• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Spider-Man: Homecoming reactions

phanphare

Banned
Did somebody say...

Humberto Ramos?
2462919-ramos.jpg

every now and then he'll draw something where I understand what he's going for and it'll look cool

then there's the other 99% of his work where I'm just like....really?

Except that isn't what happened lol. We all saw that homemade suit. Cut the shit.

Cut what shit?

What are you even talking about.

all of the classic Spidey suits are "homemade" suits. Because Peter Parker made them. Because making a Spidey suit isn't really out of bounds. Not for normal people, not for poor people, and not for boy geniuses with access to the materials Peter Parker has access to.

Hell, this movie shows that his high school is kitted out with enough shit (that he uses to make stuff in) that the idea it's somehow far-fetched or ridiculous for him to make the suit we're seeing him wear in Civil War and this movie doesn't make any sense.

Spidey looks like SPIDEY in this universe because Tony Stark made him look that way.

Cut what shit?

all of the classic Spidey suits are "homemade" suits. Because Peter Parker made them. Because making a Spidey suit isn't really out of bounds. Not for normal people, not for poor people, and not for boy geniuses with access to the materials Peter Parker has access to.

Hell, this movie shows that his high school is kitted out with enough shit (that he uses to make stuff in) that the idea it's somehow far-fetched or ridiculous for him to make the suit we're seeing him wear in Civil War and this movie doesn't make any sense.

Spidey looks like SPIDEY in this universe because Tony Stark made him look that way.

Spidey looked Spidey in this universe before Tony arrived on his doorstep. You show that homemade suit to anybody without context and they'll tell you that's Spider-Man.

You don't credit the creation of the suit to the guy who dresses up the original template of the thing. Peter created that look. Not Tony. This is just a universe where Tony gets to him before he upgrades the damn thing himself.

I pray we avoid the Iron Spider. Don't let that thing be anything more than a gag/Easter egg. Ugh.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Just checking in.

You guys are trying to nitpick your way to a reality where Tony Stark didn't just up and gift Spider-Man's entire visual aesthetic to Peter Parker as a reward for helping him apprehend Captain America, huh?

Nah.

In the MCU, Spidey looks like Spidey because Tony Stark made him look that way.

we don't know anything for certain yet!

Let 'em know about the godawful trash that is the Iron Spider, Toa.

(because it's probably coming sooner rather than later)

stop why are you doing this

Spidey looked Spidey in this universe before Tony arrived on his doorstep.

No he didn't. Because when you ask someone "what's Spidey look like"

They don't say this:

24b349a408c46f7658433a39c6bb3fd9--captain-america-civil-war-character-art.jpg

Or this

4742077-1439227775587.jpeg

You're talking about "templates" like that means anything. And it doesn't. I'm crediting Tony Stark with what Spider-Man looks like because in this universe, Spider-Man looks like Spider-Man because Tony Stark gave him his costume.

cap-cw-spidetalkforbes-fbpic.jpg

Unless you're going to try and make the argument that Spider-Man's costume is really just the combination of red and blue colors + a spider, combined with very big goggles incorporated somewhere around the head. But I think that's a pretty bad argument.

Tony Stark created almost everything that is identifiable about Spider-Man as iconography in this universe. Not Peter. Tony.

Spinluck

Nope. its only sin was the 3D webbing. Otherwise it looks far closer to what I'd consider the real iconic Spiderman costume, which is this.

I also liked when the movies looked good and it looked red, and not soft pink.

(And people call the DCEu washed out, l-o-l)
The MCU one has those round eyes (ugh) and those horrible black parts, and the webbing is so thin it's not visible from afar. Worst cinematic costume by far.

Choose the worst pic possible to suit your narrative brehs

SpaceWolf

Banned

They don't say this:

Or this

You're talking about "templates" like that means anything. And it doesn't. I'm crediting Tony Stark with what Spider-Man looks like because in this universe, Spider-Man looks like Spider-Man because Tony Stark gave him his costume.

Unless you're going to try and make the argument that Spider-Man's costume is really just the combination of red and blue colors + a spider, combined with very big goggles incorporated somewhere around the head. But I think that's a pretty bad argument.

Tony Stark created almost everything that is identifiable about Spider-Man as iconography in this universe. Not Peter. Tony.

Bobby was goddamn right.

They don't say this:

Or this

So you're crediting him with creating this suit while ignoring the inspiration he took from Peter Parker's own design? That's what you're doing here? Lol.

Never mind the fact that both those homemade suits also look like Spider-Man. As do most of the various alternate Spidey suits.

Cut what shit?

I'll start out by saying: you're right. Yes. But at the same time, had Peter shown up with the same suit that he made himself, we'd have folks asking how he made it, like they did with the last two Spidey origins. Had Peter shown up with his homemade hoodie suit, folks would be complaining about how it didn't look right, like what's happening with JL Flash wearing a cobbled together suit. Basically, people into comics and movies and comic movies like to nitpick. Although, maybe if Peter's introduction wasn't so rushed in Civil War it could've hit a better balance.

JayCB

Hopping back a tad, I've liked every Spidey costumes on film, but 3D webbing is revolting and makes Homecomings the best by proxy.

So you're crediting him with creating these things while arguing the inspiration he took from Peter Parker's own design? That's what you're doing here? Lol.

Using "lol" as punctuation ain't helping you, Mug.

Peter didn't create the Spider-Man costume. Tony did. I don't know how you can argue differently.

Inspiration != creation. This is fairly obvious. The idea that Peter gets the credit for that costume design because he wore a red hoodie and goggles doesn't make any sense. The gulf between the two actual looks is so far that even if you argue (and you easily can) that Tony used that cam footage as a starting point for his costume design, the actual design itself is so wildly different that there's no way you could give Peter credit for it.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

Peter didn't create the Spider-Man costume. Tony did. I don't know how you can argue differently.

Inspiration != creation. This is fairly obvious. The idea that Peter gets the credit for that costume design because he wore a red hoodie and goggles doesn't make any sense. The gulf between the two actual looks is so far that even if you argue (and you easily can) that Tony used that cam footage as a starting point for his costume design, the actual design itself is so wildly different that there's no way you could give Peter credit for it.

have you seen Homecoming yet?

it is possible Peter confirms he designed the suit and had Tony manufacture it

its possible you guys

So you can't give Peter credit for the webbing and the lenses, so, the Spidey look isn't something he created? Lol.

That ain't punctuation. That's just me laughing at you. But I'm sure you'll be aight.

have you seen Homecoming yet?

it is possible Peter confirms he designed the suit and had Tony manufacture it

its possible you guys

Eh, I doubt it. Possible. But not likely given the footage we've seen. He really does seem surprised with what Tony hands him.

So you can't give Peter credit for the webbing and the lenses, so, the Spidey look isn't something he created? Lol.

you sound dumb right now, Mug.

. But at the same time, had Peter shown up with the same suit that he made himself, we'd have folks asking how he made it, like they did with the last two Spidey origins..

And I'd argue that's a dumb fuckin' question, and people asking it should be answered with "why do you care and what does it matter."

Grant Morrison, tires on the batmobile, etc. etc.

Again: The idea a kid genius can't gussy up a leotard real pretty in his spare time doesn't make any fucking sense when I can hit a comic-convention and see someone pounding down artists alley in a goddamn film accurate POWER LOADER made out of cardboard boxes.

And I'd argue that's a dumb fuckin' question, and people asking it should be answered with "why do you care and what does it matter."

Again: The idea a kid genius can't gussy up a leotard real pretty in his spare time doesn't make any fucking sense when I can hit a comic-convention and see someone pounding down artists alley in a goddamn film accurate POWER LOADER made out of cardboard boxes.

Again, you're right here.

But 15 years later we're getting... http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1396203

As Alienous (I think it was you) said earlier, this could all have been fixed with a simple additional line in Civil War. Have Tony invite Peter to make a new suit after he's recruited.

you sound dumb right now, Mug.

I'd argue you sound even stupider, but *shrugs*

Though I do agree that people saying Peter couldn't possibly make that suit don't actually know what the fuck they're talking about. Nigga manufactured the webbing, he's got the know how and tools to make a proper suit. And likely would have, this is just an iteration that Tony got to first.

Toa TAK

Banned
I'm dying

edit: I want a Power Loader now.

Again, you're right here.

But 15 years later we're getting... http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1396203

There's always gonna be some slackjawed yokel who needs to have it explained to them how the Coyote can look down and see he's not standing on a cliff before he pulls a placard with the word "yipes" on it from his butthole and lets gravity claim him.

That doesn't mean you need to carve time out of your narrative to build explanations into the movie for Cletus' confused ass.

He'll make it.

Top Bottom