• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fist of the North Star |OT| of heads exploding and instant beard growing!

Nevermind, found it right after I posted, there was another hidden passage.

ezekial45 said:
Go back to the lone statue near the gate that was closed by the commander. the fake wall that leads to the rest is there.

Thanks

Sir Ilpalazzo said:
They mostly go through the same areas, but they have some of their own unique levels.

Also, there are parts in the levels only accessible to certain characters. Rei can do an automated wall jump that lets him go over certain walls and Mamiya can crawl through narrow openings like pipes and small holes in walls.

--------

I was discussing this the other day with some friends and figured I'd post it here as well. Is anyone else really hoping they made a sequel to this game?

With the great game they already developed in Hokuto Musou as a base, I think there is huge potential for a sequel. IMO if a sequel is ever made:
Hokuto Musou 1 NPCs (Kiba Daioh, Amiba, Uighur, Juda, Shuu, Ryuga, Fudo & Juza) + Colonel + the rest of the Nanto Goshasei (Hyui, Shuren & Rihaku) + Hokuto no Ken 2 characters = Most epic and manly Musou game ever.

People crap on HnK post Raoh so much, but there are a ton of great characters in the second half of the manga that would be super fun to have in a sequel such as:

Ein
Falco the Golden General
Purple Light Solia
Harn Bros. - Buzz and Gill
Shachi
Asura generals - Kaiser and Alf of the Hourglass
The three Rashou - Kaioh, Hyou, Han

Also, if they wanted to flesh out the story fights in Legend Mode there are a lot of NPC bosses / mini-bosses they could add to the game as well:

Mad Sarge
Major
Jackal w/ Devil Rebirth
Madara
Fuuga and Raiga
Dog Master Galf
Dagar
Komaku
Beji and Giji
Warden Beron
Nameless Asura
Shaa and Zhan

Not only could these be used to spice up Legend mode more, they could be used as NPC generals in Dream mode to add more variety there as well.

Lastly, they could have any of these as awesome bonus characters if they wanted to:
Ryuuoh, Jukei, Kouryu, Ryuuken

Okay, not getting 7 stars in a level again... the button combinations and the amount of them when attempting to kill the boss is stupid. :lol

AdawgDaFAB said:
Beji and Giji
Warden Beron
Shaa and Zhan

Lastly, they could have any of these as awesome bonus characters if they wanted to:
Ryuuoh

Are these characters from Souten no Ken? I don't recognize them.

I agree that if they were to add those characters, even as NPCs, that there would be a lot of awesome variety.

Pein

Banned
JKTrix said:
Bit of a glitch I just encountered: killed Uighur, but I'm stuck in the phase after you kill him where you're forced to just walk around--can't attack or pause or anything. I really don't want to play that whole level over again.
I've run in to this glitch twice now. I don't wanna try for a third time and glitch out again but can't stop playing ad just give up.

hitmon

Anybody playing the 360 version of the game? I was wondering if there were any other problems with that version besides the load times?

Pein

Banned
hitmon said:
Anybody playing the 360 version of the game? I was wondering if there were any other problems with that version besides the load times?
that glitch I mentioned and the cut scenes are nicer on the PS3.

Rad Agast

Pein said:
I've run in to this glitch twice now. I don't wanna try for a third time and glitch out again but can't stop playing ad just give up.

Ran into the same glitch the first time I got there too. It even glitched dream mode. Any way, just start the finishing move but don't kill him which gives him enough time to finish his dialogue.

TimeKillr

donkey show said:
Okay, not getting 7 stars in a level again... the button combinations and the amount of them when attempting to kill the boss is stupid. :lol

See I've been trying to 7-star the first and second levels of Kenshiro's Legend mode, and I can never find the last star.. :(

I always get 6 + the Death Star.

Sir Ilpalazzo said:
Are these characters from Souten no Ken? I don't recognize them.

I agree that if they were to add those characters, even as NPCs, that there would be a lot of awesome variety.

Beji and Giji = The knife-jugglers from the Souther arc, http://hokuto.wikia.com/wiki/Beji
Warden Beron = http://hokuto.wikia.com/wiki/Beron
Shaa and Zhan = http://hokuto.wikia.com/wiki/Sha
Ryuuoh = http://hokuto.wikia.com/wiki/Ryūō

None are major characters, thus why you wouldn't really know them off hand. I just thought they could make for some fun NPC battles.

TimeKillr said:
See I've been trying to 7-star the first and second levels of Kenshiro's Legend mode, and I can never find the last star.. :(

I always get 6 + the Death Star.
I have no idea where those stars are either. The only one I've seven starred is level 3. I finally beat it though today. It felt like such a huge accomplishment after doing 8 8-button combinations in a row to beat Jagi finally. :lol

matmanx1

Any guides floating around out there that show how to get 7 stars on the levels? I popped in to gamefaqs the other day but so far it's just the forums with no actual faq's. I'm not super concerned about it on my first run through but I'd like to 7 star them all eventually.

Xater

Ok I have beaten Legend Mode with Kenshiro and Toki. I also started it with Rei. I think I might now like this more than SB3. This game is just oddly satisfying. And yeah I totall hope they make a sequel with the rest of the manga. I mean this game sold well enough in Japan alone to do it.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Okay, completely finished Legend mode last night. And honestly? I don't think I'll be going back to it. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't bad or anything. I did have fun with it. But it wasn't what I was expecting from the game. That would be Dream Mode, which is probably the best thing Koei's done since DW Gundam 2.

The story in Dream Mode can go to hell though. :lol But then again I never really care for "original" non-canon stories based on existing properties. They always feel like just one step above fanfic to me.

But yeah, gameplay-wise, Dream Mode is exactly what I wanted from the game, and it's awesome.

JKTrix

I've noticed that there were several other people who came across that glitch on the 360 like I did--that's pretty disappointing.

Still been playing it though. I haven't actually watched the anime past the introduction of 'Thouzer', so when I got to that point in Ken's story I switched to someone else. Tried out Dream Mode with Mamiya and that got into the spoilers like right away. Guess I won't be able to avoid it.

Is there any orderto play legend mode in? I'm not very far in and I'm really confused about the story. I've been playing one chapter each of each character.

canadian crowe said:
Is there any orderto play legend mode in? I'm not very far in and I'm really confused about the story. I've been playing one chapter each of each character.

If you want to do it completely in order vs character by character, then just look at where the blocks are for each stage on the timeline.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I can't believe I'm at 80% trophy completion already. :lol At this rate I'll have it Platinum'd by the end of the month, if not sooner.

Well, it'll be nice to have my first Platinum, at least. And I'll be able to sell the game while it's still worth a good amount.

Not the flog a dead horse here, but what was ign thinking giving this game a 5. Sure its not perfect but it's worth a least a 7.

I'm not even familiar with the source material and I love it. I can only image how much enjoyment hardcore fans are getting out of it.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
canadian crowe said:
Not the flog a dead horse here, but what was ign thinking giving this game a 5. Sure its not perfect but it's worth a least a 7.

I'm not even familiar with the source material and I love it. I can only image how much enjoyment hardcore fans are getting out of it.

Being a Musou game instantly gets you penalized 2 points at IGN, regardless of quality.

Xater

canadian crowe said:

I know Fist and for me Legend mode was pretty awesome. Well at least with Kenshiro. I was kinda disappointed with the lack of unique cutscenes with the other guys.

Now that I am done with legend mode can someone tell me how many missions Dream Mode has per character?

diglyd

Banned
Picked this up the other day. I'm not a Dynasty Warrior or Koei fan but I grew up with Fist of The North Star. i was not impressed by the intro or the lame narrator.

The gameplay is very fin but initially I thought ken moved very sluggishly until I upgraded his abilities to lvl 2 and then it was smooth and fast.

I like the fighting and the game itself. I'm on Legend mode with Ken on the jagi mission. I tried one level with mamyia. So far she looks cool but I don't like her animation especially how she always pulls out the crossbow and you get hit even after a normal attack with her knives.

The game would have been perfect if it took a little bit more from the original movie or if the enemies you fight weren't so generic and everything wasn't so repetitive. I was disappointed that when you play as the other characters through legend mode everything is pretty much the same and to get the achievements you need to beat the game like 5-6 times with each character. I wish there was more variety.

I loved Fist of the North Star but the game although entertaining is getting boring quick. I played it for a few hours last night and I am already ready to take it back to gmaestop and put the 30 bucks or so on COD or Assassin's creed. I usually do not return my games but I just don't see this as keeping me entertained long term not because it does not have replayability but because each level seems and feels the same.

The boss fights are pretty fun although I think they are too short. I wish they were longer.

Pretty solid game though. I'd give it a 7.5 to an 8.0. My only gripe is the lack of variety in enemies, and environments and I wish when the enemies exploded they would not turn black/dark red or whatever they do.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
diglyd said:
Picked this up the other day. I'm not a Dynasty Warrior or Koei fan but I grew up with Fist of The North Star. i was not impressed by the intro or the lame narrator.

I hope you mean the English narrator and not the Japanese one. Because Norio Wakamoto will cut you.

The game would have been perfect if it took a little bit more from the original movie or if the enemies you fight weren't so generic and everything wasn't so repetitive. I was disappointed that when you play as the other characters through legend mode everything is pretty much the same and to get the achievements you need to beat the game like 5-6 times with each character. I wish there was more variety.

The movie is not based on the manga, thus, neither is the game. The movie was pretty bad by the way. Even for Hokuto fans. When you say you grew up with Fist, do you mean the movie, manga, or the show? If its not the manga or show, you're missing a shitton and your childhood lied to you.

Sad state when someone says a 7.5 or 8.0 game needs to be returned to Gamestop after a few hours of play... =(

If you didn't grow up with the TV show, do yourself a favor and watch it. Classic, awesome kung fu, chop socky actions that turns classic the farther along you watch.

Kintaro said:
I hope you mean the English narrator and not the Japanese one. Because Norio Wakamoto will cut you.

The movie is not based on the manga, thus, neither is the game. The movie was pretty bad by the way. Even for Hokuto fans. When you say you grew up with Fist, do you mean the movie, manga, or the show? If its not the manga or show, you're missing a shitton and your childhood lied to you.

Sad state when someone says a 7.5 or 8.0 game needs to be returned to Gamestop after a few hours of play... =(

If you didn't grow up with the TV show, do yourself a favor and watch it. Classic, awesome kung fu, chop socky actions that turns classic the farther along you watch.

Also depending on your region, HNK is on Hulu as well, just thought I'd provide another means of watching it.. and if you want DVD's, the box sets are coming..1st one's out, 2nd one out by the end of the month! Exciting stuff!

I would, more than anything else, recommend anyone interested in the series to read the manga (especially since it has finally been fully scanlated). The manga, in general, has better pacing to the story and none of the anime / various movie / OVA's random filler. Also, the game is based on the manga, and thus none of those filler characters / stories or wholesale changes to characters / fractions (looking at YOU Golan / God's Army!) are in this or will be in any future sequels to come. For anyone wanting to buy it, I recommend Gutsoon!'s old full color volumes (sadly they stopped at volume 9 of 27 for those).

AdawgDaFAB said:
I would, more than anything else, recommend anyone interested in the series to read the manga (especially since it has finally been fully scanlated). The manga, in general, has better pacing to the story and none of the anime / various movie / OVA's random filler. Also, the game is based on the manga, and thus none of those filler characters / stories or wholesale changes to characters / fractions (looking at YOU Golan / God's Army!) are in this or will be in any future sequels to come. For anyone wanting to buy it, I recommend Gutsoon!'s old full color volumes (sadly they stopped at volume 9 of 27 for those).

It's a shame those scanlations are the only way we can get HNK in english :( It always seems like it's cursed to never be fully translated and released proper here, sort of like how I wish Area 88 would be. I went to the trouble of acquiring every vol. in japanese though, that was an ordeal but worth it.

RoryDropkick said:
It's a shame those scanlations are the only way we can get HNK in english :( It always seems like it's cursed to never be fully translated and released proper here, sort of like how I wish Area 88 would be. I went to the trouble of acquiring every vol. in japanese though, that was an ordeal but worth it.

Kinda OT but your post made me think of this:
I really wish more English manga companies would make a similar service to Marvel's digital comics service. I'm all for collecting the physical volumes of manga I love, but I actually prefer just sitting down at my desktop or with my laptop and being able to read manga fullscreened in CDisplay. If there was a similar service that released quickly, like subbed anime streaming is done now by English companies, for a nominal fee then I would gladly support that versus having to reading scanlations just to keep up with current series.

AdawgDaFAB said:
I really wish more English manga companies would make a similar service to Marvel's digital comics service. I'm all for collecting the physical volumes of manga I love, but I actually prefer just sitting down at my desktop or with my laptop and being able to read manga fullscreened in CDisplay. If there was a similar service that released quickly, like subbed anime streaming is done now by English companies, for a nominal fee then I would gladly support that versus having to reading scanlations just to keep up with current series.

Good point.. sorry to divert the thread this way, but with Hokuto and even Souten no Ken I would like a better way to read it though digital than scanlations.. not that they are necessarily bad scanlations, but I'd rather Buronson and Tetsuo Hara get credit. Still wishing Tetsuo Hara had done a poster for Expendables.... ok back to the subject at hand.. padyday is this week and I think I'm finally going to get my preorder :D

matmanx1

AdawgDaFAB said:

100% agreed. I would buy TONS of manga if I could get it digitally. I just do not have the space for all the manga volumes that I actually want to buy. Give me a way to support the artists and writers without the physical product (like you can with an e-book) and I will be there with bells on.

And to keep this on topic, what am I missing in the first stage with Kenshiro that will allow me to get his 4th star? The first 3 are obvious but then it feels like you hit the boss (and you fill in another star by using the right signature move on him) and the stage is over. Is there an alternate route somewhere I am overlooking?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Yeah, don't think I'll be keeping this game around for too much longer. I absolutely love it, don't get me wrong, but compared to other Musou games there's just not a lot of replay value to it. Hell, I'm already at 83% trophy completion, and I'll likely have the Platinum trophy (my first!) by the end of the week, if not sooner.

I could get some more playtime out of it by filling out everyone's Meridian Chart and getting all S ranks on the missions and such, but honestly I've never been one to do stuff like that. Well, the S rank stuff at least. Maxing out the characters I could do, but when the stage variety is as sparse as it is in this, I just don't feel a lot of motivation to do so. I think that's my biggest issue with the game. The small character roster is fine, but the relatively small amount of stages really hurts it. If FOTNS had the mission structure of DW Gundam 2, where the game will randomly assign the map, allies, enemies, and objectives, it'd probably be my favorite Musou game ever. But as it stands, there's just not enough mission variety to keep me playing past the Platinum.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great game, and by the time I'm done with it I'll have over 40 hours into it. But for a Musou game, 40 hours isn't really a lot at all.

But hey, on the bright side, since I'll be able to trade this in while it's still valuable, I can get NBA Jam when it comes out on the 15th. Woo. :D

TimeKillr

Gametrailers review: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/review-fist-of-the/707256

My god it's horrible.

1- Loosely based on the manga? I don't think he read them.
2- Absolutely NO mention of Dream Mode? Really?
3- Enemies don't change? Huh, no.
4- Hit detection is sloppy? Never had that happen.
5- Only way to mow down crowds is special attacks? First off, there's more than Kenshiro to this game. Second, even Kenshiro has a great AOE attack - his C2.
6- No way to reset the camera behind your character? This just proves the guy hasn't played it at all. :)
7- Improving your character's stats does no noticeable improvement? Huuuuuuuuuuh.... Yeah. After a few upgrades, C2 on Normal one-shots all the normal punks.
8- Special moves have "long, drawn-out cutscenes"? Hokuto Hyakuretsuken is the longest one, clocking at an outstanding 5 seconds! :)

I'll agree the voice work is kinda crap (play it in japanese, where even if the voice work is shit, you won't realize it :) ) but it's like all these people do is go "Oh, wait. It plays like Dynasty Warriors? IT'S SHIT LOL". There's a serious anti-japanese movement in the gaming population these days.

Seriously. I don't even know why they bother reviewing these games at a certain point. It's obvious these reviewers lack basic appreciation for games other than shooters or Nintendo stuff. It's just pathetic.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
TimeKillr said:
Seriously. I don't even know why they bother reviewing these games at a certain point. It's obvious these reviewers lack basic appreciation for games other than shooters or Nintendo stuff. It's just pathetic.

This is why when I saw that there was a review up for it, I laughed knowing it would be full of shit.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
WAAAAAAAATETETETETETETETETETETETETETETETETETETETETETETETETETAH!

TimeKillr said:
but it's like all these people do is go "Oh, wait. It plays like Dynasty Warriors? IT'S SHIT LOL". There's a serious anti-japanese movement in the gaming population these days.

How is that remotely anti-Japanese? It's anti-Dynasty Warriors, it's nice the franchise has it's fans but a huge majority of people think they play like shit; thus by extension any derivative of them will get mostly shit reviews until they revamp the combat which the game revolves around.

TimeKillr

Spirit of Jazz said:
How is that remotely anti-Japanese? It's anti-Dynasty Warriors, it's nice the franchise has it's fans but a huge majority of people think they play like shit; thus by extension any derivative of them will get mostly shit reviews until they revamp the combat which the game revolves around.

The game is ABSOLUTELY nothing like Dynasty Warriors. That's the problem (at least in Legend mode).

It's not about mowing down hordes and hordes of peons.

The combat is much more deliberate and much deeper, with cancels, etc. Just because the game uses a 2-button scheme doesn't mean it's a Dynasty Warriors-type game.

And they do revamp the combat. In every single god damn iteration of Dynasty Warriors. It's just that most people go "LOL MASH SQUARE" without realizing that it simply doesn't work after the first level. That is easily Koei's (and Omega Force) problem, but every Dynasty Warriors game greatly evolves after that.

I just find it funny that nobody questions God of War's combat (not saying it's not a good game) but it's less deep than Hokuto Musou, uses outdated mechanics (analog dodge, for one) and is TRULY about mashing square.

The reason I say it's anti-japanese is that in general I've been seeing a rather big movement of people saying "LOL it's japanese they're so outdated" even though people don't actually pay any sort of attention to what it is. The "it's Dynasty Warriors" sentiment is still very anti-japanese, since most people figure it sucks because it's japanese, not because of anything else.

I had the same problem at work (I'm a god damn game dev) when I was trying Malicious out.

Pretty much everyone was going:
1- This is dumb, the character isn't running, he's just floating everywhere!
2- This camera is stupid
3- The graphics are ugly, it must be a japanese game

etc etc etc.

It just pisses me off that people are getting so god damn close-minded about anything that isn't from the West. Sure, anime died out and is generally crap now, but it doesn't mean every other thing that comes out from japan is inherently bad.

Sqorgar

Banned
I don't think it's an anti-Japanese sentiment that's keeping people from enjoying the Dynasty Warrior games. I think it's just that the differences between two different iterations is not immediately apparent from screenshots, so that having played one game in the series and seeing a video of another, you'd mistakenly believe that the games are identical.

It's this same ignorance that makes them think that there are twenty-two Musou games released every year. People treat the Xtreme Legends and Empires games are full releases. Frankly, if you are including expansions, mods, spin-offs, and portable variations, there's more Civilization games than there are Musou games.

However, the Musou games have two asian history series and two anime based series, so there really isn't anything for people who don't care or actively don't like the East to latch on to. Maybe there would be less ignorance if there was a reason for people who think they understand the series to care to look past the screenshots. The really ironic thing is that Bladestorm was both completely different and Western in nature, and nobody bought it because they either thought it was the same old stuff or wished it were.

Whoever says Musou games "control like shit" have no
fucking
clue what they are talking about. They are some of the most responsive games on the market.

With that, I'm off the rock Dream Mode with a Ken and max his Meridian chart.

Pein

Banned
How do you unlock Ken's dream mode? It would be cool to max out my meridian chart. I just finished the souther fight and those quicktime button presses are getting more and more ridiculous. But still loving this game.

I laugh when some of the enemy's see ken roll up and they're like lets get the fuck out of here we don't stand a chance!

Top Bottom