• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I started going to the gym this last week after a 2 year hiatus due to 2 disc hernias. Still trying to acclimate myself as I'm working with some worn out muscles (core especially) so I'm not on any set routine. My question is more about nutrition. As for current stats

Height: 6'2
Weight: 220
Goal: Improve cardio, Fat loss,
Current Training Schedule: 5 days a week
Current Training Equipment Available: Gym

I wanna get down to about 180 or so. I'm a pretty bulky dude and never really had any problems gaining muscle, anything below 180 and I'd be looking pretty skinny. I have a rough idea about what a clean diet looks like but I can't really think of what a full days worth of meals looks would be. I just need maybe an idea or two so I can do some grocery shopping

Keyouta

Right, so, I've started working out again last week with the insanity program, and I was wondering what should I be eating. Like, for breakfast, I thought it'd be a good idea to be eating oatmeal and like an egg or two. How's that? I've been reading this thread and so from what I understand, I shouldn't be having oatmeal, right?

Also, I'm taking omega 3-6-9 supplements, along with whey protein. The omega is in the morning and evening, and I have a glass of the protein mix after my exercising. Should I be drinking the whey protein shakes more often, like twice a day, or is the one time after working out good?

PBY

Banned
Right, so, I've started working out again last week with the insanity program, and I was wondering what should I be eating. Like, for breakfast, I thought it'd be a good idea to be eating oatmeal and like an egg or two. How's that? I've been reading this thread and so from what I understand, I shouldn't be having oatmeal, right?

Also, I'm taking omega 3-6-9 supplements, along with whey protein. The omega is in the morning and evening, and I have a glass of the protein mix after my exercising. Should I be drinking the whey protein shakes more often, like twice a day, or is the one time after working out good?

Nothing is ever as clear as "no oatmeal or oatmeal is great"- depends on what your goals are. I went through an intense paleo phase a while back, which wouldn't let me have eaten em, but now they fit in my goals/diet.

nomis

I'm sure some here will debate on how much protein can be utilized in a sitting (say within 4 hours), but the fact is that despite every body being different, there is a ceiling. There's no way it could hurt to have a protein supplement half the size you would have before, twice a day.

i.e. two 35g single scoop servings hours apart so it's fully utilized versus a two scoop 70g shake where your body may only utilize 50g.

Szu

Yesterday, I was finally able to do a decent training session with my wife. I had her try a combination of lower and upper body workouts just to shock her muscles again. We trained last week, but she was not feeling it at all.

I kept it very simple and very light. She insisted on doing mostly machines or weights, since body weight routines can be done at home. I had her run the gauntlet with hack squats, leg press, weighted squat lunges, glute raises, and box jumps. She also did some DB flat press, DB shoulder press, and abs. We finished off the day with 15 minutes of cardio.

Needless to say, I'm very proud of her.

On a personal note, I plan to start my cut later this week.

I took this pic about half an hour after dinner, but I think it serves as a good starting point.

ji2LmHJ.jpg

Imm0rt4l

Yesterday, I was finally able to do a decent training session with my wife. I had her try a combination of lower and upper body workouts just to shock her muscles again. We trained last week, but she was not feeling it at all.

I kept it very simple and very light. She insisted on doing mostly machines or weights, since body weight routines can be done at home. I had her run the gauntlet with hack squats, leg press, weighted squat lunges, glute raises, and box jumps. She also did some DB flat press, DB shoulder press, and abs. We finished off the day with 15 minutes of cardio.

On a personal note, I plan to start me cut later this week.

I took this pic about half an hour after dinner, but I think it's serves as a good starting point.

ji2LmHJ.jpg

Good shit on getting your other half active, man. For some reason I thought you were already cutting. Good luck with getting ripped.

Szu

Good shit on getting your other half active, man. For some reason I thought you were already cutting.

Yeah, I like to think of it as a pre-cut. I met with my in-laws over the weekend. I wish I could have a normal relationship with my in-laws where we don't like each other.

My in-laws love me and they cook so well. I try to explain to them that I'm trying to cut some weight.

What I try to say: I'm reducing my overall caloric intake to reduce my overall fat percentage while maintaining my maximum muscle density.

Chinese In-Law translation: Oh, you'll getting too skinny, we need to feed you more.

This is my Fit World Problem.

I'm sure some here will debate on how much protein can be utilized in a sitting (say within 4 hours), but the fact is that despite every body being different, there is a ceiling. There's no way it could hurt to have a protein supplement half the size you would have before, twice a day.

i.e. two 35g single scoop servings hours apart so it's fully utilized versus a two scoop 70g shake where your body may only utilize 50g.

I thought there was no ceiling until you reach the threshold which is somewhere past 1g of protein per pound of LBM a day. I believed 30-40g of protein in one sitting would be more efficiently absorbed than more than that in one sitting, but it's not like the rest of the protein wiould go to waste it would just absorb slower.

otapnam

I took this pic about half an hour after dinner, but I think it serves as a good starting point.

ji2LmHJ.jpg

Looking good man! I cant wait to get my wife to do weights too haha. Might have to get a home setup first

cdkee

Banned
Starting Strength
StrongLifts 5x5
Greyskull LP

I would research these three and pick the one that interests you the most. Starting Strength is the most basic and straight forward. I myself started with SL but you really can't go wrong with any of them.

I will always vouch for Starting Strength.

I was super skinny (ectomorph), only weighed about 120lbs at 5'9". I did that program for about 5 months and got myself to 150lbs. Bench press went from 65 to 135. Squats 95 to 165. DL 95 to 205.

I'm still not where I'd like to be, but it definitely got me started in the right direction.

what do you guys think of supplements
im taking preworkout (i think neurocore) and a standard whey complex powder. training intense and want to keep nutrition and energy up

Imm0rt4l

I have a ridiculously high stimulant tolerance. I didn't feel anything from the old jack3d formula. So I don't bother with any supplements. I am looking into possibly Yohimbine HCL though. As of now, I just take multi's, and fish oil and creatine.

Total brag update but I've lost 4% body fat since January 8th. Feels amazing, "beginner gains" feel so good sometimes. Only another 8% left to go...which will probably take another 6 months. Hoping to actually start seeing the outward transformation soon.

Ripclawe

Banned
so week 3 of the layne norton's phat program and I can see more definition and in some areas(arms, back ) I am getting stronger though legs is so far a bust in gaining strength.

Also getting over that initial I am dead tired after doing the routine feeling.

CrankyJay

Banned
Whoever said those PB and j quest bars were good were damn right.

220 x 2 on bench this morning. Will get 225 next week.

BTW first day back from being sick and bad lower back (1 week). It's like I didn't miss a beat.

SeanR1221

Whoever said those PB and j quest bars were good were damn right.

220 x 2 on bench this morning. Will get 225 next week.

BTW first day back from being sick and bad lower back (1 week). It's like I didn't miss a beat.

Hey a rest never hurt! Congrats on the bench. Two plates will feel awesome I bet.

SeanR1221

Assembling all the foods I'll be eating for the next 10 weeks. Here's what I got.

- chicken
- tuna
- broccoli
- green beans
- Brussel sprouts
- butternut squash
- spinach
- eggplant
- peppers
- frozen berries
- eggs
- bacon (occasionally)
- whey
- coconut oil
- olive oil
- turkey burgers
- chicken sausage
- pork (occasionally)
- salmon

grumble

On a cardio program like insanity, you'll need some carbs to maintain the stores of glycogen in your muscles. Eat as few as you can to not feel like crap during your workouts and day. Oatmeal is fine.

Skip the 369 and just take omega 3. You get plenty of 6 and 9 in your diet. Don't worry about whey so much as you worry about whole food.

Out of curiosity, why insanity?

Great workout yesterday, even though I'm stuck at 164 pounds.
Squats were nice and deep at 275 for 3x8 then 315 for 5 reps.
Leg press at 450 for 3x8
Lunges with 65 pound db's
Did the whole stack of weights on leg extension. 250 for 3x8
I shifted weights around for lef curl (still trying to find the best squeeze)

It feels great to know that I'm the strongest I have ever been (Leg wise)
Keep working hard guys !!

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Bros, I'm steadily losing weight while still eating like shit now that I'm working this job (back down to 225). I'm on my feet/walking so much that's got to be it. I'm not complaining, job is kick ass and it's "helping me" only problem is I've had to scale back to 2x a week again until I move closer to work (1 hour to and 1 hour from work is killing me).

Wonder how this is gonna look in a few months, lol. Hopefully my lifts aren't gonna suffer too much from this weight loss, gonna have to keep an eye on it.

Now off to bed with me (just got off midnight shift).

SeanR1221

Bros, I'm steadily losing weight while still eating like shit now that I'm working this job (back down to 225). I'm on my feet/walking so much that's got to be it. I'm not complaining, job is kick ass and it's "helping me" only problem is I've had to scale back to 2x a week again until I move closer to work (1 hour to and 1 hour from work is killing me).

Wonder how this is gonna look in a few months, lol. Hopefully my lifts aren't gonna suffer too much from this weight loss, gonna have to keep an eye on it.

Nice any interesting stories or can you not really say?

CrankyJay

Banned

Welcome back!

MjFrancis

That commute is garbage. I'm a half-hour out from work and I still think that's too much. Any longer would be horrid.

From what I understand of your line of work is that you're going to have to contend with less-than-ideal work shifts for a while too. If you are exclusively working the graveyard shift that will require some adaptation. I'm sure you're up to it, and your lifts may suffer for a time but you'll find your rhythm.

CrankyJay

Banned
That commute is garbage. I'm a half-hour out from work and I still think that's too much. Any longer would be horrid.

From what I understand of your line of work is that you're going to have to contend with less-than-ideal work shifts for a while too. If you are exclusively working the graveyard shift that will require some adaptation. I'm sure you're up to it, and your lifts may suffer for a time but you'll find your rhythm.

12 minutes each way for me... =)

Minamu

Welp, went back to the gym today after a year long hiatus. I took it easy with lower weights than I used back in the day. I focused on arms, back and some stomach exercises because that's what my friend had scheduled for today. It's gonna be interesting to see how I feel tomorrow though. I have a desk job so starting out with arms will probably haunt me for the rest of the week :S

ji2LmHJ.jpg

dem traps <3

Anyone doing Tough Mudder?

I'm gonna have change my training to incorporate more endurance work.

Yeah I have done it before. I focused on getting a relatively fast 6-8 mile avg and it made a big difference for me.

Your total commute is 2 hours? Wow man I am sorry that would rob a lot of strength and motivation from me.

entremet

Yeah I have done it before. I focused on getting a relatively fast 6-8 mile avg and it made a big difference for me.

How did you alter your weight training? I currently do a 3x week full body routine, basically squatting, press, benching, dead lifting every other workout, rowing, with arm accessories.

How did you alter your weight training? I currently do a 3x week full body routine.

I varied between doing 2 miles before or after my workouts(sometimes at home, sometimes on a treadmill) and on either Saturday or Sunday running a 6-8 mile flat course on pavement or up this big hill we have. If you already incorporate supersets or circuits in your workout your lungs will be more than ready for the increased work load.

theytookourjobz

Assembling all the foods I'll be eating for the next 10 weeks. Here's what I got.

- chicken
- tuna
- broccoli
- green beans
- Brussel sprouts
- butternut squash
- spinach
- eggplant
- peppers
- frozen berries
- eggs
- bacon (occasionally)
- whey
- coconut oil
- olive oil
- turkey burgers
- chicken sausage
- pork (occasionally)
- salmon

+sweet potatoes and asparagus and avacado

Ekdrm2d1

Mully & Fitness-GAF:

Re: Chest hair and pecs.

My pecs grew in! I'm able to feel the outline of the pecs and feel the raised muscle of the pecs. However, they're hard to see considering I have a medium set of chest hair.

Shaving seems the easiest and cheapest but I'm nervous that I'd get razor burn and have redness for the completed photos. It was a fitness goal of mine to get pecs so I want the completed photos to be perfect.

Waxing seems like an OK idea, I've had my eyebrows waxed and it's not that bad. Stings for like 3 seconds. Then again, eyebrow hair is different than chest hair. There's so much more hair on my chest than eyebrows, it might start to become obnoxious/hurt.

I do not want permanent hair removal, that sounds scary!

Somebody mentioned trimming the hair to where I can see the outlines but I'm not sure about that.

Lastly, I love my chest hair. I've never shaved it in my life. Sorta think men are supposed to have a hairy chest. Then again, if you have pec muscles you need to show them off..

Thoughts or ideas? Thanks

andycapps

I'm so happy that I got transferred to an office that's less than 10 minutes away from my house, and I don't even have to get on the interstate to get to work. It's awesome. I was used to driving 20-30 minutes for the last decade, and those times were higher if it snowed and people forgot how to drive in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom