• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT7| The Ramsey Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nyx

I don't understand how it isn't obvious that this is the worst Dutch team in decades. You lost to Belgium last year. There, that's the whole argument.

That was a friendly, we suck in friendlies.

Dutch team definitely isn't worldclass atm, but the worst in decades? Hell no.

We're going to fuck big countries up during the WC, watch and weep my friend.

That was a friendly, we suck in friendlies.

Dutch team definitely isn't worldclass atm, but the worst in decades? Hell no.

We're going to fuck big countries up during the WC, watch and weep my friend.

Yeah, you guys haven't won a single friendly in a long time (since before Euros). That certainly wasn't good for your ranking. Only have yourselves to blame.

dc89

1381577_10151962931596064_165782098_n.jpg

Joke is on you

Sviat is always crying (inside)

Times have changed. With Russia qualified for the World Cup (two World Cups, actually) I'll be a happy man for a long time. Can't see much that can change that, not even another Zenit disaster in the CL.

Only tears of joy these days.

Lightning

Banned
Sviat can you explain it to Nyx pls. Dutch people clearly don't get it. :p
We get it. It's just wrong.

Sviat, your trash talking of our national side is going to bite you. Seeded or no seeded we are going to kick ass at the world cup. It just pisses me off on principle that we are not seeded, not that it damages our chances of doing well at the tournament. It doesn't make much difference since seeded teams can get groups of death too, and 1 or 2 of them are likely to get them. Hopefully Russia are in one of them.

We get it. It's just wrong.

Sviat, your trash talking of our national side is going to bite you. Seeded or no seeded we are going to kick ass at the world cup. It just pisses me off on principle that we are not seeded, not that it damages our chances of doing well at the tournament. It doesn't make much difference since seeded teams can get groups of death too, and 1 or 2 of them are likely to get them. Hopefully Russia are in one of them.

I haven't really been trash talking Netherlands. I made one quip about you losing to Belgium. That's about it. You guys have a solid team, might even be able to scrape out a draw against Russia.

In other news, I'm hearing that Russia is playing Brazil again in a friendly next month. Time to finish the fight, we were robbed of a win last time. And apparently it's going to be in Canada. Looks like I might get a chance to see us shit on Neymar in person.

Linius

I haven't really been trash talking Netherlands. I made one quip about you losing to Belgium. That's about it. You guys have a solid team, might even be able to scrape out a draw against Russia.

In other news, I'm hearing that Russia is playing Brazil again in a friendly next month. Time to finish the fight, we were robbed of a win last time. And apparently it's going to be in Canada. Looks like I might get a chance to see us shit on Neymar in person.

You've got to be joking :lol

Euro/Wold Cup finals weigh more than qualification matches.

That can't be truth. Belgium hasn't qualified for any tournament for over a decade now. We played the WC10 finale. And we did a better qualifiers run than them too. It's just the friendlies that bites us here. And since we've played friendlies against countries such as Italy and Portugal it's no surprise we didn't win all of them. And after the 2012 EC there was also that huge backlash against Belgium, we had to get our shit together around that time.

Lightning

Banned

You said this is one of the worst Dutch teams in decades which is an insult. We had a bad Euro's but our qualifiers for the last WC, the Euro completed last year and next years WC have been flawless. Our friendly results haven't been the best but we are not the only team that has fallen victim to that.

We have a pretty good team capable of beating majority of the seeded teams on a day where things click. It's the principle of us not being seeded that annoys the fuck out of me not that I think it damages our chances any, The only issue now is we could end up with Argentina, Brazil, Germany, Spain in our group which I didn't want. I didn't want to face any of those sides until the semi's if we made it that far, I like our chances against any of the other teams at the WC,

You've got to be joking :lol
Linius pls. Even Kerzhakov can score against Eredivisie defending.

You said this is one of the worst Dutch teams in decades which is an insult. We had a bad Euro's but our qualifiers for the last WC, the Euro completed last year and next years WC have been flawless. Our friendly results haven't been the best but we are not the only team that has fallen victim to that.

We have a pretty good team capable of beating majority of the seeded teams on a day where things click. It's the principle of us not being seeded that annoys the fuck out of me not that I think it damages our chances any, The only issue now is we could end up with Argentina, Brazil, Germany, Spain in our group which I didn't want. I didn't want to face any of those sides until the semi's if we made it that far, I like our chances against any of the other teams at the WC,
Only because you lost to Belgium. How could you let that happen? They're supposed to be your bitch What next, is Luxembourg going to move above you on the Benelux totem pole as well? Sorry Nyx, I know that loss must still hurt deep.

Linius

I'm not going to throw in any predictions for Brazil. I hope we get a good group at least. I mean we can always get Uruguay or Belgium as seeded team in our group :p

Linius

Even Switzerland? The FIFA really is a joke :lol

And yes Colombia I wouldn't mind either. So basically 50% chance for a good seeded country. Only wanna dodge Brazil, Germany, Spain and Italy if possible.

Even Switzerland? The FIFA really is a joke :lol

And yes Colombia I wouldn't mind either. So basically 50% chance for a good seeded country. Only wanna dodge Brazil, Germany, Spain and Italy if possible.

Netherlands cannot draw Italy. All the unseeded European teams will be in the same pot. Also means you can't get England, France, Portugal, Russia, etc in your group either.

Tc91

Haha, this is so me :lol

Let me check if it's in the New Leaf OT already, if not I'll post it there :p

:lol I said to Dan about a hour ago, "Linius will like that pic" cause I knew you played the shit out of AC.

It's true though :(, makes me want to go back and play it.

Give some compensation to countries hosting a world cup/euros is one thing that needs to be done, not sure how but it's a bit pathetic that the countries hosting drops down as much as they do as they can only play friendlies which counts little.

There is compensation. Host countries are automatically seeded.

There are several weaknesses and not everything can be improved by simply changing the formula, but getting additional points for successful qualifications would be the first step.
That's already accounted for though implicitly. By qualifying you have the opportunity to play in the World Cup/Continental Finals where the points you earn are weighted higher. Teams that fail to qualify don't have this opportunity.

Linius

:lol I said to Dan about a hour ago, "Linius will like that pic" cause I knew you played the shit out of AC.

It's true though :(, makes me want to go back and play it.

I checked it yesterday, 352 hours. I want to reach that 500 hours (biggest tree + gold badge). But that will be hard. But I haven't completely stopped. This month I'm collecting Halloween stuff. Also played the fishing tournament last saturday. So the day after I got Pokémon I played three hours of New Leaf :p

Well I'm off to work, call me when you guys fixed the FIFA ranking math.

But still drop down from the world ranking for further shit

also how the fuck did colombia get so high? must be a way to fix that.

The scary thing is that Colombia has potential to go even higher. Just look

2010 319.61
2011 397.71
2012 735.6
2013 629.1

Their points from 2010 and 2011 are shit. Once those no longer start counting and they keep up their decent results for the next while, they won't leave the top 5.

Neo C.

That's already accounted for though implicitly. By qualifying you have the opportunity to play in the World Cup/Continental Finals where the points you earn are weighted higher. Teams that fail to qualify don't have this opportunity.

Sure, but if a team fails in the World Cup, they'll lose tons of points and will rank lower than some who failed to qualify. It's quite funny to see Switzerland being seeded despite the disappointing last four years.

Sure, but if a team fails in the World Cup, they'll lose tons of points and will rank lower than some who failed to qualify. It's quite funny to see Switzerland being seeded despite the disappointing last four years.

For some teams this is definitely true. But if you crunch the numbers you would see that on the whole qualifying for the World Cup has a positive net expected result on your points total.

Sure the FIFA rankings aren't perfect. But they weren't really the actual problem in the past. The problem was FIFA being corrupt and changing everything at the last moment to get the seeding they wanted for previous World Cups. It's better now though since FIFA announced months in advance that the rankings will be used to seed teams for this one.

Tc91

I checked it yesterday, 352 hours. I want to reach that 500 hours (biggest tree + gold badge). But that will be hard. But I haven't completely stopped. This month I'm collecting Halloween stuff. Also played the fishing tournament last saturday. So the day after I got Pokémon I played three hours of New Leaf :p

Well I'm off to work, call me when you guys fixed the FIFA ranking math.

Damnnnnnnnn. I should go back and play it and grab that Halloween stuff.

Pokemon is sooo good though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom