• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT23| Goal-Line Technology Saving Football In Brazil

Status
Not open for further replies.

fuenf

Thank you for writing down your impressions. As you know, I always enjoy reading them.

No problem and thx for the kind words. I'd love to have more of a discussion with you (and the rest of GermanyGAF) about Germany's tactics but as of late I don't have too much time to post on GAF. :( I'll try my best to become more active during the rest of WC, though.

That's basically Germany in a nutshell.

And that is Löw in a nutshell.

well put. :)

I share your sentiment. Screwing up the second game was expected, but frustrating nonetheless. What's most annoying is that with the German attitude of wanting to conserve energy when nothing had been won yet, they ended up having to really use up all their reserves.

Still, I take some consolation from our (eventual) willingness to put in the work and our bench (for changing our offence). But I still don't trust the guy making the decisions.

You are right, they showed willpower and determination in the end, but it should've been a lot easier. Just like that fucking semi vs Italy. :(

L1NETT

Like who? Are you going to list players such as Benzema & Zidane who were born & grew up in France?

Also aren't most of the Algerian team born in France?

Agree, it's a simplistic and pretty silly argument

France would be a great side if Algeria didn't keep stealing their players

L1NETT

Saying that, I was reading an article about the number of immigrants in each World Cup side.

Half of the french team were, and Germany had quite a few too

Interesting read, will see if I can dig it up.

Saying that, I was reading an article about the number of immigrants in each World Cup side.

Half of the french team were, and Germany had quite a few too

Interesting read, will see if I can dig it up.

Just because a player is an immigrant, it doesn't mean they don't hold their new country more fondly then their old. Mo Farah, understandably, would much rather represent the UK than the country he fled as a refugee.

This is amazing:

world-cup-2014-25-6538569594175488-hp.gif

L1NETT

Just because a player is an immigrant, it doesn't mean they don't hold their new country more fondly then their old. Mo Farah, understandably, would much rather represent the UK than the country he fled as a refugee.

Where did I say they didn't, blimey you do take this stuff seriously. Words in my mouth and all that

The article paints people who are anti foreigners as idiots, something I am completely behind. It shows how many immigrants make up many of the teams we are watching, and thus why a Wilshere "English for the English" attitude is so ridiculous and dated.

Gambit

No problem and thx for the kind words. I'd love to have more of a discussion with you (and the rest of GermanyGAF) about Germany's tactics but as of late I don't have too much time to post on GAF. :( I'll try my best to become more active during the rest of WC, though.

The World Cup is enough of a timesink as it is. So don't feel obligated to post, But I always appreciate when discussions arise.

You are right, they showed willpower and determination in the end, but it should've been a lot easier. Just like that fucking semi vs Italy. :(

That whole year never happened. No league or cups were played that year as far as I remember.

Where did I say they didn't, blimey you do take this stuff seriously. Words in my mouth and all that

I once killed a man who defended Diego Costa's choice to play for Spain (I wasn't insinuating anything, I realised after I posted it that it appeared aggressive but I'm tired and couldn't be bothered to edit it.)

Croyles

Don't think it makes a difference for us who wins tonight. We will probably have to beat the US in the final game either way to make sure.

And I'm not all too confident. :/

Wilbur

Banned

The article paints people who are anti foreigners as idiots, something I am completely behind. It shows how many immigrants make up many of the teams we are watching, and thus why a Wilshere "English for the English" attitude is so ridiculous and dated.

I think there's a difference between 10 year old Mo Farah spending formative years in British education and doing all his training here, and Kevin Pietersen spending all his life in South Africa and then choosing to play for us because of his mother.

For instance, I have an Irish father. But I don't believe in such a thing as Irish blood; I don't identify with his country at all. So if I was to play for Ireland because my dad's from there instead of feeling like I'm actually representing my country, that's a bit weird and opportunistic. I don't blame the footballers for doing so, but it's like when the papers used to bring up the prospect of Mikel Arteta playing for us; why?

subtles

If Suarez really is on his way, I hope the business doesn't drag on. I'm not really confident in replacing him (a new #7) either way.

LTWheels

If I was Welsh or Scottish and was good enough to be picked for England, I would declare for England as I want to actually play at the World Cup and Euros.

Gambit

I have World Cup fatigue :( Barely watched any of todays games.

I had that on Friday and took a break (but ended up watching the second half of Switzerland-France anyway). With my productivity at an all time low, I will have to take another break tomorrow.

Blablurn

True story:

I have a lil football fatigue since Bayern won the triple in 2013. Seriously. After the defeat in 2012 I was freaking pumped up the year later. Especially with Bayern breakin all records and then beating Dortmund in the final. It was the best football I've ever experienced.

And even though 2013/2014 was certainly not a bad year, I was never as focused on it as for example in 2013. The best example was the DFB Cup Final. Normally I always go crazy before a final. This year I didn't. Felt like I was watching a neutral friendly.

Very strange. I love Bayern <333 But I'm no stressed out about it anymore. The tension is gone.

fuenf

I can second the World Cup fatigue comments. Yesterday I realized that I don't even remember all the goals of the games I watched. I skipped today's Belgium game but will stay up to support #Klinsi. ;)

True story:

I have a lil football fatigue since Bayern won the triple in 2013. Seriously. After the defeat in 2012 I was freaking pumped up the year later. Especially with Bayern breakin all records and then beating Dortmund in the final. It was the best football I've ever experienced.

And even though 2013/2014 was certainly not a bad year, I was never as focused on it as for example in 2013. The best example was the DFB Cup Final. Normally I always go crazy before a final. This year I didn't. Felt like I was watching a neutral friendly.

Very strange. I love Bayern <333 But I'm no stressed out about it anymore. The tension is gone.

I felt / feel the same. I was actually rather excited about the DFB Cup Final but didnt care about the Buli and Bayern's CL exit didnt really faze me. 11/12 and 12/13 were just the perfect storm with everything that played out.

I think there's a difference between 10 year old Mo Farah spending formative years in British education and doing all his training here, and Kevin Pietersen spending all his life in South Africa and then choosing to play for us because of his mother.

For instance, I have an Irish father. But I don't believe in such a thing as Irish blood; I don't identify with his country at all. So if I was to play for Ireland because my dad's from there instead of feeling like I'm actually representing my country, that's a bit weird and opportunistic. I don't blame the footballers for doing so, but it's like when the papers used to bring up the prospect of Mikel Arteta playing for us; why?

I watch Athletics quite a bit and I find it hard to support people like Tiffany Porter, Shana Cox and Michael Bingham who only represent Great Britain because they are not good enough to compete for USA.

Blablurn

I can second the World Cup fatigue comments. Yesterday I realized that I don't even remember all the goals of the games I watched. I skipped today's Belgium game but will stay up to support #Klinsi. ;)

I felt / feel the same. I was actually rather excited about the DFB Cup Final but didnt care about the Buli and Bayern's CL exit didnt really faze it. 11/12 and 12/13 were just the perfect storm with everything that played out.

Yep :( It was everything and more. The deepest downfall. The highest rise. Oh my, what a ride that was. No matter what happens in the future. We experienced history.

Croyles

Can't really figure out what result helps us today. A USA win would likely put us through but could lose first place, a Portugal win gives us a likelier first place but also likely to go out.

I don't care, i'll root for the USA and Klinsi!

fuenf

Yep :( It was everything and more. The deepest downfall. The highest rise. Oh my, what a ride that was. No matter what happens in the future. We experienced history.

yeah you put it best a few months ago. 2012 doesnt hurt anymore. Without the Chelsea final, Javi, the Pep announcement, Heynckes' retirement, Wembley, the triple never would've happened. You couldn't have scripted it better. It was just an amazing inspirational story all around.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
I wonder if ill ever see Nani put in a good performance again

Blablurn

yeah you put it best a few months ago. 2012 doesnt hurt anymore. Without the Chelsea final, Javi, the Pep announcement, Heynckes' retirement, Wembley, the triple never would've happened. You couldn't have scripted it better. It was just an amazing inspirational story all around.

ib2kVZ1fGGwtyH.gif
iRdHx7nQYeBuR.gif

ijcpinPLELFTW.gif

Gambit

Agreed. It also made me much more relaxed. This group of players had finally won the most important title and I was simply glad. The last season was more like an epilogue and a diversion.

But for me the DFB-Pokal final actually was like the beginning of a new book/chapter. It rekindled my passion in an unforseen way. I expected a heavy defeat, but when victory came, it was ever so sweet. Maybe the fever will return next season.

EDIT: Just saw the other post. Bla is love.

Arnie

True story:

Don't know how I'll feel come the start of next season.

Champions League football should help light a fire up my arse but it'll be difficult to get pumped up again after slip-gate.

fuenf

But for me the DFB-Pokal final actually was like the beginning of a new book/chapter. It rekindled my passion in an unforseen way. I expected a heavy defeat, but when victory came, it was ever so sweet. Maybe the fever will return next season.

BayernGAF is on fire today. Very well said! I'm already kind of excited about the transfer window, my ready to hitch myself fully to Pep bandwagon and wonder where it'll take us.

K1LLER7

Don't know how I'll feel come the start of next season.

Champions League football should help light a fire up my arse but it'll be difficult to get pumped up again after slip-gate.
If you keep Suarez and get a couple of signings in, could see Liverpool doing well in the CL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom