• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, this thread is intense, but I know you guys are welcoming. So much foreign terminology and jargon. I'm going to study the OP like crazy, put together my own routine, and then ask for everyone's input before I start it.

I think I've gotten the eating thing down, at least. Sort of. I'm pretty much eating about 70% Paleo right now, and I'm happy with that. It's been hard and I'm a regular in asking for help in the Paleo thread, but now I think I'm ready to take it to the next level with fitness.

Wish me luck! I hope to have something put together to post in here tomorrow.

Good luck!

However...

+1 for reading the OP and trying to understand how it all works

-1 for putting together your own routine

If you want to throw in a set of curls at the end, then that is fine but you really shouldn't be trying to create something on your own.

Pyrokai

If you haven't done much fitness wise, you're probably better off just reading Starting Strength and going to the SS wiki and doing that program. It's made for noobs, like you and me. If you're a beginner, you don't really need a plan customized to you, you need something that works. Starting Strength works.

Good luck!

However...

+1 for reading the OP and trying to understand how it all works

-1 for putting together your own routine

If you want to throw in a set of curls at the end, then that is fine but you really shouldn't be trying to create something on your own.

Um.....this is exactly what I wanted to hear. What I NEED is a program laid out for me telling me exactly what to do. I thought the only way I could do that was by getting a trainer or something. Guess I should have read more of the OP before posting :p

Awesome, awesome news. Very excited now.

Um.....this is exactly what I wanted to hear. What I NEED is a program laid out for me telling me exactly what to do. I thought the only way I could do that was by getting a trainer or something. Guess I should have read more of the OP before posting :p

Starting Strength
StrongLifts 5x5
Greyskull LP

I would research these three and pick the one that interests you the most. Starting Strength is the most basic and straight forward. I myself started with SL but you really can't go wrong with any of them.

SeanR1221

Starting Strength
StrongLifts 5x5
Greyskull LP

I would research these three and pick the one that interests you the most. Starting Strength is the most basic and straight forward. I myself started with SL but you really can't go wrong with any of them.

Yup. They're all pretty easy to follow, and everyone here will help you out. I did SL as well.

Noema

My opinion is that no one should ever do Stronglifts, since we have much better alternatives (SS and GSLP). Stronglifts is popular since it's well marketed, but it's nothing but a pirated version of SS.

Why do the copy when you can do the original?

SeanR1221

Thinking about it and looking at what I put on bulking, maybe I should start cutting for 3 months now instead of 3 months later.

I mean my wedding is in 9 weeks. I don't want to be too much of a fatass for it....

PBY

Banned
Thinking about it and looking at what I put on bulking, maybe I should start cutting for 3 months now instead of 3 months later.

I mean my wedding is in 9 weeks. I don't want to be too much of a fatass for it....

Looking at your pics, I'd prob say start cutting now. Your metabolism seems crazy though, i don't think Id put on fat if I ate the way you ate.

Maybe just throw in some HIIT?

Petrie

Banned
Looking at your pics, I'd prob say start cutting now. Your metabolism seems crazy though, i don't think Id put on fat if I ate the way you ate.

Maybe just throw in some HIIT?

From what Sean has said before, he used to be very overweight, even obese. I think that has something to do with it, his body is simply conditioned to retain and put on mass, be it fat or otherwise, so anything over maintenance becomes visible.

I could be full of shit though.

andycapps

Good. Go for it. The ebook of Starting Strength is about $10 or you can order the paper copy if you like. There's a lot to read and watch here at the wiki that will help.

PBY

Banned
From what Sean has said before, he used to be very overweight, even obese. I think that has something to do with it, his body is simply conditioned to retain and put on mass, be it fat or otherwise, so anything over maintenance becomes visible.

Damn if so good shit man, I have so much respect for people who cut down from being overweight.

SeanR1221

Definitely right there. I was morbidly obese going into high school, overweight almost my whole life. I've posted this before.

0094e7a1.jpg

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Today I ran for the first time in several months (recovering from an injury), and boy did I notice something interesting. I've been squatting for a while now (at least twice a week), and it seems that all that squatting has improved my running quite a bit. I was running up large hills without my legs feeling completely worn out like they used to before I started squatting. Didn't think this would be the case for some reason, but it makes sense.

PBY

Banned
Definitely right there. I was morbidly obese going into high school, overweight almost my whole life. I've posted this before.

Congrats man, thats a life changer. I would agree with the poster who asked about the tux though, I've lost a few suits to the whole bulk/cut cycle.

SeanR1221

Did you get fitted for your tuxedo?

Nope not yet. Waiting till the very last moment.

Congrats man, thats a life changer. I would agree with the poster who asked about the tux though, I've lost a few suits to the whole bulk/cut cycle.

Thank you and it really is crazy how fast I can put the weight on. Typical breakfast was eggs, bacon, spinach, lunch was always at least 2 cups of vegetables plus chicken or tuna, dinner usually more chicken and vegetables. Barely any carbs.

I've done hiit before but my knees always feel like shit then :/. Maybe long walks would be better but I HAVE to be consistent with this.

blackflag

My opinion is that no one should ever do Stronglifts, since we have much better alternatives (SS and GSLP). Stronglifts is popular since it's well marketed, but it's nothing but a pirated version of SS.

Why do the copy when you can do the original?

It is basically a pirated version but I think for absolute beginners it is better. When you are an absolute beginner you can handle 5x5 then drop to 3x5 when you can't handle it anymore or just do SS with 5x5 instead of 3x5 but that is really just Stronglifts.

abuC

What's a good alternative to incline bench? My right shoulder just can't take doing incline bench anymore.

SeanR1221

Ok. After giving it some thought, I'll start cutting Thursday (day after deadlift day).

I'm still going to run the next coan cycle the whole time, but won't be shocked at all if I don't hit any PRs (or go down a little in strength).

PBY

Banned
Fuck.

Just had my first setback with the Kelei routine. Like I said, hadn't done this kind of volume ever, and today I think I'm feeling the result of that- I had pulled back at the end of last week, but shit, today I just felt brittle and week. Just ended up doing 20x235 on bench and 30x165 on incline, couldn't even get through my pulldowns/dips, had to leave.

Just feel brittle, sore, and tired. Sux.

theytookourjobz

This might sound weird but I was always envious of the big vein that runs vertically down the upper arm. Having visible abs is a cool accomplishment but as far as aesthetics go, the vein might be my favorite.

Minamu

Are there any good and free iphone apps that can help me keep myself motivated or something like that? Stats tracking apps or whatever :) I'm gonna go renew my membership tomorrow.

I've never been very vascular so any veins is a plus for me.

I used to be all about getting abs but now, I think having a wide back and monstrous traps/chest is the ultimate end game.

Of course, that outer quad sweep is a main goal as mine as well.

blackflag

I've never been very vascular so any veins is a plus for me.

I used to be all about getting abs but now, I think having a wide back and monstrous traps/chest is the ultimate end game.

Of course, that outer quad sweep is a main goal as mine as well.

Yes! all of these

blackflag

This might sound weird but I was always envious of the big vein that runs vertically down the upper arm. Having visible abs is a cool accomplishment but as far as aesthetics go, the vein might be my favorite.

I have that now from my bicep to my hand you can trace it but it comes and goes still. It is usually prevalent after working out or after eating carbs. Can't wait until it's always on lol.

Today I ran for the first time in several months (recovering from an injury), and boy did I notice something interesting. I've been squatting for a while now (at least twice a week), and it seems that all that squatting has improved my running quite a bit. I was running up large hills without my legs feeling completely worn out like they used to before I started squatting. Didn't think this would be the case for some reason, but it makes sense.

Squatting is super, super important for trail / incline running. I do trail ultramarathons and if you don't have sufficient rear end you'll get crushed on the inclines. That's one of the nice things about trailrunning. The best trailrunners are still pretty lean, but they don't tend to be quite as rail thin as flat land track runners. Need a little more meat on the bones to get up those elevation changes.

I honestly need to get more squatting in before summer trail run season. Also have a summit of Mt. Rainier planned for the summer in addition to all the races, so I'm going to have some serious elevation coming up this June-August.

I have that now from my bicep to my hand you can trace it but it comes and goes still. It is usually prevalent after working out or after eating carbs. Can't wait until it's always on lol.
Same here. This is one of my favorite things. After my carb refeeds or right after a workout I always have to take a look. It's not very visible at any other time. But I don't think I'm going to be very vascular at all anyways :(

Anyways, I thought I'd post some pics here. The first is of me about 2 years ago at around 300 lbs...
ycOVBGy.jpg

This is me about 3 months ago at around 205 lbs...
HQG01NI.jpg

I've only lost about 5 lbs since then, but I've definitely lost some fat and gained some muscle in that time. I've switched to 5/3/1 and started to eat a lot closer to maintenance (200-300 calorie deficit).

My body issues keep me from posting back pics or any shirtless pics but I can happily say that I can at least see my top 4 abs in the mornings!

Imm0rt4l

I don't have any real vascularity to speak of In my biceps. My delts and chest are more vascular.

balddemon

Banned
fuck fuck fuck why does everyone use photobucket and then quote the images?? photobucket is blocked for some reason, and if you quote the image I can't rehost on imgur :( I want to see sean's fatnessprogress haha

Veezy

que?
Working for the globo gym industry has put a massive sour taste in my mouth. I'll go into more details later, but this job is absolute shit.

Ab. so. lute. shit.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I've almost been more susceptible to such infections thanks to being a lovely compliction of diabetes. Brobiotic cultures in yogurt absolutely help, and you can get actual pill based supplements to help as well. I use both when my throat gets hit.

YES

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
That's so funny. I'm pretty vascular and people always comment on that big one running right along my shoulder and arm. I don't get it but people sure are envious.

Eidan

Working for the globo gym industry has put a massive sour taste in my mouth. I'll go into more details later, but this job is absolute shit.

Ab. so. lute. shit.

Damn, it sounded like it was going to be your dream job.

Question everyone.

So I started my cut a little over three weeks ago. I was 200, and I'm now 192.8. Does that sound like I'm losing weight too fast?

bro1

Banned
Yesterday was squats and I woke up this morning with some intense back pain by my ass and in my obliques. I know my form was spot on (had multiple people check it out) and I"ve been doing this for years without a problem.

My guess is that it's from returning from my 3 month hiatus. I've spent the past 3 weeks doing light squats (135-185) 3 times a week (5x5 each session) and then doing about 245x5x5 yesterday. Did some stretching today and it seems to have worked itself out but it was scary for a bit. I thought at 37 I had finally put my back out!

Veezy

que?
I thought you liked it?

I did for the first week.

Then, I actually started dealing with the day to day of the job and pieced together what a long term career here would be like.

It's, quite literally, 50+ hours of work at less than 9 per hour. The commission is there to make the pay more attractive, however the systems are designed in such a way that makes everything more work than it should be. I'll write up a dissertation later (similar to my "why I hate Crossfit HQ" rant a while back) but there so much dumb shit it makes me want to knock over a magazine rack full of issues of Men's Health and Flex.

Basically, I got bait and switched into a position forty minutes away from my home and am not too happy about it. Put my perspective on the industry in a whole new light.

Damn, it sounded like it was going to be your dream job.

Question everyone.

So I started my cut a little over three weeks ago. I was 200, and I'm now 192.8. Does that sound like I'm losing weight too fast?
What I thought is was going to be would be.

What it actually is, is quite far from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom