• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fleet Foxes - Crack-Up out June 16, new single out now

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaislip3

Fleet Foxes will release Crack-Up, its long-awaited and highly anticipated third album, June 16 on Nonesuch Records. Crack-Up comes six years after the 2011 release of Helplessness Blues and nearly a decade since the band's 2008 self-titled debut. Fleet Foxes has released the album track "Third of May / Ōdaigahara," a nearly nine-minute epic powered by piano and electric twelve-string guitar, string quartet, and the group's trademark sparkling harmonies. Nonesuch Store pre-orders of Crack-Up include an instant download of the track (watch the lyric video, created by Sean Pecknold and Adi Goodrich, above) and an exclusive, limited-edition print featuring artwork by Hiroshi Hamaya.

All eleven of the songs on Crack-Up were written by Robin Pecknold. The album was co-produced by Pecknold and Skyler Skjelset, his longtime bandmate, collaborator, and childhood friend. Crack-Up was recorded at various locations across the United States between July 2016 and January 2017: at Electric Lady Studios, Sear Sound, The Void, Rare Book Room, Avast, and The Unknown. Phil Ek mixed the album, at Sear Sound, and it was mastered by Greg Calbi at Sterling Sound. Fleet Foxes is Robin Pecknold (vocals, multi-instrumentalist), Skyler Skjelset (multi-instrumentalist, vocals), Casey Wescott (multi-instrumentalist, vocals), Christian Wargo (multi-instrumentalist, vocals), and Morgan Henderson (multi-instrumentalist).
http://www.nonesuch.com/artists/fleet-foxes

Fleet%20Foxes_CrackUp_Digital%20HI%20RES.jpg

Third of May / Ōdaigahara

Sounds great. Brings me back.

*edit*

Unbelievable that it's been almost 10 years since their first full album...... different world.

big ander

That last section of Third of May / Ōdaigahara is beautiful. I hope that's what Robin means by the transitions between songs being "jarring, non-linear." Would love to hear these songs peppered with drones and sudden shifts.

I'm surprised so many people thought they were done. Pecknold has been open about taking a temporary hiatus and going to college, toured solo pretty regularly, and updated fans regularly about where work was at on new fleet foxes material. Hiatuses happen. Happy this one is finally over.

No Chicago date yet but I'm sure there'll be one. Can't wait to finally see them in full, only show of there's I tried to see was a festival headlining date on a Friday. Tried to hurry in town to see them and only saw the last song.

Fleet Foxes + Beach House at the Hollywood bowl is gonna be amazing. I saw FF the last time they played LA which was 6 years ago I think? Can't wait for this album.

MrS

Banned
Really like the new song and it's so good to hear Robin's voice on something new. Hope they do a full UK tour so I can catch them live (fuck going to Latitude again).

chaislip3

Full tracklist

1. I Am All That I Need / Arroyo Seco / Tumbprint Scar
2. Cassius, -
3. - Naiads, Cassadies
4. Kept Woman
5. Third of May / Ōdaigahara
6. If You Need to, Keep Time on Me
7. Mearcstapa
8. On Another Ocean (January/June)
9. Fool's Errand
10. I Should See Memphis
11. Crack-Up

SeanC

Damn I would love to spend a nice September evening at the Hollywood Bowl with these guys. Cheap seats here I come.

overcast

Damn I would love to spend a nice September evening at the Hollywood Bowl with these guys. Cheap seats here I come.
Might have to be cheap seats for me. Gonna be pricey and tough to get.

Not sure how I feel about the bowl, but it's mostly supposed to be enjoying the music and vibe (sitting with picnic type deal) more than a traditional concert.

SeanC

Might have to be cheap seats for me. Gonna be pricey and tough to get.

I told my girlfriend about who they are and and that they're going to be pricey and she responded "I doubt that, it's not like they're Lady Gaga or something."

I said "Girl...you don't even know."

They aren't going to be cheap, I'm betting they sell out quick too.

I also may or may not have snapped my fingers as I said that.

maruchan

Weird both fleet foxes and father john misty both releasing albums around the same time...

Would love robin pecknold j tilman album...

I'm just not into folk music at all, but Fleet Foxes fucking get me in the feels. They make such beautiful music! Can't wait for June!

IrishNinja

oh man, nice

haven't heard any albums/tracks past that one that had blue ridge mountains on it, but i really loved that album

Mifune

Mehmber
Fleet Foxes are not going to sell out the Bowl quick. That place is huge.

EDIT: Never mind - Beach House, too. Quick though? We'll see...

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Fleet Foxes + Animal Collective on Saturday and Spoon + Belle and Sebastien + Andrew Bird on Sunday.

Gonna be like my own little music festival cept all the bands are good.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
I hope they come within driving distance of Omaha. Went to both tours for their last two LPs and will pay any price to see them live again if it is within a reasonable difference.

I have been to a lot of concerts in my life, going back 20 years, but their Helplessness Blues show at Uptown Theater in KC is a top 3 show for me, bar none. Absolutely incredible, played every song I could hope for and everything was pitch perfect, even the volume wasn't so loud that the sound was distorted, as is the case for many shows run by garbage sound technicians. I didn't need ear plugs and I was at the very front the entire time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom