• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First teaser trailer for DC Studios’ Creature Commandos

near

Gold Member
Looks dope. All 7 episodes are written by James Gunn. Some more details on link below:

"The seven-episode show focuses on the creation of a black ops team out of prisoners (a precursor to the Suicide Squad in DC mythology) was part of the initial 10 film and TV projects revealed in January 2023 by new DC Studios co-chairmen and CEOs James Gunn and Peter Safran. Those projects are interconnected in the DCU in the Chapter 1 phase “Gods and Monsters.” "- Deadline

Doom85

Glad to see the animation looks pretty good. The most recent shared universe (fans nicknamed the ”Tomorrow-verse”) of the DC straight-to-video animated films was not the best to say the least when it came to animation (plus it was too rushed, only seven films, and then it’s time for Crisis on Infinite Earths of all stories? The previous animated film verse definitely had issues too, but at least it got properly developed). Plus while I didn’t mind the art style, it was hard not to see the Archer comparison when it was pointed out to me.

I wasn’t big on what I saw of how the upcoming animated Watchmen is looking animation-wise, but at least Creature Commandos and Suicide Squad Isekai show that some future DC animated projects will still have good animation.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Looks good. Hope it is PG-13 cause my kid is interested. None of the DC animated stuff other than Harley Quinn has been R that I can recall (maybe Batman by gaslight or that one where batman bangs batgirl?) so hopefully there is a clean language version of this.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Gunn has said from the start the same actor will play their character in animation, live action, and video games.
See, this I don't necessarily agree with. Voice actors are very different from visual actors.i wouldn't have wanted to give up Kevin convoy for Keaton or Clooney.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
See, this I don't necessarily agree with. Voice actors are very different from visual actors.i wouldn't have wanted to give up Kevin convoy for Keaton or Clooney.

I think he cast them based on physical acting ability AND vocal acting ability. It's not like he cast Yeardly Smith as Lois or something

FunkMiller

This kinda just feels like Suicide Squad 2.0, which I'm not sure is going to hit well with the general audience, but hopefully it'll be worth a watch.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I think he cast them based on physical acting ability AND vocal acting ability. It's not like he cast Yeardly Smith as Lois or something
Imagine the contract if it includes voice work for future video games and animated stuff. Buying those actors FOR LIFE!

Guess we won't get younger or older versions or wildly different takes on characters (especially in this era of "an actor MUST map 100% to their character in gender, ethnicity, sexual preference, handicaps, and cultural upbringing"). Is Pattenson signed on to voice batman in the new animated show? If they intolroduce a character in animation, do they gotta then hire someone who could possibly play them in a live action movie?

Just seems like an odd limitation to place on yourself.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Is Pattenson signed on to voice batman in the new animated show?

Pattison isn't part of the DCU and the new Batman series isn't part of the DCU, so no.

But whoever they cast as Batman in the Brave and the Bold will play Batman in any animated Batman set in the DCU.

It's not hard to understand when you're not omitting details like that.

Last edited:

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan
Pattison isn't part of the DCU and the new Batman series isn't part of the DCU, so no.

But whoever they cast as Batman in the Brave and the Bold will play Batman in any animated Batman set in the DCU.

I'm curious how are they gonna to make James Gunn DCU Batman different from Matt Reeves Batman Universe? I know that Matt Reeves said no to connecting his Batman to the DCU. I love The Batman, I hope James Gunn let's it still be around. But we are getting two Batmans I guess

I'm just curious about your thoughts on James Gunn DCU Batman and Matt Reeves Batman

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
I'm curious how are they gonna to make James Gunn DCU Batman different from Matt Reeves Batman Universe? I know that Matt Reeves said no to connecting his Batman to the DCU. I love The Batman, I hope James Gunn let's it still be around. But we are getting two Batmans I guess

I'm just curious about your thoughts on James Gunn DCU Batman and Matt Reeves Batman

Reeves is finishing his trilogy.

Rumor going around is that Gunn will do Dick Grayson and then Bruce will return when the Reeves trilogy is done.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended

Rumor going around is that Gunn will do Dick Grayson and then Bruce will return when the Reeves trilogy is done.

I thought it was it's about Batman and finding out he has a son, Damian. Or is that not still the plan?

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan

I just hope it's good. As I said before I'm a bigger Marvel fan than I am DC. But James Gunn DCU actually sound fantastic and is much needed competition to the MCU since I think that tends to result in better products for the consumer. I can't wait for The Penguin show. I just hope that the DCU Batman ends up being different from Matt Reeves version

Last edited:

Doom85

It's based on Morrison's run, which part of it was Dick and Damian while Bruce was "dead".

Yeah, but Bruce “dies” during the run in Final Crisis, not at the start of it. It would be a bad call to have your movie introduce Damian and not have Bruce be the one to first meet him, in fact it would greatly alter the story as Talia wanted Damien trained by his father.

Regardless, the Dick thing is just a rumor, and honestly I think the DC writers will know we need to see Nightwing in the film verse and develop him before we can appreciate him temporarily taking the mantle. Having him as Batman from the get go just kills the impact of it all.

jason10mm

Gold Member

Yes, crystal clear :p

Top Bottom