• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT16| ''I tried to push him away with my head.''

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salazar

lEDvtjJ.gif

TeddyBoy

Liverpool make pre-tax loss of £49.8m in 2012-13. However, their debt is down on last year too so that's good news.

We're certain to get at least a warning about FFP, our finances overall are pretty poor with quite a lot of players on Champions league wages but without champions league :(

@Usho: #DEAD

Makes me laugh how RAWK go mental when FSG are a little reluctant to overpay for players, and just forget the fact that they've taken on our debt which surely already put a massive hole in their finances. And they had their fingers burnt with the fury of a thousand suns in that first transfer window.

Reckon they'll make funds available to Rodgers ralative to where he is taking the team, and how much is coming in from TV deals and money made from cup runs/league position. Hopefully we have a fair wedge to spend in the summer, and hopefully Rodgers decides to use that in what I'd regard as the priority positions.

dc89

Fred Done has revealed his regret at not buying United – but believes the Reds need a Sheikh of their own.

In an explosive, heart-on-his-sleeve interview, the self-made Salford millionaire and lifelong fan has slammed owners the Glazer family, called for David Moyes to be given more time and cash and lifted the lid on how close he came to joining the Red Knights consortium that wanted to buy the club. A dyed-in-the-wool Red who was passed over the heads of the Stretford End crowds as a child, bookie king Fred has watched in dismay as his beloved club have delivered a miserable season and lurched from one crisis to another. Now he has had enough – and cannot keep quiet any more and turned his fire on the Glazers.

“It breaks my heart,” he exclusively told M.E.N. Sport. “They’re sat in Florida while 70,000 who love the club are paying for their debt and dividends and are not seeing a good team. We’re watching rubbish.” Fred, who has amassed a fortune from humble beginnings in Ordsall, raged: “It’s purely a financial instrument for the Glazers. When the right cheque is waved at them they will go.” Fred believes it would take £2bn to shift the Americans, who took the reins in 2005 and saddled the club with the debt of the borrowings they made to buy it.

But despite his own vast personal wealth and that of many of his high-ranking acquaintances, he does not feel he is the man to do it and thinks fans should be hoping for a similar owner to the man who has taken control across town and taken City to unthinkable heights.

“It will take an Arab sheikh or a Russian oligarch,” he said. “Look at City. They are murdering them. When you go there everything from the catering to what is on the pitch is better than United at the moment. Sheikh Mansour does not care about a return on his money. He has done fantastic for City and for the city of Manchester. The Glazers want dividends.”

Fred, who shelled out £265m for the Tote in 2011, was rumoured to have been approached by the Red Knights, a group of wealthy United-supporting businessmen who attempted to buy the club in 2010. He confirmed that he was asked three times and said no but revealed he regretted not buying it on his own.

“I was asked on three occasions would I join,” he said. “If I wanted United I would want to own it for myself.”

Fred, whose empire includes more than 1,350 Betfred shops, also had strong words for Moyes – but believes Reds officials should back rather than sack the under-fire new boss.

“You saw him slouched in his seat at Olympiakos,” he said.
“That looks like a defeated man. Sit up straight, David, and don’t do that nonsense. Stop apologising for players who are not good enough. Change them. Next season be ruthless. You have to dismantle this team. I don’t expect you to be Premier League champions next season or the year after. “You need seven or eight players because they are just not good enough. Get the knife out. You don’t make omelettes without breaking eggs. Break some eggs.”

Fred feels that the £100m summer transfer kitty being talked about is not big enough and warned that the club could suffer a similar fall from grace to that suffered by Liverpool, who have not won the top-flight title since 1990 after dominating for years.

“If I look at United I see captions claiming they are the biggest club in the world,” he said. “I do not believe that for one minute. I don’t think they are in the top half dozen and if they are not careful they will slip down that ladder quickly. I hear arrogant talk about how United don’t need to play well and win to pull crowds. You watch. I sit at Old Trafford and see strangers around me where you used to see the same faces week in week out. They are not selling the tickets believe me. “Look at whats happened at Liverpool. I hope it doesn’t take United 24 years to come back. They talk about spending £100m – I don’t think that’s enough.”

At the end of a sobering interview for every Reds fan Fred, who thinks that City will win the Premier League and that United will not qualify for Europe, thinks that the club can already no longer be classed as part of Europe’s elite.

“When you talk about biggest in world United don’t measure up to Barcelona, Real Madrid, or Bayern Munich,” he said. “And in footballing terms they are not as good as Chelsea or City. I think we are going to be mid-table for the next few years. “The jury is out on Moyes but given time he could be a good manager."

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/manchester-united-need-sheikh-wish-6765877

I should have just put the whole thing in bold. So many meaty bits!

Zabojnik

*tears*

guys

we have good strikers

While I completely agree, I still think we're way more predictable in our attacking than we should be. Having proper wingers would help us immensly, imo, as would having Lichtsteiner playing as RB. Defensively he's a beast, while in attack he excels at what he did in the play that lead to our first goal against Milan. Reading the situation & rushing in from behind to either assist or score, often with Pirlo's help.

iE5pQ8fMCZSF9.gif

This right here is vintage Licht. Used to do it all the time when we were playing 4-3-3. Still does it, but to a much lesser extent, since playing with 3-5-2 forces him to stay wide on the wing and engage in fruitless 1 vs. 1s with his direct marker. That's not what Lichtsteiner is good at. He's not a dribbler at all, yet that's exactly what's asked of him in our current setup. And so he'll either pass the ball diagonally back to one of our holding midfielders or try to outrun his opponent by springing towards to goal line, hoping that the cross will go through. Which it more often than not does not. Conte pls. Let's switch back to 4-3-3 next season and buy Cuadrado with Berardi as his 'understudy', Pogba-Marchisio style.

Looks like Minus is up and running again, so here's the other goal from Milan - Juve.

ibuC84tLVbDmLG.gif

bjaelke

Makes me laugh how RAWK go mental when FSG are a little reluctant to overpay for players, and just forget the fact that they've taken on our debt which surely already put a massive hole in their finances. And they had their fingers burnt with the fury of a thousand suns in that first transfer window.

Reckon they'll make funds available to Rodgers ralative to where he is taking the team, and how much is coming in from TV deals and money made from cup runs/league position. Hopefully we have a fair wedge to spend in the summer, and hopefully Rodgers decides to use that in what I'd regard as the priority positions.

They received outside capital (from UKSV Holding) to help reduce the debt.

Jack cw

According to german Focus, Bayern is negotiating with Gündogan...
I cant believe we are going for a guy that is in a career ending spot... well, we did that with Deisler too...

subtles

I hope Rodgers has told Sterling to forget everything Hodgson tells him as soon as his England duties are over.

Sterling will probably blurt "steady" several times during training.

The biggest issue with deals is all of the costs outside of the initial transfer fee. It's easy to say it's an additional 4 million when the reality is that it's more.

Despite the number of deals that fell through we now have the most comfortable squad we've had in ages and provided we make the CL we'll be in a stronger position to tweak it accordingly.

I do wonder on that note, and considering how much Rooney is now making, if image rights have canceled any big money deals.

Jack cw

It's personal at this point, isn't it?

I guess so. Focus is pretty credible and its boss is sitting in Bayerns board, so there must be something with Gündogan. There are only 2 reasons why this would happen. Kroos leaving/ applying pressure on him or simply ripping Dortmund appart. Guess its both :/

subtles

Do you have a gif Zabo of the amazing Milan play that everyone was talking about?

Bayern now want to take all of Kloppetto's players. :(

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
^ I think he's talking about Gigi + Bonucci's clearance.

While I completely agree, I still think we're way more predictable in our attacking than we should be. Having proper wingers would help us immensly, imo, as would having Lichtsteiner playing as RB. Defensively he's a beast, while in attack he excels at what he did in the play that lead to our first goal against Milan. Reading the situation & rushing in from behind to either assist or score, often with Pirlo's help.

This right here is vintage Licht. Used to do it all the time when we were playing 4-3-3. Still does it, but to a much lesser extent, since playing with 3-5-2 forces him to stay wide on the wing and engage in fruitless 1 vs. 1s with his direct marker. That's not what Lichtsteiner is good at.

It's hard to make a case for any other formation now with Tevez-Llorente playing like this :p

but forget about our attacking capabilities for a second, what about our defense? Diabolical at times. And we have WAY too many CBs to simply drop it -_-

One of the reasons we started it using it in the first place was having three brilliant defenders, and at least two of them are out of form right now.

He's not a dribbler at all, yet that's exactly what's asked of him in our current setup. And so he'll either pass the ball diagonally back to one of our holding midfielders or try to outrun his opponent by springing towards to goal line, hoping that the cross will go through. Which it more often than not does not.

my favourite part is when he deliberately smacks it on the defender to win a corner :lol :lol (which is 80% of the time)

but then I stop laughing after I realise that Pirlo is going to take it.

subtles

I must've missed it. Which one was it? I can look for it, if I know what happened, more or less.

I don't have much to tell you unfortunately. :(

All I've seen mentioned multiple times: it was an incredible play that Kaka should have scored from.

Thanks anyway, I'll look up the extended highlights.

Zabojnik

It's hard to make a case for any other formation now with Tevez-Llorente playing like this :p

but forget about our attacking capabilities for a second, what about our defense? Diabolical at times. And we have WAY too many CBs to simply drop it -_-

One of the reasons we started it using it in the first place was having three brilliant defenders, and at least two of them are out of form right now.

my favourite part is when he deliberately smacks it on the defender to win a corner :lol :lol

but then I stop laughing after I realise that Pirlo is going to take it.

Yeah, that's Conte's eternal dilemma, isn't it? Or rather the fan's eternal dilemma. By switching to 4-3-3 we might ruin what is in many aspects a perfectly balanced mechanism. It is my opinion however that 'balance' helps you win year-long championships, while a more 'daring' approach is what puts you ahead in CL. If you can have both, like Bayern do (or did last year), then you're pretty much invincible.

Sometimes I wish we would just go for it, you know what I mean?

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Yeah, that's Conte's eternal dilemma, isn't it? Or rather the fan's eternal dilemma. By switching to 4-3-3 we might ruin what is in many aspects a perfectly balanced mechanism. It is my opinion however that 'balance' helps you win year-long championships, while a more 'daring' approach is what puts you ahead in CL. If you can have both, like Bayern do (or did last year), then you're pretty much invincible.

Sometimes I wish we would just go for it, you know what I mean?

I do! And that's what we did against Cristina's team ;)

Conte is slowly learning in Europe, I have complete faith in him <3 You won't see a 3-5-2 against a big European team again that's for sure.
I hate this shit.
you REALLY don't :p

who cares if Lewy is a cunt? You're Bayern ffs, a club led by (former Merda player) Rummenigge and Ulrich Hoeneß. Rip them apart and spit on their grave bb.

subtles

Thanks Yurt. <3
Kaka looked lively.

I miss Poli. He should have stayed at Sampdoria and become a club legend. Going to Inter and then Milan. :'(

Jack cw

Bayern GAF stop pretending you're not loving this.

I know I would!

It's your annual Guarin-Juve saga. Rejoice!

I would love it, if he hadnt had that back injury. I know Bayern fixed Robben, but this is something way different. We need a spinal surgeon that crashed on a plane to make him whole again.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I would love it, if he hadnt had that back injury. I know Bayern fixed Robben, but this is something way different. We need a spinal surgeon that crashed on a plane to make him whole again.

Is he really injured though?

Zabojnik

This is the one, right? You call it amazing play, I call it BONUCCI FFS. It was a pretty great counter though. We were incredibly lucky not to conceed in the first half.

itlpSqyeNxsUc.gif

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Del Bosque "it must be remembered that he [Costa] can play against Italy [for Spain] and then go to the World Cup with Brazil."

&#8220;This is not a final resolution on either side. This match is not binding for Diego Costa.&#8221;
and he compared Costa playing for Spain to Balotelli playing for Italy. :lol not even close..

Jack cw

Is he really injured though?

We dont know. He wont extend his contract is about to leave Dortmund. A injury like this would force BVB to sell him for way less. But I doubt he simulates an injury just to go to another club for cheap.

Blablurn

Bought new headphones. They work great with my mobile phone.

sA0jrhe.png

But when I plug it into my laptop or my tablet, I need to hold the Pause Button on the Remote to get the full volume. If I don't hold it the sounds gets worse. As I said in the beginning. It works just fine with my phone. Any idea whats behind this problem?

We dont know. He wont extend his contract is about to leave Dortmund. A injury like this would force BVB to sell him for way less. But I doubt he simulates an injury just to go to another club for cheap.

Don't think you can fake the sort of back problem he has. It should show up on an MRI scan.

Jack cw

Don't think you can fake the sort of back problem he has. It should show up on an MRI scan.

It obviously did but it wasnt the suspected forward displacement of a vertebra, but apparently periodic inflammations of some nerves in the spine. Whatever he has its pretty vague and nobody knows if this will heal or not.

To be honest, I don't care if Gündogan goes to Bayern, Real, Barca or United. I just hope we get &#8364;15-20m for him...

He's probably fucked forever or at least won't ever be as good as he was again. Bayern would actually be a good choice for Gündogan. They can give him time, money is no matter and his name in Germany is big enough to not get a situation like Sahin at Real.

Feorax

Puyol has called a press conference for this afternoon.
Announcing his retirement?

You would think so. Either that or a move to MLS for a year.

Looks like the financial reports are suggesting those cancers did more damage to Liverpool than we thought.

Yen

You would think so. Either that or a move to MLS for a year.

Looks like the financial reports are suggesting those cancers did more damage to Liverpool than we thought.
Having to pay off architects for close to £50m will always hurt.

Feorax

Another interesting quote from today is that Rodgers is breaking the season down for the players into 4 or 5 game runs. Might explain why we're still not considering a title challenge as realistic, since we would need to be in it with only a few games to go before it becomes an achievable goal under the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom