• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT14| Juan Flew Into The Slug's Nest

Status
Not open for further replies.

wedward

During games a lot of arsenal fans are unnecessarily pessimistic. The rest of the time they are overly confident.

Calm down.

Meier

Can't believe ozil still can't last a game
No big deal IMO. Silva probably plays the full 90 maybe 20% of the time. Better to sub off guys like this and give them a little more time to refresh if you've already put the game away.

wedward

No big deal IMO. Silva probably plays the full 90 maybe 20% of the time. Better to sub off guys like this and give them a little more time to refresh if you've already put the game away.

Good point. I really don't understand this crticism.

And in Ozil's case it's incorrect because he finishes most games.

People said the exact same thing about the Ox with his first breakout season (remember the whole backlash in the game against Utd with RVP, etc.). You can't assume that Gnabry will just develop linearly when we've seen so many cases of players regressing for whatever reason. Theo's production is remarkably consistent (especially for one who's flaws are so often criticized) and you can't take that for granted. He's absolutely worth 100k.

and if I played him up front, I wouldn't expect him to be the type of player who holds the ball up, I'd rework the tactics to make him a more pure poacher-type. you could easily say Giroud can't play up front because he's a fucking terrible finisher (and I'd argue that finishing is far more important to playing up front than hold up play).

I agree with that 100% but Wenger doesn't rework his tactics.

Anyway a good win. Now for a couple hours sleep and the Juve game

Draconian

The pass, the vision. It's almost like Gerrard passing to Drogba.

goglgl8muew.gif

kololololhluj4.gif

I've gotta quote this again just to post the Gerrard to Drogba gif for comparison.

gerard-assist-drogba-o.gif

Lolerpool strikes again!

bobito

Banned

Yeah I guess.

How are you feeling about tomorrow?

Barzul

I never said he was shit. He is a good quality PL winger and got a lot of assists with RVP. He is not a starting calibre player on a championship winning team. Sometimes fans should stop being so blind about our players. Theo knocks the ball forward and runs. Gnabry is already better in every aspect of his game than Theo.

Also single handedly hauled us to 4th??? You forget that for the first time in a decade we had debutants who scored over ten games in a season.

I love Theo, he is just not a world class player.
Theo is better than Gnabry. He doesn't make wayward shots every couple of minutes. Gnabry may become better but he is not at Theo's level. If both players were fit, I'd never start Gnabry over Theo in any important games.

Sporting´s 11 for the match against Academica :
Patrício; Jefferson, Maurício, Rojo, Cédric; William, Adrien, André; Wilson Eduardo, Montero and Mané

Surprised to see Mané starting but he deserves it. He is an exciting player to watch and has been playing quite well when he is called to a match.
Not sure if I´m more afraid of Academica´s dangerous counter attack or the possibility of some dodgy decisions from the ref today.
William and Montero are on their 4th yellow which means that if they see a yellow today, they won´t play against Benfica next week.

Linius

Meanwhile PSV is 15 points away from the first place and only 9 points from the last. Closer to relegation than to winning the league.

GHG

I never said he was shit. He is a good quality PL winger and got a lot of assists with RVP. He is not a starting calibre player on a championship winning team. Sometimes fans should stop being so blind about our players. Theo knocks the ball forward and runs. Gnabry is already better in every aspect of his game than Theo.

Also single handedly hauled us to 4th??? You forget that for the first time in a decade we had debutants who scored over ten games in a season.

I love Theo, he is just not a world class player.

He's the most consistent finisher and assister we have in the team. When fit, Wenger sees him as a vital cog and hence he starts most of the time. He's worth the cash.

bud

I agree with that 100% but Wenger doesn't rework his tactics.

and why should he? there's absolutely zero reason for wenger to build a team around walcott. walcott's not messi or ronaldo. he's a below par footballer who is absolutely rubbish as a winger because he can barely beat his man.

walcott is a good squad player, though. he's ideal for when you need to bring someone on with pace in the last twenty minutes.

gnarby is overrated, no way he's better then Walcott

Currently not better, but he will be. He's exceptional talent for an 18 year old, and his game doesn't solely depend on pace, like Walcott.

I look at Walcott and I don't really see him getting any better than he is now, at least not on the wide right.

Just got home and log onto GAF and...

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

This is exactly like Gerrard to Drogba. Actually, it's a bit worse as Drogba actually had to make a bit of a run to get to the ball. Toure almost acted like he thought Anichebe was on his own team.

It's worse. Gerrard's was a blind ball, a moment of carelessness, with a clear aim, to get the ball back to the keeper.. Toure has a clear view across the pitch, and must know that Anichebe is there. Don't know what the fuck he was trying to do.

Wish Sterling would be single-minded sometimes like Ox was today. Instead of dropping to pick up the ball, run into space in the box. Instead of slowing down and looking for options, sprint into the box.

edit: Seen the gif, Gerrard's is worse than I remember

Barzul

Currently not better, but he will be. He's exceptional talent for an 18 year old, and his game doesn't solely depend on pace, like Walcott.

I look at Walcott and I don't really see him getting any better than he is now, at least not on the wide right.

This is my view on it too, Gnabry will be better but he's definitely not better right now.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Szczesny surely has to be in the running for goalkeeper of the year in the PL?

Him and De Gea have been the two best. Cech, Mignolet, Lloris and Hart have all shat themselves far too often this season.

Barzul

OptaJoe ‏@OptaJoe 2m
7 - Arsenal have won seven Premier League games 2-0 this season; no other team has more than three. Speciality.

I had noticed the trend.

Suen

Nice tribute to Aragones from Atletico fans. Big icon for the club both as a player and as a coach.

Finish was rubbish, but the run was brilliant.
Thought it was good but that Bravo did a decent save. Need to catch the replay of it again.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Wenger "I had a decision to make over Källström - do I take him or do I take no one? It was 5pm."

WELL

jtb

Banned
Wenger on Kallstrom: “It’s simple. He has a ‘micro-fracture. Spartak share the cost as long as he’s injured."

hmm... well on the off chance we're still in the title race by April, I guess he'll be nice to have.

bud

"we're competing for three trophies and we've got lots of important games coming up pretty soon and we desperately need one or two players so let's just wait until the final day of the transfer window and go for a player who's injured for the next month or so"

GHG

"we're competing for three trophies and we've got lots of important games coming up pretty soon and we desperately need one or two players so let's just wait until the final day of the transfer window and go for a player who's injured for the next month or so"

But bud, he was free.

Yen

On rté, some show about Ireland's last Grand Slam, I'm fairly sure BOD just said fuck. Jesus lads, the Angelus was only 20 minutes ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom