• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT9| Dedicated to Morosini & others who didn't make it. RIP.

dc89

BBC have got a short video of Sheikh Mansour and his opinions on City's season.

Also, they have totted up the spending on players:

Robinho £32.5m
Wayne Bridge Undisclosed, reportedly £12m
Craig Bellamy Undisc, £14m
Nigel de Jong Undisc, £18m
Shay Given Undisc, £5.9m
Roque Santa Cruz £18m
Gareth Barry £12m
Carlos Tevez £25.5m
Emmanuel Adebayor £25m
Kolo Toure £14m
Joleon Lescott £22m
Adam Johnson Undisc, £7m
Jerome Boateng Undisc, £10.4m
David Silva £24m
Yaya Toure £24m
Aleksandar Kolarov £16m
Mario Balotelli £24m
James Milner £18m plus Stephen Ireland
Edin Dzeko £27m
Gael Clichy £7m
Stefan Savic £6m
Sergio Aguero £38m
Samir Nasri £25m
Total: £425.3m

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17820496

pappe

I can come to only 1 conclusion behind the reason for Barca not winning any meaningful trophy this season.

And that
The CURSE OF CESC FABREGAS!!!!!!!

That guy is destined not to win anything meaningful.

Lightning

Banned
25mil for Nasri? LOL Thank you Man City.

This Pearce is a fruitcake. How the hell can Wilshere go to the Olympics? Guy is not in his right mind... Arsenal need to put the hard word on Jack. We've already paid his freaking wages for the past year that he hasn't played.

dc89

25mil for Nasri? LOL Thank you Man City.

This Pearce is a fruitcake. How the hell can Wilshere go to the Olympics? Guy is not in his right mind... Arsenal need to put the hard word on Jack. We've already paid his freaking wages for the past year that he hasn't played.

Would you accept a similar amount for RVP, not saying it will be from City though.

Lightning

Banned
Would you accept a similar amount for RVP, not saying it will be from City though.
Hell no....

RVP's goals are worth more than 25mil. 30mil + for RVP and then he can go. I really REALLY want him to sign though... he has 3-4 quality years ahead of him and in that time he can score over 200+(his career tally for Arsenal) goals for us. Come on RVP and sign.

caramac

One things for sure, Gary Neville should be kept away from the commentary box. There was an Andy Gray/Gerrard/Olympiakos moment there for the taking when Torres scored.

5Fft3.jpg

Awesome

Neither did most of us to be honest. Anyways its now a "thing" between the two clubs. Should be enjoyable showing up vulture like when things go tits up for Newcastle, adds to the spice of football :)

Birmingham are obviously irredeemable.

Personally? Couldn't care less about Villa. Wouldn't glory in their relegation and wouldn't care if they sat mid-bottom table the rest of their Premiership life. Very confused as to why a fanbase in the midlands would be so happy to see a team in North-East relegated and celebrate it like the high point of their season. Sunderland fans I can understand, Villa fans? Meh.

Here in Germany we really care about the reasons that the UK does not care about the WC! :)

haha

Well, I can't speak for everyone but I don't really care for the England Squad aka London City United (with guest appearances from Manchester). Very few likeable players, most already have their excuses ready for why they appeared to not give 100% - always someone else's fault. We had no rest. etc.

raiot

The funny thing is, i don't "hate" the english football team... The only thing why i care about this rivalry is that i really hate the depiction of us in the english yellow press...

Salazar

Well, I can't speak for everyone but I don't really care for the England Squad aka London City United (with guest appearances from Manchester).

Who could they select to get you interested ?

Chriswok's Northern Quota Compliant England 11*.

*Excluding players from that club what has won the league lots recently.

Choc

Banned
Real Madrid winger Cristiano Ronaldo insists his team will overcome a one-goal deficit and beat Bayern Munich in the Champions League semi-finals.

sounds like pep 24 hours ago

spanish teams never learn

Who could they select to get you interested ?

Chriswok's Northern Quota Compliant England 11*.

*Excluding players from that club what has won the league lots recently.

No-one really. Might have a slight interest if Steven Taylor was selected, but there's a remote chance of that. There is a strong belief that Taylor will be asked to try and get fit for the GB Squad.

When was the last time an England manager even came to the North-East to watch a game? Teams are were/are in good form, they have several England eligible players. No interest. Sure the argument is he can see more games if he stays South, but not 1 appearance at a game in 5 seasons? Its always the same players, regardless of form. Its always the players with 'reputation'. Scott Parker as Captain pretty much shows me that nothing is going to change - He's 'Mr. Reputation'.

The England games are played in London, its not even the most central location within the Country. Sure its the Capital, but why should that be the deciding factor? Its a NATIONAL team. We've had this discussion plenty of times already.

Shola Ameobi is pretty much declared for Nigeria. He had a call up and was about to play for them, but picked up an injury. There's a few youth players in the England setups - be interesting to see if they progress.

GorillaJu

No-one really. Might have a slight interest if Steven Taylor was selected, but there's a remote chance of that. There is a strong belief that Taylor will be asked to try and get fit for the GB Squad.

When was the last time an England manager even came to the North-East to watch a game? Teams are were/are in good form, they have several England eligible players. No interest. Sure the argument is he can see more games if he stays South, but not 1 appearance at a game in 5 seasons? Its always the same players, regardless of form. Its always the players with 'reputation'. Scott Parker as Captain pretty much shows me that nothing is going to change - He's 'Mr. Reputation'.

The England games are played in London, its not even the most central location within the Country. Sure its the Capital, but why should that be the deciding factor? Its a NATIONAL team. We've had this discussion plenty of times already.

Shola Ameobi is pretty much declared for Nigeria. He had a call up and was about to play for them, but picked up an injury. There's a few youth players in the England setups - be interesting to see if they progress.

I'm not English, but it would seem a bit cynical to me that despite the fact that only one team from London has been a footballing force in the long term, cup finals, national games, and managers don't go outside of the capital.

One would only have to look at the two most decorated teams to have an idea of where the football tradition is strongest...

I'm honestly only interested in England games when we go experimental and try new/young players. Often prefer watching the U21s although I don't love the way Pearce has them playing a lot of the time.

I'm honestly only interested in England games when we go experimental and try new/young players. Often prefer watching the U21s although I don't love the way Pearce has them playing a lot of the time.

Ancient tactics for a technically superior selection of players (compared to previous England teams). Direct balls into the channels. Come on...

Moobabe

Agreed - there's some good kids out there - Kyle Walker, Josh McEachran, Sturridge, Welbeck, Sinclair, Rodwell, Smalling, Jones etc (although I appreciate some have gone on to the senior side now) - just a shame we don't have any tactical nous whatsoever.

Kenka

Back from the dead ! Recently, a GAFfer had a problem with his sister who repeatedly fainted right ? I can't find the post now but I wanted also to encourage our buddy.

Also, Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeern !

Blablurn

Back from the dead ! Recently, a GAFfer had a problem with his sister who repeatedly fainted right ? I can't find the post now but I wanted also to encourage our buddy.

Also, Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeern !

omg, kenka. good timing. why did u got banned in the first place?

All three of them?

:trollface:

all three bayern supporters :D the rest probably hates me now.

/XX/

Well, my words of encouragement last week didn't have much effect... but I'll keep trying:

'Hoy el careto de Juanito les hará recordar el verdadero miedo escénico, ¡a por ellos!'

And talking about Juanito, as elsk has shown us here he was capable of terrible things, his temperament made him do either the best or the worst things, but his boldness was an attribute I would like to see more today, with a little self-control of course.

My father always told me that in the regular meetings of the 'Asociación de Futbolistas Españoles' (AFE), the Spanish professional footballer association, he was one of the great and famous players that was always willing to chitchat with everyone and to know how they were doing even if they were from inferior categories, and humbly showed a real interest and willingness to help the majority of his colleagues unlike some of the habitual posers (in Spanish I would have said 'figurines') with superiority complex from the eventual big clubs. This down-to-earth but unrestrained nature was a double-edged sword but also made him an unique symbol of courage.

'Illa, illa, illa... Juanito maravilla.'

Oxx

I liked how Terry kept going on about how it looked in the replay rather than talking about what he actually did.

WJD

Can't help but find the complaints about Chelsea's play utterly comical.

Football is about playing to your strengths and playing to your opposition's weaknesses, which Chelsea managed to do very successfully. I just can't believe there are people our there who believe Chelsea should have "taken it to them" even though they were down to 10 men and to say that the whole game was decided on luck is completely disingenuous, Barca just weren't good enough to find a way round Chelsea's defence after the pen. They were completely devoid of ideas and - this sounds weird when talking about Barca - without creativity.

Barca aren't the first team that's ever had to deal with getting round a bus. In fact, the majority of their Liga games involve them trying to get past 9 men behind the ball, it just so happens that Chelsea are quite a bit better at defending than most of La Liga and, as has been stated repeatedly, they had no plan B.

DEL PIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! /GNevasm

"AND SOLSKJAER HAS WON IT!"
"EURGHHHHHHHUUUUUUEARRRRRRRRRR!"​

Salvadora

Can't help but find the complaints about Chelsea's play utterly comical.

Football is about playing to your strengths and playing to your opposition's weaknesses, which Chelsea managed to do very successfully. I just can't believe there are people our there who believe Chelsea should have "taken it to them" even though they were down to 10 men and to say that the whole game was decided on luck is completely disingenuous, Barca just weren't good enough to find a way round Chelsea's defence after the pen; completely devoid of ideas and - this sounds weird when talking about Barca - without creativity.

Barca aren't the first team that's ever had to deal with getting round a bus. In fact, the majority of their Liga games involve them trying to get past 9 men behind the ball, it just so happens that Chelsea are quite a bit better at defending than most of La Liga and, as has been stated repeatedly, they had no plan B.

People haven't gave Chelsea enough credit, It's not an easy tactic to use against Barcelona.

Well, my words of encouragement last week didn't have much effect... but I'll keep trying:

'Hoy el careto de Juanito les hará recordar el verdadero miedo escénico, ¡a por ellos!'

And talking about Juanito, as elsk has shown us here he was capable of terrible things, his temperament made him do either the best or the worst things, but his boldness was an attribute I would like to see more today, with a little self-control of course.

My father always told me that in the regular meetings of the 'Asociación de Futbolistas Españoles' (AFE), the Spanish professional footballer association, he was one of the great and famous players that was always willing to chitchat with everyone and to know how they were doing even if they were from inferior categories, and humbly showed a real interest and willingness to help the majority of his colleagues unlike some of the habitual posers (in Spanish I would have said 'figurines') with superiority complex from the eventual big clubs. This down-to-earth but unrestrained nature was a double-edged sword but also made him an unique symbol of courage.

'Illa, illa, illa... Juanito maravilla.'

index.php

Top Bottom