• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage 2 |OT| Kenny Got Fingered

The first one still remains one of my personal top Musou Games, easily outdoing Gundam Musou 1, and probably my favorite "retool of the core mechanics" style game since Samurai Warriors 1 and 2. More interested in this becuase I love FOTNS and the first game, rather than really being excited for any of the mechanics and "speed" changes for this one....

I honestly love both HM and GM because they're so different from the flow of the regular warriors games. GM has (especially 1) near-unlimited dash combos, which makes cutting through fodder an enjoyable experience. Helps that I'm a semi-Gundam fan too lol.

HM still ends up on top though, because I love FOTNS way more.

Wii U version on Thursday for me though. And I will probably play this all weekend too.

Picked it up last night and just slayed Shin.
Man, this must be the 4th or 5th interpretation of the beginning of FotNS I've seen. Still awesome.
Big fan of the first game, and it was strange to re-learn game control, but still super fun.
The faster gameplay is also nice, but honestly, I kind of miss the slow, deliberate, and POWERFUL feel of the first game.

original.jpg

Tiduz

Eurogaime
so, the game did release a bit earlier here, anyone in europe got the free dlc? i got a code for the 9 costumes and just tried it but it didnt work.

yet the game is on psn with the costumes for 60 euros...

is this because its not ''officially'' out yet? or did i get a bogus code?

so, the game did release a bit earlier here, anyone in europe got the free dlc? i got a code for the 9 costumes and just tried it but it didnt work.

yet the game is on psn with the costumes for 60 euros...

is this because its not ''officially'' out yet? or did i get a bogus code?

Check the character select screen in Dream Mode. For some reason, that is where you change the costumes.

ezekial45

Banned
Does the speed of the game feel faster? I enjoyed the last game, but it felt pretty damn sluggish. I'm hoping they sped things up a bit, especially after playing One Piece.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I loved Gundam Musou 3, but skipped on the first Ken's Rage and One Piece as well, the latter because it's too expensive for what looks to be a rather lacking character roster. Probably going to pick this up since there's plentiful characters, even though I'm not that familiar with FOTN.

I hope they release the Kamen Rider Musou over here via digital distribution. :(

Tiduz

Eurogaime
Check the character select screen in Dream Mode. For some reason, that is where you change the costumes.

sorry wasnt clear enough, psn store said code not valid. so maybe ill have to wait till friday since the trophies i unlocked dont show up either.

blind51de

Banned
So Juza is finally playable?
You don't know how disappointing a tease it was to have him as an NPC in the first game.

I'm looking forward to impressions of the Wii U version.

As am I. Really curious what that extra month gap for the Japanese releases was for. :D

Does the speed of the game feel faster? I enjoyed the last game, but it felt pretty damn sluggish. I'm hoping they sped things up a bit, especially after playing One Piece.

Been tackling Legend Mode, so I've only played as Ken but they definitely gave it a speed boost. That and the framerate is improved. Not a solid 60, but when it does hit it, man oh man does it look silky and delicious.

sorry wasnt clear enough, psn store said code not valid. so maybe ill have to wait till friday since the trophies i unlocked dont show up either.
Yep you've gotta wait especially if you receive a code before release date, might get lucky and you can activate tomorrow though.
I'm looking forward to impressions of the Wii U version. I might pick that one up
Yep gonna need some impressions and I'll probs pick it up then.
But with that 18+ Wii U Europe game rating thing I'm gonna have to decide by 12-3am XD

Yep. Definitely faster. More... mobile too, in that you can dish out a Hundred Crack Fist and be able to alter its course during it.

YEEEEEEEES!

The Colonel!!

I'm so glad I didn't examine the character list! XD

But I have a feeling he's probably just an NPC. :B

blind51de

Banned
YEEEEEEEES!

The Colonel!!

I think it's just the top row that are playable.
But I'm with you in liking bringing in the anime-only filler characters.
The only way this could get better is if they squeeze Souten no Ken in the next game somehow.

YEEEEEEEES!

The Colonel!!

Yeah, other than Heart, all the b-tier and below characters and unplayable.

They cover a pretty impressive amount of the cast in Campaign. Some of which only show up in the cinemas and never during gameplay. Not used to Koei spending budget on stuff like that.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I honestly love both HM and GM because they're so different from the flow of the regular warriors games. GM has (especially 1) near-unlimited dash combos, which makes cutting through fodder an enjoyable experience. Helps that I'm a semi-Gundam fan too lol.

HM still ends up on top though, because I love FOTNS way more.

Wii U version on Thursday for me though. And I will probably play this all weekend too.

-nod- I enjoy them both quite a bit too, though GM1's movesets just felt to be a bit lacking, and the "Y" or "/\" branch of moves felt poor by musou standards, in certain character cases. This (and the enemey grouping method) all improved much in GM 2 and 3, though I'll always kinda miss GM1's official mode. Noo, Henkin! "THIS IS WHY EVERYONE KEEPS DYING!" "You'd Still be alive if you'd STAYED HOME!" "HAMAN!" *explosion*, etc, etc, lol. Still waiting on a proper US release of Turn A...

The faster gameplay is also nice, but honestly, I kind of miss the slow, deliberate, and POWERFUL feel of the first game.

original.jpg

Totally. Even One Piece Musou at least has a single "STAMP!" at the end of a very successful musou, to let you soak in the effects of your power for a moment. Speed is nice and all, but impact compliments power so much better...

-nod- I enjoy them both quite a bit too, though GM1's movesets just felt to be a bit lacking, and the "Y" or "/\" branch of moves felt poor by musou standards, in certain character cases. This (and the enemey grouping method) all improved much in GM 2 and 3, though I'll always kinda miss GM1's official mode. Noo, Henkin! "THIS IS WHY EVERYONE KEEPS DYING!" "You'd Still be alive if you'd STAYED HOME!" "HAMAN!" *explosion*, etc, etc, lol. Still waiting on a proper US release of Turn A...

Oh man, somehow this reminded me about the big gripe I had about GM3 (besides the horribly laid out mission/unlock structure). They changed Kamille's VA! I miss his overdone angsty-emo lines, now they sound so...sterile (and therefore less hilarious). =(

I think GM1 was their first use of another license besides their usual three kingdoms/samurai lines, so I kinda forgave whatever mistakes they made with that. Wing Zero was amazingly overpowered though lol.

Also, I'm already feeling my future disappointment over the loss of a grand technique callout in a FOTNS game.

evanmisha

I'm really hoping this hits the eShop at midnight EST.

I can buy and start the download before bed, wake up and have it install while I'm at work, then play the hell out of it when I get home. Would be nice

Where can I get this? BB says not in stock and amazon only has 360 version. I could break down and get it for 360 but I was kinda hoping for wii u.

evanmisha

Etrian Odyssey demo is up on the 3DS eShop, but no Ken's Rage 2 yet.

Though my friends list has Kevtones' Now Playing as ???

Loved the first game.
Tried the JP demo of this one a while ago, and found the lack of jump and new dodge mechanic with Kenshiro kinda awkward compared to the earliergame. Put me off a bit. Might grab it eventually.
I was the exact same way. I miss having the backdash and jump cancels. The first game had a really nice combo system to it, that was thrown out the window for this game. I'm almost certain the game was made by the One Piece team instead of the original Hokuto team. The controls and gameplay are more like that than the first Hokuto, or any other Musou game for that matter. I'd of much rather had the same combat system from the first game, just sped up and with more characters.

I'm also highly disappointed in the level design for the campaign. It's mostly all small areas connected by linear hallways with no sense of exploration and all you ever have to do is kill X number of grunts as fast as possible, sometimes while protecting NPCs, whenever you enter a new room. Heck, at one point during the Jackal arc the game literally just went from motion comic to kill a bunch of enemy waves then back to motion comic and back to more enemies, etc... I also hate having rankings tied to how fast you kill enemies, because it encourages spamming a fast + strong AoE attack (like Ken's flying kick) instead of playing around with all the moves at your disposal.

The original had a pretty great instrumental revision. Not sure about the sequel but I imagine it's in there in some form or another.
AFAIK, there is no Ai Wo Torimodose in the game.

AFAIK, there is no Ai Wo Torimodose in the game.

Well, shoot. I was holding out hope, as I'm only about 5 hours in but you can't win 'em all! ;)

Anyone else notice that a lot of the in stage save points are useless? You can't save while in a mission but it usually just throws you in one as soon as you enter the area, making the save point only for scroll changes. Really weird design decision.

Ill Saint

Seems a whole lot of people thought the first game was slow? I guess Kenshiro was kinda slow to start, but a few cancel upgrades and he speeds up considerably.

I hope Rei still plays the same... loved being able to combo into the jump air slash chain. That was the bizz.

Top Bottom