• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT20| I don't really give a shit what any title is

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pennywise

you're a pretty optimistic person

I'm just realistic.
I would be glad, if he decided to extend his contract even further, but I just don't know what he's planning.

EPL folks, how would you rate Wilfried Bony ?
Looks like he's one of the other choices if Immobile won't join Dortmund.

EmiPrime

I'm just realistic.
I would be glad, if he decided to extend his contract even further, but I just don't know what he's planning.

EPL folks, how would you rate Wilfried Bony ?
Looks like he's one of the other choices if Immobile won't join Dortmund.

He's very good.

GorillaJu

AVB was sacked because we had scored 16 goals in 17 games and conceded 11 unanswered goals against City and Liverpool. His football was not working and too focused on preventing the opposition from scoring, when anybody even half-decent scored first against us we had no answers. The only teams we beat under AVB after conceding first were Sunderland and Fulham. Without Bale his system didn't work, we had no explosive player who could score from anywhere.

If you look at the number of goals our strikers scored between January 2013 (when Bale moved to the striker position) and AVB's sacking, Defoe scored 1 goal in the league. Adebayor 5. Soldado 3. Without Bale he was not able to hurt teams.

I think if he had another transfer window and the players from this year with more experience, he could have had a decent season next year, but I'm not disagreeing with the decision to fire him. Spurs were well within their rights to do so, as you said, the results were poor and some of the defeats shocking.

Meier

Watching highlights of the United game.

Fellaini really can't do anything right.
I thought he played pretty well minus those few shots he took (unbelievable he didn't score the 2nd goal) and that really ugly yellow card he got. Had a 3 man break late that maybe he could have hit RVP on a cross field pass on but going to the trailing man was more reliable. Dude is a unit and both of the balls he headed down for Wilson were really well done.

Wes

venison crêpe
Tonight's the night. The stage is set.

DelphHD1.gif

Delphinho is ready.

DBT85

Theyre not going to take anything less than a world record fee. It's the statement that will matter. They don't need to sell him and are under no pressure to do so. He's not leaving this summer anyway no matter what. I don't think they'll sell him for £120m never mind £60m.

How will having to satisfy FFP next season affect Liverpool over the next 12 months? They'll get a bunch of cash from being in the CL next season but they surely have to spend at least that this summer to stand a chance of competing in the PL and the CL simultaneously.

All teams will benefit from the new TV PL deal next year of course.

jtb

Banned
AVB was sacked because we had scored 16 goals in 17 games and conceded 11 unanswered goals against City and Liverpool. His football was not working and too focused on preventing the opposition from scoring, when anybody even half-decent scored first against us we had no answers. The only teams we beat under AVB after conceding first were Sunderland and Fulham. Without Bale his system didn't work, we had no explosive player who could score from anywhere.

If you look at the number of goals our strikers scored between January 2013 (when Bale moved to the striker position) and AVB's sacking, Defoe scored 1 goal in the league. Adebayor 5. Soldado 3. Without Bale he was not able to hurt teams.

the results were bad but the blame doesn't necessarily lie with him and getting rid of him didn't solve any problems. that, and whenever you've got a situation where the manager has "lost the dressing room," I think a large part of that is the ease of which managers are sacked. AVB didn't get all the tactics right (inverted wingers clearly could not coexist with Soldado) but I think it creates a toxic situation where the players come up short and the manager is the one who takes the blame. especially when he's not even the one who brought them in.

the big defeats obviously weren't good, but I think it's pointless to overreact to them. at the end of the day, it doesn't really matter if you lose by one goal or by six, you still get the same number of points. AVB got off to a poor start the season before also, for the exact same reason—new core of players, new system, etc. we don't know if things would have picked up or not but if there's no clearly better alternative lined up, sacking him for the sake of it is just a waste. sack him at the end of the season, give everyone a clean slate, don't do it in the middle of November.

jesalr

the results were bad but the blame doesn't necessarily lie with him and getting rid of him didn't solve any problems. that, and whenever you've got a situation where the manager has "lost the dressing room," I think a large part of that is the ease of which managers are sacked. AVB didn't get all the tactics right (inverted wingers clearly could not coexist with Soldado) but I think it creates a toxic situation where the players come up short and the manager is the one who takes the blame. especially when he's not even the one who brought them in.

the big defeats obviously weren't good, but I think it's pointless to overreact to them. at the end of the day, it doesn't really matter if you lose by one goal or by six, you still get the same number of points. AVB got off to a poor start the season before also, for the exact same reason—new core of players, new system, etc. we don't know if things would have picked up or not but if there's no clearly better alternative lined up, sacking him for the sake of it is just a waste. sack him at the end of the season, give everyone a clean slate, don't do it in the middle of November.

How about the manager not playing the players correctly? Why play a high line when your defenders are Dawson and Capoue against Suarez, Sturridge, and Sterling. Why, when that keeps getting exploited do you persist with it. The manner of our victories over the last 2 season under AVB were never convincing. Only against Villa can I remember big wins. It's papered over by Soldado penalties, lucky goals in the last minute, and stunning shots from Bale (West Ham, WBA, Southampton, Sunderland, Swansea and on)

The manner of our defeats were also incredibly disheartening. They weren't just defeats, they were capitulations. Chelsea at home last season, City away, Everton Away, Liverpool and City this season...

We were racking up points, to the point we got our top points tally in the PL, but we never really convinced.

How will having to satisfy FFP next season affect Liverpool over the next 12 months? They'll get a bunch of cash from being in the CL next season but they surely have to spend at least that this summer to stand a chance of competing in the PL and the CL simultaneously.

All teams will benefit from the new TV PL deal next year of course.

They should be fine. I'm not 100% sure of their figures though.

Since they haven't been in the CL and Europe this year, they have an extra year to meet the requirements - otherwise they might have been at risk of facing some sanctions.

Also, even though they made ~£90m worth of losses over the last two years, a fair chunk of that will be exempt I think. The threshold is £37m worth of losses.

They won't be able to spend a massive amount of money this summer on transfers + wages but they won't be wanting to do that anyway because FSG won't want the club to spend beyond it's means. At a guess a £50m net spend is easily affordable for them in order to stay within FFP as they now know they will get an extra £30m from CL prize money next year at least and they've signed a few sponsorship deals this year also.

I doubt they could spend £100m net - but there is no pressure to sell anyway.

Meier

Possibly the best Spanish entry to eurovision ever
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t36CC9eNuVc
That's the first time I've ever actually listened to/watched a Eurovision entry. I find the competition to be pretty interesting though. Amazing that songs that are genuinely loathed and considered national embarrassments can become massive hits just by making the competition.

It'd be neat if they made an equivalent but with an entrant from each state here in the US.

sneaky77

That's the first time I've ever actually listened to/watched a Eurovision entry. I find the competition to be pretty interesting though. Amazing that songs that are genuinely loathed and considered national embarrassments can become massive hits just by making the competition.

It'd be neat if they made an equivalent but with an entrant from each state here in the US.

lol I am pretty sure most people in Europe still think is ridiculous.. plus the voting seems rigged half the time,

Feorax

I need to get another 3DS, traded in the last one towards the PS4.

The games worth getting are mostly first party though, and they're ridiculously expensive for handheld games. They never drop in price either.

The Paper Trail stuff in Infamous is pretty cool

Not a fan at all of them replacing the side-missions to take over districts with Assassin's Creed style tasks

Salvadora

Not keen on these Ruby and Sapphire remakes. Worst instalments of the franchise and a rather pointless rerelease compared to the others.

Yen

They should be fine. I'm not 100% sure of their figures though.

Since they haven't been in the CL and Europe this year, they have an extra year to meet the requirements - otherwise they might have been at risk of facing some sanctions.

Also, even though they made ~£90m worth of losses over the last two years, a fair chunk of that will be exempt I think. The threshold is £37m worth of losses.

They won't be able to spend a massive amount of money this summer on transfers + wages but they won't be wanting to do that anyway because FSG won't want the club to spend beyond it's means. At a guess a £50m net spend is easily affordable for them in order to stay within FFP as they now know they will get an extra £30m from CL prize money next year at least and they've signed a few sponsorship deals this year also.

I doubt they could spend £100m net - but there is no pressure to sell anyway.
I *think* £55m of the £90m losses you mention was stadium related, writing off the Hicks Bowl plans, so that doesn't count towards FFP. Though I'm not entirely sure, could've been the year before.

And we'll have a fair bit more sponsorship money with Dunkin and Garuda (training kit sponsor) meant to be big money. Though with Liverpool's accounts, this might not be taken into account until 2016.

But it's pointless laying this out now, considering all the money we'll get for winning the CL.

Wilbur

Banned
Not keen on these Ruby and Sapphire remakes. Worst instalments of the franchise and a rather pointless rerelease compared to the others.

Agreed. I was saying to my little brother that if they are gonna remake any again in the new style it should be Red and Blue (even if it has already been done).

Gonna be silly when they just keep remaking every generation.

will buy anyway

jesalr

Forwards: Neymar, Fred, Hulk, Jô, Bernard
Mid: Ramires, Hernanes, Paulinho, Willian, Fernandinho, Luiz Gustavo, Oscar
FBs: Marcelo, Maxwell, Dani Alves, Maicon
CBs: Dante, David Luiz, Thiago Silva, Dante
Brazil squad: GKs - Júlio César, Jefferson, Victor

Brazil Squad announced. No room for Sandro or Lucas unsurprisingly.

No Coutinho either though.

bjaelke

San @Zizouology
FUCKING BULLSHIT. SCOLARI GO AND FUCK A SHEEP YO UTTER BELLEND. HENRIQUE OVER DEDÉ AND MIRANDA? YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME YOU MORON...

Yen

Maybe harsh on Coutz. Definitely don't think Paulinho should be there based on this season's form, but everyone thought he had a good Confederations.

Really not very impressed by that Brazil squad.

Very conservative.

Also the decision not to court Diego Costa continues to look more and more stupid by the day.

jesalr

San @Zizouology
FUCKING BULLSHIT. SCOLARI GO AND FUCK A SHEEP YO UTTER BELLEND. HENRIQUE OVER DEDÉ AND MIRANDA? YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME YOU MORON...

Can you imagine what it's going to be like when England's squad is centred around Tom Clevs?

No Coutinho either though.

Why 2 Dante players?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom