• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fist of the North Star |OT| of heads exploding and instant beard growing!

TreIII

Pein said:
How do you unlock Ken's dream mode? It would be cool to max out my meridian chart. I just finished the souther fight and those quicktime button presses are getting more and more ridiculous. But still loving this game.

I laugh when some of the enemy's see ken roll up and they're like lets get the fuck out of here we don't stand a chance!

Finish Ken's Story Mode first. That's how you'll unlock his Dream Mode.

Ken's Dream basically does a lot to assume that you have finished the game with Ken first, because it's easily the hardest of all the dream scenarios. So no need to rush. :lol

diglyd

Banned
Kintaro said:
I hope you mean the English narrator and not the Japanese one. Because Norio Wakamoto will cut you.
The movie is not based on the manga, thus, neither is the game. The movie was pretty bad by the way. Even for Hokuto fans. When you say you grew up with Fist, do you mean the movie, manga, or the show? If its not the manga or show, you're missing a shitton and your childhood lied to you.

Sad state when someone says a 7.5 or 8.0 game needs to be returned to Gamestop after a few hours of play... =(

If you didn't grow up with the TV show, do yourself a favor and watch it. Classic, awesome kung fu, chop socky actions that turns classic the farther along you watch.

Yes I was referring to the English narrator. The voice and music just did not seem to fit. Also it looked to me like it had 2 intros. The narrator first starts talking and then there was another intro after that it just felt strange to me.

I'll check out the show perhaps it will get me more into the game.

I never read the manga but I did see a few of the episodes mainly when they were showing late at night on the Cartoon Network a few years back. I actually liked the movie allot as it was one of the very first anime I purchased when I was in High school on VHS from the San Diego Comic Con along with Akira, Appleseed, and Gunbuster..ha that brings back memories of watching my first anime boob jiggle moment.
I always liked the concept of the series and the overall style.

Keep in mind I just played for a few hours. It is not a bad game in any way. Yet this is the first time I played this type of game from this series. Its also xmas and there are many great titles that are either out or on the horizon. I just played for a few hours and I just got a little bummed out that when I switched characters in legend mode I was doing the same levels fighting the same bosses. I just wish that from what I seen there was more variety. Now I have not tried Dream mode yet not opened the other characters. Normally I never return any games I buy despite how much they depreciate or what else I might want but as much as I love seeing Kenshiro and hearing ATATATATATA the game just feels extremely repetitious. maybe I am still in a daze after playing Kinect for a whole week but regular games don't seem to offer the same thrill anymore. Still I hope there is a sequel because they have a solid foundation to build on. I love most of the moves and the Meridian chart I think is a awesome idea how it shows the person's body.

Quick question though...

So what was wrong with the fist of the north star movie that it wasn't that good? ow is the show and/or manga any different or better? Also I saw the Fist of the North Star 2 movie? What is the consensus on that?

Can someone also explain the difference between the Dynasty Warrior and Mosou games?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
diglyd said:
Can someone also explain the difference between the Dynasty Warrior and Mosou games?

Dynasty Warriors ARE Musou games.

Dynasty Warriors - Shin Sangoku Musou
Samurai Warriors - Sengoku Musou
Dynasty Warriors Gundam - Gundam Musou
Fist of the North Star - Hokuto Musou

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
diglyd said:
So what was wrong with the fist of the north star movie that it wasn't that good? ow is the show and/or manga any different or better? Also I saw the Fist of the North Star 2 movie? What is the consensus on that?

Well, the Fist Movie assumed the viewer has an intimate knowledge of the series so they can fill in some gaps on their own,or realize why things changed. Plus, there are major important characters leave out of the movie completely. Plus, the ending used for the English version makes ZERO sense (the ending where Kenshiro "loses") while the alternate ending (Raoh and Kenshiro draw) is much better.

In short, the movie makes Lin out to be the Earth's Savior while Kenshiro is destined to be her protector (this is wrong, Kenshiro is the Savior). Mr. Heart works for Jagi (when he worked for Shin) originally, The Fang Clan takes on Raoh while they ere killed by Ken/Rei originally, Ken's brother Toki and Rei's lady love Mamiya are excluded from the movie completely, and Yuria is captured by Raoh in the movie while these events play out muuuuuuuch differently in the source material (Yuria is assumed dead for a verrrrrrrrry long time).

It all comes together as this weird mish mash of...stuff.

As for additional Fist movies. Well... there's the remake Movie/OVAs that came out several years ago which are a bit more faithful to the source material (New Legend of the Savior), but add in characters for no damned reason. There is also an OVA series (New Fist of the North Star) which takes place after all of the manga/anime or something like that. It's fluff really, but bloody fluff. :D

Track down the fansubs of the New Legend Savior series for movies/OVAs much closer to the real material. Go in this order:

Hokuto no Ken: Raoh Den - Jun'ai no Sho
Hokuto no Ken: Yuria Den (this one kind of fills in the blanks between feature films)
Hokuto no Ken: Raoh Den - Gekito no Sho
Hokuto no Ken: Toki Den
Hokuto no Ken Zero: Kenshiro Den (original story set before everything)

Want to know how badass this series is? A funeral event was held for Raoh before Gekito no Sho and a wedding event happened before Kenshiro Den.

070419004503.jpg

TimeKillr

Sqorgar said:
I don't think it's an anti-Japanese sentiment that's keeping people from enjoying the Dynasty Warrior games. I think it's just that the differences between two different iterations is not immediately apparent from screenshots, so that having played one game in the series and seeing a video of another, you'd mistakenly believe that the games are identical.

It's this same ignorance that makes them think that there are twenty-two Musou games released every year. People treat the Xtreme Legends and Empires games are full releases. Frankly, if you are including expansions, mods, spin-offs, and portable variations, there's more Civilization games than there are Musou games.

However, the Musou games have two asian history series and two anime based series, so there really isn't anything for people who don't care or actively don't like the East to latch on to. Maybe there would be less ignorance if there was a reason for people who think they understand the series to care to look past the screenshots. The really ironic thing is that Bladestorm was both completely different and Western in nature, and nobody bought it because they either thought it was the same old stuff or wished it were.

You might be right. I'm just pissed :lol

As for Bladestorm, yeah, it's a shame (and rather ironic!) that both Musou fans didn't buy it (not Musou enough) and Musou haters didn't buy it (it's Dynasty Warriors but medieval) while it's probably Koei's farthest game from the Musou formula ever. If anything, Bladestorm is much much closer to their strategy games, it's just that it's real-time that makes it different. Hell, Bladestorm is the only game I've played where the battlefield is so immense that missions are simply "capture this town" in the overall war instead of clearing the entire thing. Once you get to two-star missions, clearing more than your mission objectives pretty much becomes impossible. :)

Sqorgar

Banned
TimeKillr said:
As for Bladestorm, yeah, it's a shame (and rather ironic!) that both Musou fans didn't buy it (not Musou enough) and Musou haters didn't buy it (it's Dynasty Warriors but medieval) while it's probably Koei's farthest game from the Musou formula ever. If anything, Bladestorm is much much closer to their strategy games, it's just that it's real-time that makes it different. Hell, Bladestorm is the only game I've played where the battlefield is so immense that missions are simply "capture this town" in the overall war instead of clearing the entire thing. Once you get to two-star missions, clearing more than your mission objectives pretty much becomes impossible. :)
Yeah, Bladestorm is an amazing game. I'm sorry it didn't do well enough to do a sequel. After a few iterations of refinements, like coop and a map you can see on an SD screen, it would be without equal. Say what they will about the Musou games, it's probably the only Eastern game series that folks in the US are pretty much guaranteed to get localized, even with all the expansions and spin-offs.

SiteSeer

Kintaro said:
... Yuria is captured by Raoh in the movie while these events play out muuuuuuuch differently in the source material (Yuria is assumed dead for a verrrrrrrrry long time).

ok, did you spoil the tv series right there? fuck man, i'm watching that shit on hulu.

TimeKillr

Sqorgar said:
Yeah, Bladestorm is an amazing game. I'm sorry it didn't do well enough to do a sequel. After a few iterations of refinements, like coop and a map you can see on an SD screen, it would be without equal. Say what they will about the Musou games, it's probably the only Eastern game series that folks in the US are pretty much guaranteed to get localized, even with all the expansions and spin-offs.

So much love for Bladestorm is unheard of. :)

I figure the Musou games are pretty cheap to localize, so that's why the world gets them. If they make all their money in Japan, they only need enough sales to cover production costs here (localization + marketing + putting the game on shelves + qa) and they're good. Kinda like what Atlus does.

I love Koei with all my heart. They filled my youth with so many hours of fun... The one thing that I'm angry at them for is the utter lack of the daikoukai jidai series over here. We only got the first 2, and the rest look so awesome... :(

TreIII

TimeKillr said:
I figure the Musou games are pretty cheap to localize, so that's why the world gets them. If they make all their money in Japan, they only need enough sales to cover production costs here (localization + marketing + putting the game on shelves + qa) and they're good. Kinda like what Atlus does.

Well, they're cheap, but they're not THAT cheap. Koei, like so many others, has definitely felt the weight of rising costs from the "HD Era". It doesn't help that the Western market has not only been utterly hostile when it comes to reviews, sales haven't been that good, either. After all, those 360 ports of their games only sell that well in the US, and even there, it's relatively modest at best.

Worst case scenario, I could see Koei's non-Japanese divisions just doing more to give the US the middle finger and do more to focus on the more amiable markets in Europe. Either that, or just forgo the 360 and focus on the PS3 (such as the likes of Trinity: Zill O'll Infinite and the upcoming Ni-OH suggest). But Koei is definitely going to have to do something about those losses they keep crying about on their financial reports. So it'll be interesting to see what the "new" CEO (and Koei's founder) Yoichi Erikawa will be planning in the upcoming fiscal year.

On that note, have any sales for FOTNS's US release emerged yet?

TreIII said:
Finish Ken's Story Mode first. That's how you'll unlock his Dream Mode.

Ken's Dream basically does a lot to assume that you have finished the game with Ken first, because it's easily the hardest of all the dream scenarios. So no need to rush. :lol
That can't be right. I've cleared Ken's Dream Mode waaaaaaay before I finished his Legend Mode. It's weird how it hasn't unlocked yet past Souther.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
And Platinum trophy GET.

Took 46 and a half hours. Not bad. Definitely an easy Platinum, but not TOO easy. Raoh and Thouzer's final Dream Mode stages are such utter bullshit. :lol

TimeKillr

TreIII said:
Well, they're cheap, but they're not THAT cheap. Koei, like so many others, has definitely felt the weight of rising costs from the "HD Era". It doesn't help that the Western market has not only been utterly hostile when it comes to reviews, sales haven't been that good, either. After all, those 360 ports of their games only sell that well in the US, and even there, it's relatively modest at best.

Worst case scenario, I could see Koei's non-Japanese divisions just doing more to give the US the middle finger and do more to focus on the more amiable markets in Europe. Either that, or just forgo the 360 and focus on the PS3 (such as the likes of Trinity: Zill O'll Infinite and the upcoming Ni-OH suggest). But Koei is definitely going to have to do something about those losses they keep crying about on their financial reports. So it'll be interesting to see what the "new" CEO (and Koei's founder) Yoichi Erikawa will be planning in the upcoming fiscal year.

On that note, have any sales for FOTNS's US release emerged yet?

Well I just mean cheap to localize. Cheap to produce is another thing entirely! :) There's not a whole lot of text and speech in Musou games, so it's not a huge thing.

And going PS3 only would probably not be a bad idea, but then again they'd kill a lot of sales in North America... :(

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
SiteSeer said:
ok, did you spoil the tv series right there? fuck man, i'm watching that shit on hulu.

Dude, the show is 26 years old. Get over it. Also, no, I didn't spoil anything. This thread is about a game which deals with events as they unfold in the manga. You would be "spoiled" away as soon as like Chapter 3 or 4 of Kenshiro's story.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Wazzim said:
Is this game worth getting? I read Kotaku's review and it wasn't really that positive.

Don't ever read reviews for Musou/Warriors/Koei games in general (unless it's Quantum Theory). Just rent it or try a demo for yourself.

MattyH

i brought it on a whim beacuse its by koei and i loved the manga and i love dynasty warriors and its a blast

MoxManiac

TimeKillr said:
Well I just mean cheap to localize. Cheap to produce is another thing entirely! :) There's not a whole lot of text and speech in Musou games, so it's not a huge thing.

And going PS3 only would probably not be a bad idea, but then again they'd kill a lot of sales in North America... :(

What? There's a ton of jibber jabber to localize in them. Look at the WO games. Voices for like 80 characters!

Just got done with Chapter 7 (Ken's Story), and man is this game a blast. Taunt + Signature Move = Bodies, Exploding Bodies everywhere!!! :lol

diglyd

Banned
wow..haha and I was going to take this thing back....played for 7 hours straight today. Got to I think chapter 10 on Ken's legend mode where I have to go kill Thouzer and his army.

Game is incredibly addicting. I was going to play for like an hour to decide if I was going to keep it. I have so much ATATATATA in my head now I can't hear anything else. I love the signature finishers especially the Cracking grip move.

I tried the dream mode with Shin and that was really cool with capturing the bases. I really like how different all the characters feel. Despite the limited amount of variety in the bad guys outside of the bosses its really fun.

I tried the challenge mode with Ken and got my butt handed to me by Zeed. Man they crank up the difficulty in those three matches. My match with Shin didn't fare any better. I was kicking his but and then he did some crazy combo and took down 80% of my health. I guess I have to increase my meridian chart.

Anyway I take back almost everything I said. The game is very fun and has a huge amount of content and replay value. I'm only like 25% done and I played for like 10+ hours already.

now I want to try the last Gundam game in the series.

There is just something really satisfying about the type of beating frenzy that this game provides.

BTW Kintaro thank you for the Fist Movie explanation.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Sir Ilpalazzo said:
Does anyone know how to play Jagi? I've completed his dream mode, but he feels like an inferior version of Mamiya to me.

I can impart some notes:

-Remember Jagi's Combo 2 and dashing moves are grapples. And C2 Works on characters who usually can't be grappled. This is good and unique; this makes him a better chara at single strong enemy elimination than Mamiya, I'd say.

-Jagi really benefits from getting his basic combos up. Besides C2, Multi Shotgun shots that lock enemies in at C3, C4 leading to multi rocket launcher shots that you can just spam everywhere... he can really damage groups well.

-"Aerial Defense" skill seems to really work with his first signiture move (the one he comes with). The Area on the move's initial uppercut feels much better than some other characters, so he can get a pretty big group tagged with it, while still hitting grounded foes with the explosions.

-With laggy combo endings, jump cancel into his leaping downward rocket shot (Jumping strong attack) or hold guard, push left of right, then the main attack button, for his strafing shot. Both really help control crowds, and him, well.

-His strong attack charges: Lvl 1 is great for pestering guard break + chance at meridian shock. Lvl 2 is fantastic for boss guard breaks, and lvl 3 is AN INSANELY HUGE EXPLOSION that eats wimpy peons for breakfast. Not as good as Mamiya's SHOCK OF EVERYONE ON SCREEN, but his does damage. Shoot it into groups of escaping troops with no health, for big cheesy benefit.

-His unique move (the RButton on 360) is odd in that it has a Hokuto kill effect (Makes people explode). Charged up, it's radius is great, and it moves pretty far. Also a good thing to do after his laggy combo endings. Or right after His charged strong attack, cancelling one into the other.

-Signature Move: Scarface is great. Unblockable, kills normal enemies instantly, leaves strong generals shocked. "YOU'VE SEEN TOO MUCH!" SO effective after taunts.

-His Hokuto Arhat strike is also awesome. Can hit multiple clumped together enemies, does OK damage, but also "Sets Us Up the Bomb!". The resulting explosion isn't just an enemy blowing away into blood, but an ACTUAL EXPLOSION.

Before Thouzer (The Geese Howard of Hokuto No Ken!), he's one of my favorite characters to play. Coupled with the skill that makes meridian shock'd enemies unable to block (Debilitate, I think), his grapples give him loads of invincibility, and allow you to easily lay into generals, while also offering crowd control. I also seem to have more luck at hitting multi enemies with his version of Crack Fist than even Ken's, and his American Voicework makes his sounds like such a "hack" version of Ken's Crack fist, than it's very funny to use on Ken himself! :lol

Random Note: Toki's RButton Counter eats Raoh's fireball moves for breakfast. It's pretty much pinpoint instant invincibility VS Raoh, which really makes it obvious as to why Toki is his perfect counter/the man he fears most. It eats and negates any combos/signature moves in the game, full body radius, and gives him advantage + a chance to SHOCK.

DLC Info: http://www.kensrage.com/us/top.html Rei, Raoh, and Mamiya's DLC costumes will be bundled for 400 MSP / 4.99 on XBL/PSN on Nov 16 US, Nov 17 EU.

I got it last night as an early christmas present from my fiancee :D I am loving it so far, have only gotten to Kiba Daiou, but have been thoroughly enjoying it. Planning on arranging my HNK anime ost for bgm tonight :D

I tried Jagi some more, and he is good when you start utilizing his C2, C3, and rolling shot properly. That totally changed my perception of his character.

You said you like Souther, but what can he do? I also completed his dream mode, but he just felt like a very limited character all the way through. He doesn't have much in the way of crowd control and his one-on-one doesn't compare to Shin or Rei's.

matmanx1

I downloaded the new DLC outfits last night an wanted to jump in on Mamiya's first Legend mode stage. I definitely prefer the white traditional look over the game outfit but when that thing get's damaged it becomes downright scandalous. At about half life she completely looses her pants so she's running around in a slitted open tunic and blue thong. Needless to say that this makes climbing any walls or crawling through any holes quite the show! (Yes, I realize she is the sex appeal in the game but I wasn't expecting it with the manga outfit).

She plays very differently than Ken but I can already see some pretty good potential with her, especially for crowd control and AE damage.

Okay guys, what the F*CK is going on?!? :mad:

Playing Chapter 1 of Mamiya's Story in Legend Mode, and managed to get all 7 stars filled in... and what's my "reward"? A souped up Boss Fang with saiyan energy shooting off him and sh*t. So, you know, even though he's doing mad damage I manage to get him down to the finisher and -- WHAT. THE. F*CK. It's an endless string of 7-string "simon says" button combos.

Highest I've managed to get I think is like five sets before messing up. Is this ever supposed to end or is the game totally borked?

EDIT: For pete's sake, I gave up and let him KO me. If that's what happens when you get all 7 mission bonuses, then no thanks.

Mr.City

The one on one battles are lackluster. In the show, it was batch of atatatata and you were down. In the Jagi vs Ken boss fight, I had to lay at least 7 or 8 of them on him. I guess I'm just too use to Ken killing everything instantly.

Spike Spiegel said:
Okay guys, what the F*CK is going on?!? :mad:

Playing Chapter 1 of Mamiya's Story in Legend Mode, and managed to get all 7 stars filled in... and what's my "reward"? A souped up Boss Fang with saiyan energy shooting off him and sh*t. So, you know, even though he's doing mad damage I manage to get him down to the finisher and -- WHAT. THE. F*CK. It's an endless string of 7-string "simon says" button combos.

Highest I've managed to get I think is like five sets before messing up. Is this ever supposed to end or is the game totally borked?

EDIT: For pete's sake, I gave up and let him KO me. If that's what happens when you get all 7 mission bonuses, then no thanks.
LOL, thankfully that really only applies to one level in the story mode for everyone. It happened to me with Kenshiro when fighting Jagi and it was fucking killer. After I'd say 15 attempts, I finally ATATATATATA'd my way through that insane button combo action, but the skill point bonus totally wasn't worth the effort especially since it's literally harder than hard. :lol

Short answer, this doesn't happen on all the stages if you fill up the 7 stars.

Ifrit

Kintaro said:
Well, the Fist Movie assumed the viewer has an intimate knowledge of the series so they can fill in some gaps on their own,or realize why things changed. Plus, there are major important characters leave out of the movie completely. Plus, the ending used for the English version makes ZERO sense (the ending where Kenshiro "loses") while the alternate ending (Raoh and Kenshiro draw) is much better.

In short, the movie makes Lin out to be the Earth's Savior while Kenshiro is destined to be her protector (this is wrong, Kenshiro is the Savior). Mr. Heart works for Jagi (when he worked for Shin) originally, The Fang Clan takes on Raoh while they ere killed by Ken/Rei originally, Ken's brother Toki and Rei's lady love Mamiya are excluded from the movie completely, and Yuria is captured by Raoh in the movie while these events play out muuuuuuuch differently in the source material (Yuria is assumed dead for a verrrrrrrrry long time).

It all comes together as this weird mish mash of...stuff.

As for additional Fist movies. Well... there's the remake Movie/OVAs that came out several years ago which are a bit more faithful to the source material (New Legend of the Savior), but add in characters for no damned reason. There is also an OVA series (New Fist of the North Star) which takes place after all of the manga/anime or something like that. It's fluff really, but bloody fluff. :D

Track down the fansubs of the New Legend Savior series for movies/OVAs much closer to the real material. Go in this order:

Hokuto no Ken: Raoh Den - Jun'ai no Sho
Hokuto no Ken: Yuria Den (this one kind of fills in the blanks between feature films)
Hokuto no Ken: Raoh Den - Gekito no Sho
Hokuto no Ken: Toki Den
Hokuto no Ken Zero: Kenshiro Den (original story set before everything)

Want to know how badass this series is? A funeral event was held for Raoh before Gekito no Sho and a wedding event happened before Kenshiro Den.

070419004503.jpg

Just to get this clear, so these New legend Savior series movies/OVAs cover the entire story (100+ anime episodes sans filler)?

Delriach

Banned
Heh, I noticed the "You are already dead" pic in the first post links to the site I write for. Awesome :p

Mr.City said:
The one on one battles are lackluster. In the show, it was batch of atatatata and you were down. In the Jagi vs Ken boss fight, I had to lay at least 7 or 8 of them on him. I guess I'm just too use to Ken killing everything instantly.

Use your specials when he's in a stunned state. It'll do much more damage that way and the fight will end a lot faster. In some fights, you can nearly take out an entire section of health if you do a special when they are stunned. One thing that surprised me is how good Mamiya is. At first I couldn't do much, but eventually I upgraded her well enough to just destroy everyone. If you do a special when a boss is stunned with her, it takes a huge chunk of health in comparison to the other characters. At least, that was my experience.

matmanx1 said:
I downloaded the new DLC outfits last night an wanted to jump in on Mamiya's first Legend mode stage. I definitely prefer the white traditional look over the game outfit but when that thing get's damaged it becomes downright scandalous. At about half life she completely looses her pants so she's running around in a slitted open tunic and blue thong. Needless to say that this makes climbing any walls or crawling through any holes quite the show! (Yes, I realize she is the sex appeal in the game but I wasn't expecting it with the manga outfit).

I'm still unsure on the DLC. I want it but I don't think I can justify the price at the moment. It's very tempting though... especially after reading that.

Seems like most of you guys already have the game, but I thought i'd share my review anyway. I set up a contest as well but I don't think many people are going to enter ;(. I think I may have made it too ridiculous for people, lmao. Have any of you guys seen the character alarm clocks? That's one of the prizes. I wake up every day to "ATATATATATATATA WATA!". It wakes me up ASAP as you can imagine...

I'm playing it on normal through Ken's Legend Mode... why is Raoh such a bastard during the final battle? I hate getting knocked into meridian shock then immediately killed when he hits me. I still haven't been able to beat him :(

Delriach

Banned
RoryDropkick said:
I'm playing it on normal through Ken's Legend Mode... why is Raoh such a bastard during the final battle? I hate getting knocked into meridian shock then immediately killed when he hits me. I still haven't been able to beat him :(

Sometimes playing keepaway is the best option against Raoh. One thing that's really helpful is to do Kenshiro's jumping kick. It tends to break most of Raoh's attacks. You could actually spam that a bunch of times, hope you get an armor break, and then proceed to combo him until you daze him. Then you should do your special.

If he is putting you into the stun state, I would either run away for awhile or use your aura and hope to hit him midcombo or at least avoid death. That worked for me.

I've been playing for around 25 hours so far and it just now occurs to me that the best time to unleash Signature Moves on bosses is once you get them to the stunned state (yellow electricity).

Practicing with Toki now...

Trevelyon

Woah! Toki rocks, he's infinitely more interesting and versatile in combat in comparison to Ken. Love using him in dream mode, lots of fun once you have his style down.

Toki starts off really weak but in time can become a beast with leveling his chart. Fighting bosses with him (Raoh especially) when he isn't leveled much is a real pain, I was chipping away at him on Legend Mode final battle and it took forever.

A really cheap move I found is the air charge-Triangle, can kill groups of enemies in one hit once your attack is high enough. :lol The jump-slash is good to knock back bosses and cancel the cough animation (even though that gets disabled after Dream Mode).

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Sir Ilpalazzo said:
I tried Jagi some more, and he is good when you start utilizing his C2, C3, and rolling shot properly. That totally changed my perception of his character.

You said you like Souther, but what can he do? I also completed his dream mode, but he just felt like a very limited character all the way through. He doesn't have much in the way of crowd control and his one-on-one doesn't compare to Shin or Rei's.

It's been a while, but I finally got to level up Souther now... here's what stood out with him, for me:

- His RB special technique (Imperial Quake) is great. You can do it in mid air, and this adds 2 special bonuses:
--He can do Aerial ImpQuake-> Air strong attack stomp -> Ground imperial quake to annoy everyone to no end. Great way to break guards with repetetion, nice crowd control, and exceedingly cocky)​

--When in timly mode, you can Air ImpQuake -> Strong attack 1, 2 (Air surf kick->air fireball)->Air quake the entire time, which REALLY destroys crowds. The air fireball is obscenly powerful, with a wide range, and peon-killing damage.​
- Lightning Strike Signiture move is wonderful, in that it obliterates Peons, Instant shocks anyone who lives it, and leave you in Timely strike mode.

- His 1 bar Sig move that he starts with is also great. The purple energy ball gathers everyone into the perfect kill spot, and the cross slashes are quite strong for a lvl 1. When playing splitscreen, this one move helped Souther get sig move kills almost as easily as those whom were higher level than him.

-Charge strong attack lvl 2 (Double palm fireballs) are great at pelting crowds, and smashing them into things for mastery bonus. As good as his high lvl sig moves + lvl 3 mastery ultimate tech are, I appreciate any way to build meters with him.

A Maxed out Meriedian Chart Souther is pretty fun. Cackling as things die all around you...
-------

Oh, Random RAOH note: Much like Jagi can grapple normally ungrappleable enemies with his C2, Raoh can grab anyone with his Default grapple.

Just got this a few days ago. Loving this game. I'm in Ch.12 of Kenshiro's story in Legend Mode. Any tips on fighting the last boss of that chapter? Homeboy keeps breaking my strings every time, even the short ones. I fought every boss with ease, except for this one. BTW, is there a OST for this game?

There is an OST.

Thanks for the advice, SAB, it helped.

Also, Heart and Outlaw are fun to play as. It's a shame they're so expensive. Heart might be one of my favorite characters.

MoxManiac

OMG dream mode is so awesome. It really is a musou game! Right down to capturing bases, tons of generic and named officers, allies yelping for assistance, etc etc :D :D :D

Carnby

i am playing the game and really enjoying it. but my main question is about the FOTNS tv show/movies. I would like to watch the series but there are so many dvds to pick from. where do I start? did the tv show or the movie come first?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
jaekwon15 said:
i am playing the game and really enjoying it. but my main question is about the FOTNS tv show/movies. I would like to watch the series but there are so many dvds to pick from. where do I start? did the tv show or the movie come first?

I believe it's Manga > TV show > Movie.

The movie is a amalgamation of the TV show's stories, with a lot of changing and rewrites and out-of-sequence stuff.

Last I checked, the entire TV series is up on Hulu, so you can watch it there without buying anything!

vocab

jaekwon15 said:

The first series has 109 episodes. The second series has 43 episodes. That's all you really need. You cannot obtain the full series legally atm. You can view the entire first series legally because Toei subbed it all. The first series is almost complete by a company called Eastern Star. I heard it's a mixed bag compared to the Toei translations.

Wait a damned minute, did they censor Mamiya's outfit for the US? Her skirt isn't transparent.

Priorities!

Seeing dudes bodies warp and explode in a geyser of blood = GOOD!
DATASS = BAD!

I just noticed that Volume 4 was released here in the states. If anyone hears of a deal for Vol. 1-4 of the tv series, please let me know. I have been waiting to buy these, but man at $close to $200 for the entire set its killing me.

The series ends with Vol. 4 right?

Masamuna

Got the game on whim after I ragequit ps3 Skyrim, definitely love it a LOT more than when it originally came out.

I think when it came to my former distaste it was due to my full on disappointment for legend mode. The dev's reusing game/architecture assets felt a lot more apparent in this mode, and on top of that most of the alternate paths characters take barely made any difference. It kinda gave me a Dragon Age 2 dungeon design vibe. Reused cutscenes were also a bummer but I guess there's only so much you can do when the mode revolves around the canon.

That said I love dream mode and giving the game a second look has made me realize how unique the characters are even if they derive from 3 schools plus projectile classes. No where near as homogenized as the newer Dynasty Warriors and almost as varied as Basara. I'd give anything for more characters though.

Almost have the platinum, but I can say for certain that the game is very close to ranking with my personal musou genre favorites.

Xater

Got the game on whim after I ragequit ps3 Skyrim, definitely love it a LOT more than when it originally came out.

I think when it came to my former distaste it was due to my full on disappointment for legend mode. The dev's reusing game/architecture assets felt a lot more apparent in this mode, and on top of that most of the alternate paths characters take barely made any difference. It kinda gave me a Dragon Age 2 dungeon design vibe. Reused cutscenes were also a bummer but I guess there's only so much you can do when the mode revolves around the canon.

That said I love dream mode and giving the game a second look has made me realize how unique the characters are even if they derive from 3 schools plus projectile classes. No where near as homogenized as the newer Dynasty Warriors and almost as varied as Basara. I'd give anything for more characters though.

Almost have the platinum, but I can say for certain that the game is very close to ranking with my personal musou genre favorites.

Who I guess we would get with a sequel. I really hope Koei gets around to doing one. I would love to play more of the storyline as well.

Top Bottom