• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT2| @agent_89: My sources tell me the season has started

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Kevin Keegan was in the same fancy hotel restaurant as me tonight, The Petersham in Richmond. I've seen him in here a few times, ESPN must put him up there when he's down here for TV work.

elsk

Banned
Why? :lol

Usami should have been playing more in the olympics and was Japan's best player during the toulon tournament. He only just turned 20 as well.

I really was never impressed with him, in the few times we got to see him playing with Bayern. Still, I hope he does very well at Hoffenheim (haha).

Arnie

Kevin Keegan was in the same fancy hotel restaurant as me tonight, The Petersham in Richmond. I've seen him in here a few times, ESPN must put him up there when he's down here for TV work.

Chelsea v Newcastle should be a great match tomorrow, can't wait. Then Juventus kick off their Serie A season afterwards on ESPN.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
it's a good thing we get the away to osasuna draw so early in the season, it was shitty last season during winter. the pitch was a nightmare.

Arnie

Did you read the Suarez interview? Some interesting stuff in it.

Just read it, loved it. Here's the link for those who haven't read it.

Luis-Suarez-010.jpg

Shinji will be disappointed when he witnesses Old Trafford's atmosphere. Dortmund's home support is crazy.

And Nuri will feel right at home when he experiences Anfield.

I'm getting nervous that it wasn't completed today.

ShogunX

Did you read the Suarez interview? Some interesting stuff in it.

Just read it, loved it. Here's the link for those who haven't read it.

And Nuri will feel right at home when he experiences Anfield.

I'm getting nervous that it wasn't completed today.

The interview will change nothing. He's a racist buck toothed diving scumbag and will be rightly booed at every ground he visits this season. I mean if he were English...Then obviously the diving wouldn't be much of a problem because everyone does it and who knows what he said to Evra? He might of been saying ''I didn't call you negro'' ten or was it eight times?

Fair play to the man for sticking it out when he could of took the easy way out. Get the feeling with Suarez at the moment that as soon as one goes in he will go on a bit of scoring spree.

As for Sahin - The medical was always slated for tomorrow.

dc89

I kinda feel bad for Suarez.

The whole T-Shirt thing cast a awkward blanket on that incident which really didn't help the situation and it wasn't his fault. But I think it worsened people's opinion of him.

I don't mind Suarez, I certainly wouldn't boo him at a game for the sake of it or over last seasons incident.

Arnie

The interview will change nothing. He's a racist buck toothed diving scumbag and will be rightly booed at every ground he visits this season. I mean if he were English...Then obviously the diving wouldn't be much of a problem because everyone does it and who knows what he said to Evra? He might of been saying ''I didn't call you negro'' ten or was it eight times?

Fair play to the man for sticking it out when he could of took the easy way out. Get the feeling with Suarez at the moment that as soon as one goes in he will go on a bit of scoring spree.

That's good about Sahin, started to get anxious thinking it'd hit a snag. Even imagined him eating pancakes at Wenger's house as Steve Bould nips out for a bottle of red.

I'm just glad he understands how his antics can hurt the team sometimes, and I'm glad he acknowledges that an inherent anger isn't always good for his play. I wouldn't want him to stop his relentless pressing, but he needs to know when to turn his aggression on and off, and channel it. I'm watching the Madrid game at Anfield now (was linked on RAWK) and I'm reminiscing about how good Torres was at that. Heinze has put a couple of dirty challenges on him and he's pissed, but then he waits, bides his time, and gets his revenge by outplaying him, rather than by kicking him, or saying something stupid. You knew when Torres got angry (and he did, often) he'd come good on the pitch.

And I completely agree about how his character's been bolstered by the contract renewal. He could've easily just fucked off this summer, there were offers in for him, and with Dalglish sacked he's got the right to say 'you know what, I don't agree with that, I'm out'. Instead, despite the boos he's chosen to stick around for an extended period and fight off the criticism for the good of the club.
I kinda feel bad for Suarez.

The whole T-Shirt thing cast a awkward blanket on that incident which really didn't help the situation and it wasn't his fault. But I think it worsened people's opinion of him.

I don't mind Suarez, I certainly wouldn't boo him at a game for the sake of it or over last seasons incident.
The T-Shirt fiasco was awkward, and if we could go back and change it now I probably would, but you have to see it from the clubs perspective, Suarez feels he did nothing wrong (I think he did, personally, not that he was racist, but more naive), and in that respect we as a club had to back him.

You look at it a different way, if the club hadn't backed him, and the fans hadn't backed him, would he be here now? Maybe not.

He's just one of those players though, if he's in your club you love him for his workrate and his passion, and if he's on the opposition you hate him for that very reason. And he plays for Liverpool, which just intensifies that hatred.

Arnie

And here's the thing, that gif probably makes most peoples blood boil, yet I just smile. I've got no clue what's going through his head.

Arnie

It's just disgraceful behaviour for a professional footballer, Or anyone really.

I don't see it as disgraceful, I just see it as strange. As others have said, it's pretty hilarious, if Balotelli had done it we'd all be laughing, rather than a select few. I just don't know what sparked that brainwave which told him to haul Heitinga to the ground, or what he thought it would achieve. It's so abnormal it's flat out hilarious. And the two are friends, by the way, it wasn't anything overly malicious, Heitinga laughed about it after the game.

I think when it comes to the whole Suarez fiasco you'd be hard pushed to find anybody who legitimately thinks he's a racist. His background and personal life should cast out any doubt over that. I personally think, and did from the start, that the people calling him a racist were doing it because of stupid club allegiances (we all know you can't like the other guys, boooo!).

What he done was stupid and naive, but not racist. I dislike Suarez on the pitch, but I've seen a few interviews with him and honestly, he seems like a nice, down to earth bloke.

PJX

It's just disgraceful behaviour for a professional footballer, Or anyone really.

I'm sure we can pick out from other professional footballers who has done worse but yeah lets stick it to Suarez.

And if you watched the match and paid attention there was a lot of build up to that tackle. Heitinga kept pulling his shirt, holding on to him, clipping him but yet never got warned or given a yellow for it.

Salvadora

I don't see it as disgraceful, I just see it as strange. As others have said, it's pretty hilarious, if Balotelli had done it we'd all be laughing, rather than a select few. I just don't know what sparked that brainwave which told him to haul Heitinga to the ground, or what he thought it would achieve. It's so abnormal it's flat out hilarious. And the two are friends, by the way, it wasn't anything overly malicious, Heitinga laughed about it after the game.
Exactly. How that course of action would go through his mind is beyond me. Can't say I agree with the Balotelli stuff, He was rightfully panned when he started acting up on the pitch.
Disgraceful behavior?

It's a clean take down that deserves a yellow card at most. Disgraceful behavior is the two footed lunge he performed whilst at Ajax.
Yeah, Rugby tackles like that have no place in football.
I'm sure we can pick out from other professional footballers who has done worse but yeah lets stick it to Suarez.
I'm running a witch-hunt.

Yen

I think when it comes to the whole Suarez fiasco you'd be hard pushed to find anybody who legitimately thinks he's a racist. His background and personal life should cast out any doubt over that. I personally think, and did from the start, that the people calling him a racist were doing it because of stupid club allegiances (we all know you can't like the other guys, boooo!).

What he done was stupid and naive, but not racist. I dislike Suarez on the pitch, but I've seen a few interviews with him and honestly, he seems like a nice, down to earth bloke.

Boooooooooooooooooooo

I mean, I agree with all of this. Except I don't dislike him :p

Bumhead

Banned
I think describing that gif as disgraceful behaviour is pushing it a bit. Silly? Absolutely. Amusing? Oh yeah.

In terms of "disgraceful behaviour" in a Merseyside derby, Kuyt's lunge a few years back is one of the worst things I've ever seen on a football field. Way, way worse than anything Suarez did there.

PJX

Yeah, Rugby tackles like that have no place in football.

Neither is stomping a players chest, kicking a player, doing a kung fu kick, spitting on another player, pushing a side ref etc.

I'm running a witch-hunt.

I'm game

I think describing that gif as disgraceful behaviour is pushing it a bit. Silly? Absolutely. Amusing? Oh yeah.

In terms of "disgraceful behaviour" in a Merseyside derby, Kuyt's lunge a few years back is one of the worst things I've ever seen on a football field. Way, way worse than anything Suarez did there.

You have a gif for that? I don't recall ever seeing that. You mean even worse than the Nigel kung fu kick on Alonso?

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I fucking love Suarez! Come back home baby.

Balo's antics are fake/attention whoring, Suarez is genuinely a lovable villain <3 (on the pitch).

Arnie

I think that's a fair assessment that mostly tallies with my opinion of him, except when I see him busting a gut in a Liverpool shirt I love him for it.

Aye, that deserved a red. Two feet and his entire body completely off the ground. Crouch did one similar, if I remember correctly, or perhaps I'm muddling the two up.

I remember the Kuyt game specifically because I nearly got fired from work that day; it was a Saturday job at bargain booze (I was only 15 at the time so I stocked shelves) and I came in hungover from a party the night before. I told the boss that I had to go home, saying I was ill (mostly to watch the match), but he found out because he rung my house to say I'd left my jacket there but my mum told him I was at my nans watching the football. When I got to work the next week he gave me a first and last warning for both being hungover and leaving to go watch football.

PaulLFC

I hope this neanderthalian shit ends sometime soon, not a chance of that sadly.
It may have just been bad sound when I was watching the WBA game, but the booing definitely seemed less than last season and the Olympics. It was still there, but it seemed a lot quieter.

Bumhead

Banned
You have a gif for that? I don't recall ever seeing that. You mean even worse than the Nigel kung fu kick on Alonso?

I can't seem to find it. Youtube is only giving me FIFA videos.. *sigh*

Can't remember who the Everton player was. I seem to recall Clattenberg was the referee. It was at Goodison Park. It happened on the near touchline (as you look at the pitch at Goodison from TV), infront of the away end down the side. Kuyt was pretty much airborne and studs up diving in on the Everton player. If he'd have caught him he'd have put the other bloke out of the game for a long, long time. Really fucking poor from Kuyt.

Arnie

The match was November 2007, I think. As I say, I remember it vividly because of my work incident, and I had the Orange Box waiting for me on 360 when I got home from my nan's. Was a cracking day.

PaulLFC

:lol wow. If that's "disgraceful" I'd love to hear your opinion of a two footed studs up challenge that does serious injury to an opponent. Now that would be disgraceful.

This is pretty much my take on it, sans the on-pitch dislike.

Suarez is a fantastic player, and he might be nice off the pitch, but he acts like a JT on it. You can't really complain if he gets booed for that. As his wife said in that interview, people judge him based on his behaviour the pitch. He could change that if he wanted to. I think everyone here respects him for his ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom