• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/2014 |OT1| Moyes, Master of Muppets

Status
Not open for further replies.

faridmon

Saw them at Reading 2010 when their album had just come out and I thought they were fucking naff
They were always shite
Hey man I wasn't on GAF a few years ago :p

Calvin Harris is such a pimp. And he's also very popular so y'know.

Edit: @Clegg yes it is. I haven't really been following the klaxons, are they up to much nowadays?
Everything that people like eventually gets shit on by the same people. Internet Forum circle of life.

Haha, fair enough.

Few years back, indie-GAF was quite active (I miss them so much) and I remember distinctly that Mumford and Sons debut album was the one to recommend amongst them. I haven't listen to them since i don't like folk that much.

Haha, fair enough.

Few years back, indie-GAF was quite active (I miss them so much) and I remember distinctly that Mumford and Sons debut album was the one to recommend amongst them. I haven't listen to them since i don't like folk that much.

I'm really bad for sounding like a hipster douchebag and saying I hate a now popular band, but its often because a band I follow changes its sound by about the 3rd album.

faridmon

I'm really bad for sounding like a hipster douchebag and saying I hate a now popular band, but its often because a band I follow changes its sound by about the 3rd album.

Don't they lose it in their 2nd album, most of them?

The Vaccines, Editors, The Strokes, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, The Killers
Interpol
etc...

Clegg

So, United are the most profitable club in the world yet we made a net profit of 70m on transfers in 2009 mostly by selling the then best player in the world and we replaced him with a Wigan player, Michael Owen and Gabriel Obertan, not to mention failing to secure Tevez on a permanent deal because the club didn't want to spend the money on him until it was too late.

5th biggest spenders since Glazers took over. Third I can understand due to dat dere oil money, but behind Liverpool and Spurs? Come on. United should be one of those Bayern Munich/Real Madrid/Barcelona super clubs right now, but unlike them we decided to start making £70,000,000 net profits after achieving success, rather than capitalising on our success and buying top players.

We couldn't afford to go all out on our spending back then. When we sold Ronaldo I wanted us to immediately reinvest most of that money back into the squad. But at the time we were over £600m in debt so we were kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place.

It was the Glazer's fault that we were laden with so much debt but not reinvesting heavily into the squad was the only smart business decision which they could make at the time. IIRC United made a massive loss that season even after selling Ronaldo. Like I said, we couldn't afford to spend the fee we'd received.

It's only in the last couple of years that we've seen our net debt drop to much more manageable levels. But even then we still owe £350m. For the next few seasons I wouldn't expect many signings of individual players to exceed £25m. We wouldn't have been able to sign RVP last summer if we were still in our 2009 financial position.

In recent seasons we've spent largish sums on players like Jones and De Gea. Partly because they have massive potential but also partly because they wouldn't be in a position to demand huge wages which their more experienced counterparts would demand. We've had to be a lot smarter with our signings because of our financial position. And in fairness to Fergie and his scouting team they've been pretty good. The only dud signing we've made is Ashley Young.

That's just the situation we find ourselves in. It's not fair because we really should be on an even financial footing to the likes of Bayern and Madrid. But we'll just have to make do.

Lightning

Banned
It's mid-July and the only player we've signed is a French unknown from Ligue 1 on a free transfer. Ivan & Wenger are both in Jakarta eating banoffee pie.

I wouldn't get your hopes up :(
I will judge and worry at the end of the window. I expect things to happen in the next 3 weeks.

dc89

Pretty bad yeah. Second fire on Oldham Street in about as many months too! The last one resulted in a big block of buildings being demolished, so if this one's still going, then it doesn't look good.

Yeah, it's a rough time in the Northern Quarter!

dc89

Yup.

Last year of contract.

Has a contract till 2015 apparently
Edit: ^ or maybe not

Would want him tied down to a long term contract. Promise him football. He clearly has the talent for it and will only get better the more he plays.

This is what winds me up about the Foetus' we have in football these days. City paid £1m for 15 year old Joan Roman. Then he leaves to Barca on a free. :/

Wes

venison crêpe
Watching Calvin Harris at T in the Park and he is so bland for a producer it is unbelievable. I still like the occasional release of his but this live show is dull as hell, but this young crowd are gorging on it.

Makes me appreciate the better live DJs at the likes of WMC and the ASOT tours much more.

noal

Banned
We couldn't afford to go all out on our spending back then. When we sold Ronaldo I wanted us to immediately reinvest most of that money back into the squad. But at the time we were over £600m in debt so we were kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place.

It was the Glazer's fault that we were laden with so much debt but not reinvesting heavily into the squad was the only smart business decision which they could make at the time. IIRC United made a massive loss that season even after selling Ronaldo. Like I said, we couldn't afford to spend the fee we'd received.

It's only in the last couple of years that we've seen our net debt drop to much more manageable levels. But even then we still owe £350m. For the next few seasons I wouldn't expect many signings of individual players to exceed £25m. We wouldn't have been able to sign RVP last summer if we were still in our 2009 financial position.

In recent seasons we've spent largish sums on players like Jones and De Gea. Partly because they have massive potential but also partly because they wouldn't be in a position to demand huge wages which their more experienced counterparts would demand. We've had to be a lot smarter with our signings because of our financial position. And in fairness to Fergie and his scouting team they've been pretty good. The only dud signing we've made is Ashley Young.

That's just the situation we find ourselves in. It's not fair because we really should be on an even financial footing to the likes of Bayern and Madrid. But we'll just have to make do.

Clegg. Perfect post. Fuck the Glaziers.

FootballFan

Right back is a position you can get away with a fairly average player. It's one of the reasons signing Baines for 18m bones is a ridiculous idea, especially given that he's 29 this year. You need quality players in some positions more than others.

Kheidra isn't a particularly great player but he is better than Fellaini
Although there isn't much separating them, I prefer Khedira's qualities over Fellaini's. My question was would Madrid be interested in Fellaini. The answer would probably be no since they already have loads of midfielders, all of whom are better than him and he wouldn't really fit into the Madrid mantra.

And he's shit.

This is the 2013 Madrid side we're talking about, not the shitbag 2006 side.

What the fucking shit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom