• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First official clip from Netlfix's Death Note - Light Meets Ryuk

LotusHD

Banned
Sold. Looks awesome.

The fun part in never having read the source material, is I'll get to see this and really enjoy it, and then read the original stuff and enjoy that, maybe even more.

Always watch the movies first guys, watching it the other way around is only disappointing.

How were we supposed to know :p

aaaaa0

Dafoe makes Ryuk sound good, but why is he convincing Light to kill someone? Weird way to treat the character. Takes the initial impetus off Light which in turn moves drastically away from his original character motivations....

Doesn't seem against the rules though.

http://deathnote.wikia.com/wiki/Rules_of_the_Death_Note
How to Use: XIX
It is prerequisite for the Death Note used in the human world that living god of death makes sure that the humans in the human world use it.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Don't like it. I get that it's just an adaptation and not going to follow exactly, but Light seems incredibly dumbed down in this teaser. Not to mention, what was fantastic about Ryuk's entire presence was that he was 100% neutral to the situations Light put himself in, but in this it seems like he's guiding Light to write the name.

Still, Ryuk looks dope. Will probably skip this since I know I'll constantly be comparing it to the source material and don't think it'll live up to the (first half of the) anime.

Isn't it good to do something different? There's always the JP films if you want a 1:1 adaptation.

Doesn't seem against the rules though.

http://deathnote.wikia.com/wiki/Rules_of_the_Death_Note
[/spoiler]

Don't like it. I get that it's just an adaptation and not going to follow exactly, but Light seems incredibly dumbed down in this teaser. Not to mention, what was fantastic about Ryuk's entire presence was that he was 100% neutral to the situations Light put himself in, but in this it seems like he's guiding Light to write the name.

Still, Ryuk looks dope. Will probably skip this since I know I'll constantly be comparing it to the source material and don't think it'll live up to the (first half of the) anime.
Exactly to the bolded. New adaptation, sure. Changes to characters, sure. Completely shifting the foundations of the story??? Ehhh

Khezu

I'm ok with Ryuk being pushy because it takes away more from Lights character, and makes him look even more like a punk. Fuck Light.

Really hoping Dafoes gets a chance to go absolutely crazy and be maximum Dafoe.

Sold. Looks awesome.

The fun part in never having read the source material, is I'll get to see this and really enjoy it, and then read the original stuff and enjoy that, maybe even more.

Always watch the movies first guys, watching it the other way around is only disappointing.
Yup, this. I only have a loose understanding of it, so I'm not disappointed. It's certainly an American adaption.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
To me, it looked like Ryuk pushing Light was just to speed up the story. It's a combination of a few different scenes that happened in the manga. Instead of Light seeing the assholes, Light testing it out on someone else, and Light freaking out about Ryuk in different spots, they're all just happening at once.

I don't really have an issue with it. It isn't like Ryuk can't interfere, he just enjoys fuckery.

kewlmyc

This take on Light seem interesting enough. Not the suave genius like in the JP version, but still clearly a sociopath as shown by making the first kill a decapitation.

Defoe as Ryuk is still one of the best casting choices ever though.

Decapitation for his first kill, with no regard for the trauma inflicted on the girl he's trying to protect??? alright dude lol.

Yeah, it's like the character is a sociopath or something.

CD'S BAR

they should have cast someone with nicer handwriting. maybe it's because he's apparently left handed (not that there's anything wrong with that)

Yeah, it's like the character is a sociopath or something.

Did you watch the trailer? Unless they're trying to fuck with us, he'll try to redempt himself or some other bullshit.

I WANT him to be a sociopath that thinks he's always right. That doesn't seem to be the angle they're trying in the movie, and I fucking hate that.

I knew from the beginning this would already be pretty different, so I don't mind the changes in character.

Honestly, I was surprised at how much the footage hooked me. I wanted to see how the decapitation woukd happen!

kewlmyc

Did you watch the trailer? Unless they're trying to fuck with us, he'll try to redempt himself or some other bullshit.

I WANT him to be a sociopath that thinks he's always right. That doesn't seem to be the angle they're trying in the movie, and I fucking hate that.

I don't see how a person who gets a book of death that decides that decapitating a high school bully is clearly justified in anyway isn't a sociopath. Yeah, he can try to redeem himself, but he's clearly not in a right state of mind at the beginning.

cj_iwakura

The first trailer seemed pretty clear that Light's going full psycho.

Order

This is a lot of anger based on nothing

I don't see how a person who gets a book of death that decides that decapitating a high school bully is clearly justified in anyway isn't a sociopath. Yeah, he can try to redeem himself, but he's clearly not in a right state of mind at the beginning.

The first trailer seemed pretty clear that Light's going full psycho.

"We're not the good guys anymore!"
*putting himself in harm's way to save a girl*

I can see what they're trying to do from kilometers away.
Wanna make Light a bullied nerdy kid? Sure, go for it. But please don't assassinate what made the character fun by having him have second thoughts about his actions, or thinking about anyone else but himself.

This is a lot of anger based on nothing
I mean, sure. If the movie ends up being good I'll eat tons of shoes. But I have a pretty strong feeling my stomach won't have to digest cheap leather for quite some time.

kewlmyc

"We're not the good guys anymore!"
*putting himself in harm's way to save a girl*

I can see what they're trying to do from kilometers away.
Wanna make Light a bullied nerdy kid? Sure, go for it. But please don't assassinate what made the character fun by having him have second thoughts about his actions, or thinking about anyone else but himself.

As someone said earlier, the faster you realize that this is going to be a different take on Light and Light Turner =/= Light Yagami, the more you'll potentially like this movie.

HardRojo

Dafoe DaGOAT. I'd watch a dub with his voice replacing Ryuk's.
Not sure if I like the idea of Ryuk pushing Light into it, he should be more of a neutral "in for the ride" kind of guy, while Light slowly embraces the Death Note, plus starting with a decapitation on a person who could easily be related to him seems excessive.

As someone said earlier, the faster you realize that this is going to be a different take on Light and Light Turner =/= Light Yagami, the more you'll potentially like this movie.

A different take on a character or just naming a random character Light just because? What they're apparently trying to do doesn't really remind me of any facet of Light. If so, why call him Light in the first place? Go full chuuni and call him Shadow, or Heavy.

Servbot24

Banned
L is gonna have to be a way different character too if they're actually going with the loner Light route

He seems very different to me already. Completely different mannerisms in the voice, as well as appearing in public.

This is going to be a tough watch for me. Normally I am all for messing around with source material, but Death note is my favorite anime ever, so it's gonna be tough to see anything other than excellence (which is bound to be the case)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
This is where you play the long game of never watching what people recommend you, knowing that if something is popular enough you will get to see a movie or tv show version.

Speaking of long games, I have actually been planning this adaptation of Death Note by Netflix for the last 45 years, knowing that you'd make this post and trigger my reply. Your post erased my self-imposed amnesia and now I am making this response to own you! All according to keikaku. Now to murder some orphans.

kewlmyc

A different take on a character or just naming a random character Light just because? What they're apparently trying to do doesn't really remind me of any facet of Light. If so, why call him Light in the first place? Go full chuuni and call him Shadow, or Heavy.

Brand recognition? It's still a story about how a Light killing people and a L trying to catch him. That hasn't changed. The setting, races, and personalities have slightly. I appreciate it since if I wanted genius Light, I have 4 other adaptions I can look for. Let this one stand out and do its own thing, especially when the director has a proven track record. This isn't Dragonball Evolution, with drastically different settings and a no name director and the only live action adaption of the material.

jetsetrez

I can't imagine this will do it justice, but Dafoe played that incredibly. His acting and the look of Ryuk seem amazing. I don't like that Ryuk egged on his first kill though, and that Light straight *decapitates* someone he knows for picking on a girl.

Aselith

Really not liking the change of light from the epitome of a privilege to a bullied kid.

Completely changes how you treat him and is in line w/ false narratives re: school shootings back in the '90s/'00s.

Is he bullied? He's seeing the girl get bullied but that doesn't mean he is, right?

He could see himself as some sort of avenger.

Hydrus

Not of fan of this version of Light. Dafoe is amazing though. I wish they would of just put him in make up. Ryuk looks a little too fake as cgi. Still interested in this.

KarmaCow

Not a fan of Ryuk pushing Light to make the first kill, especially when he writes down the death to be caused by decapitation so flippantly. It actually would have made more sense in the original context of Light just reading the line in a book he found but it's worse when he's being told by a monster in his room.

With the other trailer having Mia seemingly pushing Light to go further, they seem to be going with Light being some kid who was led astray and I really hope that is not the case. That's the take Death Note subverted and what made it novel.

Top Bottom