• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT8| Made it to the Championship play-offs

Status
Not open for further replies.

FootballFan

It'll never happen because it has to be the FA who do it and they never will.

I am being dead serious now though, football is a multi million pound business. Across the world it is massive and there is so much money in the game. There is corruption in most walks of life, whilst in my heart I really don't think there is some kind of mass corruption taking place in the sport at the very highest level...it wouldn't really be that surprising would it?

No way man. ManUnited have not bought the refs lol.

V42Su.jpg

I wonder if referees are ever looked at for anything untoward in this country, I'm not saying money has exchanged hands or anything but when a linesman gets a decision that wrong surely they have to be looked at by a governing body or something.

Of course not.

Can you imagine the meltdown if a Moggi-Gate was ever uncovered in this country involving Man U? They've been THE BRAND within the Premier League for 20 years. I doubt there is such a thing as bribes or gifts happening within the Premier League, but refs know...

Upset Man U and you won't be in the Elite Selection much longer. You won't get the money from those games, so you're missing out. Its all about reputations. I know a Premier League ref and he said when he made the transition from Championship to Premier League the rules changed.
It was no longer refereeing a football game, but managing an 'Event'. He was suddenly aware he was in control of a multimillion pound entertainment show. You can't send off 'Player Y' as people have paid their money to come see him. See you try your best to keep him on the field.

Coincidently, when was the last time an English ref sent off Wayne Rooney... or even booked him. :)

defel

I don't dare post since there is so much subtle banter flying around in here, but this isnt a problem of bad refereeing its a problem of player cheating.

We all expect far, far too much of referees. They have an impossible, thankless task. The rules should be changed from the top down and unfortunately the referees dont have that power.

Empty

just caught the dive after easter lunch. young is an embarrassing wanker. just as i was coming to like him for his repeated match winning skills he reminds me part of why i didn't at first.

the three wrong parts of that decision, offside, dive, straight red, is pretty sad indictment of the officiating standards too.

Choc

Banned
I don't dare post since there is so much subtle banter flying around in here, but this isnt a problem of bad refereeing its a problem of player cheating.

We all expect far, far too much of referees. They have an impossible, thankless task. The rules should be changed from the top down and unfortunately the referees dont have that power.

someone gets it. :)

bjaelke

As for the much criticized sale of midfielder Alonso in the summer of 2009, Benitez explains that his plan had been to bring in both Alberto Aquilani and Stevan Jovetic. "Jovetic was our target but we didn't have the money," said Benitez. "My idea was to play Mascherano, Lucas, [Steven] Gerrard, Aquilani -- two of these four players in the middle and Jovetic between the lines, but we didn't have the money."

In theory, weren't the funds from the sale of Alonso more than enough to cover the purchase of both Aquilani and Jovetic? "You are right. In theory," is Benitez's response.
Imagine that midfield. Now I'm just going to hate H&G even more.

just caught the dive after easter lunch. young is an embarrassing wanker. just as i was coming to like him for his repeated match winning skills he reminds me part of why i didn't at first.

the three wrong parts of that decision, offside, dive, straight red, is pretty sad indictment of the officiating standards too.

Yep! Both Young and the officals are to blame for ruining this game.

The officals need technology to help, it is a hard job they do and it would make their lives (and ours) so much easier. Their standards do need to get better aswell though, there has been far too many bad decisions this season. We all saw what happened in the first half so why couln't they?

Once we have technology implemented we then need won't be able to blame human error so then the blame MUST fall on the cheating player. Hopefully then diving will become less of a part of the game. It would be nice for managers to start blaming the player now but why would they when they can use the officals as a scapegoat?

Kyoufu

He's great at nutmegs and shit. But how often does he actually contribute in a meaningful way?

edit: today I am slow.

Not often, but I think he can find consistency with a better team and coaching. He's like QPR's Ben Arfa.

Your trolling of Manchester United is so persistent I just don't know whether to believe you

Kyoufu = Vieira?

Vieira has got nothing on me.

Hixx

Hahah, got to score there man. Was just about to post about how much space and tiem QPR are giving Scholes before he made that pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom