• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fist of the North Star |OT| of heads exploding and instant beard growing!

Would you guys recommend buying the complete DVD set. I think there are 4 volumes?

Crazy prices, but I could afford it if its worth it.

Krammy

For those that are familiar with the Fist of the North Star story and have played Ken's Rage 1 and 2, which would you recommend to someone who's going in blind to the series? I'm looking for storytelling and overall content, but if it comes down to one or the other, storytelling wins out. I see Ken's Rage 2 is sitting lower in reviews than the first game, but it sounds like it has more content, does it tell the story as well as the first game does? Help me ApocalypseGAF!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
For those that are familiar with the Fist of the North Star story and have played Ken's Rage 1 and 2, which would you recommend to someone who's going in blind to the series? I'm looking for storytelling and overall content, but if it comes down to one or the other, storytelling wins out. I see Ken's Rage 2 is sitting lower in reviews than the first game, but it sounds like it has more content, does it tell the story as well as the first game does? Help me ApocalypseGAF!

I've 1000GS's Kens Rage 1, and still have a LOT left to do in 2.

1 tells things with a higher overall budget, and stays in the real of the most significant stuff that happens in the first, original series. So it shines the best light on the best parts.

The 2nd game cheaps out in the fact that it uses motion comic stills for story scenes (and sometimes the poses used for the comic are poor choices for what's being illustrated), but there's a LOT more story, as it also goes into the 2nd series, and lets minor characters get a lot more screentime, in story, and in battles. The opening apparently even goes more in depth with a scene that never existed before the game, which is kinda cool.

And most of it has full Japanese voicework in 2, so if that means something to you (it does to me!), you'll get all your "MAZAKA!!!" and "Omai wa mo..." fun X 10 or something.

Ken's Rage 2 sacrificed quality in order to provide a larger quantity.

After playing 1, it drove me not only to want to see all of the first Anime series, but also to really dive into FotNS2 anime, which was totally worth it for the OP "TOUGH BOY" ;-) Having seen 2 now, I really appreciate the way game 2 wants to treat it so significantly, as I get the feeling from most FotNS fans that 2 is considered to be throw-away by many.

If purely for story, I guess you could just play part 2, as it's the best overview. If you've no problem with playing both though, go ahead and play both!

Would you guys recommend buying the complete DVD set. I think there are 4 volumes?

Crazy prices, but I could afford it if its worth it.

Sure this is almost from 2 years ago, but now I'm curious: did you end up buying the DVDs? I watched the entire series when it was on Crackle / Hulu, which I'm sure was much cheaper, but also filled with more ads.

Top Bottom