• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT9|

Why did he leave Manure ?

First Piqué

iRSZDuOXVlvqm.gif

Because Fergie didn't want to give him a chance, nor did he pay him enough to stay. He only got 7 appearances and all of them were sub appearances. I think he played against Leeds, Aldershot, Bilbao, Wolves, Fulham, West Brom, and Stoke. I think he got the most minutes in the Leeds game which was a cup game.

People like to say he didn't perform well like Januzaj, and he didn't, but it's dumb to hold it against him as 20 minutes or so of gametime isn't enough time for a midfielder to impress. Midfielders aren't as flashy as attackers and thus stand out less.

His 2011/12 reserve performances weren't even bad either. It's a common misconception. He only played badly for the reserves when he was played out wide to accommodate Gibson and that was only for 2-3 games. He was also in and out of the reserves (like Ravel) as he was involved with the first team, but didn't get to play with the first team. I think the combination of the two made people rewrite his reserve history.

Finally, the money wasn't enough. I think he's on 20k Euros for Juve right? I think Juve payed Raiola (separate from the salary) too. I think he was asking for 35k from United as United make the player pay the agent through the player's salary. So the money was very similar. The talent he had deserved that kind of money and Juve recognized this.

Juve got a steal.

United believe a youngster shouldn't ask for that money as it would set a bad precedent, but it's clearly nonsense. There aren't a lot of players as talented as Pogba so you would rarely give out that kind of money to a player coming from the ranks. I think only Januzaj, Rossi, and Ravel deserved that kind of money and the rest could leave the club if they demanded that kind of money. We have plenty of talented players just outside that Januzaj-Pogba talent range that losing one or two wouldn't really hurt the club. Macheda for instance was never as good as those 4, but got overhyped due to that late winner. Rossi had much better all around skills, and had a much more impressive goal return at youth level. Welbeck, Lingard, Daehli, Cleverley, Pearson, Will Keane, Pereira, etc... are all talented young players, but I don't feel they are dead certs to make the first team. Daehli for instance was talented, but didn't perform as well as Januzaj or Pogba at youth level. Now he's doing well with Molde and could very well turn out a beast, but his youth performances didn't merit a contract as good as Januzaj's so I hope Daehli fans don't rewrite his youth history and paint him as some god on the level of Pogba, Ravel, etc...

I've already gotten over United Pogba. I still like watching Pogba play and will continue to watch Juve Pogba. I hope he does well.

Elchele

Took the bus back home from the university, as usual, and one of my teachers also took it, we sit together and talked all the way until we got to my street. She is pretty cool, and just 4 years older than me

TOTALLY WOULD

next thing to happen: Trezeguet cock blocking me

Salvadora

He has looked very good. Has he extended yet?

Hope Theo gets some minutes today.
No he hasn't, worryingly.

He deserves a new contract though, despite his age. Rosicky was instrumental in orchestrating our current run and is still a dynamite player, unlike some of the other pensioners still playing.

FootballFan

Took the bus back home from the university, as usual, and one of my teachers also took it, we sit together and talked all the way until we got to my street. She is pretty cool, and just 4 years older than me

TOTALLY WOULD

next thing to happen: Trezeguet cock blocking me

pics

pls

Plasma

Banned
Shame that Theo isn't starting he needs some game time, hopefully we don't wait until the 70th minute to bring him on.

Also Bendtner shouldn't be on the bench or anywhere near the squad right now.

wedward

No he hasn't, worryingly.

He deserves a new contract though, despite his age. Rosicky was instrumental in orchestrating our current run and is still a dynamite player, unlike some of the other pensioners still playing.

I am sure he will. He is still getting minutes in big games and Wenger obviously likes him. Probably haggling over money and the length of the contract.

FootballFan

--Pinto--
-Puyol---Pique--Mascherano--Montoya-
--------------Song---------
----- Xavi---------Iniesta------
-Pedro-----Cesc--------Neymar-

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
@KidA

You know who's better than Pogba though? Berardi. <3

Lol
Pogba is leaving in Juanuary and he'll be happy playing for an UCL contender.

To fund our January mercato? We don't need THAT much for Cerci, we'll sell Padoin or Peluso.

Salvadora

I am sure he will. He is still getting minutes in big games and Wenger obviously likes him. Probably haggling over money and the length of the contract.
Speaking of which, I'd like Wenger to sign a new contract sooner rather than later.

We'll never get drawn into a Spurs situation, but it'd be good for morale in the winter months.

Youri Mulder did you just say that any PL club spends as much as Barca on transfers (200+ million since 2010). Did you really just say that clubs like Norwich spend 40M each year?

Basel knocked you out of the Europa last season, no? Winning the Europa is beyond Zenit!

Only because Zenit can't score a penalty to save their lives. Plus, even as poorly as we've been playing recently nothing can match the disaster that was last season. Zenit 2013/14 Europa League Champs. All that's left to be decided is who we'll beat in the final, Benfica or Juventus.

And Basel beat United, Spurs and Chelsea too.

Salvadora

Mou really hates Mata.

Surely he will ask to leave in January?
Maybe, Maybe not but he isn't going to another English team regardless of what Mourinho thinks of him.
Come to Arsenal Mata. We could add you to our collection of attacking midfielders.

Imagine a midfield of Ozil, Santi, Ramsey and Mata. I think I just messed my pants thinking about it.
Fulfilling Pep's dream. 11 attacking midfielders.

Top Bottom