• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage 2 |OT| Kenny Got Fingered

Seems a whole lot of people thought the first game was slow? I guess Kenshiro was kinda slow to start, but a few cancel upgrades and he speeds up considerably.

I hope Rei still plays the same... loved being able to combo into the jump air slash chain. That was the bizz.

His jumping attacks are different, obviously, but I think they are more fun.

I think the whole game is overall better, but there's always a problem in the way of advancement.

WHY IS NAMELESS SHURA DLC I LOVE THAT GUY. At least we get Ein!

Got the game on eshop, downloading now. Add me if you're interested in playing co-op whenever I get to dream mode

NNID: ShadowgeistZ

shoplifter

Hoping that they are not telling the truth about Wii U version being gamepad only. WO3 isn't so comfortable to play with the gamepad, and supports the controller (and Wii Classic as well iirc)

So how much content is this game? And how much does it cost on the Wii U eshop?

I read somewhere that the game has
chapters. I'm on
and I'm about 5 hours in. This of course isn't including Dream mode where you can play as a slew of other characters, level them and gather scrolls to enhance their abilities.

And I'm pretty sure it's $60 across the board.

Edit: I just read a review where some cat claims it's worse than the first game.

Fist of the North Star: Ken’s Rage 2 is a subpar brawler that fails to surpass the bar set by the previous entry in the series.

http://thekoalition.com/2013/02/fist-of-the-north-star-kens-rage-2-review-a-bloody-mess/

Edit: I just read a review where some cat claims it's worse than the first game.

Well, they did sacrifice some depth in favor of content. Even the already simple level design got simpler too.

Other than the meridan chart change, my only real gripe is the story in Campaign. They focused on it to a fault. When you get further into the game, every boss battle is constantly interrupted by lengthy comic book cut-scenes. It makes sense in terms of telling the story as it happened in the comic, but it screws up the gameplay flow for me.

Well, they did sacrifice some depth in favor of content. Even the already simple level design got simpler too.

Other than the meridan chart change, my only real gripe is the story in Campaign. They focused on it to a fault. When you get further into the game, every boss battle is constantly interrupted by lengthy comic book cut-scenes. It makes sense in terms of telling the story as it happened in the comic, but it screws up the gameplay flow for me.

Yeah, the lack of the meridian chart really busted me up. The Nexus scroll thing seems neat, but I don't have enough for an ultimate yet, though. So, I can't really vouch for its use.

As far as the cinematic interludes go, I'm actually finding myself very pleased at how well done they are. I really enjoy all the flashbacks and the tipping of the hat Koei has done for fans of the manga/show. I had a giant grin on my face for the entirety of the Jagi chapter.

I want to buy this but I don't want it to be free on PSN+ a month later :/

I don't imagine it will be free, but it'll probably be discounted within the next few months. :)

evanmisha

Home, bought, and downloading!
0%

Added everyone here, so check your friend lists, etc.
Gonna sink some serious time into this one

As far as the cinematic interludes go, I'm actually finding myself very pleased at how well done they are. I really enjoy all the flashbacks and the tipping of the hat Koei has done for fans of the manga/show. I had a giant grin on my face for the entirety of the Jagi chapter

Yeah in terms of fanservice they're really good. After the first game I did not expect them to cover the story in such detail. Keeping the majority of the panels in line with how they appeared in the actual comic was a good choice too.

Chairhome

Looking forward to hearing some Wii U impressions. Performance? On the WiiU trailer, it looks like gamepad play is choppier.

Varshes

I can't talk about the game yet, but I can talk about the download speeds... 5 hours and 45 mins to go. So sloooooow.

So what is the character customization system in this game, if there is any (equipment, learning combo strings/skills, leveling up stats etc)

dan2026

Why is the gore so middling in this game?

People should be exploding in a bloody mess Ninja Gaiden II style.

The Giantbomb quick look made this look kind of awful.

Xander51

I decided to take the plunge after watching the Giant Bomb quick look and I've been downloading it on the WiiU over the last few hours. It's finally installing now so I can post some impressions a little later!

Ill Saint

Been going through the story mode, up until I met Rei and Mamiya. Haven't touched the other mode yet.

I really, really miss the Meridian Chart system. There is little sense of progression, ability-wise. At least with the previous game there was a tangible change in the way characters played based on upgrades. I'm not sure what the scrolls are really doing whe I equip them, and can't get a feel for any positive effect they have at all. And boo to making the high level scrolls only available in co-op. With my unreliable connection that leaves me at a big disadvantage. Quite off-putting.

The dodge system is unconvincing, especially in boss encounters. Dodge and counter is shonky, and often leaves you behind the enemy you were trying to hit. Kenshiro's roll was far more effective, especially in keeping the flow of action going, as you could just cancel into or out of it constantly. Much more satisfying.

The level design is a big step backwards. Lots of small enclosed areas and tunnels with little of the 'exploration' and open areas that were in the previous game. The pressure to get through mobs as fast as possible doesn't help.

I still miss being able to jump, especially with Rei.

So, I'm really at a loss as to how so many people consider this a significant improvement over the first game. I see a whole lot of backward steps so far.

That's pretty much how I feel, Ill Saint. I like that the game goes through the whole story, has much more characters and faster combat. However, a lot of the gameplay design choices leave me wishing all that was simply added on to the first game's engine instead of what we got here.

Xander51

I played a bit of the game on WiiU and it seems okay. The game is fully vsynched so there's no tearing, but there's no other framerate limiting of any kind. This means the framerate is all over the place. Every now and then it pops up to 60 for like, half a second or so, but it mostly hovers in the 20-30 range. Controller response is not usually an issue. The gamepad isn't really used other than as a mirror of the main screen. You can turn that function off, and you can use it as its own screen for multiplayer instead of split-screen.

I agree that this seems simplified in weird ways compared to the first one. It's still not as fast as the Dynasty Warriors games, but it doesn't quite have the meatiness of the first Ken's Rage either. It's way more about just running down halls and aimlessly punching dudes than any of these games have ever been, and that's kinda saying something. I'm still having fun, but yeah, after this I'll probably go back and play more of the first one, as I never finished all of it.

Seems like local co-op is in...there's 2P control settings in the settings menu.

But otherwise I agree with the impressions so far. Dodging is a terrible mechanic, the dodge ends up being better if you DON'T time it with an attack and just use it as a repositioning tool.

Sadly, the first game was much better in terms of atmosphere/general feel. The exclusion of Ai wo Torimodose is regrettable, especially when every other song is reused from the first game lol. And I'm still missing the technique callouts too.

I do love the expanded content though. It's just a shame that everything else had to suffer. I think Hokuto no Ken deserves a better 30th anniversary than this. =|

Xander51

I'm enjoying it so far. The voice acting only coming through the GamePad speakers is kinda odd, though.

Oh it only comes through the gamepad? Weird! I normally play WiiU games with the gamepad volume off, and when doing so the voices in Ken's Rage come through the normal speakers. The only game I've had an issue in so far is Arkham City, where they have certain effects/voices that don't come through the speakers even with the gamepad audio off.

I just finished my download, 14 hours, it's my fault I did not pause and resume when it got sluggish I was too busy on Miiverse reading Ubisoft hate... too sleepy to play at 2am going to sleep and play through the Blizzard coming my way. Let it Snow!

I could play it on the GamePad in bed but I don't want to fall asleep during a boss fight

I'm enjoying it so far. The voice acting only coming through the GamePad speakers is kinda odd, though.

be sure you check your Stereo or Surround Sound Settings it happened to me playing Mass Effect 3

Ill Saint

Not liking the scroll system at all. Having to juggle profferring, receiving and discarding is clumsy. Can only proffer a scroll once? What is the point of such a restriction?

The dodge mechanic really is poorly thought out. It's mostly only useful on bosses where you can stand in place and mash on it while they finish their combo attacks. The problem is that if you do the counter, a lot of the time the hit won't register because they haven't come out of their animation.

Don't want to be too down on the game, still have the other mode to try out after all, but these two core mechanics are a big letdown.

Would be interesting to hear more impressions. Seems not worth $60.

What would make it worth $60 to you? The legend mode covering the story in pretty good detail? Or the "improved" fighting mechanics if you didn't like the first one?

Is the frame rate a major distraction?

Is the frame rate a major distraction for you in any other Dynasty/Samurai/License Warrior games? Because this one is pretty much the same framerate-wise.

I'm going to try and burn through Legend mode this weekend before diving into dream mode. Damn work, stopping me from playing some more Fist...and Fire Emblem. =(

Not liking the scroll system at all. Having to juggle profferring, receiving and discarding is clumsy. Can only proffer a scroll once? What is the point of such a restriction?

The dodge mechanic really is poorly thought out. It's mostly only useful on bosses where you can stand in place and mash on it while they finish their combo attacks. The problem is that if you do the counter, a lot of the time the hit won't register because they haven't come out of their animation.

Don't want to be too down on the game, still have the other mode to try out after all, but these two core mechanics are a big letdown.

Fully agree. I haven't tried using other characters yet, but could proffering just be a way to throw a scroll into a "pool", where every character can jack a copy of that same scroll? If not, then it's probably super pointless to have that restriction on proffering.

I think the dodge mechanic is even worse in that regard though. It keeps draining your aura while you dodge a combo attack. Yet if you just dash completely out of the way, you can just save it/counter with a super technique that you probably would have spent that aura on dodging, and possibly be better off. Usually I'll finish dodging, and the recovery is slow enough that the enemy will start another attack anyways lol.

I should probably throw another positive out there. The DLC that gamestop was offering for the 360 preorder is free on the eshop. I almost cracked and bought the 360 version just to get the preorder bonus lol

I'm still having fun, but yeah, after this I'll probably go back and play more of the first one, as I never finished all of it.
That's my plan as well. I had stopped the first one when I heard the entire story would be in this. But now I wanna go back and finish it.

evanmisha

The online mode is totally dead. Guess everyone is playing through the story first?

EDIT: Okay, Co-op is starting to pick up.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
anyone in europe that can tell me if their dlc code works yet?

mine doesnt, trophies show up now but my dlc code doesnt work yet, so i hope im not the only one.

Reknoc

Meh tried to pick this up during lunch but it seems none of the Grainger Games have it here. What is even the point of a physical edition if I can't just wander into a game store and pick it up :(. Guess I'll try HMV on my way home.

massoluk

Banned
The fuck man, downloading is taking forever, I started downloading at 8:80PM yesterday, woke up and check it in the morning at 8:00 AM, nope, still downloading.

/Can't trust the download progress bar ;\. Start at 8-9 hours 0%, Last check 1-2 hours 45%.

I'll echo the resentment of the scroll limit/proffer system. Someone a few posts up said it was clumsy and I completely agree.

Also, if you like load screens, this is your dream game. :p I now understand the irritation of the comic interludes in later stages. Meet boss, load screen, cinema, load screen, damage 1/3 of boss health, load screen, cinema, load screen, etc. I'm enjoying the fundamentals of the game very much but man, there's some doo in the way. :/

But so far, Dream mode is pretty glorious. :D

ATATATATATATATAT

Man, I'm itching to pick this up, loved the DW Gundam games and Orochi 3, but I'm getting a bit of cold feet after the opinions above, especially about the progression. I skipped the first Ken's Rage game becuase I wasn't feeling the demo, and was looking forward to this one being an improved version. :/

Also, if you like load screens, this is your dream game. :p I now understand the irritation of the comic interludes in later stages. Meet boss, load screen, cinema, load screen, damage 1/3 of boss health, load screen, cinema, load screen, etc.

Ouch. Orochi 3 had similar annoying load times for cinematics, but I can't remember them being that frequent.

ATATATATATATATAT

Man, I'm itching to pick this up, loved the DW Gundam games and Orochi 3, but I'm getting a bit of cold feet after the opinions above, especially about the progression. I skipped the first Ken's Rage game becuase I wasn't feeling the demo, and was looking forward to this one being an improved version. :/

It is more likely "improved", if you didn't like the first game's combat. Someone like me who loved the first game for the combat might be a little disappointed with this one.

Ken's Rage (1) was much better for progression, because Ken starts off really slow and weak with a very limited moveset. At the end though, he becomes a slightly slower version of what he starts off in with Ken's Rage 2.

Top Bottom