• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT16| ''I tried to push him away with my head.''

Status
Not open for further replies.
honestly: compare True Detective to a Seven or even a Prisoners, and I can't imagine ever picking a True Detective. (and that's not even touching a legitimate classic like Chinatown or Zodiac)

Get this cunt out of the good taste club.

#InRustWeTrust

Wilbur

Banned
Seven is brilliant. True Detective is brilliant. The Kingdom is brilliant. The Capital One Cup is brilliant. Can't we all get along.

Messi

Yurt or other ArrowGAF members. I need help identifying an episode of the second season so I can get back to catching up. please help.

What episode ends with the reveal of Slade being in starling in current day? Thea is hot.

Yen

I really should get started on the NeoGAF Subjectivity Chrome add-on: it will search through posts and automatically add "In my opinion" if it deems fit.

jtb

Banned
Jtb you are definitely out of the good taste club

Prisoners ending was dick. Fuck Melissa Leo I don't like her at all.

Prisoners used its detective story to tackle interesting themes (ie. an allegory for the War on Terror, though admittedly a very heavy handed one) while True Detective basically just boils down to a story about a failed marriage. I didn't mind the ending of Prisoners (though the middle third drags a bit with the red herrings and shit) but Prisoners didn't abandon the conceit of this being a detective/serial killer story from the onset. if you're going to be a show on cable tackling failed marriages and misogyny and things like that, I'm sorry, but you're going to need to do better than that because that's what literally every show on cable is about.

Just about every dramatic/thematic beat TD hits, Seven touched on and did it with 10x the effectiveness. And it had characters that were actually compelling.

Seven is overrated as fuck

seven is the best serial killer movie ever

Messi

I respect your opinion in my opinion

kloppe3kzr.gif

Wilbur

Banned
Prisoners used its detective story to tackle interesting themes (ie. an allegory for the War on Terror) while True Detective basically just boils down to a story about a failed marriage. I didn't mind the ending of Prisoners (though the middle third drags a bit with the red herrings and shit) but Prisoners didn't abandon the conceit of this being a detective/serial killer story from the onset. if you're going to be a show on cable tackling failed marriages and misogyny and things like that, I'm sorry, but you're going to need to do better than that because that's what literally every show on cable is about.

Just about every dramatic/thematic beat TD hits, Seven touched on and did it with 10x the effectiveness. And it had characters that were actually compelling.

seven is the best serial killer movie ever

War On Terror seems a bit tenuous. It says a lot about the moral implications of torture and obviously by extent that involves the War On Terror, but I don't really think that was an allegory, just a byproduct of making something with torture in the 21st century. Wouldn't necessarily read that as allegory.

jtb

Banned
War On Terror seems a bit tenuous. It says a lot about the moral implications of torture and obviously by extent that involves the War On Terror, but I don't really think that was an allegory, just a byproduct of making something with torture in the 21st century. Wouldn't necessarily read that as allegory.

torture, religious fundamentalism, etc. a loose allegory but it's clearly touching on those themes. I mean, it's not subtle about it or anything, but at least it's trying I'll give it points for that.

I didn't say it was bad, I think it's pretty damn good.

Just overrated

fair enough. I like it more than most, I think—my favorite of Fincher's

subtles

I bought a few novels today and I'm quite disappointed that, regardless of medium, NA cover art for foreign products are incredibly underwhelming compared to the European and Japanese counterparts.

The most annoying of them is when they stick the face of a random person on the cover when the other versions have creative designs and a decent color scheme.

It honestly makes me wonder what goes through their heads when they make these decisions, or is this just appealing?
:'(

Zabojnik

The latest The Walking Dead episode, lulz. Beth is clearly craving for that D.

I probably wouldn't start with WoK though. Maybe something a bit shorter like Warbreaker or Mistborn: The Final Empire (it's the first book in a trilogy but works well as a standalone if you don't want to continue). I tend to like his shorter works more and my favourite so far is The Emperor's Soul. I think it's his best work.

Thanks!

subtles

I was just about to ask what book of his I should go with after the Mistborn trilogy. The Emperor's Soul it is.

You missed FlutterPuffs in the Manchester United section fry. He was asking about it in the last thread.

GorillaJu

There is more to enjoying TV/movies than catching on to thematic references. In fact I wish directors and writers would be less ambitious in trying to make big socially relevant messages because most times it's too heavy handed and not nuanced enough to do respect to the actual issue.

True D is good TV.

Wilbur

Banned
Yeah, don't think True Detective has to be anything different than what else is on television, or have deep thematic resonance to stand out.

It's wonderfully acted, especially by its two leads. It looks gorgeous. It's well written in terms of narrative, mythology and intrigue (even if you don't like the characters much), it has a top soundtrack... In most departments, it's better than everything on television right now. In the departments it's doing things similar to other shows, it's executing them better.

arkon

I was just about to ask what book of his I should go with after the Mistborn trilogy. The Emperor's Soul it is.

You missed FlutterPuffs in the Manchester United section fry. He was asking about it in the last thread.

It's short but sweet. Came at the right time for me as I was in a bit of a reading slump beforehand. Also made me realize I should be trying out shorter works as well. A good short story can be a nice change of pace from some of these huge fantasy tomes I'm accustomed to reading.

GorillaJu

I had a dream last night that a Gaf member took an open invitation from me to hang out in Japan but it was someone I didn't know, not a FootyGaf guy. He got lost at Yokohama station and I had to go all the way there to pick up him up and then he needed me to translate for him at the immigration office to get him a long term visa. But when we went there he was acting like a total fuck, hitting on every girl by calling them "idols" and never thanking me for helping him. Then he wanted me to take him to an electronics store so he could buy a CPU chip for his PC, but it was typhoon season and I was angry he had a nice looking calfskin riders jacket and he didn't give a shit that it was getting soaked because he refused to use an umbrella cause he thought it was uncool.

When I woke up I decided that I'm only ever going to host FootyGaf guys here.

Kenka

Kenka when are you going to make the next OT :lol
When Leverkusen wins the Austrian League ?
you might wanna correct this
Shhhhhhhhhhhhheeeeeeiit, I actually want a Union - Hertha face-off in the BL. I respect St-Pauli, so I won't insult them.
GermanGAF

Carnival is over

I'm so happy

it was a torture today

Bla pls
What carnival ? I saw pics from the one in Rastatt. Looked nice.

sohois

I pretty much never use Umbrellas. If it's raining to the point where you would need one, then you just don't go out, or at worst just get a taxi or something.

If it's just drizzling or light rain, then you don't need an umbrella. Pisses me off whenever there is the smallest shower here in Shanghai it becomes impossible to do anything without having to dodge 100s of umbrellas. All of which are held at eye poking height.

hiroshawn

Banned
I have to write an article for a football website but I have writers block and can't pick a topic. Any tips? It will be my first article and I want it to be good. Please help.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I totally agree with Wooden and Jtb, but I still love True D.
I wonder if I can even find that fucking movie without danish dubs here. Want to see it. Listened to an interview with one of the Lego guys about how they were approached about the movie, was pretty interesting. Then he spoilt me... Cunt.

I knew about that part too, but trust me it won't ruin anything.

And yeah give Hannibal a shot! It'll win you over by the time you reach the finale ;)
-
Michael Cox

Juve strike duo

Juventus basically won this game upfront, via the individual quality of the strikers – and the relationship between them. This is arguably something they didn’t do last season, and last summer’s signings of Carlos Tevez and Fernando Llorente have given another dimension to the side – otherwise, it’s last seasons’s XI.

Not only do Llorente and Tevez offer very different qualities, they consistently combine well. Rarely do you see two strikers with such great understanding of each other’s positioning and movement, and the intricacy of some of their one-touch play is absurdly good. It’s amazing how often a diagonal pass seemingly played into one of them is actually dummied for the other – let’s call it a Yorke-Cole move – and those combinations repeatedly drag defenders out of position, creating space to attack into.

*tears*

guys

we have good strikers

Juventus wouldn’t have won this game in 2011/12 (when they had five 0-0s) or 2012/13 (when they had two). Now, they have two top-class strikers and therefore have scored in every single league game this season.

Gambit

I started Arrow last night. It's kinda good. The island stuff is very interesting, the rest a bit slow but getting better, I hope.

Best effect the show has had so far: I feel like I have to start exercising daily!

BTW: thinking about giving up gaf for lent.

dc89

Liverpool make pre-tax loss of £49.8m in 2012-13. However, their debt is down on last year too so that's good news.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom