• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT9| Dedicated to Morosini & others who didn't make it. RIP.

Moobabe

doesnt work

nt36xkij:tw1

I need feedback on my above post please. I need to know whether I am a tactical genius

Re: Torres

It's not like he scored the winning goal. Chelsea were a minute away from winning and were comfortable defending with Barca deflated. Torres just ended the match 60 seconds early.

Salazar

I need feedback on my above post please. I need to know whether I am a tactical genius

I would call it back for obstruction and book you for being a cheeky shite.

Only one of those players can be in control of or in a controlling relation to the ball at any time; the others can fuck off, or at least cannot contrive to get in the way in an extended fashion.

Fintan

They may have a few suspensions but thats a pretty good line-up. Essien and Torres on the bench too but I hope he starts
Yeah, Essien, Torres and Romeu will be good options off the bench.
I don't see Sturridge starting over Torres after that goal.

Gotta try and capitalise on his confidence rather than benching him and losing any kind of momentum.

Also, Torres scoring a hattrick against a possible Spanish side would be amazing lol.

Despite Torres having some success out on the right this season (see his cross for Mata against United) I would still much rather see him coming on for Drogba than starting out right.

Well I don't know why you took issue with what I said then. It seems I am forever in your crosshairs.
Because we had all concluded that JT is a cunt. That had long been established. I was at that point trying to tell other posters that calling somebody a racist before they have been convicted is foolish.

You had put great effort in to your post, which is typical of you when it comes to talking down all thing Chelsea. I quoted you to explaining that we don't don't need any more JT's a cunt talk because we were currently on to the why not to call him a racist.

Then I made the comment about you being a Spurs fan for obvious reason.

I took issue with it because it's so typically you. And you couldn't let a Chelsea / JT are cunts conversation go by without throwing in your two cents. Which by this point is old hat because we all know how you feel.

Some random points

1. Football (or soccer) is the only major sport where you can absolutely dominate and yet end up on the losing side. If Barca put an equivalent performance in NBA they would be 100-50 up by half time. If Barca put the same performance in NFL they would be 40-0 up. The problem with soccer is that your imperfections are not rewarded (there is no field goal). You get rewarded by only putting the ball in the back of the net. Fifa has really been ruined by Sepp Blatter and an organization stuck in middle ages. Teams which dominate should be rewarded. Innovative strategies to increase goal scoring is not encouraged or endorsed by Fifa. This results in laughable games like today where one team puts 10 people in the box and still ends up successful

2. Teams have started to figure out the strategy to defeat Barca. A combination of bad pitch and parked bus will do the job. Barca doesn't have a strong set piece attack neither does it take shots from outside the box. Just crowding the 18 yard box and conceding the midfield seems to get the job done these days. Point to ponder on whether a regular 4-4-2 type traditional formation would open up more space. Real Madrid is a good example of a side that plays direct football with traditional CFs and are equally successful. I wonder whether Pep will move in that direction next year.

3. What's the point of this game. Football is a sport and we are supposed to be entertained. How is stacking the box and defending since the 0" entertaining anyone. How is bettering the footballing experience?

Did read that gem though.

The whole opposing team would also surround the players, and they can coerce movement of the defenders and break into the circle. Also, conceding a free kick through an offside or foul would mean that this circle would have to reform, and this is a trick that would only work if the other team wasn't expecting it.

Sorry for being a dreamcrusher.

How is it obstruction when you're not physically touching the opponent? Lol Chelsea were obstructing Barca all night.

Also the other players would be in a offside position. While maybe not touching the ball they would no doubt influence the play. ;)

But eh, it is an obstruction.

"The Obstruction rule. As soon as you physically impede a player, while not playing the ball yourself, it's a foul."

The whole opposing team would also surround the players, and they can coerce movement of the defenders and break into the circle. Also, conceding a free kick through an offside or foul would mean that this circle would have to reform, and this is a trick that would only work if the other team wasn't expecting it.

Sorry for being a dreamcrusher.

Fuck.

Re: Torres

It's not like he scored the winning goal. Chelsea were a minute away from winning and were comfortable defending with Barca deflated. Torres just ended the match 60 seconds early.
I'm a Torres fan myself. Really like the guy despite his short comings. But I agree with this. On the Chelsea forum I post on there are some pretty vocal Torres haters. I'm talking people who just can't have the guy at all. Then he score tonight and they're now getting on like he's a hero.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad he scored. It was a nice goal that made the last few seconds easier for fans and I'm sure it was great for him. But I can't understand how this would be the thing that turns people from hating him to loving him.

GorillaJu

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't a game still go to extra time if a team is winning by the away goal rule?

The away goals prevent it from going to penalties, but Torres saved Chelsea from 30 more minutes of 10v11 against Barcelona. Or am I misunderstanding the rule?

Moobabe

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't a game still go to extra time if a team is winning by the away goal rule?

The away goals prevent it from going to penalties, but Torres saved Chelsea from 30 more minutes of 10v11 against Barcelona. Or am I misunderstanding the rule?

It takes effect at the end of the 90 iirc.

Kyoufu

Away goals mean victory.

Because we had all concluded that JT is a cunt. That had long been established. I was at that point trying to tell other posters that calling somebody a racist before they have been convicted is foolish.

You had put great effort in to your post, which is typical of you when it comes to talking down all thing Chelsea. I quoted you to explaining that we don't don't need any more JT's a cunt talk because we were currently on to the why not to call him a racist.

Then I made the comment about you being a Spurs fan for obvious reason.

I took issue with it because it's so typically you. And you couldn't let a Chelsea / JT are cunts conversation go by without throwing in your two cents. Which by this point is old hat because we all know how you feel.

I don't think we had all concluded that. I don't think some people grasped exactly why he is universally disliked, so I took time to explain. To be honest, it doesn't feel great to know that the reasons for which you took exception to my post were personal.

I thought it only went to extra time if the aggregate score was drawn.

I don't think we had all concluded that. I don't think some people grasped exactly why he is universally disliked, so I took time to explain. To be honest, it doesn't feel great to know that the reasons for which you took exception to my post were personal.
How had we not?

There were a bunch of people calling him a cunt. Me and and another Chelsea fan agreeing but conceding that all fans like their own cuntish players. Nobody was disputing that. The only person it could even be said was denying JT was a cunt was me as I was half way defending him in regard to his not finalised race charge. But by that stage I had at least 5 times said that yeah, JT's a cunt. In fact, a few other posters had pointed out I had done so.

So who was confused?

Fintan

The rules vary from tournament to tournament. In the Champions League away goals mean no extra time.

If I remember correctly your rules apply in the Carling Cup and maybe others.

Did read that gem though.

Some random points
1. Football (or soccer) is the only major sport where you can absolutely dominate and yet end up on the losing side. If Barca put an equivalent performance in NBA they would be 100-50 up by half time. If Barca put the same performance in NFL they would be 40-0 up. The problem with soccer is that your imperfections are not rewarded (there is no field goal). You get rewarded by only putting the ball in the back of the net. Fifa has really been ruined by Sepp Blatter and an organization stuck in middle ages. Teams which dominate should be rewarded. Innovative strategies to increase goal scoring is not encouraged or endorsed by Fifa. This results in laughable games like today where one team puts 10 people in the box and still ends up successful

2. Teams have started to figure out the strategy to defeat Barca. A combination of bad pitch and parked bus will do the job. Barca doesn't have a strong set piece attack neither does it take shots from outside the box. Just crowding the 18 yard box and conceding the midfield seems to get the job done these days. Point to ponder on whether a regular 4-4-2 type traditional formation would open up more space. Real Madrid is a good example of a side that plays direct football with traditional CFs and are equally successful. I wonder whether Pep will move in that direction next year.

3. What's the point of this game. Football is a sport and we are supposed to be entertained. How is stacking the box and defending since the 0" entertaining anyone. How is bettering the footballing experience?

I absolutely agree with it. I can understand 'deep defending', particularly at the latter stages of the game, but to revert to it from the kick off? There is something rotten in the state of the sport when it comes to that and I simply have no respect for people who attempt to invoke an equivocation between that and the styles that actually use 11 men in different positions

GorillaJu

The rules vary from tournament to tournament. In the Champions League away goals mean no extra time.

If I remember correctly your rules apply in the Carling Cup and maybe others.

Okay, got it.

So it was basically decapitating an already dead body. Well done Torres, filthy traitorous butcher.

ElyrionX

Lol Barca. Now will their fans finally just goddamn shut up and stop assuming that they will steamroll any and all teams they play?

Also it's incredible how many people had so easily written Chelsea off after they made the semis, knowing that they would face Barca.

How had we not?

There were a bunch of people calling him a cunt. Me and and another Chelsea fan agreeing but conceding that all fans like their own cuntish players. Nobody was disputing that. The only person it could even be said was denying JT was a cunt was me as I was half way defending him in regard to his not finalised race charge. But by that stage I had at least 5 times said that yeah, JT's a cunt. In fact, a few other posters had pointed out I had done so.

So who was confused?

As I said, you seem to have a problem with me so I think we should leave it. This is going nowhere fast and it's probably pissing other people off as well. For the record, I don't have any problems with you.

As I said, you seem to have a problem with me so I think we should leave it. This is going nowhere fast and it's probably pissing other people off as well. For the record, I don't have any problems with you.
I'm happy to end it. But I think you ending this where you have, does in fact go to show that there was no confusion and that your post was exactly what I said it was.

I have no problem with you either. I actually find a lot of your posts good reads. But as I've said to you before. You do come across as really anti-Chelsea, and it shows in a lot of your posts. It's fine for you to be that way, but that's why I pull these things up.

Top Bottom