren't so great but the two gaming challenge shows were good, the reviews programme was good and it had the games mistress ;)

Not sure I remember Ultimate Rad but I'm sure it's Radion Automatic, he wrote for EMAP mags for ages, he was a writer back before Mean Machines split into MM Sega and NMS. NMS became Official Nintendo Magazine which I think JohnTV writes the occasional column for. (I think ONM is the only gaming mag that Emap has left...) Not sure what happened to Rad, maybe he started writing under his real name? ;) heh heh...

oh now I remember it was radion automatic :D

digit said:
WTF? I know Nintendo's decision to go with cartridges (and its difficulties with 3rd parties because of that) have been discussed to death. But it's funny to see EGM back in the day falling for Nintendo's justifications.

It wasn't just EGM, and it still happens today.

COCKLES

being watched
SFA_AOK said:
There were a couple of UK TV shows at the time (Bad Influence and Gamesmaster) that showed footage from the show. Good times. I remember the week before, Dominik Diamond said something like "Next week, Nintendo will be showing off it's new Ultra 64 console and if they're to be believed, it should be more powerful than my mum."

Haha. Yeah I remember Bad Influence footage of Mario. First time I saw it. Looked fucking incredible....only those super crisp hi-res images didn't quite equate to the same thing you saw when it finally arrived on actual N64 hardware and shitty lo-res resoultion.

cja

digit said:
WTF? I know Nintendo's decision to go with cartridges (and its difficulties with 3rd parties because of that) have been discussed to death. But it's funny to see EGM back in the day falling for Nintendo's justifications. Even in 1995, it was clear that CDs offered a lot of advantages besides FMV -- lower production costs, faster manufacturing, room for high quality sound files, pre-rendered backgrounds.
And a lot of disadvantages, very high media player costs, slow access and high seek times, necessity for a separate device to save, noise, heat, increased size of machine and less durable media to mention a few.

That demo of Mario and pals in a city was running on N64 dev kits. It was primarily used to show off the mip-mapping and level of detail techniques possible on N64 (some might remember the checkered-textured water tower). The Museum demo was used just to show off unique 3D interfaces.

There was also a game called Project Onyx, which a few magazines ran stories about. It was a first person game that had you on a fire breathing dragon, exploring huge worlds. It looked unique and quite good. I'm not sure if it was ever released for SGI machines (definitely never came out for N64), or if it was scraped. Anyone have shots of it on the net?

SFA_AOK

COCKLES said:
Haha. Yeah I remember Bad Influence footage of Mario. First time I saw it. Looked fucking incredible....only those super crisp hi-res images didn't quite equate to the same thing you saw when it finally arrived on actual N64 hardware and shitty lo-res resoultion.

Are you sure you're thinking of the same showing? The one I'm talking about is when Violet Berlin was actually playing the game (that and that Kirby game). The game looked better when it was released... if it's direct feed footage you're talking about then I can see there being some disparity between the 2 but not anything huge. Then again I seem to remember Rare games like Banjo Kazooie looking much better in Edge than the final game because of the debug units the game was running on for those shots so maybe it was something like that.

COCKLES said:

Uh, Mario 64 was never anything other than 320x240. What are you smoking?

jett

D-Member
That demo of Mario and pals in a city was running on N64 dev kits. It was primarily used to show off the mip-mapping and level of detail techniques possible on N64 (some might remember the checkered-textured water tower). The Museum demo was used just to show off unique 3D interfaces.

Are you nuts? :p Those pictures appeared on a Nintendo Power in *1993*. No, they didn't run on N64 dev kits. The city was CG, and the characters weren't running either, they were static sprites. The "musuem" demo as you call it is once again regular CG. The only connection it had to Nintendo was that photographs of some characters(like Luigi on a Kart) appeared as pictures in the wall.

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
DJ Demon J said:
Oh, right, sorry. Ultra 64 was awesome, KI had everyone stoked, and then what happens, we get the shitty N64. "Consumers don't want CDs!"
The Ultra 64 in arcades had nothing to do with Project Reality or the real Ultra 64/Nintendo 64. It was a 32 bit arcade board by Midway with the Ultra 64 name slapped on it for marketing reasons.

jarrod said:
Shoshinkai '95 debuts...

Super Mario 64
mario01.jpg
mario02.jpg
11.jpg
17.jpg

Wave Race 64
wave01.jpg
wave02.jpg

Super Mario Kart R
kart01.jpg

Star Fox 64
sfox01.jpg

...and a bunch of other early stuff was shown too (The Legend of Zelda, Pilot Wings 64, Kirby Bowl 64, Body Harvest, Buggy Boogie, Blast Dozer, Creator, Star Wars 64, etc)

I love looking back on early N64 games. Many of the games went through such dramatic changes from their initial released screenshots.

I remember reading about Wave Race where you would press a button to change the shape/structure of the vehicle to take corners better (but go slower) and on the straights you could change into another form to go faster (but have harder controls). It was something like that. Sounded really interesting!

JavyOO7

Damn guys, thanks! It's freaking badass seeing those beta shots of Mario 64. Thanks a bunch!

Feel free to give out more beta shots of other Nintendo games if you don't mind, I love seeing this stuff.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
dark10x said:
firstlook_kirbylogo.gif

Ha ha ha!!!
Heh.

I remember it was something like "Kirby Bowl 64" for a while, too. I have an old Nintendo Power promotional video with a short clip of Kirby balls rolling around a checkered landscape.

Top Bottom