• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Flint residents warned they could face foreclosure over refusing to pay water bill

Madness

Surely there is some rich folks out there that can donate to these people to get their bills paid, get some clean water. $100 million to strike a shit ass airport in Syria but not improve generational Americans water supply. Just so messed up. Make America Great Again just means Make America slightly whiter again, and fuck anyone who isn't blonde blue eyes little timmy or susie.

Jesus, I can't even begin to imagine man :(

It certainly sucks, but we're surviving for the most part. I'm just surprised that the state is just blatantly ignoring it and saying things are fine when they've not even replaced pipes and whatnot.

Some people seem to think the issues were resolved simply because they're not seeing it in the news any more. I don't expect news companies to cover it all day every day, but something would be nice. But then again, who wants to hear news about a poverty stricken city being poisoned. Grumble Grumble.

Even though you pointed outYour wording of the situation makes this Look like the problems are not as bad they are. Also has the state government In Michigan given the citizens of flint any reason to trust them? I mean this whole nightmare happened under the same government leadership that is still currently in power. Would you personally trust someone after they poisoned their own citizens and then tried to cover it up?
3rd parties including the ones who exposed the EPA and the State of Michigan's incorrect science and bad testing are saying the same thing.

http://flintwaterstudy.org/2017/05/faq-may-2017/
Flint’s current water quality status and lead filters

Is it true, that the water in Flint is still not safe to drink without a filter?

We and many others, currently believe that it is NOT safe to drink water that has passed through a lead pipe, without passing it through a certified lead filter, in Flint or any other city. The risk of having lead rust fall from the pipe into the water supply is just too great. That is something we suspected strongly before Flint, proved true in Flint, and we hope this knowledge might eventually result in changes to the definition of “safe” nationally. Milwaukee and Pittsburgh are also now distributing lead filters free of charge to some customers.

But a few years ago EPA Office of Ground Water and Drinking Water asserted that if a city met the Action Level of 15 ppb, that meant the city’s water was “safe” by law. We argued against that, but the EPA is an authority and what they say carries some weight. By their definition, which we do not support but which is used by many cities around the country, Flint’s water is currently “safe” to drink without a filter.​

I get your point but right now the test results are showing the water is as safe as those of other major cities. Without any scientist or scientific evidence to back up the assertion the water is "poison" the legal case for not paying bills seems weak.

Last I heard they got the actual water up to standard, and they were gradually fixing the piping, but have recommended people still filter their water in case theirs is still connected to one of the corrupted pipes.

I assume the fact that they're not paying their water bills (despite the government claiming the water is technically safe) is problematic since they are freely provided the necessary equipment to use the poisoned water (and are currently, allegedly, continually working to fix the root of the issue), but nothing good can come of this and I can't believe they chose this stance with the fucking microscope Flint is under.

Iorv3th

Is that even legal? I can see them turning your water off and sending you to a collection agency, but never heard of them putting a lien on property before.

They should have cut the water off long before it went that long without being payed anyways.

Funny that they have enough resources to send out bills and these lien notices but not enough resources to fix the fucking water system.

mackattk

That's about 6 months worth of water bills without the water credit the state was giving us, which they took away in February and the prices went back up to pre-crisis levels. For our household of 3, with us taking showers every other day or longer between them to limit exposure to the water, it's still $189 for ONE month of poison water we can't drink.

and also, bathing in the water might be safe from a lead exposure standpoint, but they've dumped a shit ton of extra chemicals to combat further pipe corrosion, and people are having horrible side effects. For instance, my mother's having some pretty awful skin problems due to it.

That is insane. Our water bill for two people is routinely under $40 per month.

depths20XX

How did her bill get up to over $800? In my city they cut off your water if you're a month or so late on payment. Which would only be like $100 or so. Why not just call them and tell them to cut it off if you're using your own water anyways?

How the fuck is this still not solved. Get a damn emergency water pipe to there and give these people free water the rest of their lives for the whole mess.

How did her bill get up to over $800? In my city they cut off your water if you're a month or so late on payment. Which would only be like $100 or so. Why not just call them and tell them to cut it off if you're using your own water anyways?

If you don't have water at your house they can claim it's unlivable/take your fucking kids.

Top Bottom