• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT4| Did you see that Ludogorets display last night?

K1LLER7

Andy Mitten on Espana United, Ander Herrera, and how we are now looking to Spanish and South American players:

"He's intense and gesticulates a lot. He gives a lot of importance to the ball and possession. If we have the ball it's easier to attack, that's his theory."

Ander Herrera, unlike the team that he plays for, has settled well this summer. He's found a house in Manchester and loves life at the club, finding Louis van Gaal similar in some respects to his previous manager, Marcelo Bielsa, another legendary character and hard taskmaster.

"He didn’t want me to be a player who played with the ball at my feet," recalls Herrera, who thrived under the Argentine's tutelage. "He wanted me to have a change of speed and dictate the pace of the game by varying the play. He was on my back 500 times. He’d insult me in every training session so that I did this. His rows were aggressive, but not insulting. He’d shout: “You’ve got to get into the f***ing box!”

"I once had my feet on a chair," recalls the Basque midfielder. "He came up to me and kicked the chair away. “Do you see me with my feet up?” asked the manager.'

"You’ve really got to like football a lot to put up with him," says Herrera. "I’m lucky as I love football. I watch videos. Others just like to play, not to watch or train. They really suffer under Bielsa. I was two years with him and always in the starting XI. 54 games with a groin strain. I’m thankful to him, but I really enjoyed my days off."

Herrera, however, will not be judged on past glories. He comes into a United side which conspicuously lacked flair last season and so far this term shows no sign of finding it. United didn't create a chance from open play in their first league game against Swansea City. They struggled to get the ball to their front men at Sunderland and hardly threatened in a shambolic performance at third tier MK Dons on Tuesday night - though most of the big names were rested. It's odd; for it's not like United will have a surfeit of games this season. The club have played 12 times in October/November in each of the last five seasons. With no European football or Capital One Cup, they'll play just six times over the same period this year.

Given the talent at the club including record new signing Angel Di Maria, the slide can’t continue. United have bought four players this summer, three of them Spanish speakers. For the first time in the club's history, the Old Trafford club could field a side where the majority of players are native Spanish speakers. It's unlikely that Marcos Rojo, Angel Di Maria, Javier Hernandez, Antonio Valencia, David de Gea, Juan Mata and Herrera will ever play in the same side together there's every chance Hernandez, and even Valencia or Mata won't be at the club a year from now, but United are now more likely to look outside England to Spain and South America for players.

United is also a club in a state of flux. Van Gaal has used 28 different players in just three competitive matches, but he's an experienced manager who will find what works for him. That's what fans hope.

The Spanish speakers will stick together socially in northern England and mix easily with compatriots like David Silva and Sergio Aguero at Manchester City, but they'll be encouraged to speak English in the dressing room at all times. Past coaches have berated players for not speaking in English, though some have learned better than others.

Herrera has taken integration seriously and already insists that he does interviews in English so that his level improves. He's been at the club less than three months. De Gea, who joined in 2011, gave his first interview in English in May 2014.

Spain and Argentina produce a disproportionate number of the world's best footballers, with their talents being one of their most successful exports as both countries suffer economic hardship. It's the economics of the all-powerful Premier League which drive the players to England, but it's to the players credit that they're prepared to leave their comfort zone. There's not a single English player in the Spanish top-flight.

There are now over 400 Spanish footballers playing in 60 different countries, from Herrera, Mata and Torres who make up the 52 professional Spanish players in England, to the 26 Spanish professionals who make their living in Cyprus - a testament to the strength of a youth system which continues to produce players of the highest quality. Van Gaal has desperate need of their services and Herrera seems to be exactly the type the Dutchman admires - versatile, intelligent and highly professional.

Kill3r7

That clubs ripps United off with inflated prices. They need someone that negotiats better.

It's hard to negotiate well when you have no leverage.

Everyone knows United is desperate for talent and we aren't exactly buying wantaway talent, add to that no CL and you have nothing but money. Yes Di Maria was expensive but he was going to cost a boatload no matter who signed him, be it PSG or United.

P.S. I'm not saying Woodward isn't horrible at his job but I understand it somewhat.

lol reading news articles about the CL draw is so funny. So many Liverpool fans complaining about being in pot 3 and hating on Arsenal for being in pot 1. Rest of the comments are people bringing up United.

Jack cw

It's obvious that Bayern is in a much better position to do transfers. You can't really compare them with United.

All clubs know that we have 3 injured central midfielders and its basically the end of the transfer window, so there is pressure. Of course we're in a better position, but those prices are still way too high. I mean they basically payed 190 million EUR for players worth 110 million.
lol

Is that the Sport1 building where they do the Doppelpass?

Yes. Its the Hotel at the airport in Munich.

F365 said:
Marcos Rojo could be made to wait until after the international break to make his Man United debut with the Premier League yet to officially sign off his move from Sporting Lisbon due to third-party ownership issues.

Well done guys.

Jack cw

P.S. I'm not saying Woodward isn't horrible at his job but I understand it somewhat.

Maybe United or Woodward should have shut his mouth last winter about all the money Moyes could spend. Sure, there's no real leverage than money, but the situation you are in with transfers is self inflicted.

El Topo

All clubs know that we have 3 injured central midfielders and its basically the end of the transfer window, so there is pressure. Of course we're in a better position, but those prices are still way too high. I mean they basically payed 190 million EUR for players worth 110 million.

To be fair, they'd be getting two world class players in their prime with Vidal and Di Maria. Shaw is an English talent and it's an inner-English transfer, so naturally they'd have to pay more. Rojo is a very solid talent, Herrera....no idea about him.

I'd say €120m-€150m would've been fine.

Maybe United or Woodward should have shut his mouth last winter about all the money Moyes could spend. Sure, there's no real leverage than money, but the situation you are in with transfers is self inflicted.

It's not like we're strapped for cash. As long as we get good players in positions we need, I couldn't give a shit how much they cost at this point.

To be fair, they'd be getting two world class players in their prime with Vidal and Di Maria. Shaw is an English talent and it's an inner-English transfer, so naturally they'd have to pay more. Rojo is a very solid talent, Herrera....no idea about him.

The problem with Herrera is that we bought him from Bilbao and he was never going for any less than his buyout clause.

Kill3r7

Yes. Its the Hotel at the airport in Munich.

I'll be the first to admit Bayern are great at signing the players they want/need. They have an absolute stranglehold on the Bundesliga and are an amazingly well run organization with a ton of money. Not surprising they can get deals done in a timely fashion and on favorable terms.

Jack cw

I'm not questioning the quality of the palyers, they are great. It's the cocky statement with 250 million from Woodward that led United into this bazar of inflated prices.
Edit: As long as United gets the players its fine, its just that this has effects on other transfers as well. Look at Luiz or Mangala.

K1LLER7

HYPE

BwINQ9yIEAAlKKx.jpg

I'm not questioning the quality of the palyers, they are great. It's the cocky statement with 250 million from Woodward that led United into this bazar of inflated prices.

Di Maria wouldn't have gone to another club for any less.

Juventus have no intention of selling Vidal to anyone unless they pay up.

The other transfers aren't really that bad in comparison.

Wilbur

Banned
Oh my god im still on page 392 of the old thread but I've just seen Colback was called up and not Cattermole please tell me Hixx had a fit I cannot wait to read it.

Edit: As long as United gets the players its fine, its just that this has effects on other transfers as well. Look at Luiz or Mangala.

Or maybe it is because Utd has the largest shirt sponsorship deal with Chevrolet, and now the biggest kit manufacturer deal with Adidas. I think those things may well have caught the attention of other clubs more than Woodie bragging.

Jack cw

Di Maria wouldn't have gone to another club for any less.

Juventus have no intention of selling Vidal to anyone unless they pay up.

The other transfers aren't really that bad in comparison.

Not so sure. This isn't like buyout clauses in contracts. Di Maria had one, but he was on the list. Perez wanted to ditch him but he didnt make the same mistake again as he did with Sneijder and Robben. If you had taken your time and had someone better the price for di Maria would have been 10 million less. You payed the transfer fee to the club. Convincing di Maria with money to join is another thing. I am not talking about wages, only the fee.
Or maybe it is because Utd has the largest shirt sponsorship deal with Chevrolet, and now the biggest kit manufacturer deal with Adidas. I think those things may well have caught the attention of other clubs more than Woodie bragging.

I really dont think that other clubs do care about where your money comes from m8. You were bragging with it and pay the price.

Not so sure. This isn't like buyout clauses in contracts. Di Maria had one, but he was on the list. Perez wanted to ditch him but he didnt make the same mistake again as he did with Sneijder and Robben. If you had taken your time and had someone better the price for di Maria would have been 10 million less. You payed the transfer fee to the club. Convincing di Maria with money to join is another thing. I am not talking about wages, onle the fee.

We don't really have time. Look what happened last summer.

PSG were also interested, but they turned him down because the price was too high.

Oh my god im still on page 392 of the old thread but I've just seen Colback was called up and not Cattermole please tell me Hixx had a fit I cannot wait to read it.

He did. He seems genuinely upset.

Roy isn't going to call up players from little clubs, it's just the way it is.

Clegg

United have had a good transfer window in terms of incomings. But when look at it in context it's been an absolute disaster. It's farcical that we're still scrambling for another midfielder with just 4 days left.

Bold One

United have had a good transfer window in terms of incomings. But when look at it in context it's been an absolute disaster. It's farcical that we're still scrambling for another midfielder with just 4 days left.

mainly down to owaiting for the WC to end and for LVG to assess his squad, that said, he's only been there for 6 weeks not ample time to trim the boated mess that Man United FC

Top Bottom