• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Spider-Man: Homecoming reactions

We can get closer.

CmFimVKVAAAza7o.jpg

Just remove all those weird-ass, pointless black lines covering the blue section of the outfit and we're golden, darling.

Y'know, those lines don't bother me anymore. Maybe it's the constant exposure but I think they make Spidey fit into the MCU quite well (where everything has extra lines).

It's a good way to have the classic costume but also put your own mark on it without going too far.
While I don't MIND the lines on Spider-Man's costume, in general, that over-stylizing of character designs is a major gripe I have with modern character designs in general. It isn't just the movies (even though you seen it a lot more post-00s super hero movies), but you see it in the comics AND in LOTS of video games. It just looks, IMO, tacky. It is an artistic choice that I think looks like crap, and probably originates in the belief that "complex" equals "superiority", hence the more complex-looking a characters costume looks, the better looking or "cooler" it is. To some people, I don't know, they might eat this shit up. Look at the Bayformers and how they over-complicated their designs. I think the bulk of that just looks like shit. Spider-Man, however, is kinda low on the spectrum, to the point that it isn't THAT bad as a LOT of others I've seen so far.

As Alienous (I think it was you) said earlier, this could all have been fixed with a simple additional line in Civil War. Have Tony invite Peter to make a new suit after he's recruited.

Agreed. It maybe, probably would have been considered a scene that slowed down the Civil War film itself, but a scene in Homecoming where Parker's was in the Avengers Tower workshop in a parallel to the Howard Stark and Cap scene with his shield, only Tony's throwing suit ideas at Parker and Parker has a doodle of the original Ditko/Romita style that Tony gives up and just adapts that one? That would be swell. And 200% won't happen.

Spinluck

Because in the MCU, people can believe anything— but not that Peter Parker created his own superhero suit.

"He's too poor!"
"where would he get the stuff?"
"He can't even afford a DVD player"
"Look at him."

Again, we currently live in a reality right now where you can hit a convention center in any city on any weekend and find some 18 year old kid with minimal resources and enough time can design, manufacture, and rock a film-ready superhero costume and spend all day getting hit up for instagram flix. But boy genius Peter Parker needed Tony Stark to make and then bequeath upon to him a Spidey Suit.

It's not that hard to believe that Stark based the visual aesthetic on Peter's struggle Spidey suit, down to the color scheme and eyes. Peter even mentions something about how he needed the goggles to help him "focus" his senses or whatever.

After all, it's not like he didn't create the Webshooters, which Stark seemed to be pretty impressed by.

Nitpicking is a fun game and you can do it to nearly every aspect of films in this genre.

Yeah, please find the 18 year old comicbook convention going nerds that can make shit like this.

It's not that hard to believe that Stark based the visual aesthetic on Peter's struggle Spidey suit, down to the color scheme and eyes. Peter even mentions something about how he needed the goggles to help him "focus" his senses or whatever.

After all, it's not like he didn't create the Webshooters, which Stark seemed to be pretty impressed by.

Nitpicking is a fun game and you can do it to nearly every aspect of films in this genre.

Yeah, please find the 18 year old comicbook convention going nerds that can make shit like this.

Those 18 year old con goers aren't boy geniuses, and they typically don't have the resources Peter's shown to have access to.

He could've made that suit. Him creating the webbing is infinitely more impressive.

Spinluck

In a world where some people mistake Deadpool for Spider-Man, it's hard for Peter's homemade suit to draw any sort of relation to what we know Spider-Man to look like...

Keep reading, Spin. I get there.

I did, I just can't side with you on this then.

I know this universe stans for Tony hard, but I can't really hate on the direction they went.

Peter in Civil War has access to such a vast wealth of resources that he has to dumpster dive to create this computer

tXUdqHl.png

Clearly, he could have made the Spider-Man suit, portable drone and all. Clearly.

edit: for the record, I don't really disagree with the criticism that Peter (as far as we know) doesn't design the classic look of the suit. I DO think that bitching about him not creating the tech is just that; fanboy bitching of the lowest order.

Peter in Civil War has access to such a vast wealth of resources that he has to dumpster dive to create this computer

tXUdqHl.png

Clearly, he could have made the Spider-Man suit, portable drone and all. Clearly.

Have you seen the school he goes to in Homecoming?

Actually, he might be a new student there? Hmm.

Regardless, you don't seem to understand how impressive his web fluid is. And he created that. He can make a suit.

SpaceWolf

Banned

tXUdqHl.png

The whole point of that computer was to emphasise Peter's surprising genius and creativity as a budding engineer.

Perhaps he could have made a proper Spider-Man suit if he had the money, but you're right, he doesn't.

But then the billionaire benefactor literally walks into his room.

Peter: Is this grant, like, got money involved or whatever?
Tony: Yeah. It's pretty well funded.

Civil War should have simply featured Tony simply giving Peter resources to build a new suit, not Tony literally making Peter's iconic Spiderman suit for him.

Alienous

Having knowledge of chemistry and mechanical engineering isn't exactly like having knowledge of textiles. Genius can be constrained, and I'd argue that it suits Peter Parker to have put all of his energy into making web-shooters and far less into researching how to and making an outfit. It doesn't seem like he'd be that concerned about his public image.

That said I really would like him to have designed it, as like a 'wouldn't it be cool if' costume, just because that seems like something a teenager who gains superpowers would do. Having Tony take a cobbled together outfit and turn it into an iconic superhero costume is a little eh - that's creativity, and doesn't seem befitting of Tony Stark. Like, I'd even prefer if Ned designed the suit, because it seems like something a teenager would spend their time on.

As for the tech that makes sense as Tony Stark's influence.

Having knowledge of chemistry and mechanical engineering isn't exactly like having knowledge of textiles. Genius can be constrained, and I'd argue that it suits Peter Parker to have put all of his energy into making web-shooters and far less into making an outfit. It doesn't seem like he'd be that concerned about his public image.

That said I really would like him to have designed it, as like a 'wouldn't it be cool if' costume, just because that seems like something a teenager who gains superpowers would do. Having Tony take a cobbled together outfit and turn it into an iconic superhero costume is a little eh - that's creativity, and doesn't seem befitting of Tony Stark. Like, I'd prefer if Ned designed the suit, because it seems like something a teenager would spend their time on.

Agreed on the bolded.

But how does Tony Stark lack creativity?

The whole point of that computer was to emphasise Peter's surprising genius and creativity as a budding engineer.

Perhaps he could have made a proper Spider-Man suit if he had the money, but you're right, he doesn't.

But then the billionaire benefactor literally walks into his room.

Civil War should have simply featured Tony simply giving Peter resources to build a new suit, not Tony literally making Peter's iconic Spiderman suit for him.

Trouble is how rushed it is from Peter's introduction to showing up at he airport. And considering how quickly they zip around the globe in Civil War, that didn't leave them much time.

How it plays in Civil War, Stark had been watching this young teen, built him suit, and recruited him to go fight WWII vets in Germany. Tony's kind of a weird guy.

Alienous

Agreed on the bolded.

But how does Tony Stark lack creativity?

He seems like a fuction focused guy. Even when he's designing the Iron Man suit he's like "Eh, throw some colour on there Jarvis".

I don't see him looking at Peter's suit and sketching out a web pattern and thinking "Oh man, that'll look really cool". But a teenager with spider-based powers would absolutely do that.

Trouble is how rushed it is from Peter's introduction to showing up at he airport. And considering how quickly they zip around the globe in Civil War, that didn't leave them much time.

How it plays in Civil War, Stark had been watching this young teen, built him suit, and recruited him to go fight WWII vets in Germany. Tony's kind of a weird guy.

Tony clearly had the suit largely made before setting foot in Peter's home. He'd been watching him for awhile. Which, yeah, feels weird. But if he somehow surmised that Peter was a good kid and had potential, sure, I'll buy it.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
That's a pretty clickbaity the article chooses to phrase it, heh.

This is probably pretty good evidence that Marvel will view Spider-Man as their "replacement" for Iron Man, though.

it is and its why I didnt name my link "next spiderman movie is the civil war of phase 4 lol"

He seems like a fuction focused guy. Even when he's designing the Iron Man suit he's like "Eh, throw some colour on there Jarvis".

I don't see him looking at Peter's suit and sketching out a web pattern and thinking "Oh man, that'll look really cool". But a teenager with spider-based powers would absolutely do that.

Fair. Who's to say he did that, though? FRIDAY could've.

Emarv

Yeah, the trailers definitely set up the notion that Peter getting over his weird hero-worship of Tony is going to be part of the story (which is why I referred to him as the combination Uncle Ben/Norman Osborne figure in this Peter's life).

Tony Stark becomes Green Goblin CONFIRMED!

Khansolo1

this is way offtopic but since I'm a junior and can't start my own thread.
This poster for the zodiac is weirding me out.
zodiac-movie-poster.jpg

Is it Jake Gyllenhaal's face.

I actually really like Peter's prototype suit. Like, just because it's not THE recognizable suit doesn't mean much to me. Every Spider-Man suit is a Spider-Man suit to me. He once made a suit with a paper bag for a mask, but it was still a Spider-Man suit.

The thing that bothers me about the Stark suit is the context. The whole "his rich uncle giving him his first recognizable suit when he could have made it because he's Peter Parker" thing that Bobby is talking about. If he'd already made his own classic suit first and then Stark gave him a special Stark suit, it would bother me a lot less.

But it's not even JUST the suit. Tony coins "Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man". He creates the Spider-Signal. He gives Peter hundreds of kinds of webbing. And on and on and on.

I actually really like Peter's prototype suit. Like, just because it's not THE recognizable suit doesn't mean much to me. Every Spider-Man suit is a Spider-Man suit to me. He once made a suit with a paper bag for a mask, but it was still a Spider-Man suit.

The thing that bothers me about the Stark suit is the context. The whole "his rich uncle giving him his first recognizable suit when he could have made it because he's Peter Parker" thing that Bobby is talking about. If he'd already made his own classic suit first and then Stark gave him a special Stark suit, it would bother me a lot less.

But it's not even JUST the suit. Tony coins "Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man". He creates the Spider-Signal. He gives Peter hundreds of kinds of webbing. And on and on and on.

I hear you, but hearing Tony use the phrase "friendly neighborhood" in the trailers doesn't guarantee that's the first time it's used. For all we know, he's using it after Peter or some citizen he saved says it.

And while it might be a safe assumption, do we know Tony makes the different webbing? As far as I know, we've only seen it used, never actually heard who made it.

Cuburt

Too many people have been freaking out about Tony taking away Peter's agency when the trailers set up that the theme of the film with be Peter coming into his own.

He'll become comfortable in his own skin, he'll become confident in his powers and that he doesn't need a suit will so many bells and whistles, he'll get the girl he likes to notice him, and he'll be able to stand up to the biggest villain he's ever had to face.

The film will also be tackling the meta narratives of a character(young actor) trying to make a new name for himself in a universe filled with star players/actors, a massive brand marred by film failures to prove itself once again as a franchise worthy of it's beloved status, and a test film that is setting out to prove a grand experiment between studios that is not unlike the gamble Marvel Studios took to pioneer a project like The Avengers.

I wouldn't be surprised if Peter gives up his suit on his own volition after Tony threatens to take it away and Peter works with Tony at the end of the film to build a more modest and practical Mach 2.0 suit that looks much more like the traditional Spider-Man suit we all know and love. This suit was just their chance to have an Iron Spider analog without getting bogged down with why Spider-Man doesn't even wear his traditional suit in his first appearance, while at the same time allowing them to just go wild with all the Spider gadgets they never got to have in previous films without having to be handcuffed to them in future films when he eventually decides to give up most of them. At least that's my prediction.

Does anything in Civil War debunk Peter working with Stark on creating the suit? Because you can use that as head canon if you don't like the idea of Stark creating Spider-Man's look.

tXUdqHl.png

edit: for the record, I don't really disagree with the criticism that Peter (as far as we know) doesn't design the classic look of the suit. I DO think that bitching about him not creating the tech is just that; fanboy bitching of the lowest order.
This scene, was it more of a flashback or did it happen in the timeframe shown in the movie?

Top Bottom