• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Pro Evolution Soccer 4 screens

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Screens from the PC version I guess, but all 3 platforms are mentioned in the press release.

531_0004.jpg

531_0005.jpg

531_0006.jpg

531_0007.jpg

531_0008.jpg

531_0009.jpg

And a render :
531_0001.jpg

A few other screens on my site

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Ho yes forgot to mention that. It's coming out for PC, PS2 and Xbox at the end of 2004.
No mention on Xbox Live in the press release, so I guess it won't be for this year. Not a surprise.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Konami of Europe warms up Pro Evolution Soccer 4
First details about PES4 with more realism, all new moves, enhanced set pieces, and on-screen referees

Football fans all across Europe will rejoice this Autumn, as Konami of Europe confirms the first details of what will rate as one of the most anticipated games of 2004: Pro Evolution Soccer 4. Due for release on PlayStation 2, PC DVD and for the first time in the series' history, the XboxTM videogame system from Microsoft, Pro Evolution Soccer 4 once again sets new standards in control, aesthetics and realism.

Developed by the legendary Shingo 'Seabass' Takatsuka and his team of footballing experts at Konami Computer Entertainment Tokyo, Inc. (Konami TYO) Pro Evolution Soccer 4 marks a quantum leap forward for both the Pro Evolution franchise and the football genre as a whole. With the series famed for its intuitive controls and the realistic movement of players on and around the ball, Konami TYO has further pushed the envelope with a wealth of new moves and tricks that flow fluidly within the fast-paced action. New free kick and penalty techniques can now be used, while an innovative indirect free kick move has been implemented to add further variety to set pieces.

This level of realism has also been extended to the game's many players. More individuality can now be found in the ways players run, move both on and off the ball, and how they control the ball. Likewise, even more advanced player stats that govern every aspect of their play affect how well players can bring a high or fast ball under control, hit it first time past an encroaching defender, or flick the ball on to a team-mate. As such, the total control that has become synonymous with the series will ensure Pro Evolution Soccer 4 is even closer to the real thing.

A new dribbling system is also available giving more control as players go one-on-one and try to pass opposing players, while crosses and cut-back passes can now be made with more precision. In keeping with this level of detail, player likenesses are also enhanced to match the noticeable individuality of the world's greatest stars. Both international and club players are instantly recognisable due to almost photo-realistic graphics, while additional realism is added via kits that get progressively dirtier as the match progresses.

Pro Evolution Soccer 4 will also boast an on-screen referee for the first time. Whereas previous versions have featured an un-seen referee, Konami TYO's game now features an official who runs up and down monitoring play - and even steps in to calm things down when the action gets heated! The referee AI has also been further refined, with advantage being played for minor infringements, while each of the referees available will react instinctively to fouls and the flow of play depending on how strict they are deemed to be.

With every aspect of Pro Evolution Soccer 4 refined and enhanced, it is no surprise that fans of the series are already hailing it as the definitive football title. Further additions to the game include more club and international teams, extra formation screens to offer total control over the way each team lines up and plays, while the ever-popular Master League has also been vastly improved. A new 'My Best Eleven' option allows fans to save their greatest teams for prosperity, and players can now be forced to retire through severe injury during the course of a Master League season, forcing the user to work around the loss of key stars and restructure around the abilities of suitable replacement players.

It all adds up to a new milestone in football gaming, and football fans will already be counting the days until Pro Evolution Soccer 4 kicks off for PlayStation 2, PC DVD and Xbox later this year...

Pro Evolution Soccer 4 will be released for PlayStation 2, PC DVD and Xbox in Q4, 2004

From games press

I hate konami. They cancel the ISS series which is a good thing because it was a piece of crap. So why can they not put pes4 on the gamecube? it will sell in europe ffs

hey theres a Petition *signs*

The worse part from Konami is the fact they based the WE6FE game in GC (after the PS2 version was in the millions in sales), to bring the series to Europe or not.......it should the other way around, bring the game to Europe and then wait and see...

cja

NOOOOoooo, how are Konami ever going to overtake EA when they show such excruciating pictures to the main consumer base? Give us Rooney smacking 'em in against Croatia or Lampard swivelling for a glorious equaliser. It could have been worse I guess, no pens on show :(

No point in the Xbox release if it doesn't include a real widescreen option or Live play. The PC version last year was moaned at for not getting the balance right so a PS2 to PC to Xbox "straight" port is not going to suffice. Are they developing the ports in Tokyo or Milton Keynes is another question that will hopefully be asked soon.

So why can they not put pes4 on the gamecube? it will sell in europe ffs
Konami only see money hats, they never did a localisation job on the older GBA winning eleven games. It has nothing to do with userbase. The excuse seems to be no GameCube version because WE6FE sold poorly in Japan. The GC version was only publicly announced after the PS2 version hit retailer shelves and released in the dead season, weakest, excuse, ever.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
*sigh* no live play :(

I'll probably just pick up the PS2 version again, i have a feeling konami are gonna skimp on the xbox port.

cja said:
Konami only see money hats, they never did a localisation job on the older GBA winning eleven games. It has nothing to do with userbase. The excuse seems to be no GameCube version because WE6FE sold poorly in Japan. The GC version was only publicly announced after the PS2 version hit retailer shelves and released in the dead season, weakest, excuse, ever.

If they were getting money hats why would there be a GC version and an upcoming Xbox version? They don't release GC versions because the GC simply isn't popular in the territories where soccer is popular.

Redbeard

Banned
There is still a possibility of it being online. From CVG:

Amazing news, all of it, but what about online play, for the love of God?! A Konami spokesperson refused to be drawn, telling CVG: "There's still plenty of time before PES4 releases, and we'll be revealing further plans for the game over the coming months." Denied. But with the competition already online, Konami will be acutely aware of the need to take its killer series the next logical evolutionary step. PES4 on Xbox Live? The justice would be ulitmate.

Deg

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
If they were getting money hats why would there be a GC version and an upcoming Xbox version? They don't release GC versions because the GC simply isn't popular in the territories where soccer is popular.

Not quite. GC was outpacing XBox to begin with and ISS sales were higher on GC. In Japan GC has higher sales than Xbox from what i am looking at. Feel free to prove me wrong int hsi area :p

I dont think sports games sell as well on GC. Anyways there's always Fifa from EA. But i dont know how the market would react to PES as its japanese and it will get very high reviews and accolades unlike Fifa in Europe which could give it a push to the GC audience if its seen as a very high quality game.

"GC was outpacing XBox to begin with and ISS sales were higher on GC. In Japan GC has higher sales than Xbox from what i am looking at."

I'm talking about Europe. Konami's not going to release WE on the Xbox in Japan, just like they didn't release SH4 on the Xbox in Japan. They know it's not going to sell there so they don't even try it.

cja

SolidSnakex said:
Well GameCube is beating Xbox in France and maybe other footie strongholds such as Spain and Italy. The Xbox userbase isn't that far ahead in the likes of Germany and the UK. It is hard to imagine a simple port for GC being uneconomical. There are far more GBAs than Xboxes in Europe but we have never seen a GBA localisation of WE. Konami are just playing silly games with exclusivity for small license fee reductions.

If Konami, or any other Japanese games company, want to ever seriously compete with Electronic Arts they need to start supplying a real multi-platform strategy. FIFA 2005 is going to be on at least eight formats, PES4 on just three.

cja said:
Well GameCube is beating Xbox in France and maybe other footie strongholds such as Spain and Italy. The Xbox userbase isn't that far ahead in the likes of Germany and the UK. It is hard to imagine a simple port for GC being uneconomical. There are far more GBAs than Xboxes in Europe but we have never seen a GBA localisation of WE. Konami are just playing silly games with exclusivity for small license fee reductions.

If Konami, or any other Japanese games company, want to ever seriously compete with Electronic Arts they need to start supplying a real multi-platform strategy. FIFA 2005 is going to be on at least eight formats, PES4 on just three.

WE GBA didn't see a Euro launch because it did so badly in Japan where the series is also popular. Why do you think there hasn't been a new GBA WE in around 2 years?

I don't think Konami's really trying to compete on the same level as FIFA or else you'd see them go full on multiplatform with the series. But they're fine with how it is. They sell around 3-4 million units of the series each year even though its only on 1 platform.

cja

SolidSnakex said:
WE GBA didn't see a Euro launch because it did so badly in Japan where the series is also popular. Why do you think there hasn't been a new GBA WE in around 2 years?
Both GBA WE games sold around 50K iirc. Thats a lot better than most Konami GBA games in Japan that seem to sell 5K in their first week then disappear from the charts. Maybe Konami did decide it wasn't worthwhile to continue the GBA winning eleven games. This still doesn't give us a good reason why they didn't localise WE GBA for the European market. Virtually no development costs, 10m+ userbase and easily the most popular sport in the territory yet Konami don't release the game because they don't think it'll sell? That is hard to believe.

I don't think Konami's really trying to compete on the same level as FIFA or else you'd see them go full on multiplatform with the series. But they're fine with how it is. They sell around 3-4 million units of the series each year even though its only on 1 platform.
EA aren't fine with their soccer marketshare, they continually release new management games and have just profited from the hugely successful Euro 2004. I guess this is why they dominate the category with mediocrity and have Konami taking up the scraps with a vastly superior product.

SolidSnakex said:

Cmon, we're talking about the company(KCET) who said in an interview that they i had to ask Sony permission to develop PES/We for other consoles.........there's simple no reason to release PES4 for Gc, instead of porting WE versions of the PS2 and then release them after PS2 version has been around for ages, and base the Gc sellings for possible future versions on the system, perhaps they should try the most pro-football continent in the world............Europe.

Also i find ridiculous to release the game on the pc and not on gc and xbox, i bet with you that 4 of 10 people who will get the game on the pc wont pay for it............PIRACY......

cja said:
Both GBA WE games sold around 50K iirc. Thats a lot better than most Konami GBA games in Japan that seem to sell 5K in their first week then disappear from the charts. Maybe Konami did decide it wasn't worthwhile to continue the GBA winning eleven games. This still doesn't give us a good reason why they didn't localise WE GBA for the European market. Virtually no development costs, 10m+ userbase and easily the most popular sport in the territory yet Konami don't release the game because they don't think it'll sell? That is hard to believe.

I guess this is why they dominate the category with mediocrity and have Konami taking up the scraps with a vastly superior product.

Well 50k isn't good enough when the PS2 versions sell around a million units. So that's why you don't see the GBA versions being ported around or being made anymore. Why would they localise the game when there's a good chance that it's not going to sell?

You make it sound like WE is selling terribly or something and needs to go multiplatform to prevent that. The series sells incredibly well even though its only on 1 platofrm. Could it sell more if it was released on more? Sure. Would it be a significant amount more? Very doubtful.

jarrod

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
GameCube has moved more consoles in Japan than XBox has in Europe. And Microsoft has been trying to score PES since the 3rd instalment.

shpankey

not an idiot
To be honest, this looks exactly like PES3 on the PC. I don't see any improvements at least in graphics.

Also, I hope they finally implement true analog control. Oh yeah, and put some more power behind a shot... they are so weak.

shpankey

not an idiot
And don't count FIFA 2005 out of the equation. UK's Official Playstation 2 magazine and a report from a Spain internet site have already claimed FIFA 05 has actually one upped the PES series. That FIFA has basically copied them and made it even better!

You have to read Spanish...
http://www.meristation.com/sc/avances/avance.asp?c=PS2&cr=5436

then there's this...

Exciting FIFA 2005 Article

Euro 2004 Total Kits Package: UK's Official Playstation 2 Magazine has got its hands on FIFA 2005, and boy were they impressed.

Most would agree that FIFA 2004's gameplay is behind PES, and so does OP2-UK. But after playing a very early version of FIFA 2005 they are amazed with the progress and now have high expectations on EA Sports' upcoming game, saying:

"And with 2005 they might even get to the end of the track and produce a game that not only sells better than Pro Evolution Soccer but actually is better than the mighty PES."

Check out the full article for new screenshots and reasons why they think it might topple PES this year.

http://www.soccergaming.com/imagedi...y.jpg&caption=OPS2UK+FIFA+2005+Article&site=2

Socreges

Banned
UK's Official Playstation 2 magazine and a report from a Spain internet site have already claimed FIFA 05 has actually one upped the PES series. That FIFA has basically copied them and made it even better!
Yeah, but no. Both sites have said that FIFA may top PES, but they say that each year in their previews. If you want to then infer that they're stating it as fact, be my guest.

They should keep in mind, though, that WE7IJ is a much better game than the last PES. And WE8/PES4 will be a much better game than WE7IJ.

Regardless, FIFA truly is coming along. At least they seem to be narrowing the gap. Perhaps they'll pressure Konami to grab more licenses.

cja

I gotta rant....

"FIFA has been massively improved"
"FIFA will give ISS/PES a run for its money"
"FIFA may be better than Konami's game"
"FIFA is awesome"
"FIFA is excellent and just slightly short of ISS/PES in quality but makes up for it with official licenses and superior presentation, 9/10"

Every fucking year I swear! Every year utter bollocks. We've been hearing this stuff since FIFA bloomin' '96. Why should we believe EA or the paid for marketing rags this time around? No games magazine will get respect from me until I see "FIFA IS SHIT" on its cover, then I'll know they are honest and haven't been influenced by advertising revenue.

shpankey

not an idiot
cja said:
I gotta rant....

"FIFA has been massively improved"
"FIFA will give ISS/PES a run for its money"
"FIFA may be better than Konami's game"
"FIFA is awesome"
"FIFA is excellent and just slightly short of ISS/PES in quality but makes up for it with official licenses and superior presentation, 9/10"

Every fucking year I swear! Every year utter bollocks. We've been hearing this stuff since FIFA bloomin' '96. Why should we believe EA or the paid for marketing rags this time around? No games magazine will get respect from me until I see "FIFA IS SHIT" on its cover, then I'll know they are honest and haven't been influenced by advertising revenue.

Who has said those things? Every year I hear the opposite. Every year all I have heard is "FIFA sucks again" and "FIFA is nowhere near PES". This is the first year I have heard people saying it is awesome and will give PES a run for it's money.

Can you be specific? Who are all these "magazines" you're talking about that said this stuff? And I'm not talking about one little FIFA fansite or something. List these legit media magazines you are refering to that duped you. If you were tricked into buying FIFA with all those quotes you listed, then I'd like to know by whom (?).

Also, how about having an open mind too. Just a suggestion. For many years EA's baseball sucked, but then they really came through last year with MVP. Also, for many years SEGA's basketball was awesome, then last year their game sucked ASS. Things are ever evolving in the gaming world. You can't always just make up your mind that something is gonna rock and the other will suck. At least give shit a chance to suck or excell first. No sense in putting your blinders on.

cja

Who has said those things?
The official UK PlayStation magazine for one!

Every year all I have heard is "FIFA sucks again" and "FIFA is nowhere near PES". This is the first year I have heard people saying it is awesome and will give PES a run for it's money.
People who've gone and bought, rented or played the demo say "FIFA sucks again" and "FIFA is nowhere near PES" on forums. That's after they've been fooled yet again into believing it'll be a decent game by the paid for media who always overrate the game, every year.

Can you be specific? Who are all these "magazines"
Almost every UK magazine comes up with this fluff, Edge and GamesTM being the only exceptions I can think of.

List these legit media magazines you are refering to that duped you.
Duped everyone. Continually overrated.

Gamerankings (PlayStation 1/2 versions), magazine reviews v user rating

FIFA 2004: 82% v 7.1
FIFA 2003: 84% v 7.3
FIFA 2002: 75% v 6.7
FIFA 2001: 82% v 6.9
FIFA 2000: 85% v 6.6
FIFA '99: 86% v 6.8
FIFA '97: 68% v 4.2

I'd argue these gamerankings numbers are rather favourable to EA. First with gamerankings being skewed to US gamers, dare I say US gamers may prefer a less subtle, more arcade style ten goals a game showdowns? Secondly users are supposed to have rose tinted glasses on purchases they don't wish to admit are wrong yet they still continually mark the games down by >10 percentage points.

Also, how about having an open mind too.
At least give shit a chance to suck or excell first. No sense in putting your blinders on.
Yes, every year EA cynically play on this idea of giving the game a chance. If I hear it has made a massive leap and is a worthy competitor to PES from numerous seasoned footie video game players of course I'll give it a chance yet again, by downloading and playing the PC demo, then I may think of buying it. The chances of this happening based on previous years experience is virtually zero.

Yusaku

Heh, those screens don't look one bit different than the WE7 PC I just picked up.

Is there some "Footy for Americans/Dummies" site I can read? I'm not familliar with any of the teams, their playing styles, players, etc. I've just been playing against my friend and we've just been playing with the same teams (Me as Brazil and him as North London).

Top Bottom