• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT23| Goal-Line Technology Saving Football In Brazil

Status
Not open for further replies.

fuenf

Of course we will finish first! Believe! Just not in Jogi.

BTW fuenf, I was curious what your impression of yesterday's match was. Didn't see it last night (if you posted any).

I still think we should keep Lahm in midfield for now, but drop Khedira for Schweini. It all depends on their fitness, though

I watched the game with a couple of mates and didnt post on GAF last night. I have mixed feelings about the game. On the one hand you could see how much potential this team has and that the Cup should be there for their taking. But on the other hand I'm not sure whether they will be able to play up to their potential, especially in the later rounds.

At first I liked their composure, tactical set up and general approach to the game but as the game went on my faith quickly deteriorated. The defense was in shambles, both Höwedes and Mustafi flat out sucked, Khedira once again had headless chicken syndrome and Özil just cant finish the easy ones. It me reminded me of the classic Pep 'we've already won' Bayern games, the team looked overconfident, entitled and like they first and foremost wanted to preserve their energy. Of course they equalized and had the chance to win it, but imo that had more to do with Ghana opening things up than Germany starting to outplay them.

The Mustafi substitution made me once again doubt Löw's mindset. You could clearly see that none of the German players trusted him (for good reason). The right move would've been to bring Schweini and Klose for Khedira & Mustafi after Ghana took the lead. Even if it would've meant the end of Mustafi's World Cup, but Löw didnt have the balls to correct his mistake. I can't fathom why Löw insist on playing 4 CB at the back, sure it helps them with standards but we lack pressure on the flanks. Götze was basically left out there to die by Höwedes and while Boateng is actually a viable attacking option, I dont think he's comfortable going foward.

I agree, though, given Löw's tactics a Lahm / Schweini / Kroos midfield is the way to go. Schweini's presence should stabilize our defense while simultaneously allow Lahm to go foward more (which is the only reason why Lahm should play on the 6 anyways). I will NEVER understand why more often than not Khedira is the midfielder who's furthest up the pitch. I admit that I don't like his playstyle but if anything he should focus on defensive work, and let Kroos / Schweinsteiger carry out our attacks. I just hate it when Khedira plays like he did yesterday or vs Italy in 2012.

Overall I'm not disappointed (I actually expected them to screw up) but simply frustrated. If they don't win the Cup this year, they probably never will. Having watched most of the games, I stand by my belief that Germany is the most skilled & tactically sound team in this World Cup, but unfortunately they are also their own worst enemy.

gotta stay positive Milch. With Kloppo he can do it. Impossible is nothing! Being global can only be the first step towards becoming intergalactic like Bayern and the US of A.
Took Klopp almost two years to turn Oliver fucking Kirch into a great player. He's the best coach.

Gambit

Thank you for writing down your impressions. As you know, I always enjoy reading them.

On the one hand you could see how much potential this team has and that the Cup should be there for their taking. But on the other hand I'm not sure whether they will be able to play up to their potential, especially in the later rounds.

That's basically Germany in a nutshell.

but Löw didnt have the balls to correct his mistake. I

And that is Löw in a nutshell.

I agree, though, given Löw's tactics a Lahm / Schweini / Kroos midfield is the way to go. Schweini's presence should stabilize our defense while simultaneously allow Lahm to go foward more (which is the only reason why Lahm should play on the 6 anyways). I will NEVER understand why more often than not Khedira is the midfielder who's furthest up the pitch. I admit that I don't like his playstyle but if anything he should focus on defensive work, and let Kroos / Schweinsteiger carry out our attacks. I just hate it when Khedira plays like he did yesterday or vs Italy in 2012.

Overall I'm not disappointed (I actually expected them to screw up) but simply frustrated. If they don't win the Cup this year, they probably never will. Having watched most of the games, I stand by my belief that Germany is the most skilled & tactically sound team in this World Cup, but unfortunately they are also their own worst enemy.

It is Khedira's biggest problem that ever since he joined Real (?) he seems to think of himself as a playmaker. He is not and never will be. If he stays back and uses his physicality and spirit to plug holes in defence and be the supporting act then he has a reason to be on the field. If not, he is a liability.

Mustafi was practically ignored by the other players. It really showed how little regard they had for Löw's decision.

I share your sentiment. Screwing up the second game was expected, but frustrating nonetheless. What's most annoying is that with the German attitude of wanting to conserve energy when nothing had been won yet, they ended up having to really use up all their reserves.

Still, I take some consolation from our (eventual) willingness to put in the work and our bench (for changing our offence). But I still don't trust the guy making the decisions.

Arnie

I am about to have a brew in my LFC mug.

Can't wait for this pre-season tournament to finish.

I'm really enjoying it, though.

hiroshawn

Banned
Ozil's dad took a while to accept him.

1560441_948116008547201_3151259275722682093_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom