• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT9| Dedicated to Morosini & others who didn't make it. RIP.

GorillaJu

I think what is amazing is how Chelsea - Real then Chelsea again simply surrendered the width and Barcelona didnt know what to do with it. Several times Barcelona was given just perfect long cross opportunities and they refused to take them, just short pass it back to center to try and unlock the front door again.

I am surprised Pep didnt come up with a counter.

Mr Cox argued that this is what Keita was brought on for. Pique can fill the "big man up front" role but he went off injured early on and was replaced by Alves.

elsk

Banned
Barcelona played like any other team using possession football without Messi. The Barcelona difference is Messi, and when he's missing Barcelona is just like any other top team. Also, it looks like they don't have any intention to do something "outside the box" (heh, see what I did there?)... they stick with their plan no matter what.

rodvik

Mr Cox argued that this is what Keita was brought on for. Pique can fill the "big man up front" role but he went off injured early on and was replaced by Alves.

It makes sense. It as telling that Puyol was sent into the box as a battering ram late in the game as well.

By the way, its heart warming that Di Matteo who was sacked for being not good enough at West Brom last season has guided this team to the CL final. Dream story for him.

Barcelona played like any other team using possession football without Messi. The Barcelona difference is Messi, and when he's missing Barcelona is just like any other top team. Also, it looks like they don't have any intention to do something "outside the box" (heh, see what I did there?)... they stick with their plan no matter what.

lolz

pulga

Banned

This. Same thing I said a couple pages back. Barca got lucky with Messi. Just look at Arselol in the PL.

Lightning

Banned
I feel that Inestia is in a different class to any other attacking midfielder in the world. In my opinion he is the real difference maker and just an unbelieveable talent. Combine him with Messi and that is the main reason Barcelona cannot be matched in attack prowess.

elsk

Banned
This. Same thing I said a couple pages back. Barca got lucky with Messi. Just look at Arselol in the PL.

Nope. The problem is Barcelona sticking with just one way of making goals. You know, look for other options not just passing the ball around. I haven't watched Arsenal this season, but the last season they played good football without being completely null in ideas like Barcelona was yesterday.

This Barcelona is exactly like the Louis van Gaal's Bayern 10/11. No ideas, just pass the ball around for 90 minutes.

Possession football is good, but you need to know what to do with the ball when you have it. Barcelona relies in having Messi doing incredible things, but when he's out of form they fail to make something good with the possession.

Fry

Yeah, Barca were really lacking creativity yesterday. Though being behind in a semi-final is a tough situation, the other team can just put all their players to defend and that's what Chelsea did. But Barca just kept passing the ball outside the box, with little intention of shooting without being 5 feet from the goal. All their crosses were useless too (they don't even cross from corners).

elsk

Banned
ArTjYRDCQAAfjWP.jpg

ArTjxsACIAAUmWI.jpg

The fans are at the Munich airport right now to flight to Madrid :D

Man... I wish I could be there too.

sneaky77

Nope. The problem is Barcelona sticking with just one way of making goals. You know, look for other options not just passing the ball around. I haven't watched Arsenal this season, but the last season they played good football without being completely null in ideas like Barcelona was yesterday.

This Barcelona is exactly like the Louis van Gaal's Bayern 10/11. No ideas, just pass the ball around for 90 minutes.

Possession football is good, but you need to know what to do with the ball when you have it. Barcelona relies in having Messi doing incredible things, but when he's out of form they fail to make something good with the possession.

I dont know man, when the other team has 10 players in their box what other chance do they have than trying to find a hole somewhere by passing it around?

neoanarch

I just realized this CL is going down exactly like my old FM save. AVB gets fired but Chelsea made and won the final anyway

They also got devastated in the Club World Cup a few months later.

elsk

Banned
I dont know man, when the other team has 10 players in their box what other chance do they have than trying to find a hole somewhere by passing it around?

They had a lot of chances to make long distance shots. I'm pretty sure players like Messi, Xavi can make a freaking long shot.
If it was impossible to score against 10 players defending then football wouldn't make sense at all. All the teams would make a goal and then defend with 10 players.

Afrikan

imagepng-2.png

Cousin from Africa just texted me this.....i don't know if he knew these kids..or if this is from an old pic from the internet.

GorillaJu

Yeah, Barca were really lacking creativity yesterday. Though being behind in a semi-final is a tough situation, the other team can just put all their players to defend and that's what Chelsea did. But Barca just kept passing the ball outside the box, with little intention of shooting without being 5 feet from the goal. All their crosses were useless too (they don't even cross from corners).

We're in a similar situation with Liverpool in that we just never have any ideas to beat a bus parked in front of goal. Except we have a better team with Hendiesta, Spearavi and Suassi

Sloosha

Precisely. Without the threat of shots outside the box, Chelsea were never forced to break shape to close down players on the edge of the box.

We'll have a much harder time defending against either Bayern or Real, I imagine. Oh well, still feels a little surreal that we made it to the final.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
That tells me more about Barcelona's simple-mindedness in approaching the goal than about Chelsea's turtling tactics. Who's the one at fault here?

This is like people complaining about not being able to land a hit against a TIGER SHOT-spamming Sagat in Street Fighter.

Sloosha

That tells me more about Barcelona's simple-mindedness in approaching the goal than about Chelsea's turtling tactics. Who's the one at fault here?

This is like people complaining about not being able to land a hit against a TIGER SHOT-spamming Sagat in Street Fighter.

LOL. Are we talking about vanilla Sagat though.

TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER ... Uppercut!

I guess Chelsea was holding block in the corner and only doing leg sweep + hadou/shoryuken combinations when they got an opening.

Some please insert Valdes-tigerknee.gif here.

Barcelona-TigerUppercut videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTMA5og-Wwo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1uqi8Z_L10

Wilbur

Banned
I don't get why people are criticising the approach Chelsea took. This season they've played high lines, built from the back, varied their play and got fucked repeatedly in the Premier League.

The only times I've seen Barcelona lose in the last few years is if they're complacent and turn up assuming they're going to win (see the Osasuna match a few weeks ago, they barely tried until they had let in the third. Their talent is good enough for them to go through the motions a lot) or if someone nullifies their tiki taka. I think Madrid on Saturday and Inter's first leg a few years ago were better performances, but - especially in Madrid's case - they had players that break fast, defenders with pace that can adapt to high lines... The last few matches when Madrid have attacked and caught Barcelona unawares is a mixture of Barca assuming Madrid are bitch made for them and because with Madrid's strengths they were in a position to nullify them. Chelsea don't have those strengths. Why lie back and take it up the bumhole strictly so Ruud Gullit can say the four times they got in Barca's half trying to retain the ball was nevertheless pretty despite a 5-1 loss?

protonion

I don't care about Chelsea but, karma is a bitch.
I was so disgusted with that game a few years back.
The God of football never forgets!

SPluN.jpg

Sloosha

I don't get why people are criticising the approach Chelsea took. This season they've played high lines, built from the back, varied their play and got fucked repeatedly in the Premier League.

The only times I've seen Barcelona lose in the last few years is if they're complacent and turn up assuming they're going to win (see the Osasuna match a few weeks ago, they barely tried until they had let in the third. Their talent is good enough for them to go through the motions a lot) or if someone nullifies their tiki taka. I think Madrid on Saturday and Inter's first leg a few years ago were better performances, but - especially in Madrid's case - they had players that break fast, defenders with pace that can adapt to high lines... The last few matches when Madrid have attacked and caught Barcelona unawares is a mixture of Barca assuming Madrid are bitch made for them and because with Madrid's strengths they were in a position to nullify them. Chelsea don't have those strengths. Why lie back and take it up the bumhole strictly so Ruud Gullit can say the four times they got in Barca's half trying to retain the ball was nevertheless pretty despite a 5-1 loss?

Sorry didn't read a thing you said. Too busy laughing at Bosingwa's face.

rodvik

No criticism here. I thought Chelsea played a fantastic game.

I do have the sense that maybe, just maybe, Mou in particular has figured out how to unlock the Barcelona problem and its the notion of surrendering space wide.

My hope is that Pep will come back next year with an even more advanced style that will dazzle us all. Would be amazing to see if he can reinvent that team. Fergie does it with ManU every few years, maybe pep can do it too?

pulga

Banned
Arselol, the team sitting third despite losing their best player last year and nearly half their starting team to injuries?

The team who's been trophyless since..200-what now? Yes, Arselol.

Point of this was, Barca's been steamrolling the opposition BECAUSE of Messi, not because they play "possesion" football. When Messi's mediocre, Barca's mediocre.

The football gods will truly be master comedians if Di Matteo wins the Champions League, the one trophy that Roman covets the most, in the same season that Villas-Boas got sacked.

Sloosha

The football gods will truly be master comedians if Di Matteo wins the Champions League, the one trophy that Roman covets the most, in the same season that Villas-Boas got sacked.

Torres scoring was incontrovertible evidence that the football gods have a sense of humor. Also Terry's red card I guess.

rodvik

Torres scoring was incontrovertible evidence that the football gods have a sense of humor. Also Terry's red card I guess.

Such a strange goal, he was only there because he messed up a break and didnt track back quickly like Drogba had been.

Cool as you like finish though. Cant take that away from him.

Sloosha

Such a strange goal, he was only there because he messed up a break and didnt track back quickly like Drogba had been.

Cool as you like finish though. Cant take that away from him.

I'm still amazed he managed to run half the length of the pitch without falling over.

Top Bottom