• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT9| Dedicated to Morosini & others who didn't make it. RIP.

rodvik

As for targets in the transfer window, Jordi Alba, a striker/winger(Neymar?) and a CB.

Imho Neymar is not a Barca style player. From what I have seen of him in the GOLTV Brazillian league he doesnt have the work rate and possession philosophy Barca demands.

Honestly I think (dont laugh) Bale would be an interesting shout for Barca. His pace would also add something special to the team and he has the work ethic required. maybe not the skill though....

Dibbz

Didn't you hear? Defending isn't actually part of football, it's all about how well you can stroke the ball around in the opponents half.

Also, if you've been employing a system whereby your defenders secretly become attackers during play, the opposing team aren't allowed to acknowledge and counter this by turning attackers into defenders, because that's 'deep defending' and it's fucking blasphemy.

It was the worst defending slip up since this colossal fuck up. United v Liverpool if anyone can't be arsed to click the link.

http://youtu.be/1mHiQNuhWVo?t=1m13s

There really doesn't need to be any major changes at Barcelona. Poor finishing in the first leg and the penalty miss cost them dearly and that can happen at any team. We're just not used to seeing it from these players. The only thing to be concerned about is getting caught on the counter in both legs and against Read Madrid. I would put that down to Puyol not being as sharp and Mascherano struggling to defend under pressure. Solution: buy Thiago Silva in the summer. This will most likely happen.

Clegg

Well, at least he know he needs one. :lol
Is Alba a dead cert to Barca, you reckon?

Alba is a very good attacking fullback. But he sometimes looks a bit dodgy in defence.He has had a few horror shows for Valencia in the last few weeks. But overall he is a very good left back.

I'd love to see him replace Evra at United.

There really doesn't need to be any major changes at Barcelona. Poor finishing in the first leg and the penalty miss cost them dearly and that can happen at any team. We're just not used to seeing it from these players. The only thing to be concerned about is getting caught on the counter in both legs and against Read Madrid. I would put that down to Puyol not being as sharp and Mascherano struggling to defend under pressure. Solution: buy Thiago Silva in the summer. This will most likely happen.

Just one different player on the bench would be interesting. That's what I liked about them when they had Eto'o and Ibrahimavic - something slightly different, which allowed them a few other attacking angles. How many times did they have the ball out wide and yet cut back inside and played it back to the edge of the area?

RVP would be a great fit into Barcelona's team. Great link up man, but also a good forward/target player.

Dibbz

Just one different player on the bench would be interesting. That's what I liked about them when they had Eto'o and Ibrahimavic - something slightly different, which allowed them a few other attacking angles. How many times did they have the ball out wide and yet cut back inside and played it back to the edge of the area?

RVP would be a great fit into Barcelona's team. Great link up man, but also a good forward/target player.

That is what I'm worried about right now with Barca losing tonight. Only thing reassuring me is Ibra didn't work there and it does seem like Pep doesn't want to upset Messi by having a plan B striker but that might change this summer :(

I think the lack of what Villa offers has been heavily understated. They have missed his crucial goals and intelligence along the front.

K1LLER7

I think Barca were missing David Villa more than anything else. He would have probably finished most of the chances they had.

The defence looked nervy on set pieces and long balls, so a defender like silva would be a good buy. They also lack pace at the back imo, especially when alves runs forward, puyol,mascherano,pique,abidal etc are slow defenders, drogba was running past them and he doesn't have much pace compared to a couple of seasons back.

FootballFan

...but where does Cesc fit into this :(

Cesc is awesome but no, just as many Barca fans have always said, he should be on the bench most the time(I know how stupid this sounds considering his stats and how good he is), but he can't fit in the team anywhere with a 4-3-3 unless Iniesta takes Pedro's spot on the wing, Iniesta usually is not even half as effective there.

In fact it is because of Cesc that Pep had to even start using this 3-4-3 to try and fit him in. And it cost us.

Well, at least he know he needs one. :lol
Is Alba a dead cert to Barca, you reckon?

I hope so, he is awesome. Good technically and has experience in La Liga. Plus with Abidal(who I personally feel is the best LB out there with Marcelo) being pretty much forced to retire, we really will need someone good to replace him.

Imho Neymar is not a Barca style player. From what I have seen of him in the GOLTV Brazillian league he doesnt have the work rate and possession philosophy Barca demands.

Honestly I think (dont laugh) Bale would be an interesting shout for Barca. His pace would also add something special to the team and he has the work ethic required. maybe not the skill though....

Work rate, stamina etc can always be improved, skill/touch/brain is what matters and he has it.

Bale would be a damn good signing too but he would cost just a little less than Neymar I am guessing. So that is too much. Jordi Alba is similar and costs probably 1/5th of Bale.

I think Barca were missing David Villa more than anything else. He would have probably finished most of the chances they had.

The defence looked nervy on set pieces and long balls, so a defender like silva would be a good buy. They also lack pace at the back imo, especially when alves runs forward, puyol,mascherano,pique,abidal etc are slow defenders, drogba was running past them and he doesn't have much pace compared to a couple of seasons back.

Abidal is quick, one of the faster Barca players, and quite tall/big too. He will be sorely missed as he has been in these last couple games. :( (Drogba couldnt have been running past him, cause he wasn't playing)

edit
And again on this last point I made, Drogba has space cause there is essentially 2 defenders(Alves doesn't count) because of the 3-4-3 formation. 1 of those defenders being a Def.Mid.

I think the lack of what Villa offers has been heavily understated. They have missed his crucial goals and intelligence along the front.

He's not THAT much different. Hangs outside left looking to break inside. I guess the only difference is he's the only that has any confidence in having a go 18 yards out - often a screened shot (using the defender as cover causing the keeper to see the ball late) with his right foot around a defender into the opposite top corner.

Lightning

Banned
That is what I'm worried about right now with Barca losing tonight. Only thing reassuring me is Ibra didn't work there and it does seem like Pep doesn't want to upset Messi by having a plan B striker but that might change this summer :(
Remember Barca have Villa to come back next season. They buy Van Persie then what happens to Villa?

K1LLER7

Abidal is quick, one of the faster Barca players, and quite tall/big too. He will be sorely missed as he has been in these last couple games. :( (Drogba couldnt have been running past him, cause he wasn't playing)

oh my bad, I meant the others :)

Whats happened to Pedro this season? he doesn't seem to play that often. (from what i've seen)

Rikkun

Scoring goals has always been the most important stat in football, don't let anyone else tell you that. How you do it is down to interpretation and your team's strengths and limitations. Its a simple game really. Perhaps somewhat over complicated with the obsession on stat lines. They're great tools to have as they allow you to build a coaching plan for players and teams, and help show any improvements.

They shouldn't be used however to try and defend a team that lost a game because they couldn't score goals. 1000 passes mean very little if you never scored a goal. 1 pass 1 shot 1 goal might seem very direct and boring, but if that wins you the game then you've succeeded in playing football.
It might not be pretty, or artistic. It might not get the neutrals out of their seats purring over your playing style, but your fanbase and teammates won't care about that - because you've won the game.

There is nothing wrong with sitting deep on the 18 yard box, compact as team unit defending the narrow passing lanes down the middle. Nothing wrong with that at all, certainly not if the team you're playing against are known for playing narrow and attacking through the middle.
Sure Barcelona have people on the flanks to provide width, but its not true width. Its a draw tactic to cause the defensive unit to shift to the left or the right opening space down the inside right or left channel to slip a ball into after a quick switch of play. They won't look to get the ball on the flanks and cross it into the box. The best you can hope for is the fullback will run with the ball, cut into the box before pulling the ball back to the edge of the 18 yard box.

There's also nothing wrong with standing off the ball and waiting on the 18 yard box. Certainly not if the opposition never take long range efforts - why close them down? Why leave your compact defensive unit to close down that player on the ball 20 yards out from goal if he's not going to shoot? He wants you to come and close him down. He wants you to create a gap in that compact wall your team mates have created. Its another draw tactic.

There's nothing wrong with counter attacking football either. Greece won the Euros playing counter attacking football. Sure no-one really remembers that outside of Greece, and it was considered 'ugly'. Do you think the people of Greece care about that? Of course not, they won the Euros.

Score goals.
Play to your strengths.
Play towards the opposition's weakness.

Only have yourselves to blame. The Vitriol your fans showed with that silly banner. Had no idea Villa were even like that.

Well yeah, may be boring to watch and if you play against Barca for example you'll need a HUGE amount of luck. But if you succeed why not. It becomes unbearable to me when the top team plays against sides who prefer to park the bus not even trying to score because they just want their single point.

BTW guys Avengers is awesome.

Dibbz

Cesc is awesome but no, just as many Barca fans have always said, he should be on the bench most the time(I know how stupid this sounds considering his stats and how good he is), but he can't fit in the team anywhere with a 4-3-3 unless Iniesta takes Pedro's spot on the wing, Iniesta usually is not even half as effective there.

In fact it is because of Cesc that Pep had to even start using this 3-4-3 to try and fit him in. And it cost us.

Are you serious???

tumblr_m2vd3yDaZ71rqwxwro1_500.gif

Personally I feel fast defenders aren't as tactically astute. What you lack in you tend to compensate for. Tony Adams is a good example. Chelsea's defence isn't exactly known for their pace.

FootballFan

^^Yes dibbz I am serious lol. Cesc can't start in a 4-3-3 unless xavi/iniesta are injured or if Iniesta is playing at LW(where he is usually useless)

My point about the formation is, just like the old saying, why fix something when it isn't broken. Or however it goes. 4-3-3 always worked for Pep.

edit Oh the saying is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." lol I was a bit off. :p

oh my bad, I meant the others :)

Whats happened to Pedro this season? he doesn't seem to play that often. (from what i've seen)

Forgot to mention, dont forget Pique got knocked out by Valdes lol. His height would have helped.

Pedro has been dreadful in La Liga but lethal in the CL(5 goals I think). A player who always pops up for us to score, whether its in the CL final, against Inter, in El Clasico, EuroSuperCup final, ClubWorldCup etc but Pep decided for Cuenca, then Tello instead. :(

GorillaJu

The biggest problem I have with RAWK is the moderation.

Posters are banned very easily for the most innocuous things.

Criticism of Kenny Dalglish is a big no-no and people get banned for questioning his tactics. Its a discussion forum where discussion isn't actually allowed.

And there are some genuine crazies too.

Some very good threads on tactics though.

The problem with the moderation is lack of consistency and egos. You can absolutely criticize Kenny (a lot of people do), but if you say something at the wrong time and the mods are in a bad mood you can get banned just like that. It's awful. It's not like Gaf, where you could argue with Amirox to the death and be ok so long as you don't use pejoratives or break other rules.

Other than that, Arnie has made two top quality posts. Absolutely spot on where I'm concerned.

Dibbz

The problem with the moderation is lack of consistency and egos. You can absolutely criticize Kenny (a lot of people do), but if you say something at the wrong time and the mods are in a bad mood you can get banned just like that. It's awful. It's not like Gaf, where you could argue with Amirox to the death and be ok so long as you don't use pejoratives or break other rules.

Other than that, Arnie has made two top quality posts. Absolutely spot on where I'm concerned.

I got banned by Amirox for saying I liked DmC. Thank fuck he got demodded.

I got banned by Amirox for saying I liked DmC. Thank fuck he got demodded.

deserved that ban, imo

Seriously though, GAF has had lots of shit mods. Even mods that let their boyfriends use their mod accounts and what not as Evilore explained in another thread.... Yeah that isn't great, lol, random "anyone who posts anything about XXXX after this post will get a 6 months ban".

He's not THAT much different. Hangs outside left looking to break inside. I guess the only difference is he's the only that has any confidence in having a go 18 yards out - often a screened shot (using the defender as cover causing the keeper to see the ball late) with his right foot around a defender into the opposite top corner.

Yeah, I wasn't saying he was too different to what Tello and Cuenca offer on the left. But neither of these players had good games and Villa is better in every area. He's definitely a big-game player.

I think tonight there wasn't a great balance to the side either. And they needed a lot more natural width than they had, with players hugging the touchline to stretch their defence. That might have created a few more gaps. They moved the ball too slowly in the final third as well, probably a result of these players not wanting to risk giving the ball away. Tongiht, I think most other sides would have got players out wide, just kept whipping crosses into the box and probably would have been more successful going forward. I don't think Barcelona ever believed they could do that, or that they had to players to do so against such a tall and compact defence.

Dibbz

deserved that ban, imo

Seriously though, GAF has had lots of shit mods. Even mods that let their boyfriends use their mod accounts and what not as Evilore explained in another thread.... Yeah that isn't great, lol, random "anyone who posts anything about XXXX after this post will get a 6 months ban".

If you weren't an Arsenal fan I would say you deserved a ban for that. lol

screw you all

srs

Tameem is the greatest. Long live Tameem.

Kyoufu

Funny thing is, Chelsea could have countered like that all game long but Drogba was too deep.

Ronaldo would have had a field day in that game.

rodvik

Only have yourselves to blame. The Vitriol your fans showed with that silly banner. Had no idea Villa were even like that.

Neither did most of us to be honest. Anyways its now a "thing" between the two clubs. Should be enjoyable showing up vulture like when things go tits up for Newcastle, adds to the spice of football :)

Birmingham are obviously irredeemable.

Lightning

Banned
Looking at the fixtures Aston Villa have got themselves into a mess. Away to West Brom and Norwich will not be easy and your only home game is against Spurs. By my reckoning I think Villa need 3 more points to ensure they will not be relegated and your fixtures are not easy.

Now what the hell has McLeish done here....

rodvik

Looking at the fixtures Aston Villa have got themselves into a mess. Away to West Brom and Norwich will not be easy and your only home game is against Spurs. By my reckoning I think Villa need 3 more points to ensure they will not be relegated and your fixtures are not easy.

Now what the hell has McLeish done here....

Yup. I think we are going down. All Lerners fault. He was warned and has ignored it all season. Even tonight apparently he said he supports mcleish. Amazing. It will go down as one of the worst manager appointments ever.

I vehemently disagree.

The irony of the argument is it's proponents suggest that football is too obsessed with the singular metric of putting the ball in the net, but allocating points for retaining the ball, or successfully passing the ball is as similarly linear.

If we're going to distill football into this pseudo sport where tonight Barcelona would've won, despite the fact that they were tactically inept, unable to offer a plan B, and at one point allowed an attacker to run free from his own half to score a goal, then I'm out.

In my opinion Chelsea were the better team tonight. They executed their gameplan to a greater degree than Barca, who were once again out of ideas. And people seem to indicate that this 'deep defending' is easy, which is frankly, bullshit. Just ask Real Madrid, who've been trying to outmuscle and soak up Barcelona for years to little success.

This week has shown that Barcelona aren't invincible; by the points suggested in that post, they would be. And that's not a sport.

This debate isn't about the performance but rather the approach, and so in that regard the inept display by Barcelona is as relevant to this point as the courageous showing by Chelsea - in other words, very little. The only reason these metrics of ball possession and shots are meaningful in this context is that illustrate the intent of both sides; one wanted to score, the other wanted to defend.

Rather than a contest for the ball, Chelsea turned it into a contest of territory to give themselves an inherent advantage when it came to defending. If every match was carried out like this, then I wouldn't have become a fan of this sport and I'd imagine many would share that sentiment. The real irony is the team that wanted to win more, and should have done were it not for divine intervention, actually lost and one side is being celebrated for their defensive performance, even though being gaped wide countless times with only the post or crossbar saving them, and then spoken of as deserved winners despite showing no real intent to go forward and score themselves. No wonder the Catalan's decry injustice

Then again we have completely different ideas to what football is

Blackhead

Redarse
This debate isn't about the performance but rather the approach, and so in that regard the inept display by Barcelona is as relevant to this point as the courageous showing by Chelsea - in other words, very little. The only reason these metrics of ball possession and shots are meaningful in this context is that illustrate the intent of both sides; one wanted to score, the other wanted to defend.

Rather than a contest for the ball, Chelsea turned it into a contest of territory to give themselves an inherent advantage when it came to defending. If every match was carried out like this, then I wouldn't have become a fan of this sport and I'd imagine many would share that sentiment.
Chelsea wanted to score. They scored more goals than Barcelona in the tie...
Another interesting perspective:
Qwe said:
Aiming to maintain 70-80% possession is just as “anti-football” as parking the bus. When carried to an extreme(like Barca have) it negates the competitive spirit of the sport. This is the exact reason why basketball has a shot clock.

Seanspeed

Banned
I was really hoping for Barca to make it through. Its a fantastic acheivement for Chelsea to beat them like they did, but I dont think they'll pull off another miracle against Bayern or Real. Tomorrow will pretty much be the decider. Should be a fantastic game, though.

Top Bottom