• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT25| Louis evangaalism strictly prohibited

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ramsey had an absolutely spectacular season to be fair to him. We were giving arsenal fans stick about comparing him to Vidal, but he did have a real good season. On current form he's above players like Fabregas, Gundogan (pls), et al

He didn't even have a full season. I love him and think that he was great last season, but i still think Fabregas is the better player and that he has ramsey beat in almost all aspects of the game. Ramseys long range passing can still be shocking.

GorillaJu

Juventus have five class centre midfielders, if you include Asabob too. Fuckers.

Class, but thankfully not world top 10. I reckon our lists are way too focused on top CL and PL teams as it is. There are excellent players scattered around the world that just haven't yet had the platform to show their talent at the top level.

Blablurn

Guardian sport @guardian_sport · 11 Min.

Arturo Vidal heads Louis van Gaal’s Manchester United wish list. Deal announcement coming soon.

sohois

I'll start with just a PL list, since that's the league I know best:

Toure
Fernandinho
Gerrard
Henderson
Matic
Ramsey
Arteta
Barry
McCarthy
Schneiderlin
Cabaye
Jedinak

and this is purely based on the last season, there are lots of very good midfielders who perhaps had some quite poor seasons.

Toure
Fernandinho
Gerrard
Henderson
Matic
Ramsey
Arteta
Barry
McCarthy
Schneiderlin
Cabaye
Jedinak

and this is purely based on the last season, there are lots of very good midfielders who perhaps had some quite poor seasons.

You picked the most complete and utter useless player that starts for Arsenal. He is behind Wilshere, Ozil, Ramsey, Ox, one legged Diaby, and Giroud if he decided to play as a CM

Wilbur

Banned
Sill can't get out the group stages of the champions league though init.

Moyes > Conte

Class, but thankfully not world top 10. I reckon our lists are way too focused on top CL and PL teams as it is. There are excellent players scattered around the world that just haven't yet had the platform to show their talent at the top level.

Eh, it's hard to say that midfielders in South America or whatever are as good as those in the CL though innit. Like, it always amuses me when commentators say "Bayern are the best in Europe, maybe the world"

Well... yeah.

Toure
Fernandinho
Gerrard
Henderson
Matic
Ramsey
Arteta
Barry
McCarthy
Schneiderlin
Cabaye
Jedinak

Arteta's dipped quite quickly in the last season or two I think.

Blablurn

jbduYh9lrwcVba_e.jpg

Razor554

Nah he'll flop when forced to play tiki taka

Dont think he will to be honest.

He is very versatile player who does what you ask of him. Can cover both Xavi and Iniesta in 4-3-3, can play as winger or even DM. Can shoot from range, dribble, very good passer both long and short, but I really like what he can provide on corners and free kicks; he's really good with both.

He's already a much better fit on this squad than Cesc simply because Cesc doesn't seem to be a player capable of coming off the bench and having an impact because he's not very versatile and doesn't bring much defensively. Rakitic is the opposite.

sohois

You picked the most complete and utter useless player that starts for Arsenal. He is behind Wilshere, Ozil, Ramsey, Ox, one legged Diaby, and Giroud if he decided to play as a CM

Moyes > Conte

Eh, it's hard to say that midfielders in South America or whatever are as good as those in the CL though innit. Like, it always amuses me when commentators say "Bayern are the best in Europe, maybe the world"

Well... yeah.

I was certainly tempted not to include him at all but his defensive contributions seemed still pretty sterling.

edit: seems I was just looking to include 2 arsenal midfielders, his defensive stats are no better than many other defensive midfielders who didn't make the list

3Sixty

Schneiderlin really does ooze class.

It's a shame he'll have to move to a media hype machine club to get the full recognition he deserves as the most well rounded defensive midfielder in football
that isn't a cunt named biscuits

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Sill can't get out the group stages of the champions league though init.

MAC.gif

we were never outplayed but still finished third, that's football for you :)

and you know what, I hope they continue to rip your team apart

RIP THEM APART AYRE! 3Sixty shall be known as The Flayed Man after this window

Labadal

We loaned Luis Alberto to Malaga?

Can't say I love the transfers Rodgers have made on the market. Borini, Aspas, Allen(mixed feelings), Assaidi, Moses loan, Sissokho loan, Luis Alberto.

We could have used Suso instead of buying Alberto.

I'm not liking the trend. Still don't know what to think of Sakho. He can be brilliant at times, but there is inconsistency just like Coutinho.

We overpaid for Lallana, just like we did with Allen.

Sturridge was a good buy and we'll see about Lambert.

Haven't seen Can play, so I can't comment on him yet.

:lol Shanks

Have you read more of Murakami?

Sadly, no. I am waiting for the World Cup to finish before I start reading again. Will have a good month of no decent TV shows and no new Arsenal signings from new week. Will jump into some of them then.

Isn't a new book due out soon?

3Sixty

Can't say I love the transfers Rodgers have made on the market. Borini, Aspas, Allen(mixed feelings), Assaidi, Moses loan, Sissokho loan, Luis Alberto.

I'm not liking the trend. Still don't know what to think of Sakho. He can be brilliant at times, but there is inconsistency just like Coutinho.

Lambert will be your best signing.

subtles

Sadly, no. I am waiting for the World Cup to finish before I start reading again. Will have a good month of no decent TV shows and no new Arsenal signings from new week. Will jump into some of them then.

Isn't a new book due out soon?

Yep! In August. It's what reminded me of your interest.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Cuadrado could be going to Barca

An improvement over Sanchez on the wing, and can play in the back too.

Mastadon

Banned

I agree to an extent, although there are some mitigating factors. We don't know how many of these players were actually wanted by Rodgers. Assaidi was clearly signed prior to him joining, and there was a lot of talk when we signed Alberto that it had come from the committee, rather than Rodgers. The loans were probably ill advised, but it seems like we didn't really have the money available to buy a competent LB at the time so our options were restricted. In fairness to Cissokho, he did a job for us.

Aspas was a bit of a bust, but it was near impossible for him to get any time in the team because of the form our strikers were in.

I think Sakho was comfortably our best defender last year, and looks like the type of player you can build a back six around. He'll be more confident this year too, which having watched France is clearly a big part of his game. Plus Sturridge, Coutinho, Mignolet (to an extent) have all proved their worth.

I think it's probably to fair to judge him more next season now he has more control and more money.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Atletico Madrid have emerged as new favourites to sign Juan Iturbe, with reports that the Spanish side are set to outbid Juventus.

The paper claims that the Vicente Calderon outfit are prepared to offer €25m for Iturbe, and send Leo Baatistao to Andrea Mandorlini’s men.

Juve are thought to be willing to only part with €23m.

WE ARE SO PATHETIC LOL

OVER TWO FUCKING MILLIONS

KILL ME AHAHHAHAATLYR^$J#$

who was the Fiorentina winger/FB we were always linked to? Surely not Cuadrado?

The others are pretty average so it must be him.

Got a good feeling about Tadic, but I don't even know why tbh.

I was certainly tempted not to include him at all but his defensive contributions seemed still pretty sterling.

He had a great 2013 when our defence was 10 yards deeper and we were playing more on the break. Liverpool at home was a high point for example, and both Dortmund games. Then in 2014 when all our pace vanished and we started playing higher up to compensate, we were left pretty wide open at times, and he doesn't have the legs to cope with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom