• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Manager 2012 |OT| Of why the heck is this so popular?

Meier

I haven't downloaded any tactics in FM12 although I used someone's setup in FM11 (4-1-1-3-1) that worked pretty well. I've just been using a standard 4-4-2 and now recently a 4-3-3 and have had good success.

My biggest recommendation is to buy Luis Guilherme if you can (seems to fail work permits sadly) and Vaclav Kadlec. I waited a few years for Kadlec so I had to spend $20 million on him, but he's been the best buy of a real player that I've ever had. Even better than Khouma Babacar last year.

UV-6

I haven't downloaded any tactics in FM12 although I used someone's setup in FM11 (4-1-1-3-1) that worked pretty well. I've just been using a standard 4-4-2 and now recently a 4-3-3 and have had good success.

My biggest recommendation is to buy Luis Guilherme if you can (seems to fail work permits sadly) and Vaclav Kadlec. I waited a few years for Kadlec so I had to spend $20 million on him, but he's been the best buy of a real player that I've ever had. Even better than Khouma Babacar last year.
+1 for Kadlec

Guaranteed to score over 40 goals a season.

Meier

+1 for Kadlec

Guaranteed to score over 40 goals a season.

Here's my Kadlec stats:

2013-2014: 13 goals, 15 assists in 32(1)
2014-2015: 37 goals, 18 assists in 41(2) - World Team of the Year
2015-2016: 42 goals, 11 assists in 41(2) - World Team of the Year, Golden Boot Runner-Up
2016-2017: 53 goals, 12 assists in 52 - World Team of the Year substitute, Golden Boot
2017-2018: 37 goals, 14 assists in 49 - Golden Boot Runner-Up
2018-2019: 45 goals, 12 assists in 41 - World Team of the Year, Golden Boot
2019-2020: 20 goals, 19 assists in 26

247 goals, 101 assists in 282(5). Beastly is an understatement. :D

Oh wow, definitely buying him in to replace Zamora - Cisse plays amazing for me at QPR but Zamora doesn't really do much...

I'm fed up of pre-season stuff now though, I want the League to start! Need to really figure out tactics and formations though as I've just been sticking to a 4-4-2, will have to look at player position strengths or just try something radical half way through a match.

...We lost 2-0 to Lens :(

Meier

Oh wow, definitely buying him in to replace Zamora - Cisse plays amazing for me at QPR but Zamora doesn't really do much...

I'm fed up of pre-season stuff now though, I want the League to start! Need to really figure out tactics and formations though as I've just been sticking to a 4-4-2, will have to look at player position strengths or just try something radical half way through a match.

...We lost 2-0 to Lens :(

I personally just let my assistant handle friendlies as well as press conferences.

I personally just let my assistant handle friendlies as well as press conferences.

Yeah, the initial pre-season can get a bit tiresome as it's usually lower ranked teams and I'm nowhere near as invested as say, trying to win against Man Utd.

Erm, how do I ask the assistants to manage team selection/tactics? I'm not the best at that with QPR so I was hoping they'd be able to chip in but I can't find it anymore.

Meier

Yeah, the initial pre-season can get a bit tiresome as it's usually lower ranked teams and I'm nowhere near as invested as say, trying to win against Man Utd.

Erm, how do I ask the assistants to manage team selection/tactics? I'm not the best at that with QPR so I was hoping they'd be able to chip in but I can't find it anymore.

If you click your team name, there's a tab called Team Policy where you can give your assistant duties, set managers for the reserves and under-19 (or whatever) team and select scouts.

When you're at Team Selection, over on the right hand side by the little diagram, there's a "Selection" drop down where you can have a coach pick for you.

Total domination!

fmrrk43.jpg

Liverpool only got a sniff in because I had a firesale to get rid of the whiny cunt players who wanted more money. I then discovered the beast known as Marco Colombo who got me back on track, this past season I won every club trophy available with a penalty shootout victory against Roma :D

Have the devs mentioned anything about a possible PS Vita version? It would be amazing if they could get FM 2013 Handheld to be a perfect 1:1 copy of the PC version.

Lkr

i just got the game on sale today. i'm a casual soccer fan, but i need a bit of help getting into this game. for example, is there a way to go through matches without watching the entire thing?

i just got the game on sale today. i'm a casual soccer fan, but i need a bit of help getting into this game. for example, is there a way to go through matches without watching the entire thing?

Yeah, there are different settings to choose how much of the match you want to watch, for example you can watch the whole 90 minutes (albeit sped up quite a bit anyway) or just watch highlights such as goal incidents. You can change these settings in the middle of a match as well at any time.

Lkr

Yeah, there are different settings to choose how much of the match you want to watch, for example you can watch the whole 90 minutes (albeit sped up quite a bit anyway) or just watch highlights such as goal incidents. You can change these settings in the middle of a match as well at any time.

I was hoping there might be some sort of text sim like in Fifa when you sim a match, but I guess not. Going through these friendlies to start the season takes forever :(

I was hoping there might be some sort of text sim like in Fifa when you sim a match, but I guess not. Going through these friendlies to start the season takes forever :(

Do you mean commentary only? That's an option if you want, along with the 2d match engine as well. If your talking about skipping a match completely and just seeing the result then I think the only way is to go on holiday for a bit, leaving your assistant manager in charge (not that I'd recommend it for anything other than friendlies). You can pretty much ask your assistant to decide most options or tactics if you need help early on anyway.

I've not played the game for a few weeks now but my temptation is rising, even though it'll probably suck me in for the next couple of months...

Lkr

Do you mean commentary only? That's an option if you want, along with the 2d match engine as well. If your talking about skipping a match completely and just seeing the result then I think the only way is to go on holiday for a bit, leaving your assistant manager in charge (not that I'd recommend it for anything other than friendlies). You can pretty much ask your assistant to decide most options or tactics if you need help early on anyway.

I've not played the game for a few weeks now but my temptation is rising, even though it'll probably suck me in for the next couple of months...
I've had my assistants help me with lineups and what not tonight and it helped. I'll try commentary only tomorrow, but I fear I'll be sucked in for a while if I do that

Nyx

I've had my assistants help me with lineups and what not tonight and it helped. I'll try commentary only tomorrow, but I fear I'll be sucked in for a while if I do that

Somewhere in Team Settings or something like that you can set that your assistant takes control of friendlies.

Regarding normal games, I’d recommend key highlights without replays, and game speed to 50%-75% of the bar.
Then games go by a lot faster but you will still be able to see what your team is doing during goals.

Only text is also an option indeed.

You’ll get sucked in anyway btw. :D

WriterGK

I played this game 301 hours so far. I have unlocked 41 ouf of the possible 91 achievements so far. I started the game out with Aston Villa I think after that Chelsea for a long time and after that I made a new manager for myself and went on with Ac Milan. It went bad i was in 8th in my first season half way through when I resigned. Luckily I could join Valencia. There were like 12 matches left in the season and in the end I came in 6th in La Liga. But I did manage to make it to the semi finale of the Champions League but I was beated quite hars by Arsenal over 2 matches. The season after that my second with Valencia but my first one from the beginning with them I came in 4th on the final match day. Villareal had as many points as me but I beated them at home with 6-0 and away with 8-4 so that felt quite good. In the Spanish Cup I made it to the finale and losing that to Real Madrid.

Now I am in Februari 2014 in my third season with Valencia. Due to a bug I got in a Champions League poule with Barcelona, Besiktas and Leverkusen. And in another poule Real Madrid played Atletico Madrid. Really weird to have clubs from the same country play each other in the group fase of the tournament. I finish 3th in the group with 2 matches won 3 draws and 1 defeat. I had to win against Barcelona I did with a stunning 8-1!! 4 goals from Soldado and Besiktas had to beat Leverkusen in order for me to finish second. But they played 0-0.

valenciatransfershistor.png

valenciacfsadsquadplaye.png

In January I reset my Competition goal to ''a throw at the championship'' because I was in second.

Top Bottom