• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT| The Beautiful Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out of interest, how exactly do clubs of the size of Man Utd and Liverpool allow their players to become overweight? Their diets and regimes are strictly monitored, so how does it happen? If its because Anderson and Cole eat the Wednesday jacket potato and coleslaw, then waddle home and devour a family-pack of chocolate eclairs, that's surely worth disciplinary action?

FootballFan

Ah Barca entitlement. However your avatar goes someway to making up for your crimes.

Heeey! You said you will be pro-barca this season cause Madrid are now champions. Better keep your word! :p

148780369.jpg

wtf... that's Anderson? :lol

True, but there's a general level of technical ability and mental fortitude required to not just hoof the ball under pressure; Fire pass it out from the back pretty well, and aren't afraid to use the keeper under ardent Villa pressure.

Fair enough. Although I think in a football world obsessed with Barcelona and their style of play we give too much credit to teams that keep the ball or press high up the pitch. Those are their trademarks if you like. But there's so much more to their game and football in general than just keeping possession and pressing.

Do the Brummies miss the Birmingham derbies? Personally, I never really cared for them as I do the Manchester, North London and Merseyside (obviously) derbies. The recent Merseyside ones have been dreadful recently in the main though, from a neutral spectators point of view. Few goals, normally one-sided, little in the way of chances and openness. Can't beat it for disciplinary ridiculousness though :D

Arnie

Fair enough. Although I think in a football world obsessed with Barcelona and their style of play we give too much credit to teams that keep the ball or press high up the pitch. Those are their trademarks if you like. But there's so much more to their game and football in general than just keeping possession and pressing.

No, you're probably right. I guess it's a mixture of low expectations for the MLS and Villa playing a bit shit.

Out of interest, how exactly do clubs of the size of Man Utd and Liverpool allow their players to become overweight? Their diets and regimes are strictly monitored, so how does it happen? If its because Anderson and Cole eat the Wednesday jacket potato and coleslaw, then waddle home and devour a family-pack of chocolate eclairs, that's surely worth disciplinary action?
Honestly this does my head in and I have no idea. I get some players fluctuate and some players are just more professional than others but Anderson is so clearly carrying too much weight and tbh I just don't know how. Nvm that the club would surely be forcing him not too...he does play PL football which is immensely demanding physically...so how can be anything other than trim. It leaves only one conclusion, that he is in in good shape.

But he so obv isn't.

My head hurts.

rodvik

Do the Brummies miss the Birmingham derbies? Personally, I never really cared for them as I do the Manchester, North London and Merseyside (obviously) derbies. The recent Merseyside ones have been dreadful recently in the main though, from a neutral spectators point of view. Few goals, normally one-sided, little in the way of chances and openness. Can't beat it for disciplinary ridiculousness though :D

We still get the baggies. Trips to Wolves were nice. Dont miss Birmingham city games at all though. They got nasty.

Are future players ever considered when evaluating past managers. For instance, Rafa as responsible for the overhauling of our reserve team, and played a large part in us getting Suso and Sterling. That role will be forgotten though by most, even if one (both?) became great players for us

Arnie

Are future players ever considered when evaluating past managers. For instance, Rafa as responsible for the overhauling of our reserve team, and played a large part in us getting Suso and Sterling. That role will be forgotten though by most, even if one (both?) became great players for us
By the vast majority, no, by those like us who're embedded in these decisions, without a doubt. I'm currently writing something on the game today that talks about how people like McMahon, Borrell, and Segura in some ways should've been as talked about today as Rodgers. It was their hard work and talent as coaches that really produced the finer points in the game, despite Rodgers' system apparent already and looking really prominent.

He will deserve credit for over hauling the youth system but on the individual players I think most of the credit has to go the coaches who worked with them at the time and then the manager that successfully brings them into the first team which IMO is a very tough thing to do. Requires a lot of faith and patience. Sadly for Benitez he never got that chance with them.

tumblr_lp3jkkOW5T1qd81gqo1_500.gif

Stop Jinxing us.

That is a dreadful gif

edit: @Viz: Fair point, Sugura and Borrell have put in the hardest work with Sterling and Suso. Not to forget their coaches at QPR and wherever Suso came from either, they will have played a massive, massive role. Rafa would have loved having Suso in particular in this stage of his development :(

Arnie

It's humbling to see how much Morgan's goal meant to him, scouser born and bred who's family have flown out separately to come and support him. He even dedicated the goal to his nan who passed away not long ago, really touching stuff, even if it is just pre-season. He also thanked Rodgers and the entire backroom staff for bringing him on the tour.

sneaky77

Dark Knight Rises lives to the hype.. it was a great movie. If you cared for either Batman Begins or Dark Knight is well worth watching it.

Arnie

HOLY FUCKING SHIT

Everyone watch this now. Right now. Stop what you're doing and watch it. All the way through. Then again, and again, and again.

Preview for the HBO documentary on LFC. That ending gave me more goosebumps than any film or game trailer I've ever seen. It really goes places. There's a scene where Lucas is fucking sprinting on a treadmill, looking like he's fleeing from a gunman. It's straight out of Hollywood.

If anyone's aware of how much I enjoy cheesy, homemade Youtube videos, they'll begin to understand my reaction to this.

HOLY FUCKING SHIT

Everyone watch this now. Right now. Stop what you're doing and watch it. All the way through. Then again, and again, and again.

Preview for the HBO documentary on LFC. That ending gave me more goosebumps than any film or game trailer I've ever seen. It really goes places. There's a scene where Lucas is fucking sprinting on a treadmill, looking like he's fleeing from a gunman. It's straight out of Hollywood.

If anyone's aware of how much I enjoy cheesy, homemade Youtube videos, they'll begin to understand my reaction to this.

Looks like a trailer for one of the Goal films. Although it'd probably be called Woodwork

HOLY FUCKING SHIT

FFFUUUU.

That looks pretty good tbf. It's worse that I know United will never do anything like this.

Doesn't even look that cheesy tbf. Looks quite well made. Rodgers is so likeable I really hope he does something super dumb so I can hate him.

Arnie

The ending where he's slow mo-ing around an apartment in a suit, whilst he talks about 'having a sense of the future', then him closing with the line 'it's all part of the dance'. I'm almost catatonic.

yeah. hope it's more of that and less 'what liverpool means' type stuff.

so is it only rodgers then? an insider documentary about king kenny's fall could be fascinating.
Was planned before his sacking, so they had to adjust, but I think this direction certainly makes things more 'interesting'. I am wary of it make a fool out've Dalglish (yes, I'm aware, bring on the jokes, JTs), and I can see certain sections of our fanbase not taking too kindly to that representation. It's meant as a snapshot of the club, and was planned to follow the US tour.

Is borderlands worth playing as a solo experience?

Going through it now, and definitely. Only 2 problems for me:

1) Respawning enemies prevent you from taking your time to search every nook and cranny
2) There's no precise indication of which parts of the map you've visited, and a lot of the areas are fairly similar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom