• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Manager 2012 |OT| Of why the heck is this so popular?

Discovered a goal scoring machine in the PSP version:

Er9GG.jpg

The best 200k I've ever spent, he's now worth £9.7m
bQDB4.gif

ScxOi.jpg

Won the Premier League and FA Cup in my sixth season. The PSP version is just too easy once your players reach 3 and 4 star quality :(

QtQTQ.jpg

He's now valued at £39m after bagging me 56 goals. Does anybody have this player in the PC version? Is he shit or godlike?

Nyx

PC version seems to be too easy as well.

Read a lot of comments about it, and notice it myself now as well.

I played FM11 for over 700 hours.

I am not going to buy this.

Not yet, anyway.

Honest.

Edit:

fanboi said:
Also, is it as buggy as it usualy is?
I've heard this year's version is pretty solid, though they did have a problem out of the gate where you couldn't train goalkeepers' positioning, so it was steadily plummeting for every GK in the game. They already fixed that, though; one of the advantages with the Steam exclusivity is how quick they can roll out mini-patches.

But yeah, one of the reasons to hold off is the game will be better and more stable by the time they get it to v12.3.

Shake Appeal said:
I played FM11 for over 700 hours.

I am not going to buy this.

Not yet, anyway.

Honest.

L0F5F.jpg

R0ID5.png
R0ID5.png
R0ID5.png

Nyx said:
PC version seems to be too easy as well.

Read a lot of comments about it, and notice it myself now as well.

Yup. The game is polished and well made, it's just way too easy. :/

Kabouter

WoodenLung said:
http://i.imgur.com/L0F5F.jpg[IMG]/[/QUOTE]
Either you leave it idling a lot, or you must be getting around to your sixth season or something :D.

Also, game is not too easy! I won the Eredivisie with Heracles because of my skills damnit! [spoiler]Okay, beating Feyenoord 6-1 in the opening game of the season was ridiculous[/spoiler]

If you're finding it too easy then play Network with someone else. I'm 99% sure the game increases in difficulty when you play that way.

That would be so painstakingly slow, though. I'll just continue my current thing of holidaying for a year and taking charge of a previously non-playable team that's just been promoted from Serie D.

Kabouter said:
Either you leave it idling a lot, or you must be getting around to your sixth season or something :D.

Think I have played about five seasons now spread over different saves, but yes I have it idling a lot or well just driving in the background/on other screen. It's really the perfect game for multitasking, I will watch tv shows, post on GAF or whatever while playing, it's a bad habit of always having it open so even on the train on my way to school I will catch about 40 min of FM, perfect start to the day. :p

hmm, the last season was a lot closer:

OLf8r.jpg

lol, the strike rate of this player is ridiculous. He would have got 80+ goals had he not been out injured for a month. I also won the Champions League with a 2-0 extra time win over Inter, and picked up a 32-year old Wayne Rooney on a free transfer from Man Utd.

bolbronx

What was you guys first manager-casualty in your games?

In my game it was Steve Kean, quickly followed by Steve Bruce.

When the Sunderland position opened up, it was swiftly filled by Mick McCarthy, who left behind a seat filled by Mike Phelan.
All within a matter of a few days.

The Blackburn hot-seat was taken by Zvonimir Soldo btw

I am!

Chelsea in my third season.

First season I won the CL and Premiership.

Second season I won fuck all, Arsenal won the title with a 92nd minute goal.

Third season, I now have a strike force of:

Mata, Jovetic, Aguero (£39m release clause at City), Torres, Lukaku, Sturridge and.. Rooney! (£32m from United who finished 8th second season and sacked Fergie)

Im currently 6th, 2 points off Liverpool at the top who I just beat 2-1.

My squad: Gks - Cech, Courtois
Defenders: Cole, Terry, Kjaer, Sakho, Cahill, Sulley (17 year old DC regen who is going to 3.5*), Maicon, Van Der Wiel, Aly Cissokho

Midfielders: Rodwell, Barkley, McEachran, Douglas Costa, Lampard, Kagawa, Ganso

And the strikers I mentioned above.

Playing a 4-3-3 and my squad is huge haha. Shifted a lot of players over the summer, Ivanovic, Meireles, Kalou, Luiz etc and my rebuild isn't going so well, we should be top but concede too many the idiots.

Nyx

Hmm, champions with FC Utrecht in season 2.

This never happened in any previous CM/FM , usually it took me at least 5 seasons to become champions.

loZDU.jpg

IU78F.jpg

Venfayth

Shouldn't this be called soccer manager??

edit: Sorry :p I made this comment more out of satirism than out of an effort to troll, but it was in bad taste regardless, I probably shouldn't be posting immediately when I wake up.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Shouldn't this be called soccer manager??

Grah, not this again.

Anyway, question:

Does anyone know with which training routine I can train Aerial Ability? (Goalkeeper obviously).

Dragon

Banned
Man that UI looks tough...I have a friend at work that has played these games for 200 hours and shows no signs of stopping.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I started with Chemnitz from german 3rd division. Its very easy to get cheap prospects in this game. So while I was doomed to RELEGATE from 3rd division in my first year, I got promoted and managed to secure a midfield spot in my first season in league 2.
Currently playing season 3 and after 12 games I am only 2 spots behind the 2nd in league 2 :)

My youth players have super awesome stats, they should be winning way more often than they actually do. Maybe missing a bit experience.

Does anyone know with which training routine I can train Aerial Ability? (Goalkeeper obviously).

Just for the sake of having my question in a more meaningful post.

Meier

It feels like the regens that are 4*, let alone 4.5, are much more prevalent this year. I played Porto in 2011 so I picked them as my main side again this year. I am "only" at about 70 hours so far. FM11 devoured my soul after snagging it during the Steam sale this summer so I had to buy this at launch to support the devs of nothing else.

I have not yet found a Khouma Babacar yet this year although Leandro is pretty special. I'm not sure why Khouma fell out of favor with the SI - he's not in the base player list even with a Medium size DB. Suprised that Thorgan Hazard is not as well (let alone the youngest Hazard who is 15 now I believe).

As far as Strikers go, I bought Kadlec for $15 million at $50k per week in my 3rd season. Also, although he is only a 3.5 star, Yannis Tafer has been huge for me when I do a vacation day and let the computer play as him. He is a scoring machine.

James Rodriguez is finally having a great season as well for me at the CAM position. I've sold off most all of the original Porto guys but him. Hulk's value has doubled while at Juventus..can't wait for the 50% sell-on clause to kick in.

Toma

It feels like the regens that are 4*, let alone 4.5, are much more prevalent this year. I played Porto in 2011 so I picked them as my main side again this year. I am "only" at about 70 hours so far. FM11 devoured my soul after snagging it during the Steam sale this summer so I had to buy this at launch to support the devs of nothing else.

I have not yet found a Khouma Babacar yet this year although Leandro is pretty special. I'm not sure why Khouma fell out of favor with the SI - he's not in the base player list even with a Medium size DB. Suprised that Thorgan Hazard is not as well (let alone the youngest Hazard who is 15 now I believe).

As far as Strikers go, I bought Kadlec for $15 million at $50k per week in my 3rd season. Also, although he is only a 3.5 star, Yannis Tafer has been huge for me when I do a vacation day and let the computer play as him. He is a scoring machine.

James Rodriguez is finally having a great season as well for me at the CAM position. I've sold off most all of the original Porto guys but him. Hulk's value has doubled while at Juventus..can't wait for the 50% sell-on clause to kick in.
50k per week... Insaaaane. i am in league 2 in germany and my whole team costs 44k/week.

Toma

I want to roast my board. My team got bought by Theo Zwanziger and I thought he might be a nice guy to have. Not so anymore when he is trying to sell my best player against my will. FURIOUS.

Meier

50k per week... Insaaaane. i am in league 2 in germany and my whole team costs 44k/week.

You are in for a surprise once you finally move your way up! Some of the salaries get to be pretty insane. After an extensive, and I do mean extensive, back and forth -- I bought the German keeper Marc-Andre ter Stegen for a relatively decent price (I feel like it was around $12 million.. pretty cheap) but he wanted an absolutely insane wage. Something like $22k per shutout and a solid $3-4 million loyalty and agent fee. Needless to say, I did not sign him.

Kabouter

You are in for a surprise once you finally move your way up! Some of the salaries get to be pretty insane. After an extensive, and I do mean extensive, back and forth -- I bought the German keeper Marc-Andre ter Stegen for a relatively decent price (I feel like it was around $12 million.. pretty cheap) but he wanted an absolutely insane wage. Something like $22k per shutout and a solid $3-4 million loyalty and agent fee. Needless to say, I did not sign him.

What, really? I got the same GK (in the 2013-2014 season), I pay him about €90k/month with about 9k per clean sheet. I was able to get him transfer free, probably got lucky because M'gladbach got relegated. Pretty awesome GK so far though.

Meier

What, really? I got the same GK (in the 2013-2014 season), I pay him about €90k/month with about 9k per clean sheet. I was able to get him transfer free, probably got lucky because M'gladbach got relegated. Pretty awesome GK so far though.

I'll have to see if he doesn't re-sign with his club then and maybe swoop in and get him on a free. Last year, I signed Vincent Enyeama and kept him on for a solid 5 seasons at least while nurturing some youngsters but this year I brought on Luis Guilherme almost right away and have kept Helton around to do some tutoring (although who knows how beneficial this is really).

I probably should try and play in Euros or Pounds but I just don't get the same feel for the valuation when it isn't in USD.

Meier

Curious, does anyone who manages a big club ever make a profit during months without competition winnings? Even in my 2011 save where I'd won the Euros 4 years running with Porto, I was still losing $2-$3 million per month but obviously would end up in the plus at the end of the year. It seems like I'm getting more sponsorships in 2012 but the difference is pretty negligible -- still constantly in the red during the season.

I look at the screenshots of graphs and spreadsheets and instinctively think, "Who in their right mind wants to play this crap?" then I realize that I play Europa Universalis. Touche, footballers.

Kabouter

I look at the screenshots of graphs and spreadsheets and instinctively think, "Who in their right mind wants to play this crap?" then I realize that I play Europa Universalis. Touche, footballers.

I play both, and I think for similar reasons. They are some of very few games that actually give you an opportunity to build something in the long term. In most games that feature building, you're really building towards a short term objective (winning a map), but you have to take a much more long term approach in games like these.

For me, there is as much satisfaction in making Ulm a world power in EU3 as there is in making Heracles Almelo a consistent top 8 finisher in the Champions League

Curious, does anyone who manages a big club ever make a profit during months without competition winnings? Even in my 2011 save where I'd won the Euros 4 years running with Porto, I was still losing $2-$3 million per month but obviously would end up in the plus at the end of the year. It seems like I'm getting more sponsorships in 2012 but the difference is pretty negligible -- still constantly in the red during the season.

When you buy players do I put them on for like 12-48 month instalments? And do you spend a lot of money on them?

Im probably in the red because I spend £30m on players all the time over 48 months haha, for example I bought Ganso first season for £25m and I'm still paying for him at the start of my forth which is £475k a month, Rooney I owe Man Utd £675k per month and the list goes on (I have 14 players a month who I am still paying for and only 4 that I'm getting money for).

I play both, and I think for similar reasons. They are some of very few games that actually give you an opportunity to build something in the long term. In most games that feature building, you're really building towards a short term objective (winning a map), but you have to take a much more long term approach in games like these.

For me, there is as much satisfaction in making Ulm a world power in EU3 as there is in making Heracles Almelo a consistent top 8 finisher in the Champions League

Ya, and I think that is why I always click on the links for these threads and consider buying the games on Steam sale, but then I never actually go through with it because I don't know the first thing about football, aside from: Kick ball in net, relish in victory.

I guess I didn't know much about leading the Teutonic Order to five hundred years of thorough world domination until I played EU3 though...

Kabouter

Ya, and I think that is why I always click on the links for these threads and consider buying the games on Steam sale, but then I never actually go through with it because I don't know the first thing about football, aside from: Kick ball in net, relish in victory.

I guess I didn't know much about leading the Teutonic Order to five hundred years of thorough world domination until I played EU3 though...

Yeah, I would say that you need to at least have an interest in football to like FM, if you don't, probably best to look elsewhere.

Yeah, I would say that you need to at least have an interest in football to like FM, if you don't, probably best to look elsewhere.

I have an interest, I think I understated my knowledge. But I don't know anything about the game besides what happens on the pitch--and even there, I don't know about formation--just about the basics (forwards, defense, etc.). I think I will continue to pass until there is something inexpensive and iOS that I can dip into.

Meier

When you buy players do I put them on for like 12-48 month instalments? And do you spend a lot of money on them?

Im probably in the red because I spend £30m on players all the time over 48 months haha, for example I bought Ganso first season for £25m and I'm still paying for him at the start of my forth which is £475k a month, Rooney I owe Man Utd £675k per month and the list goes on (I have 14 players a month who I am still paying for and only 4 that I'm getting money for).

I usually buy players outright if I can afford it... I have more fun buying young guys and developing them, so half the time I'm snagging youngsters by approaching them to sign and then paying a few million to their former club.

I am not sure if it would be different with a separate club, but as is, I never seem to make a profit from standard cost versus income. My board never lets me build a new stadium either although I believe I read on a board last year that in 2023 or so, Porto's board let someone build a new one finally, lol.

I'm a player/manager for Zenit in FIFA 2012.. some day I may try my hand with them on FM as well.

Meier

I have an interest, I think I understated my knowledge. But I don't know anything about the game besides what happens on the pitch--and even there, I don't know about formation--just about the basics (forwards, defense, etc.). I think I will continue to pass until there is something inexpensive and iOS that I can dip into.

I would recommend you give it a shot if it goes on sale or even just buy FM11 which should be pretty cheap on Steam or Amazon, etc. The interface was actually made a bit more complex in FM12 so 11 is probably a better starting point anyway.

I think there is an iOS version.. but it was around $10-$20 or something I believe.

Meier

On sale on Steam right now for $29.99! May go down with the Daily Deal, but if you're interested, this weekend is the time to grab it!

Football Manager 2011 is also on sale for $9.99 so if you want to dip your toe in the water, this is the place to start.

Meier

Barca has a regen who is a Central Defender / Striker (apparently equally as suited for it even). I've honestly never seen that happen in the game. I am pretty curious just to see how he'll turn out so I think I'll try and buy him even though I am stacked with young talent at both positions.

Bumhead

Banned
One thing I've noticed about this years game is that it seems alot easier to tie players down on cheaper contracts. I'm finding the game generally responds better to negotiated and structured contracts and transfer fee's than before, but it almost seems too easy to get success without paying the odds for it.

I'm winning the Premiership at the moment without a single player earning more than £40k a week, and according to the stats chart that pops up during loading sometimes I'm not even in the top half for overall annual salary. Seems that as long as you're prepared to fork out in agents fee's and other bonuses you can maintain a good team on a relative budget..

I'm not complaining as such, but it does feel a little balanced on the easy side of things..

Meier

I have most of my guys on their first contracts still so I can't comment necessarily.. one thing I've noticed though is that at least in my save, gaining the manager of the month is VERY difficult now for some reason. I think if you set the AM to do pep talks, match prep, etc. then you must essentially get severely penalized cause I ain't winning shit.

The other thing I've noticed is that young players are less willing to sign cheap and even if they do, they're wanting bigger per match bonuses this year. I usually could get a guy for $3-$4k per week and maybe $1.5k bonus per match but these fuckers all want $4-5k per match right off the bat even as youth players I'm buying.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I just got promoted to the PL and I can't sign any decent players because of board restrictions on wages. How do I get rid of that? I'm under 100k from my max. They won't let me offer any wages above 22K/week, which is a joke.

Nyx

I just got promoted to the PL and I can't sign any decent players because of board restrictions on wages. How do I get rid of that? I'm under 100k from my max. They won't let me offer any wages above 22K/week, which is a joke.

What role do you give the new player ? If you set it to ''Key Player'' you should be able to give more wages than if you would sign a ''backup'' f.e.

If this does not work, did you try a board request yet ?

Arsenal got a good beating in my fantastic least season.

usTkO.jpg

My squad that season

yUIsL.jpg

I ended up losing the last match of the season and Arsenal throwing away their draw against United in the last minutes
aPehY.jpg

My squad some matches into the new season, I just bought Oxlade-Chamberlain back to will join in january
Dm9Ua.jpg

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
What role do you give the new player ? If you set it to ''Key Player'' you should be able to give more wages than if you would sign a ''backup'' f.e.

If this does not work, did you try a board request yet ?

Requesting the wage bill limit to be increased also allowed me to offer a higher amount to the players I was trying to sign.

Nyx

Finished season 3 last night.

ICTLq.jpg

QR5jW.jpg

pzVLC.jpg

Retained the championship in The Netherlands, yay!

In Europe I did pretty good as well, got a Champions League Group with Man United, Olympique Marseille and Borussia Dortmund, and finished 3rd. (won 1-0 vs Dortmund at home, and played 0-0 over there, lost the 4 games vs Man U and l’Om)

So I qualified for the first knockout-phase in the Europa League where I beat Bate Borisov. 2nd knockout phase was vs Metalist Kharkiv, also beat them twice and in the quarter finals I finally got sent home by Spanish Malaga CF. (1-4 at home, 2-2 away)

Pretty happy overall, next season I want to reach the CL knockout-phase and ofcourse be a title contender in The Netherlands again.

Top Bottom