• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football/Soccer is the worst sport to watch

GHG

Gold Member
It's part of the entertainment/shithousery.

tenor.gif

jonnyp

I’m at an airport bar/restaurant watching ESP vs FRA. In the 10ish minutes I’ve tuned in I’ve seen 6+ times some asshole falls on the ground to pretend his entire leg is busted, then proceeds to get up and play fine.

New rule: you go down to pretend you’re hurt then you’re forced off the field for 15 minutes minimum. Fuck around and find out.

These dudes barely get grazed and go do cartwheels into a Peter Griffin knee hold.

Idk how anyone can watch this.

Our deepest condolences

Spyxos

Gold Member
I’m at an airport bar/restaurant watching ESP vs FRA. In the 10ish minutes I’ve tuned in I’ve seen 6+ times some asshole falls on the ground to pretend his entire leg is busted, then proceeds to get up and play fine.

New rule: you go down to pretend you’re hurt then you’re forced off the field for 15 minutes minimum. Fuck around and find out.

These dudes barely get grazed and go do cartwheels into a Peter Griffin knee hold.

Nah i would say it is american football, I very rarely watch sports games, but the amount of commercials was just unbearable. They run 2 steps and there is advertising again. And it never ends. At least the soccer games run for 45 minutes without interruption.

Paasei

Football is a fun sport (stop calling it soccer). I do agree there's too many ways/rules where a good paced match is halted. Any type of foul or player swap should stop the time until it's done/dealth with.
If it's too hard/rough to play for 45min, make it 30min per half. No more referee talking unless you're the captain is a nicely introduced rule on this UEFA cup, although not yet completely followed.

Also depends on what country or team your watching. Southern European countries and South American countries always play dirty to win by enforcing fouls or any other type of bullshit to waste your time. Shame, because they usually also posess a lot of skill.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Football's nice to go to the bar and getting drunk while watching a match, but I'll never see myself doing that alone at home.

Overall I'd rather watch a tennis or basketball match.

Ha that was a fantastic match (diving does suck though I agree)

All sports can be good or shit (aside from ones that cater too hard for advertising breaks). I've been on the edge of my seat watching lawn bowls, or doom scrolling within 5 minutes of watching football (yes I'm looking at you England, the football equivilent of Colin from What We Do In The Shadows).

BUT, if you conclude football is shit based on the game last night, well the games not for you - don't come again.

Trilobit

I can only watch football with pizza, beer and friends. When it's a good game it's great, but otherwise I'd rather watch paint dry. Ice hockey on the other hand, that's a great sport!

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins

Probably one of the best games of this tournament.

The beautiful game isn't for everyone, but there is a reason why it's the most popular sport on earth.

Almost all sports are actually kind of boring if you just sit there by yourself and try to watch a game. Try it sometime

The joy in watching sports comes from watching with a group of people and the camaraderie of being in a fandom

Sure. If you don't actually like sports. If you really love sports then you'd enjoy watching them alone.

I watched the Spain V France game alone yesterday and loved it. I watch a lot of sport alone, mostly Football and Rugby Union, and love it.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Nah i would say it is american football, I very rarely watch sports games, but the amount of commercials was just unbearable. They run 2 steps and there is advertising again. And it never ends. At least the soccer games run for 45 minutes without interruption.
Anyone remember when they experimented with showing super short ads whenever there was a dead ball? Think it was Eurosport.

Boozeroony

Gold Member
As far as excitement goes, cycling has the lowest lows and the highest high.

Some Tour the France stages are a 5 hour snoozefest, while others are hours of pure fun and nail-biting.

bati

This is why your take is shit...

You look for fights in a game that's not about fights.

This is why people watch football:

Holy shit what a goal. Minimal required movement, and a checkmate for the goalkeeper from ~22m out while standing almost still. I've seen some good goals in my time but that's one of the best. Spectacular.

Ballthyrm

Rugby Union is the best.
It's like American football but in real time.

You got all kind of body types and it's played by mostly nice people for mostly nice fans.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I'd watch soccer more if there wasnt do much diving, where fans, refs and commentators all go with it "as part of the game".

But yesterday's match between Uruguay and Brazil was much better. The ref didnt give a shit about most dives so play went on. He didn't give a shit someone was rolling on the ground.

Then of course as soon as the player realizes no call, he gets up and plays.

Never understood how soccer fans can tolerate the stupidity in diving. No other sport is like this.

intbal

I find NASCAR unwatchable.
Despite living my entire life in the heart of Nascar Country.

I appreciate the skill, training, and technical accomplishments of the teams. But I just can't stand to watch the races.

Sleepwalker

OP "football is boring and hockey is better cause there are fights"

Copa america: hold my beer

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I find NASCAR unwatchable.
Despite living my entire life in the heart of Nascar Country.

I appreciate the skill, training, and technical accomplishments of the teams. But I just can't stand to watch the races.
I find all car racing unwatchable.

I find it similar to skiing, track and field stuff, gymnastics, soccer etc... Only good time to watch it is a replay of a car crash, someone fucks up and trips or a goal.

Although I dont follow it and only see rare coverage on sports channels, I'd say for myself the most exciting sport to watch is Australian Rules Football. Constant action. Last year they were showing a Women's Aussie football game. It was crazy and pretty fun to watch. MMA slugfests with two people on their feet punching an kicking is good too.

And like all Aussie football games, tons of people getting dragged down or knocked over, and ZERO faking dives or injuries. Women's game too. Get knocked down, and get back up like a champ.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Apart from referees, football/soccer associations should also have acting coaches on the field to give the these people a red card for bad acting.
As crazy as it sounds, my buddy who follows soccer claims refs can give divers a yellow card. And supposedly he's seen it happen.

I've never seen a ref ever give a yellow to a player who crumbled to the ground.

Last edited:
As crazy as it sounds, my buddy who follows soccer claims refs can give divers a yellow card. And supposedly he's seen it happen.

I've never seen a ref ever give a yellow to a player who crumbled to the ground.
Yes this absolutely does happen, however only really/largely when theres no contact (i.e. its blatant). I saw someone only last week getting booked for diving (personally I think attempting to get a player booked or sent off by feigning a foul should be treated much more severely).

EDIT:

CAUTIONS FOR UNSPORTING BEHAVIOUR
  • attempts to deceive the referee e.g. by feigning injury or pretending to have been fouled (simulation)
From the thefa.com

DOUBLE EDIT:

Rafael Leao will miss Portugal’s final Euro 2024 group-stage game through suspension after receiving two yellow cards for diving.

Just as an FYI... (boring I know tho)

Last edited:
I remember this one from 2002 with Rivaldo getting a player sent off - this should be punished with a serious spank and stern telling off... and then sent off to a chorus of impolite boos. Shame as he was a great player, just a wee bit too diiiiiiiirty.

Ristifer

Soccer has its moments, but it does tend to blow at times. They have to add time on the end because these motherfuckers have to dive everywhere. I would understand diving 40-50 minutes in, because you've been running around so much and want to just lay on the ground. That's understandable. But these assholes are laying there 4 minutes into the match. Just get the fuck up and keep going.

And of course there's diving in hockey. But there are also madmen who put their faces in front of frozen pucks travelling 90-100mph off of someone's stick. Soccer players would be running into the ocean if they had to do that.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Yes this absolutely does happen, however only really/largely when theres no contact (i.e. its blatant). I saw someone only last week getting booked for diving (personally I think attempting to get a player booked or sent off by feigning a foul should be treated much more severely).

EDIT:

CAUTIONS FOR UNSPORTING BEHAVIOUR
  • attempts to deceive the referee e.g. by feigning injury or pretending to have been fouled (simulation)
From the thefa.com

DOUBLE EDIT:

Rafael Leao will miss Portugal’s final Euro 2024 group-stage game through suspension after receiving two yellow cards for diving.

Just as an FYI... (boring I know tho)
Ha. My buddy is Portuguese. Maybe that's the incident he was actually talking about as an example to me!

Last edited:
As an American on the east coast, I enjoy that Premier League games are on before the NFL Sunday games. I basically get an entire day of sports from 9am to midnight which is amazing.

One great thing about football/soccer is the games are quick - 45 mins, 15 min break, 45 mins. It's not a huge investment to follow a team and get into the sport. If a game is boring, so what? It's less than two hours of your time. A boring NFL game can ruin half your day.

Another thing about football/soccer I've noticed - the more you watch, there is a sort of rhythm to the game you eventually tap into. If a team is off, it's like listening to a poorly composed piece of music. If they are on, it's awesome to see. The problem, I feel, is that people tune into a single game and if they don't see enough goals scored, they just label it "boring". We don't have a culture around the sport so many Americans don't actually understand what is happening on the pitch, moment to moment - they just see people kicking a ball around.

If you're interested in getting into the sport as an American, pick a Premier League team, learn about the key players and watch them play for a few weeks. Also, I bet 9 out of 10 Americans don't know how offsides works and the role it plays in the game. This is pretty key information you need before watching - you really can't appreciate anything that's happening if you don't know this fundamental aspect of the sport.

StueyDuck

You need to watch more sports.

I agree that footballers becoming drama queens is boring. I'm openly more of a rugby fan for such reasons.

But football is still exciting as fuck when you watch a legitimately good game.

Compare it to some "international" sports where they stop playing every 5 minutes to throw ads in your face and the match lasts all day basically makes me want to scratch my eyes out.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
I like soccer.

But nothing. NOTHING fucks with Hockey.

It’s the greatest sport on earth to watc
Nothing comes close to the level of intensity and passion of the NHL playoffs. And that’s without even mentioning the speed and skill involved.

Last edited:
Rugby Union is the best.

You got all kind of body types and it's played by mostly nice people for mostly nice fans.
Being a northerner, its rugby league for me. Both codes are for hard men though, and none of the theatrics like the overpaid footballers. Watched a game the other week and one of the players (Jonny Lomax) dislocated his finger, physio puts it back in on the pitch and the player runs straight back into the action.

Another one to make you wince, Paul Wood in a challenge cup final ruptured a bollock and just carried on playing.

NecrosaroIII

Ultimate DQ Fan
*Baseball is the worst sport to watch. 3+ hours of jack shit happening, 15 min+ of cool shit you can watch on highlights

Soodanim

I like a proper game of football. But I'd rather watch lower leagues or something from 20 years ago than a bunch of pansies be annoying pricks. Give me Arsenal vs United at the peak of their rivalry, not twatty little olympic level divers to afraid to play like men.

calistan

Rugby Union is the best.

The body types are mostly giant dudes these days. I live in a rugby city, and sometimes you see the visiting team walking through the town centre, from their hotel to the ground. Compared to normal people they are enormous.

The fans are much nicer than football crowds. Here they all drink in the same pubs as the locals and walk around doing tourist stuff in their team colours before the game. There's no police presence whatsoever, and no fighting or taunting.

Top Bottom