• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT18| Coming Early by L. Piscium

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fellani is so bad he just looked so sluggish and he was constantly beaten in the air.

A 40 year old Giggs was better than him and that says a lot.

Shinji has to play a bigger part next game.

Jack cw

To be honest, Robben and Ribery are showing signs of their age as well.

Really? I thought both of them were pretty good yester day. Robben and Ribery had several breakthroughs on the wings but the crosses were rather bad. There was no player in the box that acted as a striker. Müller constantly going back on CAM position was the wrong choice and none of the midfielder ran into the box to get close to a cross. Its telling when Alaba was the player most often in Uniteds box. Mandzukic should ahve been there from the begining.

Blablurn

Really? I thought both of them were pretty good yester day. Robben and Ribery had several breakthroughs on the wings but the crosses were rather bad. There was no player in the box that acted as a striker. Müller constantly going back on CAM position was the wrong choice and none of the midfielder ran into the box to get close to a cross. Its telling when Alaba was the player most often in Uniteds box. Mandzukic should ahve been there from the begining.

Really Jack? I thought Ribery was like the worst yesterday. As usual in big games he does not deliver.

Wilbur

Banned
What happened yesterday? As I said, I could not watch the game, I only had my lifescore addicts app to keep me up to date, and this app does not provide further match information beside goals and cards...

#miasanmia #fuckbla

What's the Bayern midfield next week then? Lahm and Kroos holding, Muller behind Mandu?

Blablurn

#miasanmia #fuckbla

What's the Bayern midfield next week then? Lahm and Kroos holding, Muller behind Mandu?

Müller on the bench and Götze behind Mandzu.

Neuer

Rafinha Boateng Dante Alaba

Lahm Kroos(fuck)

Robben Götze Ribery

Mandzu

Blablurn

ibp3StVhYjRgtU.gif

"Look at me when I'm talking"

Jack cw

#miasanmia #fuckbla

----------------Neuer---------------
Alaba----Boa----Dante---Rafinha
--------Lahm--------Kroos---------
----------------Götze---------------
Ribery-----Mandzukic----Robben

Still good enough.

Jack cw

Really Jack? I thought Ribery was like the worst yesterday. As usual in big games he does not deliver.

Well, he did deliver in the CL final though. The problem were the crosses. He and Robben won many one on ones on the wing but the whole pace and timing were rather bad and Müller no striker. Thats why we lacked some impact and force. I wouldn be surprised if Pep starts with Shaqiri or Pizzarro as CAM.

Jack cw

Ribery made quite a few attempts, but most of them were fruitless, I think it would've worked a lot better with a striker to pass to. You can't just run into the box with half a dozen United players in there and expect things to work out. Both just seemed not as explosive or fast as they used to, though maybe that's just a one-night bad performance.

Well, you cant be explosive when the opposition has its first line of defence 10 yards in front of their own goal. We had decent crosses to the middle but many shots were blocked and Schweini especially didnt even bother shooting from outside the box although he had space. We lacked a bottle opener with Mandzukic and he would have done way more if he had an hour more to play. I dont know why Pep brings Müller in every CL match as striker.

Wilbur

Banned

FootballFan

I really like Pep.

I don't like his tactics much as a football watcher, even if I do appreciate that they're highly effective, relatively revolutionary, and a lot of the matches are forced by the tactics of the opposition. I'd also like to see him out of his comfort zone and at a club where they're not automatically the very best around.

But I really like him.

pls it is not his fault only the best clubs want him.

Moyes was "great" at a small club, look how well he is doing now(#respect). Klopp wasn't anything special before Dortmund either, yet his status doesn't drop because of it.

I am okay with people hating his tactics and boring play, but saying he is a shit coach for example is very stupid imo.

"durr then why didn't he beat moyez" is what I expect the reply to be. Because it is football and he didn't, it happens. His team still has the advantage going into the 2nd leg.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Financial statement from Spurs and Levy today, key quotes:

“At the time of this announcement, we are in sixth position in the Premier League and it has been another season when the top four places have been fiercely contested by at least seven teams. It is no surprise that the English Premier League is the most watched League in the world as every season the fight for a top four UEFA Champions League place becomes more competitive.

“This season we have had to make significant changes, both in respect of coaching and playing staff and yet we are currently only two points less than last season’s tally. Whilst this season’s performances and results have not lived up to expectation, we believe our squad has potential and it is important that we all now show commitment and teamwork to get the best possible finish to the season.

“We have fantastic, strong support. Our current 36,000 seater stadium sells out and the waiting list for season ticket holders is currently in excess of 47,000. We cannot stress strongly enough how critical the new stadium is over the long-term to these raised expectations. We have the smallest capacity stadium of any club in the top 20 clubs in Europe, let alone the current top four Premier League clubs, and given we now operate within UEFA Financial Fair Play rules, an increased capacity stadium and associated revenues is fundamental to supporting the future ambitions and consistent achievement at the top of the game.

“Our focus therefore is to continue to invest in and develop the squad - we shall not look to a summer of major upheaval, but rather to strengthen in key positions - to play the style of football for which we are famous - and to deliver the new stadium."

Hopefully he's telling the truth about not going mad bringing in new players. We need to get more out of what we have, not go mental. Lamela is our Bale replacement and he's hardly kicked a ball, we need 2 or 3 signings in critical areas and that's it.

Wut, kaboul to do a Campbell and join Arsenal on a free transfer next season?

wut

I think his contract runs to 2015 so that would be impossible. In the past we have triggered one year extensions to players like Jenas and Assou-Ekotto, we wouldn't just let Kaboul's run down, Levy would be throwing money away by doing that.

I thought he kept possession in tight situations quite well which benefited his team-mates.

He didn't have a 'bad' game I don't watch Bayern all that often so I guess I was expecting and amazing display from him but I didn't see that. I did see Robben have a better game though.

Keeping possession is the Pep way so I wouldn't expect anything else from one of his best attracting players.

That's another thing Moyes boys could learn don't give the ball a way and yes Afro I'm looking at you.

Wilbur

Banned
pls it is not his fault only the best clubs want him.

Moyes was "great" at a small club, look how well he is doing now(#respect). Klopp wasn't anything special before Dortmund either, yet his status doesn't drop because of it.

I am okay with people hating his tactics and boring play, but saying he is a shit coach for example is very stupid imo.

"durr then why didn't he beat moyez" is what I expect the reply to be. Because it is football and he didn't, it happens. His team still has the advantage going into the 2nd leg.

I don't think he should go to a smaller club, that's out of the question. But say he joined United; he'd have City and Chelsea's riches to deal with, a resurgent Liverpool, Wenger if he commits to spending money every year... he had competition with Madrid of course but they were spending 100m a season just to keep up.

subtles

I think Guardiola's tactics would be more pleasing to the neutral if he focused on 'possessive penetration' more than the ball retention bit of his philosophy. Barcelona were wonderful to watch when they were constantly probing.

A degree of blame does lie at the feet of opposition who would rather sit back over trying to nick the ball.

FootballFan

I don't think he should go to a smaller club, that's out of the question. But say he joined United; he'd have City and Chelsea's riches to deal with, a resurgent Liverpool, Wenger if he commits to spending money every year... he had competition with Madrid of course but they were spending 100m a season just to keep up.

Yep. Well I have no problem with that statement. In fact, I respect your opinion.

I'm just saying.

Ya know what I'm saying?

subtles

The greatest football story would be Guardiola winning a CL trophy with Ajax.

:Full Circle:

After Brendan winning the PL of course.

Carbonox

I feel like singing Arabian Nights or something looking outside at the dust and the hazy sky.

Sandstorm fecal matter. In the UK. wat.

Wilbur

Banned
Hope we play Fletcher next week. Fellaini was utterly fucking useless last night, doesn't deserve to start the second leg.

Similar tactics could work, considering Bayern are at home and will push forward; obviously with the away goal all they have to do is chill but I think they'll wanna put the tie to bed. Sit Welbz on Dante's shoulder all game. I love Welbeck. Fuck h8rz innit. He can't finish for shit (except that amazing shot in the first few minutes; I was adjacent to it as it went in and I just came everywhere prematurely like Lambda). He's fast, intelligent, works hard, good close control, makes dynamite runs and always puts the team first. A real human being and a real hero.

Wilbur

Banned
Oh and Rio and Vidic were brilliant. Forgot how good it was seeing the two of them play well together. Buttner was scared at first but grew into it, Jones a trooper as always.

Rooney wasn't great. Wouldn't move wide when Welbeck went up front; that fucking free kick he played where it went straight to a Bayern centre back, dunno what the fuck that was about. Wayne please try to make me respect you once more you trout

Adnan has the Belgian flag on his shinnies?

Awwww yisss!

I hope he plays for Belgium too. It's too bad Joe Jackson is his father.

Oh and Rio and Vidic were brilliant. Forgot how good it was seeing the two of them play well together. Buttner was scared at first but grew into it, Jones a trooper as always.

Rooney wasn't great. Wouldn't move wide when Welbeck went up front; that fucking free kick he played where it went straight to a Bayern centre back, dunno what the fuck that was about. Wayne please try to make me respect you once more you trout

Wayne was one of the worst players on the pitch. Welbeck was good aside from that chance he had. Sums up Welbeck though. He can do a job on the wing for the big games, but can't finish to save his life when he has time to think.

WJD

Hope we play Fletcher next week. Fellaini was utterly fucking useless last night, doesn't deserve to start the second leg.

Similar tactics could work, considering Bayern are at home and will push forward; obviously with the away goal all they have to do is chill but I think they'll wanna put the tie to bed. Sit Welbz on Dante's shoulder all game. I love Welbeck. Fuck h8rz innit. He can't finish for shit (except that amazing shot in the first few minutes; I was adjacent to it as it went in and I just came everywhere prematurely like Lambda). He's fast, intelligent, works hard, good close control, makes dynamite runs and always puts the team first. A real human being and a real hero.

Like I said last night, depending on defensive injuries, I'd be tempted to have a midfield 3 of Kagawa, Carrick and Jones.

YES VIVIA

VIVA EVEN

I would put Jones in midfield with Carrick. Kagawa ahead of them.

Fletcher hasn't got the legs for it.

Bayern were playing within themselves at all times yesterday. Guardiola always holds back away from home in Europe in the first leg, as he should.

Last night was fun but we will be thoroughly outclassed next week unless we use the ball smartly. Need Kagawa to start.

It's a real shame Welbeck is so lacking in composure in front of goal. I had really hoped he would develop that side of his game by now but it's still not good enough. Because if it was up to scratch, not even top top level, it would really be worth playing him up front because of the way he stretches teams and makes spaces. As it is, whilst he does offer that, he still misses too offen.

Wilbur

Banned
Like I said last night, depending on defensive injuries, I'd be tempted to have a midfield 3 of Kagawa, Carrick and Jones.

Jones might be a good shout. If we're going to play like we did, maybe he can do what he did to Ronaldo. Then again we have to score... fletch might be better as he can track a man and his distribution's better.

Edit: viva agrees wiv u. Time for civil war

Is Rafa back?

Wilbur

Banned
I would put Jones in midfield with Carrick. Kagawa ahead of them.

Fletcher hasn't got the legs for it.

Bayern were playing within themselves at all times yesterday. Guardiola always holds back away from home in Europe in the first leg, as he should.

Last night was fun but we will be thoroughly outclassed next week unless we use the ball smartly. Need Kagawa to start.

It's a real shame Welbeck is so lacking in composure in front of goal. I had really hoped he would develop that side of his game by now but it's still not good enough. Because if it was up to scratch, not even top top level, it would really be worth playing him up front because of the way he stretches teams and makes spaces. As it is, whilst he does offer that, he still misses too offen.

Agreed re: Welbeck. He's got every single skill you'd want your frontman to have, except unfortunately the most important one! Good instinctive finisher but given time last night he fucked it up.

Also agreed on Kagawa. Moyes is so odd; he was our best player Saturday and improved us in possession when he came in last night (and provided good cover out wide). He probably won't start though.

Agreed re: Welbeck. He's got every single skill you'd want your frontman to have, except unfortunately the most important one! Good instinctive finisher but given time last night he fucked it up.

Also agreed on Kagawa. Moyes is so odd; he was our best player Saturday and improved us in possession when he came in last night (and provided good cover out wide). He probably won't start though.
Tbh I was amazed he even came on at HT. It honestly felt like progress.

I'm just so sad about Shinji. He is a fucking brilliant player I don't care what anyone says. Way he's been misused is heart wrenching.

Adnan Mata Kagawa interchanging. It's really not that hard. Just do it you slug.

Tbh I was amazed he even came on at HT. It honestly felt like progress.

I'm just so sad about Shinji. He is a fucking brilliant player I don't care what anyone says. Way he's been misused is heart wrenching.

Adnan Mata Kagawa interchanging. It's really not that hard. Just do it you slug.

I don't understand why Adnan wasn't given a go. Due to Bayern's style of football having so much possession in United's half, there is a lot of space behind to exploit. Adnan has the dribbling skill, intelligence, and pace to make use of that.

You could say the same for Nani really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom