• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT2| @agent_89: My sources tell me the season has started

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bumhead

Banned
Sounds like Tevez is having a good game. He will be a big asset this season for City if he can void a season defining meltdown.

I wish the offside rule was applied like it was in that goal more often. Benefit should always be given to the attacker - same with tackles in which the defender gets the slightest of 'touches' on the ball and yet smashes the forward into row Z.

If he was a millimetre the other way to make him onside, would it have affected the outcome?

That's a silly point to try and make, the Southampton defenders were clearly trying to get him offside and when they successfully did so, it should have been called.

elsk

Banned
TZ is running a story now that Bilbao might report Bayern to FIFA for "tapping up" a player.

If found guilty Bayern could face a fine and a transfer ban for two windows and Martinez banned for 4-6 months.

The most notable recent case was Chelsea with Kakuta.

Haha, oh men, they should just stop trying. Javi Martínez is not worth the 40M or all this mess.

Kyoufu

I wish the offside rule was applied like it was in that goal more often. Benefit should always be given to the attacker - same with tackles in which the defender gets the slightest of 'touches' on the ball and yet smashes the forward into row Z.

They should just use replay tech for offsides. Stupid FIFA.

Arnie

Why does this matter? Offside is offside.

You're right, I just think it isn't something to get raucous about.

It's offside, yes, but that's almost impossible for the linesman to call, and he's supposed to give advantage to the attacker in these situations. I'd rather those marginal calls be given to the attacker than start seeing a slew of legitimate passes and through balls be deemed offside.

Meier

Dzeko seemed to give up on that play. Nasri was there to save it, but it Dzeko were alert that could have been 2-0.

Kyoufu

What I don't understand is how linesmen are supposed to see the moment the ball was kicked AND the receiver's position with the defender at the same time.

How?!

Wes

venison crêpe
What I don't understand is how linesmen are supposed to see the moment the ball was kicked AND the receiver's position with the defender at the same time.

How?!

Because they are men with flags. Magical flags of magic.

Arnie

Unless we introduce technology, those decisions are going to happen. It was literally about 4 inches over the line. Advantage should be given to the attacker, and I think if we start over penalising, and preventing legitimate attacks, it'll ruin the game more than if the odd one like that sneaks through. The actual advantage to Tevez was almost non-existant, and I'd rather smart forward play be rewarded.
On second viewing, it was so close I can see why they didn't call it.
Exactly, and the game dictates that advantage should be given to the attacker in these sort of decisions.

And I fully accept I'm being hypocritical here, considering I told Usho yesterday that offside decisions were objective. I'll take the stick, but I stand behind what I'm saying here.

Soi-Fong

Unless we introduce technology, those decisions are going to happen. It was literally about 4 inches over the line. Advantage should be given to the attacker, and I think if we start over penalising, and preventing legitimate attacks, it'll ruin the game more than if the odd one like that sneaks through. The actual advantage to Tevez was almost non-existant, and I'd rather smart forward play be rewarded.

Exactly, and the game dictates that advantage should be given to the attacker in these sort of decisions.

And what? Smart defending be given the boot? Offside is an offside.
In this case, Tevez should have been awarded only if he held onto his run a bit longer.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
The offside is such a tough rule though. Play is so fast the linesman sometime has less than a second to call it. Unless it's something obvious I'm ok with refs not calling when they should or vice-versa.

Clegg

Dzeko is playing like he doesn't really want be at City anymore. Its a shame too as he looked so lethal in Germany.

Dinokill

I just realized that I will be not able to watch La Liga and Series A matches here in the US. What the fuck is this shit? Why is not espndeportes, goltv and fox not showing anything? Is this temporary? I'm so fucking mad right now that I'm about to kill somebody. Fuck Aljazeera and fuck all this bullshit goddammit.

3Sixty

Real talk.

Thought we looked pretty good in the first 20mins, then the pen seemed to scare us. Puncheon needs to be taken off, stick Lambert on up top, Guly wide right.

bud

it appears united have bought buttner from some dutch club you've probably never heard of.

he's a left back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom