• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT8| - Sunderland 0

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
21 mins still no clear chance, good ball from RvP aside Palace are defending well

Januzaj has been careless the last few minutes. He and Di Maria have lost the ball a couple of times, but at least they're trying to make something happen.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
If Adnan and Di Maria are off we are really going to struggle to create things

Marc

We're not gonna suddenly become a boss attacking unit, but his movement and close control ensures that chances fall to him, and the ball stays alive in the box. Plus, Coutinho needs a striker making clever runs in order to perform to his best, and Balotelli is frankly a fucking idiot when it comes to attacking movement. He either runs offside, he doesn't run at all, or he runs in the wrong direction.

And he's just someone who can occupy 2 defenders at once. At the moment, Balotelli is being easily marked by a single player, leaving an extra defender to congest the edge of the box at all times. You can't really leave 1 centreback on Sturridge though, since he does a bit of everything. Runs off the back, drops for the ball, shifts to either wing. He's too much for 1 player to track for 90 minutes

I am his biggest fan but just seems like the squad is shrugging their shoulders, giving up and putting all their eggs in the Sturridge basket. Really dangerous attitude to have, especially with Sturridge. If he starts thinking he has to do everything you see the worst of what he is as a player. Coutinho and him have a great understanding but Coutinho can go missing in games too often as he is young still, the others still need to add more. Will be interesting to see how Lallana develops and whether those 3 can build an understanding as they suit each other in theory. I was positive about the Balotelli signing but when you look at him and what he has done previously, all this talk of a top talent isn't really justified. Think I bought into the hype surrounding his training exploits, and that Italy goal.

Yeah, he isn't playing smart, doesn't drop deep, play the ball and look to get in behind which suits your team better. Not a smart player in general to be honest. Still, it is a lot to ask of Sturridge as one striker can be marked out of the game easily enough. Others around him need to remain an option. Too often I see your players pass it now and think "job done" and not move to a new position to receive it back, like they have no faith in each other. Worst case scenario I am picturing is the team pass to Sturridge, let him run with it, not track the run and offer a passing option so he decides to try and score a worldie from 30 yards thinking he has to save the team on his own. Players and fans get on his back and his confidence gets knocked, which is really quite fragile unfortunately. Not to mention the injury, trying to do too much and create a new injury.

Jarnet87

I remember when Wayne Rooney use to influence games with his pace and and movement. Now he waddles around the pitch and the best we can hope for is a goal, and then we call that a good performance from him.

Mr Cola

Reminds me a bit of last season, all the possession, but no actual chances

Jarnet87

Adnan Young. Some stutter steps, and then a pathetic ball that doesn't get past the first defender. Di Maria can't do anything since CP are defending their own box and he's working with a bunch of potatos.

Mr Cola

Gosh Palace are painful to watch, have a chance to counter and end up passing it back to their keeper. Please destroy them United

Our game involves passing it inside the middle, the player receiving the ball then turns back towards our goal and plays it back or out wide.

For some reason everyone who receives the ball in space refuses to go forward and attack with the ball :|

januzaj has regressed from the time he scored two goals against sunderland

Why do people still say this? He was United's best player the very next game after Sunderland.

Anyways, the problem with him right now is that he's taking too much time on the ball. He looks more comfortable in central positions.

Top Bottom