• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Tiger Woods 2005 review

Prospero

Games Radar: 8.8. A little thin on specifics.

Last year we complained that Tiger Woods 2004 was basically just 2003 on steroids. This year it's so big, most players with full-time jobs and social lives will never see more than half of it. You almost need a map to find your way through the menu options.

Using the analogue stick to swing the club adds an arcade-style feel that's enhanced by the inclusion of the mystical Tiger Vision putting aid and a range of over-the-top celebration animations - all of which can be turned off or toned down if you prefer a more serious game.

We're still not convinced by the putting, which tells you where to place a cursor rather than trusting the traditional 3D grid and your instincts. [...] But as a whole, this is the new benchmark in golf sims.

Please don't tell me the putting for this game is still as sketchy as it was in TW2003/2004.

BojTrek

Banned
I have two copies reserved for X-Box... my buddy and I love the game, now if the bastard will learn how to hook up DSL to the X-Box... lazy bastage won't run the cable from the 2nd. floor to the X-Box...

darscot

What is the deal with the putting I played the first one on the cube and it was horrible. It never really felt like you were playing golf. My wife played it for a few days before me and I could never beat her. She had higher stats so she just always got the better shot. What I did with the analog stick apparently had no input. I always wondered how you could consider it a game when controller input seemed to have little effect. It's like and RPG with auto battle. Has any of this been change?

Prospero

I only have real experience with TW2003--2004 I got on the cheap and played for a couple of hours, until I realized it wasn't any different.

Anyway, yeah, analog swing in 2003 is a joke, and requires no real skill. Putting seems to be slightly better in 2004, but is still broken. Character profiles are still a fix for an essentially broken game mechanic. (Get a character profile up to 100% luck, and then watch as the ball lands on the green, six inches from the hole, and gets sucked in as if through magnetism.) I held out hope that in 2005 EA would fix the putting and at least add a slight randomizing element into the driving to make it more simlike, but it looks as if that may not be happening.

Ristamar

I know TW 2003 gets a lot of hate on these boards, but I really enjoyed it, despite it being extremely easy. My friends and I played through dozens of tournaments. Never tried 2004. I'll have to rent 2005, at the very least.

Joe

ive put about 30 hours (not counting a lot of restarting and not saving) in TW2004. realllly enjoyed it.

BojTrek said:
I have two copies reserved for X-Box... my buddy and I love the game, now if the bastard will learn how to hook up DSL to the X-Box... lazy bastage won't run the cable from the 2nd. floor to the X-Box...

Aren't you the lazy bastard for not just driving over to his house and playing it together?

Top Bottom