• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida County considers special tax for Trump’s Mar-a-Lago visits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piecake

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. — Commissioners in a Florida county are so tired of spending money on President Donald Trump’s frequent visits to his Mar-a-Lago resort that some are suggesting a special tax be levied against the property if the federal government doesn’t reimburse its costs.

Palm Beach County spends more than $60,000 a day when the president visits, mostly for law enforcement overtime -- almost $2 million since January. Sheriff Ric Bradshaw says the county was expected to spend $250,000 during Trump’s recent meeting with Chinese President Xi Jinping, the president’s sixth trip to his Winter White House in the 12 weeks since his inauguration.

“We’re very honored to have the president here, but at the same time, his travel here is such high frequency he’s not visiting Palm Beach County — he’s governing from it,” Kerner told Money magazine recently. “Whatever our priorities are, the taxpayers didn’t pay this money to us to protect the president.”

The sheriff believes the federal government will eventually reimburse the county, but can’t be certain.

“I had a personal conversation with the president in February and he understands,” Bradshaw said. “There is a system in place and, unfortunately, that involves Congress ... and that is not an easy thing to navigate through. I am sure they will get around to it.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...-1030pm:homepage/story&utm_term=.11278cfcf55a

If I were him, I would be a lot less sure that Congress gets around to that.

Taramoor

Honestly if he's going to continue like this there's little reason not to just eminent domain Mar-a-lago and Trump Tower.

It is in the best interest of Florida that those properties be under full government control for the duration of Trump's presidency.

Sol Mori

How long until Trump's lawyers invoke McCulloch v. Maryland?

While I am not a lawyer and can not say if that would apply in this situation; Palm Beach County could just refuse to provide any security if they're not getting reimbursed by the federal government.

This isn't a singular visit or a few times a year; this is an ongoing event that is placing an undue burden on the area.

WedgeX

Banned
This is a tax on Mar a Lago, which isn't owned by the government.

Oh I know. But I expect that Trump's lawyers will try to claim exemptions from this special tax on the basis of wiggling in some form of federal function on the resort.

Burt

If only there was someone with a disgusting amount of money who could possibly take responsibility for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom