• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT20| I don't really give a shit what any title is

Status
Not open for further replies.

LTWheels

I need to get another 3DS, traded in the last one towards the PS4.

The games worth getting are mostly first party though, and they're ridiculously expensive for handheld games. They never drop in price either.

You might as well wait until Nintendo's next handheld comes out. That's when they will drop price.

What I do like about the Vita is that it's game prices drop quite quickly plus pretty much nearly everything on that system ends up on PSN+ at some point. Only thing that doesn't drop price is the memory cards. Contemplating getting a 32 or 64 card as I only have a 4GB. I backup all the games on my PC so I don't have to constantly redownload them.

Wilbur

Banned
Really not very impressed by that Brazil squad.

Very conservative.

Also the decision not to court Diego Costa continues to look more and more stupid by the day.

Yep. Think he's fucked up himself as well to be honest; all the talk of him giving Spain another dimension is pointless if they refuse to play any other way.

arkon

That is a fantastic squad to announce. Makes me even more confident that England will be returning home in a blaze of glory this Summer.

sohois

Ruby/Sapphire is still the best Pokemon generation, well hyped for the remake - particularly after X/Y was pretty wank.

People pointing out Ramires, Paulinho, etc., but how about Maicon? Is he even still alive? Would have thought he would be in Saudi Arabia or something like that by now

Wilbur

Banned
Ruby/Sapphire is still the best Pokemon generation, well hyped for the remake - particularly after X/Y was pretty wank.

People pointing out Ramires, Paulinho, etc., but how about Maicon? Is he even still alive? Would have thought he would be in Saudi Arabia or something like that by now

You think X/Y was wank but you think R/S was the best? Sohois pls

They were pretty poor even then. So much fucking surfing. Too many normal Pokemon.

sohois

You think X/Y was wank but you think R/S was the best? Sohois pls

They were pretty poor even then. So much fucking surfing. Too many normal Pokemon.

Even if you disagree about R/S, I can't see how you would like X/Y. Balance was completely fucked by some of the stuff they added, terrible rivals, terrible gym battles, terrible elite 4, the worst goddamn champion imaginable, fucking stupid story, mega evolutions utter garbage that do nothing but make the pokemon look idiotic. I've played every entry save for B/W2 and X/Y is easily the worst.

Wilbur

Banned
Those 2 can be trusted to defend as part of a middle 2 though, and Paulinho has been good when I've seen him play for Brazil. Admittedly that was a year ago, but still

This is a Clev argument though. He's clearly going to the World Cup on the basis that he's performed decently for England before, yet people want him out based on his performances this season (which I agree with).

Think Coutinho's shown he can press and harry extremely well. But I'm not the one taking Brazil to a World Cup

Unfortunately

I got to the final with Ireland on FM pls big Phil step aside

Wilbur

Banned
Even if you disagree about R/S, I can't see how you would like X/Y. Balance was completely fucked by some of the stuff they added, terrible rivals, terrible gym battles, terrible elite 4, the worst goddamn champion imaginable, fucking stupid story, mega evolutions utter garbage that do nothing but make the pokemon look idiotic. I've played every entry save for B/W2 and X/Y is easily the worst.

I think the balance is fine. Aside from some eternals like Ice continuing to get fucked, Fairy was good shit. The Megas I warmed to (principally because I don't really use them or battle competitively, but I don't mind them. Some of the designs are better too - Garchomp and Aggron specifically). Elite 4 was no less notable than the last few Gens but yes the champion fucking blew horse dick, you're right about that.

Did a lot more good than bad though. The speed of it, the look, the music, the amount of pokemon available... Loved it.

Gutted for Felipe Luis and Miranda. They already kinda knew they weren't going though. Scolari has his favourites.

Lucas is a big omission. He would offer this team (that kind of lacks creativity), some real penetration and impetus if Neymar is struggling. Think Kaka had a shout too.

Gutted for Felipe Luis and Miranda. They already kinda knew they weren't going though. Scolari has his favourites.

Lucas is a big omission. He would offer this team (that kind of lacks creativity), some real penetration and impotence if Neymar is struggling. Think Kaka had a shout too.

Impetus, not impotence. Neymar is bringing the latter.

cremino

Coutinho has been better than Bernard, Sandro and even Lucas are better than Hernanes.
Also no Miranda, Diego Alves, Filipe Luis and Lucas (PSG)

pappe

I guess we can safely bet that Brazil is not winning thia tournament looking at that squad.

Its Germanys to loose now.

Meier

I thought X&Y was a really great first entry for the 3DS. I think the transition to the new engine was handled far better than I could have hoped for, tbh. I'm looking forward to a proper new game in the series but a RuSa remake works for me as well. I don't have any attachment to the different regions like people in the news thread though. "OMG Hoenn!!!" -- not for me.

I feel a little bad for Sandro but he really hasn't played much lately so it's a lot to expect to make the team. I don't really ever watch Serie A so I can't weigh in on Hernanes' form this season, but statistically, it looks like he took a step back from the 3 seasons prior. Must have been injured a bit this year as well because he hasn't played many games.

I think their squad looks pretty damn good, but defense is always a question with them. Their forwards are all consistently dangerous when playing for Brazil.

It's not a great squad on paper but in fairness it seems like Scolari decided a while ago that he had a core of players and he has been building his team around that. If you don't fit that idea - you don't get in.

Not saying it's the right thing to do but it beats just picking the flavour of the month or big names IMO.

rodvik

Forwards: Neymar, Fred, Hulk, Jô, Bernard
Mid: Ramires, Hernanes, Paulinho, Willian, Fernandinho, Luiz Gustavo, Oscar
FBs: Marcelo, Maxwell, Dani Alves, Maicon
CBs: Dante, David Luiz, Thiago Silva, Dante
Brazil squad: GKs - Júlio César, Jefferson, Victor

Brazil Squad announced. No room for Sandro or Lucas unsurprisingly.

No Coutinho either though.

Pretty amazing squad. Big Phil got this.

Like Viva said (kind of), Brazil were fantastic at the Confederations Cup, with players who I wouldn't have thought would be very good. He seems to have made them into more of a unit than a group of spectacular individuals, so players were always going to miss out if he couldn't be sure that they'd be able to slot into that unit without interrupting their cohesiveness.

I don't think people value performances for the national team enough, when ultimately that's what matters. If you get picked and you played well then you're probably going to get picked again.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Shame Sandro didn't get picked but it's the right call. Way too many injuries and as a result he's not had the run in the side that he needs to get back to top form.

I'm a bit surprised Lucas Moura didn't get a call up.

I don't think people value performances for the national team enough, when ultimately that's what matters. If you get picked and you played well then you're probably going to get picked again.

Yeah, this is why people like Paulinho get called up.

Fergie

Banned
Some big omissions but I guess it makes sense he'll stick what he built up recently.

Felipe and Miranda would have been great though, both have been really great for AM.

Meier

I'm a bit surprised Lucas Moura didn't get a call up.

Good point on Lucas -- I had completely glossed over his not being selected but it looks like he has missed the last few selections as well. It's a little interesting that Bernard has not been "punished" like many other Brazilians before him who moved to Ukraine. As has been discussed, Scolari clearly is honoring the performers from recent years -- guys like Fred and Jo are not big glossy selections but they've scored a lot of goals for Brazil lately. I think the only substantive change is Ferna finally getting back in.

CBs: Dante, David Luiz, Thiago Silva, Henrique

Fixed that for you.

Maxwell over Filipe Luiz is bullshit.
Henrique over Miranda is insane.
No Coutinho in that midfield (over Hernanes) is a shame. Now Oscar has no real replacement, forcing the team to change style is he is out/hurt.

I also would like to have seen Diego Alves (Valencia/GK) instead of either Jefferson or Julio Cesar.

Aside from those, that's the team. Not much to add or discuss.
Not courting Diego Costa is going to come back to haunt us tho.

I guess we can safely bet that Brazil is not winning thia tournament looking at that squad.

Its Germanys to loose now.

People thought that at the Confederations Cup too.....

Who's picking up Age of Mythology on steam here then?

Who the fuck is Bernard by the way?

A small kid that looks like should be in kindengarden but is actually a very smart footballer. He deserves to be in for what he shown when playing for Brazil.

pappe

------Cesar------
Marcelo-Dante-Silva-Alves
------Fernandinho-----
-----Oscar-Paulinho
Hulk-------------Neymar
---------Fred------

World cup winning squad? Dont think so.

justjohn

Very happy for willian. Great player and a fantastic attitude.

Meier

Coutinho hasn't had a cap since 2010 and that was for a friendly versus Iran. Probably not a huge surprise he didn't get a call-up even if he's probably deserving. Brazil has such an insanely crowded midfield in terms of talent, it's a tough ask.

Who the fuck is Bernard by the way?

He's really fucking good. Went to Shakhtar this summer but a lot of other clubs were interested. Very, very tiny though. Valbuena-esque.

Gaaw daamn

poSpl7y.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom