• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First "zombie bee" parasite case in Virginia confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.
latest

So... this thing about flies injecting eggs into bees... is this something that flies have always been able to do, or is this fairly recent behavior?

akira28

You motherfuckers. Climate change is gonna kill us all. Goddammit congress you goof off goldbricking fatcats in bad suits with shitty mistresses who hate your guts and children that aren't yours.

we are seeing more shit we used to have movies about compacted into a yearly time frame than normal. And that is literally not cool.

Is no one else freaked out about these kinds of things becoming a migratory vector instead of a localized eco-effect? Why is shit becoming mobile and coming to get us now?

zeemumu

Imagine a fly large enough to do this to humans.

2 inch large larvae writhing around in your brain making you run around and acting erratically for a few hours until you die.

Can't be any worse than SCP-439

What if this begins to infect humans at the same time that they cordyceps fungus does and we make the zombie factions fight each other?

Hackworth

You motherfuckers. Climate change is gonna kill us all. Goddammit congress you goof off goldbricking fatcats in bad suits with shitty mistresses who hate your guts and children that aren't yours.

we are seeing more shit we used to have movies about compacted into a yearly time frame than normal. And that is literally not cool.

Is no one else freaked out about these kinds of things becoming a migratory vector instead of a localized eco-effect? Why is shit becoming mobile and coming to get us now?
Yeah the further this spreads the more fucked up food production is going to get: bees are vital for most crop fertilization.

Why did I read Virginia as Vagina?

I thought this was going to be one of those WTF medical cases.

First real life spores from a fungus and now this. I need to gey the bunker ready.

Kieli

Aw man... :(

Honey bees are bros. Ive never been stun by one. They jus minding their own business.

Why cant parasites take out tge misquitos?

Toxi

Banned
Can't be any worse than SCP-439
Addendum: In a particularly disturbing development, Dr. ██████ performed a range of experiments to determine the extent of damage to the host body after it has finished the transformation into a hive. While it had been previously discovered in autopsy that portions of the brain are hollowed out to serve as food, others are left intact, presumably to regulate what bodily functions continue. During the last round of experimentation, ██████ took the opportunity to examine a hive at close range shortly after transformation. While the eyes are eventually reached and used as a food source, at the point ██████ performed her examination, they were still intact. Opening the eyelids, and examining them with a flashlight, ██████ discovered that the host's eyes followed the beam. Experimentation was terminated and no further testing is scheduled.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
H-hey, usually these crazy GAF threads happen somewhere else...not where I actually live!

ElFly

One day the Roanokean beekeepers are going to find an empty honeycomb, with only the word "CROATOAN" written in honey inside.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Remember son, only the roaches are the last ones standing.

Roaches ain't got SHIT on Water Bears i.e. Tardigrades! Nuke the world to Hell and back, they won't give a shit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tardigrade

Tardigrades are notable for being perhaps the most durable of known organisms: they can survive extreme conditions that would be rapidly fatal to nearly all other known life forms. They can withstand temperature ranges from 1 K (−458 °F; −272 °C) to about 420 K (300 °F; 150 °C),[7] pressures about six times greater than those found in the deepest ocean trenches, ionizing radiation at doses hundreds of times higher than the lethal dose for a human, and the vacuum of outer space.[8] They can go without food or water for more than 30 years, drying out to the point where they are 3% or less water, only to rehydrate, forage, and reproduce.[3][9][10][11]

Saganator

Parasites that turn other species into zombies are so fascinating. Toxoplasma gondii is in about half the world's population. It alters the behavior of rats so they'll get eaten by cats, and then the parasite comes out in cat shit and hopes to get into the human body to live for good. Some studies have suggested Toxoplasmosis could cause schizophrenia in some people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom