• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT5| One word to rule them all

Status
Not open for further replies.

sohois

That Liverpool was strange, since it seemed like all the attacking players had at least decent games and yet there were no chances of note created. It's like Liverpool need to play with 12 men to have a chance at scoring, someone to actually play up front whenever Suarez drops deep.

Substitutions were also bizarre, Cole didn't do too badly but Assaidi should have been on before him, and Borini certainly should've been give a chance.

GorillaJu

Had 0-0 written all over it.

Frustrating, but a clean sheet is definitely something. Suarez back to his wasteful best.

I don't think Suarez really changed at all between Norwich and this game - obviously he was incredible against Norwich, but every time he got the got the ball he had space and one or two defenders in front of him. Stoke left 4-5 people at the back and Suarez had absolutely no space to work with when he got the ball.

He and Johnson were our best players, IMO.

Really Liverpool need to be beating the likes of stoke at home but Arnie has a good view towards it, just treat is fully as a transition season and almost starting over and building again

This league season is a write-off. We'd better fucking pull it out of the bag in the cups.

Waiting for Gerrard to get up when he thinks he's been fouled and the opposition are counter-attacking is utterly painful

Clegg

We looked brilliant in the opening twenty minutes. Moved the ball around quickly and created plenty of chances. Newcastle moved another player into midfield and have since taken control of the game. We'll need to sort that out.

Happy enough with the first half. Only negatives are Welbecks terrible finishing and Kagawa looking ineffective on the wing. But he's not even a winger so why play him there?

Soi-Fong

Kagawa's being wasted on that right. He shouldn't be having to take any defensivee responsibility seeing as he's horrible at tackling. I'm hoping he's moved more towards the center.

Sub Welbeck out with Valencia and switch positions with Kagawa. Kagawa has to be more forward to affect the game.

This draw feels like a loss. Stoke were just defending with 9 men, Liverpool didn't take the couple golden chances they had and that was the difference. Glen, Suarez could/should have scored in the second half. Sahin had a poor game, Sterling tried hard but he was permanently blocked on his wing by two Stoke players. Suarez looked sharp but his finishing deserted him once again.

Tc91

Amazing first 20 from us the best I've seen us play this season.

Since then we've been shite pretty much, shouldn't of let off the gas cause if Newcastle would of scored I would of expected them to bring it back.

Got to start fast again in the 2nd half and not sit back.

Garjon

Really Liverpool need to be beating the likes of stoke at home but Arnie has a good view towards it, just treat is fully as a transition season and almost starting over and building again

While this may be true, it doesn't excuse the fact that we are suffering from the same problems we've had for the past 3 seasons i.e. we can't finish.

LTWheels

Still don't know why we took off Suso. I would have taken off Sterling first. Suso is more creative. I could see him making the killer pass more so than Sterling.

Garjon

Also, did Crouch even get a touch this game? Personally I would kill to have him back right now, I can't help but feel he would have buried some of the opportunities we had in recent months.

Arnie

That's exactly how I'm treating it, and I think we've got a very good foundation. We play some lovely football and the team's building some really good chemistry. Just need to add goals, of which January, and more minutes on the pitch will produce.

sohois

I suppose one thing that Liverpool completely failed to do in attack this game was get the fullbacks involved, I can't remember one single occasion where Wisdom or Johnson actually overlapped.

For me this match once again highlighted the problem shifting Johnson to the right, they really needed some overlaps because Stirling & Suso always had one too many players to get to the byline. Even if Enrique, Kelly & Flanagan are injured, surely Robinson can still get on the bench? Heck, I would have rather seen McLaughlin than Wisdom at RB today, Wisdom had pretty much nothing to do defensively anyway.

Soi-Fong

Mmm. He's not a cut-inside type of player; that is to say, there's so much more that he can do when he doesn't have the sideline limiting him.

This. Have him in the center and his vision will allow for whole view of the pitch. I really wish for once that we don't have wingers and have two playmakers in Rooney and Kagawa and two strikers in RVP and Welbeck.

Soi-Fong

suarezgif.gif

lol

I can see why Suarez will never be able to win penalties again in his career.

GorillaJu

Well there's no question we absolutely bossed the living fuck out of their midfield. I don't know how many passes we made but it has to have been at least 600. When we got into the final third everything broke down. Gerrard couldn't make a pass to save his life, Suarez was constantly running into a wall, and Sterling was getting pushed out of the game.

Suso coming off did seem strange to me, given that he was looking to be the one who could get a key pass in for a goal. His patience on the ball was great and he was the only one who didn't panic and rush in a poor cross as soon as the ball got up near the box.

It wasn't a bad performance, but I still want us to win these games. Also, fuck Stoke. They were more even more violent and cynical than usual.

Garjon

Suso coming off did seem strange to me, given that he was looking to be the one who could get a key pass in for a goal. His patience on the ball was great and he was the only one who didn't panic and rush in a poor cross as soon as the ball got up near the box.
I don't understand this either, maybe he thought Cole's weight would be advantageous? Whatever it was, it didn't pan out and perhaps had Suso still been on the pitch the outcome may well have been different. Sahin was simply bullied off the ball at times, we need to get that ironed out if he wants to play in the PL. I also can't help but feel that Shelvey would have done well today, I can certainly imagine him getting onto the ball that flashed across the goal at the end at least.

GorillaJu

Wow... You're actually trying to explain that or defend it?

It's a dive. Seriously..

Nobody flops around like that. Serious JT.

What the fuck are you on about you little brat? It was the weirdest dive I've seen him do and I'm trying to make sense of it. It looks like his foot is clipped the first time he falls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom