• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Floyd Mayweather's final opponent offers epic insight into what its like to face him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom_Cody

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQjvXRcnPvw

Fantastic video interview with Andre Berto (Floyd's last opponent prior to retiring). It's hard to explain why the interview is so great, but he gives really interesting insight about what it's like to be in the ring with an all-time great. The mind games, the subtle tactics. Super interesting.

Here's a write-up, but it doesn't give the video interview justice:
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/andre-...ts-floyd-mayweathers-greatness-175830456.html

Berto said:
”When I was in there with him, he manages the time. He looks up at the clock like four times during a round. He'll move around, move around, look at the clock, move around, move around, look at the clock, grab you tight, look at the clock and then, ‘Bop! Bop!' He'll hit you two or three times, just enough to win the round."

Berto also said that nothing gets past Mayweather during a fight. Even when they're sitting on the stool during the rest period between rounds, Berto said Mayweather is paying attention.

He checks his opponent in the opposite corner to see if he's getting tired.

”I've never been in there with somebody who's so observant," Berto said. ”He's very observant of everything that's going on. He kept looking to see if I was tired, so I'd jump up off my stool and come straight at him. He'll stall. He'll act like he's going to punch and he'll stall you, then he'll get back on that bicycle. ... He's such a veteran and he knows every part of that ring. He knows every little small thing, so he doesn't have to work too hard. It's crazy, because it's almost like he cons his way out of every round."

And here's a GIF from Floyd's fight with Berto:

i2MM7eG.gif

23vl4ivjpg.gif

pretty.gif

mayweather-vs-gatti.gif

mayweather-rd-7.gif

Master class.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Damn this is an excellent break down of exactly why Mayweather is unbeaten at this point from one who would know. He is a boxing machine, a weapon honed to its sharpest edge and age hasn't dulled him, if anything its just given him more and more experience. His strategy combined with his incredible stamina and reaction time mean he is the most frustrating fighter for nearly anyone to face. Your strategy falls apart as his goes without a hitch and soon you're fighting his fight and then getting frustrated and it compounds itself. That and Berto does some great impressions of things like Floyd's attentive nature and constantly reacting to what he sees.

Maximus.

Not an exciting fighter, but great strategy that leads to the win, which is all that matters at the end of the day.

Falchion

Yeah it makes sense that he's really observant and tries to use that information to escape rounds with as few hits as possible. It's a smart fighting style because it's why he's been able to keep going so long.

norm9

“When I was in there with him, he manages the time. He looks up at the clock like four times during a round. He’ll move around, move around, look at the clock, move around, move around, look at the clock, grab you tight, look at the clock and then, ‘Bop! Bop!’ He’ll hit you two or three times, just enough to win the round.”

That's definitely a Money fight.

That's definitely a Money fight.

When was the last time Floyd fought any other type of fight?

Edit: I assumed you were insulting Floyd's approach but I now realize that you were most likely just stating that what was said of him in the interview can be said of almost anyone participating at that level. I'm tired.

He made "gaming the system" an art form. When he goes into the ring with a "fighter" looking to knock him out, you're watching two people with completely different objectives. One is looking to exploit the rules to be awarded a win by the judges, and the other wants to fight.

This is why so many people including myself can't stand Floyd. He wins on the letter of the law, not the spirit.
Conor is gonna get absolutely mauled:(
No, he won't. That's not what Floyd does. Did you watch the interview or read the OP? He'll get hugged and take a couple jabs.

He made "gaming the system" an art form. When he goes into the ring with a "fighter" looking to knock him out, you're watching two people with completely different objectives. One is looking to exploit the rules to be awarded a win by the judges, and the other wants to fight.

This is why so many people including myself can't stand Floyd. He wins on the letter of the law, not the spirit.

It's not Floyd's fault people can't catch him or find a way around his strategy. If everyone he's beaten was simply a fighter looking to knock him out but they can't clip with a good enough shot as he dances his way to a technical victory, be mad at his opponents. Who in their right mind would stand there and trade blows when you can make boatloads of cash protecting yourself while winning?

Squalor

God, there are so many past threads and posts on this website that state McGregor and Rousey could be Mayweather.

So funny. So dumb.

No, he won't. That's not what Floyd does. Did you watch the interview or read the OP? He'll get hugged and take a couple jabs.

This is nonsense.

I could at least understand if you were talking about Guillermo Rigondeaux and the style typically associated with Cuban fighters.

CrocoDuck

Exactly. It's like a finding an exploit in a game that was never meant to used as intended (in this case, the clinching as a strategic move comes to mind).

Poppy

i like how we are supposed to be indignant that he is using the rules of a sport (effectively a game) to win instead of being ready to brutalize people

seems like a kinda pointlessy violent outlook

Exactly. It's like a finding an exploit in a game that was never meant to used as intended (in this case, the clinching as a strategic move comes to mind).

LOL Clinching being used as a strategic move in boxing has been used since forever. Floyd really isn't that big of an offender of it to be honest. I don't know if you've ever suffered through John Ruiz fights, but it's the worst. Hell, Wladimir Klistchko is much more guilty of it.

It's like some of ya'll don't know what you're talking about or watch very little boxing.

iavi

It makes for an incredibly boring match, but there's no denying the tactical smarts behind the style

CrocoDuck

LOL Clinching being used as a strategic move in boxing has been used since forever. Floyd really isn't that a big of an offender of it to be honest. I don't know if you've ever suffered through John Ruiz fights, but it's the worst. Hell, Wladimir Klistchko is much more guilty of it.

The way Floyd uses it? No way. I agree with what you say about Klitchko ODing the clinch which make his fights super boring. What I mean to say is that Floyd uses it deliberately to drain and tire his opponents, rather than doing it out of desperation or fatigue. The clinch has been around forever, as its only natural for fighters to but-in with each other from time to time. The clinch in boxing was never intended to be used like this, and Floyd has mastered it to the point where it's an accepted, and even encouraged move.

I don't think Floyd came up with that strategy though. I could be completely wrong, but It might have been Emmanuel Stewart who encouraged his fighters to initiate a clinch.

Cipherr

It's not Floyd's fault people can't catch him or find a way around his strategy. If everyone he's beaten was simply a fighter looking to knock him out but they can't clip with a good enough shot as he dances his way to a technical victory, be mad at his opponents. Who in their right mind would stand there and trade blows when you can make boatloads of cash protecting yourself while winning?

I don't know if thats a serious question or not. I get the spirit of what you are trying to say, but to answer the bolded...

Well.. Hundreds and hundreds of fighters that preceded him. There have been TONS of fighters who preferred and spent their careers trading blows instead of fighting the way Floyd does. Literally hundreds.

I mean, I think everyone understand that its called a science for a reason, and Floyd is one of the best of all time in terms of being a technical fighter; but boy oh boy do I fucking loathe watching it. I won't deny him his deserved respect for being the best at it, but don't expect me to pretend I like it, or cape for the shit because it made him rich when none of that money is seeing my pockets personally (in fact its the opposite with paying to see his typically boring fights).

It really reveals how large of a spectrum there is in terms of boxing fans though. I could see someone who boxed personally in their lives enjoying the more technical and perfected craft of Floyd while those like myself who only buys PPVs to enjoy a fight here and there just shrug that shit off and keep moving.

I don't think this is fair. The system and grading in boxing is pretty fucking deliberate. Just because Floyd is one of the first to work the system with such perfection doesn't make it a cheat; and insinuating that its an unintended 'mechanic' seems disingenuous too. The sports been around a long time. It was built this way, and he learned it and perfected a way to win consistently. Its 100% fair.

Nafai1123

Banned
i like how we are supposed to be indignant that he is using the rules of a sport (effectively a game) to win instead of being ready to brutalize people

I mean...we're talking about a sport where two people punch each other and try to knock each other out. I know there is much more to it than that, but the basic fundamentals of the sport are violent. Makes sense that many people (especially those who aren't particularly into boxing) think that is what it's all about.

Floyd is an amazing talent, but I just don't have enough interest in the sport to find his fighting style particularly entertaining.

The way Floyd uses it? No way. I agree with what you say about Klitchko ODing the clinch which make his fights super boring. What I mean to say is that Floyd uses it deliberately to drain and tire his opponents, rather than doing it out of desperation or fatigue. The clinch has been around forever, as its only natural for fighters to but-in with each other from time to time. The clinch in boxing was never intended to be used like this, and Floyd has mastered it to the point where it's an accepted, and even encouraged move.

I don't think Floyd came up with that strategy though. I could be completely wrong, but It might have been Emmanuel Stewart who encouraged his fighters to initiate a clinch.

Once again Floyd does not use it that much compared to other fighters and fights. It has been around forever and part of the blame is referees having different tolerances in enforcing against it. I remember Berto vs Collazo and Berto in the 1st Round kept holding and the referee warned him once, and on the next time immediately took a point away which changed the tenor of the fight and it ended up being a Fight of the Year candidate.

Hell Bernard Hopkins has used the hold much worse. Floyd's use of the hold doesn't even register when I watch him, because it's nowhere near as a bad as other guys before him and currently fighting that use it.

You are full if it. The clinch has been used by numerous fighters as a way to tire or lock up opponents to minimize opportunities since the dawn of modern boxing.

Floyd uses it nowhere near as much as other fighters in heavier weight classes.

shaowebb

I work with a bunch of hype guys who honestly think Conor, as good as he is, can beat a pure boxer like Mayweather in a pure boxing match. LOTS of dudes Mayweather fought were adrenaline pumped technical knock you on your ass aggressive types. He still beat them all. He should've fought Pacman at Pacman's peak so we'll never know what one of such caliber could do at the top of their game, but as is...Conor is not Pacman.

Mayweather will win it if he is serious at all.

IrishNinja

Get ready for the people who know nothing about boxing to troll him.

welp, you called that one, man

CrocoDuck

Once again Floyd does not use it that much compared to other fighters and fights. It has been around forever and part of the blame is referees having different tolerances in enforcing against it. I remember Berto vs Collazo and Berto in the 1st Round kept holding and the referee warned him once, and on the next time immediately took a point away which changed the tenor of the fight and it ended up being a Fight of the Year candidate.

Hell Bernard Hopkins has used the hold much worse. Floyd's use of the hold doesn't even register when I watch him, because it's nowhere near as a bad as other guys before him and currently fighting that use it.

Yeah, I agree with you. Floyd doesn't use it as much as other fighters, but the refs never enforce it in his fights, At least, afaik when he was fighting as Money May, Pretty Boy is a different fighter.

I mean...we're talking about a sport where two people punch each other and try to knock each other out. I know there is much more to it than that, but the basic fundamentals of the sport are violent. Makes sense that many people (especially those who aren't particularly into boxing) think that is what it's all about.

Floyd is an amazing talent, but I just don't have enough interest in the sport to find his fighting style particularly entertaining.

When did you start watching Floyd? The problem is by the time he got mainstream famous he was already an older accomplished future HOF'er veteran fighting in his 4th or 5th highest weight division and was slowly declining from his physical peak of his prime despite being fresh for a fighter his age.

Most people didn't start watching him till his De La Hoya fight at Jr. Middle Weight.

I say that to say Floyd was one of the most skillful and exciting fighters coming up but by the time he reached Welterweight his power leveled off, and his brittle hands caused him to be more economical with his punches, and he fought smarter in order to extend his career and maximize his chances of winning.

VoxPop

but he'll be able to retire onto a mountain of cash so I'll be happy for him.

Yeah, it's going to be great for both sports as a whole. Hopefully, it will open up a way for both sports to co-exist (maybe even co-promote and fighter share) much like Pride/K-1 did in the heyday. Also hope it brings better fighter pay to MMA guys at least. I'm not really some fighter pay advocate, especially for the non-draws but superstars should be paid as such in order to attract elite talent and I'm sure WME wouldn't mind being that it is a talent agency itself.

polyh3dron said:

Acerac said:
I'm sure he'll lose the fight in a horribly one sided fashion, but mauling? That doesn't sound like Mayweather to me.

Agreed. I didn't mean mauling as in some bloody massacre but more in the sense he'll dominate him over 12 rounds without a sweat. I'm curious to see if the spectacle of it all will bring out a more aggressive Mayweather who isn't scared to go toe to toe with a MMA striker.

Knuckle Sandwich said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJczoxTiQjY

There's Berto giving Conor advice.

Berto is a chill dude. I have genuine respect for fighters who can give others due credit without it hurting their ego.

I agree. It's like watching people fence and being bummed out because they aren't sticking each other with switchblades.

I agree. It's like watching people fence and being bummed out because they aren't sticking each other with switchblades.

Yeah, all I hear is:

Why won't he stand still and trade punches like Rock'em Sock'em robots and increase his chances of losing for my benefit? Why don't I ever put the blame on the other fighter who's style is completely offensive and yet Floyd's not letting them hit him by ducking and dodging and then using feints, punches, counter punches, and footwork to completely neutralize them?

Do more people watch Maywether fights hoping to see him get his shit knocked in or because of his technical style of fighting? I'm gonna say the common man tunes in for the former reason.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
He'll do fucking nothing to Conor the greatest fighter to walk planet earteh.

I'll give him two rounds before Conor puts his old ass out.

Magus1234

When did you start watching Floyd? The problem is by the time he got mainstream famous he was already an older accomplished future HOF'er veteran fighting in his 4th or 5th highest weight division and was slowly declining from his physical peak of his prime despite being fresh for a fighter his age.

Most people didn't start watching him till his De La Hoya fight at Jr. Middle Weight.

I say that to say Floyd was one of the most skillful and exciting fighters coming up but by the time he reached Welterweight his power leveled off, and his brittle hands caused him to be more economical with his punches, and he fought smarter in order to extend his career and maximize his chances of winning.

Memory fails me but I think it all started with the Castillo fight, which (lets be honest here) he should of lost. Even then, his tenacity during that fight was amazing. Watching his whole career was really something special, I didn't get to watch James Toney's career in full, who is my favorite boxer, but watching Floyd really reminded me of how amazing defense can win fights.

highrider

Banned
Get ready for the people who know nothing about boxing to troll him.

I actually think the sweet science experts are more the norm in Floyd threads. He's a great defensive fighter, he had offensive threats earlier in his career, definitely one of the greats. But is it really that hard to understand where a casual fan would be bored by his style?

Poppy

oh i totally get that its probably super boring, i just felt like some of the earlier responses were actually mad at him or something (for the strategy as opposed to him being a shit person)

its like i sometimes watch mma and think fighters that always take it to the ground are boring, but heck whatever man. beating each other up for money is quite a thing

I actually think the sweet science experts are more the norm in Floyd threads. He's a great defensive fighter, he had offensive threats earlier in his career, definitely one of the greats. But is it really that hard to understand where a casual fan would be bored by his style?

I don't even think it's his style, I think it's the fact he dominates and neutralizes his opponents but doesn't have the power at Welterweight and above to seriously hurt them yet alone knock them out so the drama is sapped out of the fight and everybody is merely waiting for the unanimous decision to read. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom