• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Five Short Games I Enjoyed Lately

Humdinger

Back in April, I realized I was tired of playing big, open-world games. I decided to experiment with playing short games - games under 20 hours. Here are 5 that I enjoyed. If you're looking for a short game to play, you might check these out if you haven't already.
  • Stray (9/10)
  • Plague Tale: Innocence (8.5/10)
  • A Short Hike (9/10)
  • Bramble: The Mountain King (8/10)
  • Cocoon (8/10)
Brief impressions follow. If you have a short game you enjoyed, please recommend it.

Stray

header.jpg

What a charming little game. It has an innocent, sweet, and wholesome quality that is rare in games these days. The gameplay is old-fashioned and fairly simple. As far as I’m concerned, the simplicity of the gameplay is to its credit. I play games to relax and feel entertained, not to stress.

The developers mixed things up to keep it interesting. The story was good, as long as you don’t think too hard about it (ha). The length was perfect – about 8 hours in my case. It didn't overstay its welcome, and it wrapped up nicely. Well done, developers.

9/10

Plague Tale: Innocence

3987d42ccbd6c61f8a4881f3f48e40913f75e0254ed794653f6b8972d964b6dc_product_card_v2_mobile_slider_639.jpg

Stealth games aren't normally my thing, but I enjoyed Plague Tale: Innocence. I think that's because they kept the stealth easy enough that you didn't have to go through a lot of trial-and-error. The characters were good. Dialog was well-written and well-performed, not overdone or cheesy as it easily could have been. The developers did a good job of mixing things up by adding new characters, new locations, and new mechanics along the way.

I like the setting of the Middle Ages, and that helped. I think it's a fascinating period. I liked the main characters as well, Amecia and Hugo. The story was not unnecessarily padded out and ended as it should.

Enjoyable and immersive. My only complaint is that the difficulty spikes suddenly during the last level of the game. That took me by surprise, because the rest of the game was relatively easy and relaxed gameplay. Then suddenly you're getting clobbered. Part of that is because of the fiddly controls. This made the last chapter more frustrating than enjoyable for me. However, I did enjoy the rest of the game. Took me about 13 hours.

8.5/10

A Short Hike

ash-fp__big.jpg

This is a simple, easy adventure. I found it refreshing, relaxing, and fun. It has simple graphics, a pleasant natural setting, a lighthearted tone, and humor that works. The gameplay is simple and easy. The music is perfectly suited. The dialog is cute without being cloying, and the story is sweet without being sentimental.

Many games leave me feeling drained or “meh” after playing them. A Short Hike left me with a smile on my face. The game has a good heart, if you know what I mean. It was over in 4 hours, and I wanted it to continue. Very nice experience.

9/10

Bramble: The Mountain King

capsule_616x353.jpg

This is a unique adventure/platformer from a Swedish developer, based on Norwegian folktales. The uniqueness comes from the stark and beautiful visuals, the occasionally gruesome imagery, and the strange Scandinavian mix of light and dark tone. There are many grim scenes – the developers do not tippy-toe around some serious themes - but there are upbeat moments as well.

Gameplay is easy for the most part. At times it can be a bit challenging, but nothing too difficult. However, the final boss fight was too annoying and frustrating for me to deal with, so I just watched the end on Youtube.

Largely enjoyable, unique game. Took me about 6 hours.

8/10

Cocoon

Cocoon_Cover_Art.png

This is a very well-made puzzle game. I was immersed in its world quickly. After all the verbosity of another game, I was in the mood for something like this - quiet, non-verbal, atmospheric. The sound design is great. The art style is very slick, and the presentation overall is top-quality. I was immersed in the sense of mystery that the game creates, and there were many times when I would go "ooo" or "wow, cool" during the first half of the game.

I am not very fond of puzzle games normally. I don't like the feeling of getting frustrated with a game, and I don't have a lot of patience. However, this game did not try my patience until I got to about the 90% level. At that point, it got too finicky and abstract for me, and I was getting stumped over and over. It stopped being fun and started getting annoying, so I didn't finish it. But up until that point, I did enjoy it, so I have to give it credit. It's a cool little game.

8/10

Here are some other short games I tried recently:

• Road 96 (7/10)
  • Pentiment (7/10)
  • RE 3 remake - only played half, not for me
  • Forgotten City - only played half, too much yapping
  • The Quarry (6/10)
  • Spiritfarer - only played a few hours, got bored
  • Deliver Us the Moon (7/10)
  • Figment - only played half, didn't feel like continuing
  • Indika (7.5/10)
  • Nobody Wants to Die (7/10)

If you have any short games you'd like to recommend, please put them in the thread. Thanks.

peek

Man, I guess i dont play one and done short games anymore. Cant even think of one to recommend... hmm. Eh, im also half awake so. Yeah.

Skifi28

I've almost forgotten what a short game is. It feels like everything I play these days is 50+ hours and it takes me weeks If not months to finish. I grabbed bramble on a recent sale so I think it'll go with that to cleanse the palate before the next 100 hour game.

Planet of Lana. I have yet to play a cinematic platformer I didn't like and this is no exception. You've got a cute cat companion, puzzles that give some challenge but won't stop your progress, good visuals and enough story to give some context. As usual with these games I would prefer some more challenge but this is enjoyable.

95mellow

Few short game recs:
  • Buckshot Roulette
  • Firewatch
  • Hotline Miami
  • Jusant
  • LIMBO/Inside
  • No One Lives Under the Lighthouse
  • Return of the Obra Dinn
  • Titanfall 2

Last edited:
Good picks. Also add Still Wakes the Deep to the list. Pretty good short horror game.

Holy cow, yeah, man. It's got some stupid annoying stuff every once in a while, but this game is grotesquely beautiful. I'd like to give a shout out to Scorn as well. I played it right before Still Wakes the Deep and feel like they paired well together. Also, heads up to anyone that likes physical copies, Video Games Plus is taking preorders for a reprint of the PS5 Scorn. It normally goes for crazy money on ebay.

poodaddy

Gold Member
I don't know if I'd consider it short, but I suppose by the standards of people who like to drop a hundred hours on a game it definitely is: Thimbleweed Park.

I found Thimbleweed Park to be the best of its genre, and I've played many of these types of games. I simply consider it a near perfect game. Unbelievably high quality and charming, with a massive amount of heart and quality writing. If you like Ron Gilbert games, point and click adventure titles in general, Twin Peaks, X Files, or Deadly Premonition, please check it out. It's like a beautifully hilarious love letter to games, and to those of us who love them.

bender

What time is it?
I played and finished all of those, weird. A Short Hike is my favorite and an easy recommend. I thought Cocoon was kind of an average puzzle game but the design is really fascinating. I think if the developers hadn't have designed the game as it released, most everyone would get hopelessly stuck. So while I think it is more interesting than good, I still respect the hell out of it. I hated the art in Bramble and the game is pretty clunky otherwise. Stray didn't click with me either as I hated the traversal mechanics. A Plague Tale is fine but it overstays its' welcome and feels tedious during the later third of the game.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
If your cut-off is 20 hrs, I'll also suggest trying Dungeons of Hinterberg. Finished it a few days back, it was an unexpectedly fun game.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Plague tail I wouldn't consider all that short but good list and as a grown man with a life short games are my jam.

Still wakes the deep is a recent good one I've tried.

Last edited:

Humdinger

Plague tail I wouldn't consider all that short but good list and as a grown man with a life short games are my jam.

Still wakes the deep is a recent good one I've tried.

It took me 13 hours, which qualifies as short for me. I think the second one clocks in at around 20 hours, which probably doesn't.

I'll have to check out Still Wakes the Deep. You're the third person to mention it. I thought their first game, Everyone's Gone to the Rapture, was visually and aurally interesting but lacking in terms of gameplay. Hopefully they've upped their game a little in that regard.

Last edited:
Top Bottom