• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Spider-Man: Homecoming reactions

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
re9x2dwbvk9zjzqwqb1l.gif

I hate HS kids that have access to incredible labs + machine shops and the like.

I'm just jealous.

Cuburt

I'm surprised someone hasn't made a spoiler OT thread. It seems like Wonder Woman and GotG2 had spoiler threads before there was even anything out to spoil (I know since I was in both threads very early and there was still more speculation and hype than spoilers).

I'd be sitting out the spoilers until after I see it but this is getting too much like a minefield.

Mengetsu

I'm surprised someone hasn't made a spoiler OT thread. It seems like Wonder Woman and GotG2 had spoiler threads before there was even anything out to spoil (I know since I was in both threads very early and there was still more speculation and hype than spoilers).

I'd be sitting out the spoilers until after I see it but this is getting too much like a minefield.
I don't think spoiler threads are allowed anymore.

I don't think spoiler threads are allowed anymore.

Spoiler Threads are basically Official Threads now, because Official Threads are completely redundant and were always kinda dumb once everyone started discussing pre-release in the Review Threads.

So now you have Reviews/Impression Threads, and Official Threads, which are by default spoiler-filled, because what's the point of asking people who have seen the movie to gather together only to tell them that they can't actually talk about what they saw.

So now, if you wanna talk about a movie you haven't watched, you go to the review/impressions threads that pop up.

If you wanna talk about the movie, period, you go to the spoilers-allowed Official Thread.

ZeoVGM

Banned
That Zendaya spoiler is dumb

It's what I expected

I think it's fine

I put spoiler tags around what Wrench said because it sounds as if it confirms something that people have been questioning for a while, as LionPride's post then gives it that context.

So hey guys, could you please go make the OT or something? Until then, could we stop with even slightly discussing spoilers in a review thread?

Thanks. :\

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Hit a double and all of a sudden you think you're playing with the big boys.

But WW is playing with the big boys it's coming within spitting distance of GG 2 domestically and looking to end up with amongst the largest comic book movies domestically and that's as a solo movie.

Tobor

Yes, I expect a John Hughes style Spider-Man movie to be better than a decent remake of Captain America: First Avenger.

vaderise

Other than
Vulture being someone's dad and Pepper appearance
are there any legit surprising moments? Like holy-shit wise? I don't want the specifics just please tell me if there's or not.

kswiston

I hate HS kids that have access to incredible labs + machine shops and the like.

I'm just jealous.

My high school wasn't anything special academically, but we had a pretty great shop department. One of the teachers would get a junker car or truck donated from the scrap yard and then spend the course fixing it. There was a merit system that got you tickets in a raffle to win the car at the end of the course.

Yes, its that risky, ambitious, truly ahead-of-its-time storytelling that superheroes are known and celebrated for throughout the decades.

It's why the most widely-recognized-to-be-legitimately-great superhero story is the one that utterly deconstructs the genre (and also the medium) because to lay bare the simple superficiality of the collective storytelling over 70+ years and ask its fans to really look at the collection of fetishes powering the machine of juvenile male power fantasy is the biggest actual risk you could take.

And since most people can't pay that risk off, and a lot of people are just fine indulging the satisfying mythological rewards that well-done superhero storytelling can provide, I'd put forth the notion that maybe "riskiness" is vastly overrated as a positive quality when it comes to these movies.

I'm pretty tired of the criticism. I think people just use it to be negative without really understanding what they're saying.

Top Bottom