• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT14| Juan Flew Into The Slug's Nest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linius

Looked hilarious

andydcajsjlj.gif

This was a red? What the fuck :lol

K1LLER7

Rumours Nike and United are trying to agree a Kit deal of ~£70m a season. Madrid currently get £31m and France National get £40m. Add the £53m a year Chevloret will also pay, starting from next year that's over £120m a year just from these two contracts.

Not Bad.

Barzul

Chelsea team v. City

-------Eto'o
Hazard---Oscar----Ramires
-------David Luiz---Mikel
Azpi---Terry---Cahill---Ivanovic

Mourinho will make West Ham look like amateurs loooool

LegoArmo

Rumours Nike and United are trying to agree a Kit deal of ~£70m a season. Madrid currently get £31m and France National get £40m. Add the £53m a year Chevloret will also pay, starting from next year that's over £120m a year just from these two contracts.

Not Bad.

Don't forget the relegation parachute payments.

Fergie

Banned

Not Bad.
Spend it all on midfield.

Lightning

Banned
Watching the Barca vs Valencia highlights. LOL at Barcelona's defending on all the goals. A special LOL for Valdes on the second goal where he took himself out of play. He didn't commit to the ball nor did did he stay on his line he stood in no mans land.

rodvik

Liverpool. Tomorrow you know what you must do.

I demand double figures. SEND THE BAGGIES DOWN.

Boing fucking boing :)

Lightning

Banned
Moyes does have a point today. United should never have lost that game, they were unlucky. Generally I don't go for that reasoning but that first goal was never going in until an incredibly unlucky deflection, although Carrick should have done better, but De Gea had no chance. Had the freekick covered but you can't save that. The second was just a lucky super strike, another unstoppable shot, but Adam who is capable of that was just fortunate with that.

The main thing I notice with United is they don't react when they are losing this season. Normally when they are losing or not getting the desired result they launch an onslaught on the opposition goal trying to score but that appears to have gone. And again today, enough possession but killer punch that caused most teams to make mistakes and lose their leads is not there so United have a hard time getting back into games because of it.

Moyes has to adapt to the situation of games. I noticed at Evferton he was a one plan manager and so far at United he's proving to still be a one plan manager and that doesn't work at top clubs. I want him to succeed but if he doesn't change his tactics no matter what players he puts on the pitch he won't succeed.

pulga

Banned
UnitedGAF stop fucking about with your romantic outlook on managers: Moyes needs to be sacked. He's got nothing.

I like good shit, cunt.

sure and i support struggling minnow teams

I thank Wooden for creating this wonderful gif for me.

dadsad32r11ud4.gif

this didnt get enough love

amazing

do one with phil jones

Still not as bad as +€100 for Bale

i have a feeling some madridistas in you early childhood did bad things to you lololololololol

Turok_TTZ

dat moyes gif.
meanwhile I currently wait for reading material before tomorrow's game.
need to buy dat negima! omnibus. Benzema's recent acquittal was long overdue, not sure why the court even bothered to pursue it, especially when prosecution actually wanted the case dropped all those years ago.

Firing Moyes...means that Fergie was terribly wrong. Nobody wants to admit that yet.
then I hope manutd keep trust in moyes and fergie, manutd is something that is quite amusing, a weekly comic for me.

Lightning

Banned
Fucking Laudrup. I remember last season where this guy was being tipped for Real Madrid, several Arsenal fans (not GAF) wanted him to replace Wenger, Spurs wanted him to replace AVB but Swansea look shit and have looked shit all year. Their attack is incredibly toothless, they don't look like scoring a goal, their passing is slow and they cannot defend. This season has shown a rather different light on Laudrup and he hasn't responded well so far.

sohois

Fucking Laudrup. I remember last season where this guy was being tipped for Real Madrid, several Arsenal fans (not GAF) wanted him to replace Wenger, Spurs wanted him to replace AVB but Swansea look shit and have looked shit all year. Their attack is incredibly toothless, they don't look like scoring a goal, their passing is slow and they cannot defend. This season has shown a rather different light on Laudrup and he hasn't responded well so far.

I was gonna say I didn't think Swansea were doing too badly, but checking the table and they're sucked right into that relegation pack that's pretty much the whole bottom half of the table. No chance of being relegated, I feel though and I think Michu's indifferent form this season has hurt them.

Speaking of the relegation battle, it's really unclear now who's going down aside from Fulham. The Gus bus has changed Sunderland's course and if West Ham can keep Carroll fit then they should be able to stay up. I suppose Cardiff are still fairly likely, but the third slot?

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Speaking of the relegation battle, it's really unclear now who's going down aside from Fulham. The Gus bus has changed Sunderland's course and if West Ham can keep Carroll fit then they should be able to stay up. I suppose Cardiff are still fairly likely, but the third slot?

It's going to be Fulham, Cardiff and West Brom.

Lightning

Banned
I was gonna say I didn't think Swansea were doing too badly, but checking the table and they're sucked right into that relegation pack that's pretty much the whole bottom half of the table. No chance of being relegated, I feel though and I think Michu's indifferent form this season has hurt them.

Fulham, Cardiff are 2 of the teams I suspect to go down. Pulis will probably do enough with Palace, they will be hard to relegate while he's there. Gus turning around Sunderland quite nicely so the other candidates are West Ham, West Brom or Norwich.

Can't see Hull getting relegated. They have a good team and are playing well. Swansea are poo but they aren't getting relegated either.

sohois

It's going to be Fulham, Cardiff and West Brom.

Yeah West Brom are certainly at risk - still have no idea why they sold Shane Long, especially to a relegation rival - but I think you should probably give Mel a few more games to see how he does before condemning them.

-

A few pages back there was some discussion of YPOTY and Ross Barkley, I went to check how Shelvey was doing for Swansea and was reminding of a point I wished to make about him.

Barkley has 3 goals, no assists, 2 Tackles/Intercepts per game and 1 key pass per game. The other less important stats are all average or poor as well. The only area in which Barkely really stands out is in Dribbles per game. Young midfielders with better or similar stats:

Shelvey
Ramsey
McCarthy
Westwood
Henderson
Wilshere

Ramsey in particular is way ahead of him. And that's not counting attacking midfielders, in which case Hazard, Oscar, Coutinho and Eriksen would all be ahead of him as well. I'm not saying he has been bad or anything, but at the moment he is probably favourite for the YPOTY and you see talk of £50million bids for him. He doesn't appear to deserve such hype.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Mazzarri "The club sent out a message to others during the transfer window. "

what message? :lol

that your club is incompetent from top to bottom? :lol

Lightning

Banned
Mazzarri "The club sent out a message to others during the transfer window. "

what message? :lol

that your club is incompetent from top to bottom? :lol
They signed the Lazio midfielder who's a decent player and cancelled the deal that should never have existed with Juve. Thats a decent sign.

I would have had less respect for them if they went through with such a stupid deal.

Gambit

maaaaan, why do we have to wait till 5:30pm to see some bayern? sooooo annoying.

Yes, it is annoying. I prefer games on a Wednesday-Saturday schedule, no deviations.

BTW: Where did you read those Draxler stories yesterday? I haven't found any.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
They signed the Lazio midfielder who's a decent player and cancelled the deal that should never have existed with Juve. Thats a decent sign.

I would have had less respect for them if they went through with such a stupid deal.

but they asked for it! :lol it was their idea! :lol

their top priority wasn't a CM, it was a striker. And they ended up giving away their big summer signing Belfodil (A STRIKER) to Livorno.

Lightning

Banned
but they asked for it! :lol it was their idea! :lol

their top priority wasn't a CM, it was a striker. And they ended up giving away their big summer signing Belfodil (A STRIKER) to Livorno.
It's not like he was banging in the goals though, was it? He's young and needs more experience.

And I know it was their deal but a bad deal that needed to be cancelled.

What can any other manager do with Wellbeck, Cleverely, Evra, Young, Jones, Smalling, Hernandez, Valencia?

If we replace Moyes now what is actually going to change? And no-one is actually available of high enough profile.

If there was someone available with a track record of success then im willing to listen

A manager that doesn't have a winning track record can improve the side if he's willing to instill a fluid passing game with United. There are loads of managers that are all about playing attacking football and with lesser players can get them passing the ball better. This style of football is best suited for Mata, RVP, Januzaj, Kagawa, Nani, Welbeck, etc...

Everyone always says no manager can the best out of the players you mentioned, but maybe, just maybe, they are being made to look worse by the style of play Moyes has the team playing. When 3-4 players are off form, you place the blame on the players. When the whole squad looks worse than in previous years, you blame the manager.

A squad that just won the league, doesn't just magically transform into this position without the manager fucking up big time.

The give more Moyes time sentiment is confusing to me. There has to be evidence that he's going to turn it around. Otherwise, why not apply that sentiment to Hodgson, Sam Allardyce, and Di Canio? If a manager can't get the best out of his current squad, why are you so sure he'll be able to get the best out of better players? Yeah the world class players might force the team into the top 3, but that's also not good enough because the potential of that better squad would be winning the league and CL.

Another big negative that says it all is de Gea's distribution. He used to be a lot more willing to play it out from the back and now a days just hoofs it up the first chance he gets. It's ridiculous.

IF Liverpool smash West Brom today I could see them going down. That's a big IF though since Liverpool contrive to cock up their best chances all the time.

Also hello again everybody.

catinbath_zps3c40f41c.gif

IF Liverpool smash West Brom today I could see them going down. That's a big IF though since Liverpool contrive to cock up their best chances all the time.

Also hello again everybody.

catinbath_zps3c40f41c.gif

I don't think WBA will get smashed but it's gonna be tough to get a point.

I think in the long run they will be ok but a huge loss would really hurt them.

Watching Cardiff game, Moyes you really are a fool, Zaha could improve us... well more than Young.

Great to see him getting minutes.

Moyes does have a point today. United should never have lost that game, they were unlucky. Generally I don't go for that reasoning but that first goal was never going in until an incredibly unlucky deflection, although Carrick should have done better, but De Gea had no chance. Had the freekick covered but you can't save that. The second was just a lucky super strike, another unstoppable shot, but Adam who is capable of that was just fortunate with that.

The main thing I notice with United is they don't react when they are losing this season. Normally when they are losing or not getting the desired result they launch an onslaught on the opposition goal trying to score but that appears to have gone. And again today, enough possession but killer punch that caused most teams to make mistakes and lose their leads is not there so United have a hard time getting back into games because of it.

Moyes has to adapt to the situation of games. I noticed at Everton he was a one plan manager and so far at United he's proving to still be a one plan manager and that doesn't work at top clubs. I want him to succeed but if he doesn't change his tactics no matter what players he puts on the pitch he won't succeed.

Watch the highlights of Zaha make the difference for Cardiff and this becomes pretty obvious. He doesn't track back or get to the byline as much as Young and Valencia so Moyes freezes him out. Some people describe Mourinho as a negative manager but he's in truth an adaptable one. Moyes is way way way too one track with his tactics.

for someone who lives in australia and is clueless about the NFL and american football, who has the better chance of winning the superbowl according to 'experts' and so on - denver or seattle? are they regarded as fairly equally skilled teams? i'm a big NBA fan so an a basketball analogy could be useful!

edit: just realised i posted in the offseason thread as well, oops.

Wut

Blablurn

I wonder how long Ribery and Robben can keep their pace. Both are around the same age. Both contributed big time in the past but it's time to think about a plan B. Is Shaqiri the right successor for Ribery? Probably not. Could Draxler be the right guy? Maybe. He just needs at least one consistent season though. Too bad we don't have any good wingers in the youth.

Btw, did you guys see Stuttgarts Werner? He seemed pretty good. Very fast too. He should go to Dortmund to get some of Klopps school. In 2, 3 years he should be ready for us then.

Should we use Götze on the wing? He did it great against Stuttgart but he should stay in the middle i guess.

-----Lewa---

?---Götze--Thiago---?

---Martinez---

Alaba--- ? --- Boateng ---

---Neuer

Lahm is not the youngest anymore either. Schweinsteiger is probably done. The next 2, 3 years will be entertaining. If we keep Pep and win some titles, players will love to join us. Hopefully we won't fuck it up.

What can any other manager do with Wellbeck, Cleverely, Evra, Young, Jones, Smalling, Hernandez, Valencia?

If we replace Moyes now what is actually going to change? And no-one is actually available of high enough profile.

If there was someone available with a track record of success then im willing to listen

Sorry, but this is a silly argument. You've seen a number of new managers at big clubs this season, where there's been a definite change in how the style of football is played. And there's a good number of managers available, or who could be tempted in the summer, with more pedigree than Moyes. They're just not British.

It's an irrelevant discussion though. I'm convinced SAF is stubborn enough to get Moyes another season, even if we miss out on the CL. He'll receive the big summer spend and a shot at redemption, for sure.

Lightning

Banned
I wonder how long Ribery and Robben can keep their pace. Both are around the same age. Both contributed big time in the past but it's time to think about a plan B. Is Shaqiri the right successor for Ribery? Probably not. Could Draxler be the right guy? Maybe. He just needs at least one consistent season though. Too bad we don't have any good wingers in the youth.

Btw, did you guys see Stuttgarts Werner? He seemed pretty good. Very fast too. He should go to Dortmund to get some of Klopps school. In 2, 3 years he should be ready for us then.

Should we use Götze on the wing? He did it great against Stuttgart but he should stay in the middle i guess.

-----Lewa---

?---Götze--Thiago---?

---Martinez---

Alaba--- ? --- Boateng ---

---Neuer

Lahm is not the youngest anymore either. Schweinsteiger is probably done. The next 2, 3 years will be entertaining. If we keep Pep and win some titles, players will love to join us. Hopefully we won't fuck it up.
Kroos definite going? Such a super talented player. Where's Lahm in there?

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
It's not like he was banging in the goals though, was it? He's young and needs more experience.

And I know it was their deal but a bad deal that needed to be cancelled.

I think you're DESPERATELY trying to give them credit where credit is not due. :p

Young and needs experience? Well, USE him then. Scoring or not, they lost of one of their (big signing) strikers and now they're a Palacio injury away from finishing in mid-table again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom