• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Flint and Michigan settle water dispute for $87 million

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al-ibn Kermit

By January 2020?! I don't expect this to be a quick fix but my God.

You give them a date three years away and they're going to aim to start doing the work only around that time. Then they'll hit you with more extensions. This isn't settling shit.

There is talk of a lower maximum lead level (from 15 ppb down to 10 ppb) starting around 2020. In addition to mandatory testing for lead in schools. It could be that they mean to aim to have the most heavily corroded water lines replaced by the time they expect to be held to the higher standard.

If the $87 million is just to replace 18,000 lines, not including reimbursing the victims for their suffering or any additional infrastructure costs, then it doesn't sound that bad. Flint's population is about 100,000 so it seems like they're going to replace almost every water line.

Since republicans are evil where are the billionaire philanthropists to help with this issue? All talk no game on certain issues it seems with all their totally fairly gotten wealth.

arigato

$87M just to fix the water system.

Ok.

Now, what about all the people with brain damage from lead poisoning?
Time and time again I am always reminded of this verse from one of the Black Eyed Peas early songs.. "You could look for justice but I bet you won't find any". - from "Say Goodbye". I abolished my hopes and beliefs of a better world long ago. Best that they remain abolished.

Al-ibn Kermit

Time and time again I am always reminded of this verse from one of the Black Eyed Peas early songs.. "You could look for justice but I bet you won't find any". - from "Say Goodbye". I abolished my hopes and beliefs of a better world long ago. Best that they remain abolished.

Wow it's almost like you have no regard for the cringing you cause.

If you wanna make a difference, help find automated ways to do real time monitoring of infrastructure. Our current systems of water, gas, etc are all manually inspected which is why doing testing/inspection once a decade is pretty normal.

It's a simple solution that would reduce oversight of problem areas and also make it impossible to lie to the regulators about what the numbers are actually like.

Chirotera

Banned
Fuck Snyder and his cronies. Most of them are going to get away with fucking over multiple generations of people from the area.

How any of this has moved forward without Snyder resigning makes me fucking ashamed to be a Michigander. But hey, at least I didn't vote for him and openly swayed people away from doing so.

Pyrokai

What kind of state goes to war with its own cities? Jesus. This should have been figured out almost immediately with full state support.

I feel like Detroit would be recovering more quickly if it not for Michigan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom