• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Floyd Mayweather's final opponent offers epic insight into what its like to face him

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only negative thing I can say about Mayweather as a boxer is that Castillo probably beat him in their first fight. I know it's about winning rounds, not landing punches, but the stats alone tell an intriguing story.

http://boxrec.com/media/index.php/Jose_Luis_Castillo_vs._Floyd_Mayweather_Jr._(1st_meeting)

It was a close debatable fight that the judges awarded to Mayweather, but over time has turned to a definite loss due to Mayweather being undefeated and people disliking and trying to discredit him. Nevermind there was no controversy at all over who won the night of the fight or that Mayweather immediately rematched him in order to quell the indecisive nature of their first fight.

Sianos

23vl4ivjpg.gif

pretty.gif

mayweather-vs-gatti.gif

mayweather-rd-7.gif

Master class.

The spacing and footwork! It's beautiful and so, so decisive!

In my opinion technical fights are the most exciting - it's boring to watch someone get railroaded.

Lol Berto fucking sucks. Absolutely no one rated him when they fought. Berto is a bum who fought little guys his whole career. And got a gift decision against collazo the first time he fought decent opposition and then got his ass handed to him by every decent welter not that he even dared to fight a top young welter.

Floyd is great but GOAT, lmao!!!! Cheating, clinging, elbowing, juicing, bending below the waste, retiring 3 times when Cotto and Pacquiao spooked him.

Floyd is a coward and is overrated. Maybe prime Floyd, but he cheery picked far too much. The greats weren't such pussies.

Margarito, Paul Willisms, Amir Khan, prime Pacquiao and prime Cotto, all stood a good chance of winning.

Mesousa

Banned
Lol Berto fucking sucks. Absolutely no one rated him when they fought. Berto is a bum who fought little guys his whole career. And got a gift decision against collazo the first time he fought decent opposition and then got his ass handed to him by every decent welter not that he even dared to fight a top young welter.

Floyd is great but GOAT, lmao!!!! Cheating, clinging, elbowing, juicing, bending below the waste, retiring 3 times when Cotto and Pacquiao spooked him.

Floyd is a coward and is overrated. Maybe prime Floyd, but he cheery picked far too much. The greats weren't such pussies.

Margarito, Paul Willisms, Amir Khan, prime Pacquiao and prime Cotto, all stood a good chance of winning.

Come on son. Amir Khan? lol

Come on son. Amir Khan? lol

Styles make fights and tons of experts and tons of professional boxers have Amir Khan the best shot out of any boxers at welter to beat Floyd.

I mean there's a reason Floyd signed a contract to fight Khan twice only to change his mind. It's just a known and open fact Floyd ducked Khan to fight the bum Berto.

No one has ever come close to outboxing Khan. Khan wouldve troubled him, that's why Floyd ducked him.

Khan also schooled the person Floyd said was his heir, Devon Alexander, after which fight Floyd's own father told Khan he could beat Floyd. Styles make fights.

Styles make fights and tons of experts and tons of professional boxers have Amir Khan the best shot out of any boxers at welter to beat Floyd.

I mean there's a reason Floyd signed a contract to fight Khan twice only to change his mind. It's just a known and open fact Floyd ducked Khan to fight the bum Berto.

No one has ever come close to outboxing Khan. Khan wouldve troubled him, that's why Floyd ducked him.

C'mon son. I'm a hardcore boxing fan and that's just not true. It's true Khan would've been a much more interesting fight than Berto, but nobody believes Mayweather ducked him after fighting Pacquiao. Khan had no chance.

C'mon son. I'm a hardcore boxing fan and that's just not true. It's true Khan would've been a much more interesting fight than Berto, but nobody believes Mayweather ducked him after fighting Pacquiao. Khan had no chance.

Come on son follow the sport. Sorry but youre quite wrong. Yes Floyd choose an easier opponent for less money against an opponent no one wanted to see, after pretending he was just about to fight Khan.

Not more interesting, more difficult for Floyd. It's the literal definition of ducking a fighter. The thing Floyd did his whole career. Berto is garbage, and can't box and doesn't have a jab. Khan wouldve been waaaaaay tougher, it's not even a comparison.

Funny how for someone who stood no chance Floyd would leave millions of dollars on the table. Floyd did that to keep a perfect record.

Again son, that's like the literal definition of ducking.

Come on son follow the sport. Sorry but youre quite wrong. Yes Floyd choose an easier opponent for less money against an opponent no one wanted to see, after pretending he was just about to fight Khan.

Not more interesting, more difficult for Floyd. It's the literal definition of ducking a fighter. The thing Floyd did his whole career.

Funny how for someone who stood no chance Floyd would leave millions of dollars on the table. Floyd did that to keep a perfect record.

Again son, that's like the literal definition of ducking.

LMAO Yes, Floyd fought a top P4P, all time great, future hall of famer, legacy defining fight in the biggest PPV of all time, only so he could duck the Great Glass Jaw Amir Khan. Do you know how silly you sound saying that?

Mayweather was guaranteed a purse of 32 million regardless of PPV buys and after making over 200 million in the fight before, I don't think he was worried about making more money and simply wanted to finish up his career and contract.

Ploid 3.0

Conor is gonna get absolutely mauled:(

Because of this thread I've been looking at Mayweather vs Conor promo videos. How will this fight work? Conor doesn't seem like a Boxer, so he would be at a disadvantage in boxing rules it seem, and Mayweather would be at a disadvantage in MMA rules it seem. Can Conor kick for boxing rules or something?

The most I know about MMA and Boxing is EA games, but it's been so long since I've played those competitively, and the last fight I watched was a Tyson fight a long time ago.

Khan also schooled the person Floyd said was his heir, Devon Alexander, after which fight Floyd's own father told Khan he could beat Floyd. Styles make fights.

So much wrong in this post, goodness...

Boxing is one of my favorite things in the world and boxing communities are my go-to after GAF - it is absolutely fucking not a "known and open fact" that Floyd ducked Khan. I'm nowhere near a Floyd stan and that's still the silliest shit I've heard in a hot minute. What nonsense.

You know what is a "known and open fact"? That Khan spent years practically begging the Mayweather camp for a fight and talking mountains of shit about how he was next in line to take a shot at the throne. Floyd doesn't fuck with dudes who think they're entitled to the pay day. Khan fucked up by acting like it was a forgone conclusion - tell Floyd to zig and he'll zag. The guy got to where he is now by controlling everything about his career. He wasn't going to let Khan tell him that he was next.

CrocoDuck

I wish he had been around in the 80's, so many interesting potential match ups.

Would have loved to see him fight a prime Duran at lightweight. I doubt he would would beat any of the big 4, though. The toughest fighter that would give him nightmares is Hearns, due to his long reach and he's freakishly tall figure.

Boxing is one of my favorite things in the world and boxing communities are my go-to after GAF - it is absolutely fucking not a "known and open fact" that Floyd ducked Khan. I'm nowhere near a Floyd stan and that's still the silliest shit I've heard in a hot minute. What nonsense.

You know what is a "known and open fact"? That Khan spent years practically begging the Mayweather camp for a fight and talking mountains of shit about how he was next in line to take a shot at the throne. Floyd doesn't fuck with dudes who think they're entitled to the pay day. Khan fucked up by acting like it was a forgone conclusion - tell Floyd to zig and he'll zag. The guy got to where he is now by controlling everything about his career.

Plus, I can't remember the interviews now I watched, but I remember part of the reason he gave the fight to Berto was to help another brother out by putting him in a high profile fight where he could get nice paycheck on his way out to retirement.

highrider

Banned
He beats women and doesn't apologize for it.

Anyone who admires him should honestly be ashamed of themselves. One of the most deplorable sports celebrities in history.

Floyd is a piece of shit as a person, but really once you start taking that level of moral high ground you might as well not follow any form of popular entertainment. Phil Spector had a hand in some of the best records ever made, should I feel ashamed of thinking Sgt. Pepper's is a great work of pop music?

Squalor

Floyd is a piece of shit as a person, but really once you start taking that level of moral high ground you might as well not follow any form of popular entertainment. Phil Spector had a hand in some of the best records ever made, should I feel ashamed of thinking Sgt. Pepper's is a great work of pop music?
John Lenon beat women, too. Great analogy, actually.

Fuck him and them and Floyd.

The discussion wasn't "Is Floyd a great boxer?" It was about how one poster was ignorant enough to wonder why he had haters.

The discussion wasn't "Is Floyd a great boxer?" It was about how one poster was ignorant enough to wonder why he had haters.

There's a difference in hating him and his career due to his accomplishments, fame, and money and trying to diminish or belittle them, and hating him due to his past domestic violence issues.

Chumley

Banned

It wasn't about that, it was about the man himself having haters.

If you think the boxing talent at display when he's in the ring is great, that's fine, but I think it's important to make the distinction between that and the man himself. Very important, actually, because celebrities with less success in other industries would have never been able to overcome the shit he's done and his public attitude towards it.

There's a difference in hating him and his career due to his accomplishments, fame, and money and trying to diminish or belittle them, and hating him due to his past domestic violence issues.

He has almost said word for word that his accomplishments make his domestic violence record irrelevant, so I totally disagree with what you're saying here.

Squalor

Yes, there is.

But the onus to be clear about that lies upon the person who is defending the abuser.

Making one's case with a GIF from a satirical animated series is pretty poor.

highrider

Banned

The ' haters' in this thread actually aren't taking issue with his personal life, they think he's an overrated boxer, and aside from a few odd posts that's all the discussion has been about. I don't think anyone would argue that he's some great guy that's misunderstood as a person. It's a boxing discussion.

If you think the boxing talent at display when he's in the ring is great, that's fine, but I think it's important to make the distinction between that and the man himself. Very important, actually, because celebrities with less success in other industries would have never been able to overcome the shit he's done and his public attitude towards it.

You mean somebody who beats people up for a living aren't held to same standards as everybody else? Shocker.

highrider

Banned

I agree, but to me that's self evident, and it's not really up to you to police that. The people that are disparaging him in the thread are talking about his style as a fighter.

Squalor

You mean somebody who beats people up for a living aren't held to same standards as everybody else? Shocker.
Actually, no. Not only is your point fallacious, it's wrong.

There is a huge problem with domestic abuse in this country that too often favors the abuser. And if one is famous/a person of importance/a person of monetary value like Mayweather or Chris Brown or Josh Brown, it's much easier to shirk the consequences of one's actions.
The ' haters' in this thread actually aren't taking issue with his personal life, they think he's an overrated boxer, and aside from a few odd posts that's all the discussion has been about. I don't think anyone would argue that he's some great guy that's misunderstood as a person. It's a boxing discussion.
As I said, the people who are choosing to defend an abuser bear the responsibility for making themselves clear.

The attitude has been flippant.

Chumley

Banned
I agree, but to me that's self evident, and it's not really up to you to police that. The people that are disparaging him in the thread are talking about his style as a fighter.

I'm not really trying to police anything, I'm saying people are entirely justified in hating him and even hating his fighting style if they're looking at everything he does through the lens of a domestic abuser who doesn't apologize for it and has even implied he's justified because he's so rich and famous.

People bring personal history to people like this guy and I'd never, ever say they're wrong to do so. All Floyd would have to do to is admit he did what he did and apologize, and I think a lot of these people (like me) might not get so pissed off whenever people talk about how amazing he is. Even if what he's amazing at is technically unrelated.

There is a huge problem with domestic abuse in this country that too often favors the abuser. And if one is famous/a person of importance/a person of monetary value like Mayweather or Chris Brown or Josh Brown, it's much easier to shirk the consequences of one's actions.

As I said, the people who are choosing to defend an abuser bear the responsibility for making themselves clear.

Nobody's questioning that and you've completely missed my point on why a Boxer wasn't held to the same standard as somebody else famous in another industry.

I don't think anybody in this thread condone's domestic violence yet alone Floyd committing the act.

He made "gaming the system" an art form. When he goes into the ring with a "fighter" looking to knock him out, you're watching two people with completely different objectives. One is looking to exploit the rules to be awarded a win by the judges, and the other wants to fight.

This is why so many people including myself can't stand Floyd. He wins on the letter of the law, not the spirit.

This is wrong on so many levels but u said your a hater so I won't sway your opinion. Floyd was a knockout artist early in his career until his hands got bad. Multiple fractures and breaks this is a fact. His uncle and his dad also had fragile hands. He changed his game to a more defensive style mastering the shoulder roll. He didn't run around the ring as some ppl want to say. He stands in the middle of the ring the majority of the time and "uses" the ring when he can.

Just because he doesn't stand there and exchange blows while head to head with a dude does not make him a boring fighter. He is a boxer and master class at it. It's the other fighters responsibility to cut off the ring and bring the fight to FM. His opponents watched him dozens of times before they step into the ring with him. Why should FM be called out on how the fights outcome seems to casual fans like u?

highrider

Banned

I'll be honest, when someone really capes up for the guy I tend to think they probably don't care about abuse of women, but that's not a fair assumption on my part, and I'm not really seeing that here in this thread.

I'm not really trying to police anything, I'm saying people are entirely justified in hating him and even hating his fighting style if they're looking at everything he does through the lens of a domestic abuser who doesn't apologize for it and has even implied he's justified because he's so rich and famous.

People bring personal history to people like this guy and I'd never, ever say they're wrong to do so. All Floyd would have to do to is admit he did what he did and apologize, and I think a lot of these people (like me) might not get so pissed off whenever people talk about how amazing he is. Even if what he's amazing at is technically unrelated.

That I can understand, and I'm sure it's part of the reason I don't like him as a fighter, because I can't stand him as a person. I appreciate you clarifying what you meant for me.

who would win in a clinching fight between Mayweather and Klitschko?

False Equivalency. It's hilarious how some of ya'll are trying to paint Mayweather clinches anywhere close to Klitschko is embarrasing.

Not to mention Klitschko is typically the bigger, stronger, faster, harder puncher, and more technically skilled fighter in damn near all of his fights while Floyd fights fighters bigger, stronger, and harder punchers all the time.

outsida

When did you start watching Floyd? The problem is by the time he got mainstream famous he was already an older accomplished future HOF'er veteran fighting in his 4th or 5th highest weight division and was slowly declining from his physical peak of his prime despite being fresh for a fighter his age.

Most people didn't start watching him till his De La Hoya fight at Jr. Middle Weight.

I say that to say Floyd was one of the most skillful and exciting fighters coming up but by the time he reached Welterweight his power leveled off, and his brittle hands caused him to be more economical with his punches, and he fought smarter in order to extend his career and maximize his chances of winning.

I try and explain this to people all the time.

Anyone who admires him should honestly be ashamed of themselves. One of the most deplorable sports celebrities in history.

Has nothing to do with admiring his in ring accomplishments.

Wait someone in here is calling Floyd a cheat and in the same post says Margarito would have beat him in his prime. Boy that's rich.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Or, you know, you beat up women.

Floyd's a piece of shit I won't argue that at all however no one was talking about his life outside the ring. I don't think anyone even mentioned it a single time in this thread and my post was a joke based on the fact some people were not happy with how Floyd has gotten to his unbeaten record in the last decade or so. I feel like this is a topic for another thread though as this one is purely about the sport of boxing.

outsida

Yeah, it's just nobody expected him to become as big as he became, especially Larry Merchant. LOL

Best I can do is explain to folks that Floyd basically has had two careers. One where he was more offensive beating the crap out of people with other people constantly ducking him. Then a second one as a more defensive fighter that could sit back and afford to pick and choose who he fought.

Best I can do is explain to folks that Floyd basically has had two careers. One where he was more offensive beating the crap out of people with other people constantly ducking him. Then a second one as a more defensive fighter that could sit back and afford to pick and choose who he fought.

That's actually a pretty accurate description.

EVOL 100%

Wait is Conor actually fighting him

What are the odds of Conor getting his ass beat so hard he gets pissed off and throws a roundhouse kick knocking out Floyd

Clockwork5

He made "gaming the system" an art form. When he goes into the ring with a "fighter" looking to knock him out, you're watching two people with completely different objectives. One is looking to exploit the rules to be awarded a win by the judges, and the other wants to fight.

This is why so many people including myself can't stand Floyd. He wins on the letter of the law, not the spirit.

It's called boxing, not fighting. You don't exploit the rules, you follow the rules. You don't fight your opponent, you box your opponent. Floyd is an amazing boxer.
What are the odds of Conor getting his ass beat so hard he gets pissed off and throws a roundhouse kick knocking out Floyd

Zero, Floyd would dodge a roundhouse kick with ease.

Apdiddy

So just get rid of the judges in boxing. They fight until someone is KO'ed, TKO'ed or the match ends and it's a draw. Problem solved?

Would have loved to see him fight a prime Duran at lightweight. I doubt he would would beat any of the big 4, though. The toughest fighter that would give him nightmares is Hearns, due to his long reach and he's freakishly tall figure.

I think Tommy would take Floyd. Technical boxers rarely bothered Hearns, as he was a very good technician himself, and used his size and reach to control the space very intelligently. It was guys who would get physical and aggressive, like Hagler, Leonard late in their first fight,Barkley, who got to Tommy.

Floyd's great defensive skills would minimize damage and avoid getting vaporized by the right hand, but I don't see him being able to overcome the reach to land counters enough to outpoint Hearns.

BadAss2961

lol @ Floyd ducking Khan in 2015.

Floyd might have done some cherry picking throughout his career, but so have most other top draws to an extent. I gave him props for taking on unbeaten Canelo in his physical prime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom